Wildfire Watch/ Drought Watch

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
edited August 2019 in A Moving Train
For those of us in California, fire and drought are big news. On the way home from a brief trip to the coast I spotted this event in the distance as it just started taking place:

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/25/6583474/wildland-fire-burning-in-el-dorado.html

The unsettling thing is they say fire season has just begun and this years is going to be brutal. The fire in the article above rages about 18 south of us and much closer to a few friend's places.

The latest on the drought:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/07/25/research-californias-drought-situation-more-dire-than-we-realize/

Gonna be a long summer.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    The latest accorting to YubaNet.com:

July 27, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    Report of a new vegetation fire, approximately 10 miles east from the Sand Fire. Diverting some aircraft to it.

Not what we wanted to hear. :-(
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    There's just been a huge water main break near here, at UCLA. Sinkhole, water spewing almost violently, flooding all over the place.

It's heartbreaking to see such a precious resource going to waste like this.

(and, almost an hour since it started and DWP has yet to get their asses on site)
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    hedonist said:

There's just been a huge water main break near here, at UCLA. Sinkhole, water spewing almost violently, flooding all over the place.

(and, almost an hour since it started and DWP has yet to get their asses on site)

Shit,you guys can't afford to waste it.Isnt LA and OC under like a drought or water shortage.I have fam in So Cal and I thought they mentioned it.
    hedonist said:

Yes, major bummer. Sorry to hear about that.

What really gets me is seeing water wasted unnecessarily. On our way back from the coast a couple of days ago we traveled through the central valley and spotted several farms running sprinklers- not drip- on crops during the hottest part of the afternoon with temps in the low 100's- not a wise watering plan. I also spotted at least two orchards that were flooded with standing (i.e. evaporating) water and a few farms with overspill water doing nothing but watering dirt and weeds. Crazy.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2014
    I just keep wondering where the 55 million or so people who are going to end up living in a place with NO water are going to go once it's gone.
    From everything I've read and seen on this issue, all those places that get most of their water from Lake Mead or other major non-local reservoirs are INEVITABLY going to be basically unlivable (and certainly unable to sustain any agriculture) because of a lack of water. And they are using up all the groundwater too, at a rate that is the exact opposite of sustainable. This may happen in our lifetimes. This drought is bring more attention to it, but even if the drought ever ends, they're still going to be fucked. So then what????
    Are people already leaving? Isn't the real estate market in these places completely crashing, since only a crazy person would move there at this point? Or are people just keeping their heads stuck in the sand and waiting to be forced to find another place to live and work? Wtf is LA going to do? Las Vegas? Etc? :-? I've heard of some desalinization project for several cities in Southern California.... is that really feasible for the whole area I wonder? For the whole southwest? If so, will that destroy the ocean's ecosystem while they're at it?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Eight to ten MILLION gallons of water gone to waste yesterday.

Good questions, PJ Soul...I don't have answers, but a couple of suggestions. Maybe some - or parts of - the prized golf courses in California could be sacrificed while this is happening? It doesn't matter how expensive the club dues are; they won't make water magically appear.

And maybe our state (I'm looking at you, Gov. Brown) could use some of the funds earmarked for, say, the rail projects. Stash those projects for now, since our "need" for them isn't dire. Put that money toward replacing the old-ass pipes underneath our city.

By the way, seems the real estate prices out here - in my general area - have been on the rise. Go figure!

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Water conservation my ass. They are playing indoor water volleyball in southern california now!

B-)
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    hedonist said:

B-)

:D
    Jason P said:

Water conservation my ass. They are playing indoor water volleyball in southern california now!

Dude,that's just a defrosted hockey rink.Bruin Hockey Rules!!!
    rr165892 said:

Jason P said:

No no no no, that's close but not quite. It's the new Frozen Gelatin Jumping Ice Hockey. Players must be adept at jumping fences as well as skating on the very slick frozen gelatin. Any more sports questions? Just ask me, The Sports Guy. ;-)

brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

Jason P said:

No no no no, that's close but not quite. It's the new Frozen Gelatin Jumping Ice Hockey. Players must be adept at jumping fences as well as skating on the very slick frozen gelatin. Any more sports questions? Just ask me, The Sports Guy. ;-)

Ok,Bri then answer me this.I don't want to come off like a pig here .Does jumping jello hockey have a woman's team? I am interested in becoming a booster and I'm really glad title 9is still in effect.lol
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited August 2014
    hedonist said:

Eight to ten MILLION gallons of water gone to waste yesterday.

Good questions, PJ Soul...I don't have answers, but a couple of suggestions. Maybe some - or parts of - the prized golf courses in California could be sacrificed while this is happening? It doesn't matter how expensive the club dues are; they won't make water magically appear.

And maybe our state (I'm looking at you, Gov. Brown) could use some of the funds earmarked for, say, the rail projects. Stash those projects for now, since our "need" for them isn't dire. Put that money toward replacing the old-ass pipes underneath our city.

By the way, seems the real estate prices out here - in my general area - have been on the rise. Go figure!

that's like 8-10 golf courses or so in the desert operating as usual on a daily basis.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/230876/obama-visits-calfornia-drought-area-golfs-at-water-sucking-desert-courses

they should be ashamed of themselves. as the saying goes, 'heads are buried in the sand'
    but as long as the country clubs & other golf courses are green in the desert it's all good.

by the way, country club members should be beat w/ golf cart bumpers & thrown on top of cactus & rock
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Yup, chadwick - and you can double those numbers since it now appears to be twice what I originally said has been lost.

That green can be found and created by so many other means, even the cactus (cacti?) you mention. Really, what's more important, clean available water, or something aesthetically pleasing to a few?

Our younger cat George has a fixation with water. He'll sit on the bathroom counter meowing for us to turn on the faucet like his life depends on it (truth be told, pretty fucking cute). He's now limited to 15 seconds of slurping.
    rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

Jason P said:

Ok,Bri then answer me this.I don't want to come off like a pig here .Does jumping jello hockey have a woman's team? I am interested in becoming a booster and I'm really glad title 9is still in effect.lol
    Oh, definitely. Women's Frozen Gelatin Jumping Ice Hockey is awesome and the boosters get to make all that jello. Have fun!

hedonist said:

Yup, chadwick - and you can double those numbers since it now appears to be twice what I originally said has been lost.

That green can be found and created by so many other means, even the cactus (cacti?) you mention. Really, what's more important, clean available water, or something aesthetically pleasing to a few?

Our younger cat George has a fixation with water. He'll sit on the bathroom counter meowing for us to turn on the faucet like his life depends on it (truth be told, pretty fucking cute). He's now limited to 15 seconds of slurping.

Ah Ha! Our Annie knows that same trick. Due to the drought I have to put the faucet on a very slow drip for a short while and she looks at me like, "THAT'S IT??" But her bowl is always full of fresh water. :-)

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    Hedonist and brianlux... you've painted an adorable picture of your cats begging for water, getting what they want, and then cooing under the tap for a few moments in blissful heaven.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
    Our cats are like hilarious, perpetual children...not spoiled (mostly) but admit my husband and I are suckers for their antics, mews, and exposed bellies!

This is part of why we chose to have no kids :)
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    Hedonist and brianlux... you've painted an adorable picture of your cats begging for water, getting what they want, and then cooing under the tap for a few moments in blissful heaven.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
    We spent our day off/ my pre-b.day day up at the summit off US 50 checking out the wildflowers and...holy shit...it...RAINED! Not sure it was enough to affect 99.9% of the state but we'll take anything we can get!

Happy (belated?) birthday!

My co-worker/buddy did a 35-mile two day hike on Mt. Baldy this weekend. In the rain! Definitely could use it - we got some down here Saturday evening and Sunday morning - but damn, the damage it did up there.
    hedonist said:

Happy (belated?) birthday!

My co-worker/buddy did a 35-mile two day hike on Mt. Baldy this weekend. In the rain! Definitely could use it - we got some down here Saturday evening and Sunday morning - but damn, the damage it did up there.

(mañana , thanks :-) )

That's dedication to hiking!

Almost said, "Good to hear you're getting a little precip. as well" but when it causes havoc, maybe not such good timing. Erosion, I'm guessing?

Aw! You share a birthday with my late but beloved uncle. A good day to be born, it seems!

Yeah, this dude also did a weekend hike through the Grand Canyon recently. Oh to be thirty again :D

Where we are (lovely flatlands of West Hollywood), it was really nice to get, though muggy as hell. But the mudslides in the mountains were caused by this fucking drought! Nothing to anchor all that water.
    A friend of mine sent me this article- no link so here it is:

There's another side effect of the drought in California that many people
    haven't yet considered: Removing all that ground water is causing
    *earthquakes* as the ground caves in due to unprecedented water extraction:

Originally published August 18 2014 How California's extreme drought will
    lead to a wave of earthquakesby Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

(NaturalNews) With about 60 percent of the state now limping through the
    worst categorical level of drought on record, California faces an
    unprecedented water crisis that, besides triggering shortages, stands to
    greatly influence the availability of fresh produce nationwide. And as far
    as its own residents and the residents of nearby states are concerned,
    there is an additional threat also waiting in the wings: the increased
    likelihood of earthquakes.

A new study published in the journal *Nature* raises some serious questions
    about the stability of California now that underground aquifers are
    plunging to record lows. All throughout the Central Valley, which grows
    most of the nation's lettuce, almonds and other produce, more water is
    being pumped out of the ground than is being put back in, a phenomenon that
    researchers say is causing the ground to shift.

According to a team of geologists led by Colin B. Amos from Western
    Washington University, the subterranean landscape beneath the earth, also
    known as the lithosphere, is literally separating from the land on top
    throughout California. The California Coast Ranges, the Tehachapi
    Mountains, and the southern Sierra Nevada, says *TakePart*'s Chris Clarke,
    are rising by as much as three millimeters per year, or roughly an inch
    every 10 years.

A series of 500 GPS recorders carefully placed throughout the Central
    Valley and its surrounding mountains revealed that the water table
    throughout the area is rapidly dwindling. This means that the 176
    billion-ton water load that
    normally holds down the lithosphere is becoming increasingly lighter,
    resulting in a land separation that, historically speaking, has made the
    ground more prone to seismic activity.

"Groundwater pumping unburdens the lithosphere," said William Hammond, a
    geologist at the University of Nevada and co-author of the study, as quoted
    by *TakePart*. "When you pump that much groundwater, the load gets taken
    away and the landscape essentially bounces up. The Sierra Nevada is rising
    more quickly as a result of groundwater pumping in the Great Valley."

2011 earthquake in Spain caused by water overdrafts, say scientists Back in
    2011, a 5.2-magnitude earthquake that rocked Lorca, Spain, killing 10
    people and causing extensive infrastructure damage, was found to have been
    caused by the overdraft of water from local aquifers. A cohort of
    researchers determined that, based on the fault slip pattern and movement
    of land at the surface, changes in aquifer volumes were the most likely
    cause of the quake.

"The area of fault slip correlates well with the pattern of positive
    Coulomb stress change that we calculate to result from the extraction of
    groundwater in a nearby basin aquifer," wrote the authors of a study
    published in the journal *Nature Geoscience*. "Our results imply that
    anthropogenic activities could influence how and when earthquakes
    occur."

In the Central Valley, a similar phenomenon has been documented in relation
    to when the most water is drawn from underground aquifers to nourish crops.
    In the late summer and early fall, according to geologists, the Parkfield
    section of the infamous San Andreas Fault system typically experiences
    increased seismic activity exceeding 1.25 magnitude or higher, which is
    also the time when the most water is drawn.

"That seasonal change means loading and unloading on the lithosphere,"
    added Hammond. "The earth flexes up and down, and small earthquakes seem to
    respond to that."

*Sources for this article include:*

http://www.takepart.com

http://www.nature.com

http://www.bbc.com

http://science.naturalnews.com

look up 'honeybees or beekeepers of california drought'

you're welcome

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

you're welcome

This bee thing is really bad. I wish more attention were being paid to it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

you're welcome

i am pretty certain your average asshole or person doesn't give a shit nor understands a damn thing about honeybees or even anything outside their silly shit

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

you're welcome

i am pretty certain your average asshole or person doesn't give a shit nor understands a damn thing about honeybees or even anything outside their silly shit
    If the media started covering it and outlining just what horrors a lack of them entails a lot more people would be engaged.
  • lazlobluelazloblue Houston Posts: 738
    Any one ever see Bee Movie? super cheeze, but the point of loosing the honey bees was made.
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
    Not to diminish the importance of honey bees to our current means of existence, but I think it is worth noting that honey bees are not native to north America and that indigenous people got along just fine without them.