*** Vienna Fanviews Here 6/25/14 ***

Comments

• jaykay20jaykay20 Mannheim, Germany Posts: 379
    edited July 2014
    This was my first Pearl Jam show and I had a blast. Went there from Germany by bus and stood in front of Jeff in 3rd/4th row. All the waiting in the line from early morning on was really worth it. All I can say, great setlist and terrific crowd (at least where I was standing). Sad to hear that there were a bunch of idiots ruining the show for some people. Can't wait for the bootleg. In the meantime I am listening to the audience recording. http://wegotshit.blogspot.de/2014/06/vienna-austria-062514-audience.html
    Post edited by jaykay20 on
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    jaykay20 said:

This was my first Pearl Jam show and I had a blast. Went there from Germany by bus and stood in front of Jeff in 3rd/4th row. All the waiting in the line from early morning on was really worth it. All I can say, great setlist and terrific crowd (at least where I was standing). Sad to hear that there were a bunch of idiots ruining the show for some people. Can't wait for the bootleg. In the meantime I am listening to the audience recording. http://wegotshit.blogspot.de/2014/06/vienna-austria-062514-audience.html

that's one hell of a first show!

Me and 2 friend drove from Denmark.. 17 hours but sooo worth it!

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • jaykay20jaykay20 Mannheim, Germany Posts: 379
    17 hours, not bad! I had to stay overnight in Munich but I would do it the same way again and again.
    that's one hell of a first show!
    You are damn right! I forgot to mention the band's joy of playing. There is a good chance that I'm now spoiled for future shows of any band.
  • kamilaaakamilaaa Warsaw Posts: 44
    edited July 2014
    My second Pearl Jam show. Many funny stories connected with it. I came to Vienna on 19th and it was my first ten club gig so me and my best friend we were totally lost in policy, calls getting numbers and so on, but all of you who were there were amazingly helpful! Thanks for that! We came there around 11 am and got the second row on Stone's side.
    I study Graphic Design in Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw and I did something for Eddie it was kind of poster-request-thanks for music thing. I was carrying it with me for 3 days in case I bump into them in town, but the only person we bumped into was Putin when he was leaving Ritz in Vienna. The last person I wanted to meet in my life ever! :/
    So I took the etching to the gig and made some kind of sign on small sheet of paper. On the pit we accidentally sat next to the Polish guy whom we met in the queue and they said that's a great idea and they're gonna help me drag Eddie's attention. The gig was awesome, best setlist that I could imagine and during jam at the end of Even Flow Eddie stood on the speakers started pointing at me to the guard and poured me a cup of wine ( I was so experienced with all this wine thing that I didn't have any cup, so he had to take one from the stage ones). The guard gave me the wine and than gave Eddie the etching on which he glazed and put somewhere on stage. It was Eddie's portrait on blue background and Eddie's hair were transforming into a rat. So that was kind of rats request. And they played it 2 or 3 songs later, but I guess it could have been a coincidence. Anyway it was one of the greatest things in my life and the guys let me rock in the first row and they took care of us. In Gdynia after Open'er I met Eddie and he recognized me and when I mentioned the etching I saw his eyes got wider and he rembered it and I got pick from him :)
    I found a movie from this moment on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTPHGiDJPpM 4:51 the whole thing starts:)

And these are my pics
    imageimage

Still want to find ou this guy's name, because i promised to send him this pic:)
    Sorry for such a long post
    Post edited by kamilaaa on
    Berlin 2 2012 | Vienna 2014| Berlin 2014| Gdynia 2014| Berlin EV solo 2017| Heartland Festival EV solo 2017| Amsterdam 2 2018| Pinkpop 2018| Padova 2018| Rome 2018| Prague 2018| Kraków 2018| Berlin 2018| Rock Werchter 2018| Barcelona 2018| London 2 rescheduled 2018| Berlin EV solo 2019| Dusseldorf EV solo 2019
    cool drawing! like REALLY cool!

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkSCWK655Vk

:x

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    eladfrn said:

Sorry but I have to share this with you and maybe you can tell me if I acted the right way or not.
    This was my wife and I 3rd show on the tour (Milan and Trieste). The set list was amazing but other stuff simply destroyed our experience.
    We were on the 5th row in front of Mike and there were two "nice" guys standing next to us. Before they show started they were very nice, telling everyone that this is their 80~ show.
    When the distortion songs started they started pushing and knocking everyone around them. I had to protect my wife from been pushed to the ground. We asked them to relax but they
    ignored us. After awhile we moved a bit and these guys moved again next to us and continue with their act. That pissed me off and when one of them jumped on me I grabbed him and
    pushed few meters away, almost starting a fight with both of them. Another guy separated us and then they started acting like assholes. they stood in front of us and blocked
    our view and every now and then turn around and gave me the finger :) We are talking about 35+ years old guys. This really ruined our show and I told my wife we have
    to move from there to enjoy the rest of the evening. we moved back but the experience really destroyed the show for my wife.I know this is a rock show and people feel energized.
    You can jump, you can shout but you cannot push other people and treat them like they don't exists.

hey i was right behind that 8ft tall guy who stood between you when a fight looked possible! His lady did not enjoy herself one bit, she should have moved to the back or stayed home, she was a buzzkill. Not trying to invalidate what you said or anything, but it was only a 4 or 5 person moshpit and it wasnt particularly wild. Yes, they were douchy as possible, but none of them was even average in height and build and you failed to mention that one of the moshers was a woman. It wasnt hard for my 125lb wife to stay up when they came surging...shes pretty tough though! Douches, yes, tbut you cant lettthat ruin o ne of the best shows ever,its a big venu e and the front isnt thplace for evepryone! What an amaz show! we anre so lucky to have been soclose for su ch a nitght
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

thank you very much. Maybe someday I'll manage to make a poster
    Berlin 2 2012 | Vienna 2014| Berlin 2014| Gdynia 2014| Berlin EV solo 2017| Heartland Festival EV solo 2017| Amsterdam 2 2018| Pinkpop 2018| Padova 2018| Rome 2018| Prague 2018| Kraków 2018| Berlin 2018| Rock Werchter 2018| Barcelona 2018| London 2 rescheduled 2018| Berlin EV solo 2019| Dusseldorf EV solo 2019
  • kein_geredekein_gerede Posts: 106
    kamilaaa said:

thank you very much. Maybe someday I'll manage to make a poster
    VERY COOL DRAWING!

Hope so!
    15.08.09 Berlin, 04.07.12 Berlin, 05.07.12 Berlin, 25.06.14 Vienna
  • Ah! I cant see the drawing!

this one
    Yep, that's the one. Eddie was a continuation of a concept I came up with for this one: https://www.behance.net/gallery/16781943/The-Trumpeter
    the elephant man?

i like this one too!
  • Yeah! I can see it now! It's amazing! Your photo's too @kein_gerede !

This is a video my friend made from the show! The soundtrack is set on SOLAT!
    edited July 2014
    thanks! but I only copied it from the post above, because you couldn't see it. it's not mine.
    Post edited by kein_gerede on

Yeah! I can see it now! It's amazing! Your photo's too @kein_gerede !

This is a video my friend made from the show! The soundtrack is set on SOLAT!

I'm in it! (like a whole lot of others :) ) good job by your friend!

• Oh! Sorry! @kamilaa your drawing is pretty amazing!

@PeArLgOoNeR That's the reason I've shared it! She's the best, my friend!
  • Some great photos in this thread - really captured the experience.

Vienna was my 11th show and I had just come off a great trip taking in Budapest and Vienna - both beautiful cities. I did have a feeling about this show before the tour commenced and you felt that it could be one of the sleeper shows. I didn't get off to the best start getting soaked on the way to the venue following a downpour but it was great to meet up with members of the community some of whom I had only just met. Ticket buddy was sorted quickly and I grabbed a something to eat and just relaxed in the venue café/bar before the show. There was word coming round that there a 10c section at the front and after getting into the venue we found this to be the case and it seemed to be very organised.

The show? I've been lucky enough to see some great PJ shows and it has been always a fantastic experience. Despite this there had been a little part of me that felt I have missed out on some the most talked about 'epic' shows of previous tours (I'm thinking Dusseldorf 2007, London 09, Berlin 10, Amsterdam 12) but after seeing this show in Vienna I knew I had seen something really special. The band were really were firing on all cylinders and the show just kept going and going, it was relentless. Brilliant encores (I think I had a permanent smile etched on my face during both) but what I really took from it was how well the set flowed and how much the band were enjoying themselves. Some many great songs and cover versions to even start to mention.

Amazing night and I wondered how any other future show could come close. Best of the eleven I had seen.
    2007 London
    2009 Manchester
    2010 Dublin / London
    2012 Manchester I & II / Berlin I & II / EV: Manchester
    2014 Amsterdam I & II / Vienna / Berlin / Leeds

Oh! Sorry! @kamilaa your drawing is pretty amazing!

@PeArLgOoNeR That's the reason I've shared it! She's the best, my friend!

thanks! ;) could you post just a link, because this time I can´t see a thing ;(
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    So cook fotos
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited July 2014
    @dimitrispearljam if you mean mine, then big thanks :D Thinking about creating some flickr album or sth like this cause I have lots of them...
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    kamilaaa said:

@dimitrispearljam if you mean mine, then big thanks :D Thinking about creating some flickr album or sth like this cause I have lots of them...

Yep..those are awesome..thanks for sharing
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    revisiting Vienna in my mind every day..

• ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,877

Same here! I always had mixed feelings with my hometown show. I knew that the location is horrible, from past concerts i knew that the Austrian audience is lame...but in the end it was a totally different experience!! The venue was still bad but the atmosphere totally blew my mind! I have never seen such a passionate audience in Vienna before and the band was on fire and enjoyed it from the beginning to the very end! Not to mention the setlist which was in my opinion the best of the whole euro tour! Now i'm waiting for the bootleg....
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155

Same here! I always had mixed feelings with my hometown show. I knew that the location is horrible, from past concerts i knew that the Austrian audience is lame...but in the end it was a totally different experience!! The venue was still bad but the atmosphere totally blew my mind! I have never seen such a passionate audience in Vienna before and the band was on fire and enjoyed it from the beginning to the very end! Not to mention the setlist which was in my opinion the best of the whole euro tour! Now i'm waiting for the bootleg....

Couldn't agree more! I think the crowd was into it for the most part, although I think they were a little lost on some deep cuts and the PiL cover (which I freaked out.. because I love that freaking song).
    Not the best venue but like Ed said, there were 10,000 on the floor and the place was jumpin.
    Definitely a show to remember. The city of Vienna is beautiful, although I prefer the mountains to the west. Cheers!
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444

The city of Vienna is beautiful, although I prefer the mountains to the west. Cheers!

Hey, I'll have you know we have mountains in Vienna too! Well, let's say hills, but two of them have the German word for mountain in their names :P Nothing like the ones on your doorstep of course.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Yes Sonja.. I have been blessed. In fact I was born and grew up a 20 minute drive from the majestic Canadian Rockies. I have to say.. the Alps are amazing, as the Southern Alps in NZ were. I was born in the mountains, and will travel around the world to see other mountains. People can have the beach, ill take a hike up to 2400 meters any day :).
    Cities are nice, but I want to run...run to the hills ;). Little Iron Maiden in a PJ forum lol

Yes Sonja.. I have been blessed. In fact I was born and grew up a 20 minute drive from the majestic Canadian Rockies. I have to say.. the Alps are amazing, as the Southern Alps in NZ were. I was born in the mountains, and will travel around the world to see other mountains. People can have the beach, ill take a hike up to 2400 meters any day :).
    Cities are nice, but I want to run...run to the hills ;). Little Iron Maiden in a PJ forum lol

Climbing on a mountain
    Floating out on the sea
    Far from lights of a city
    The elements they speak to me...

and we're back on track ;)

• KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I was born in the alps, but except for skiing in winter, I'd prefer a beach every day. ;)

Glad my first hometown PJ gig was such a great experience. Didn't get to sleep in my own bed afterwards as I went on to Berlin, but such is touring life.. ;)
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

hell yes! We are people of the mountians too, we went to the dolomites after trieste and we kletterstieged in innsbruck after vienna!
    The mountains are calling, and I must go. -John Muir
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?