Ticket Lottery Sucks

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I like the lottery better than the F5 days...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    if it's GA or bust, europe is the way to go! I won milan GA at 6th choice, knowing it would have the most available since it is the largest venue on the tour. I respect the senior member who have poured thousands into the band, but if you are just trying to score your hometown show and are pissed you didnt get it, doesnt it make sense to let the newbs like me have their chance to spend thousands????
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    sidenote about the euro lottery: europeans are smarter than americans. I was hawking the boards constantly and only saw 1 fan who didnt properly read the information provided. He lost out on his tix because he didnt see that only a few reserved tix were open, the majority being GA. People didnt have dumb questions, didnt miss their tix because of moronic picks (all GA and then all reserved??? Duhhhhhhh) and overall understood the process because they READ THE EMAIL!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339

were the f5 days only for the special shows?

did you see me? i saw you.
  • I have a few points...
    - I understand the frustration of those 10Club members that got shut out. And I can see that it stings more for the long time members. I will say that I was weary of seeing the same people get the front 4-5 rows at any/every show they wanted tickets to so I was happy to see a change and to have a chance myself to get that close...even just once. Hasn't happened yet but I have a GA for this tour so here's hoping. This brings me to my second point...
    - If there is demand still from10Club members then why not sell more seats to them as opposed to releasing them to Ticketmaster? Isn't selling a seat just selling a seat? I mean if there were enough 10Club members to buy all of the seats at a venue then why not sell them to the members? Or even if there were enough to sell all the tickets on the floor wouldn't that be just fine? I am confused by the limited number of tickets that are available. Is it due to Ticketmaster owning the venue? If so I'd pay their fees if 10Club had more seats. I think most folks here would.

Maybe I'm way off but that's what I have to say....

You are right, a ticket is just a ticket so why doesnt Ticketmaster just sell more tickets to fanclub members instead of to the public? I think its because Ticketmaster has such a big hand in the secondary market now. They are/can make a killing releasing their tickets to brokers for a markup. If they give Tenclub 10% of the venue, and its mostly great seats, they are losing a lot of money on the secondary market. I'm sure TM would love to cut that number down even more to say 5%.
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989

Most shows caused F5 syndrome.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945

I have a few points...
    - I understand the frustration of those 10Club members that got shut out. And I can see that it stings more for the long time members. I will say that I was weary of seeing the same people get the front 4-5 rows at any/every show they wanted tickets to so I was happy to see a change and to have a chance myself to get that close...even just once. Hasn't happened yet but I have a GA for this tour so here's hoping. This brings me to my second point...
    - If there is demand still from10Club members then why not sell more seats to them as opposed to releasing them to Ticketmaster? Isn't selling a seat just selling a seat? I mean if there were enough 10Club members to buy all of the seats at a venue then why not sell them to the members? Or even if there were enough to sell all the tickets on the floor wouldn't that be just fine? I am confused by the limited number of tickets that are available. Is it due to Ticketmaster owning the venue? If so I'd pay their fees if 10Club had more seats. I think most folks here would.

You are right, a ticket is just a ticket so why doesnt Ticketmaster just sell more tickets to fanclub members instead of to the public? I think its because Ticketmaster has such a big hand in the secondary market now. They are/can make a killing releasing their tickets to brokers for a markup. If they give Tenclub 10% of the venue, and its mostly great seats, they are losing a lot of money on the secondary market. I'm sure TM would love to cut that number down even more to say 5%.

Definitely. It's not about the 10c not wanting more seats. It's about ticketmaster (and other ticketing agencies) not giving more to fan clubs. They make a bunch selling to brokers and what not. It doesn't maximize their profits so there's little self interest to give more to fan clubs. They have also control most venues, so they have all the leverage, not the bands.
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

They also don't get the same cut of ridiculous additional fees when they give tickets to fanclubs directly.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    CopperTom said:

orly?!

most shows? hmm....

did you see me? i saw you.

CopperTom said:

orly?!

most shows? hmm....

I'm an east coast guy, so yes.
    I mean crashes. Most shows caused crashes. All shows used method.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    CopperTom said:

I mean crashes. Most shows caused crashes. All shows used method.

Every time at all shows we had crashes...we have the classic " had it at my card and lost them or i check out and froz..dk i refresh or ill lost the tickets??"."'frozen pages..crush the forum and couldnt log in..saw or not saw the check out page etc

now all work smooth...after draw ends
    Get email..update your ticket status
    .charge.your card etc..not the previus clusterfuck..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    Does Pearl Jam have to pay the handling fees to Ticketmaster when they secure tickets for the fan club?
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Vedd Hedd said:

Does Pearl Jam have to pay the handling fees to Ticketmaster when they secure tickets for the fan club?

Do you mean when fan club servers fail miserably and the fan club has to contact Ticketmaster for them to generate codes to be distributed to fan club members so they can purchase their fan club tickets through Ticketmaster? \

Nah, I'm sure they do that for free.

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    jamburger said:

Vedd Hedd said:

Do you mean when fan club servers fail miserably and the fan club has to contact Ticketmaster for them to generate codes to be distributed to fan club members so they can purchase their fan club tickets through Ticketmaster? \

Nah, I'm sure they do that for free.

Hm... Vedd Hedd, I would guess that since Ticketmaster has worked so hard to put stringent limitations on how many tickets a fan club can access, that they do not receive service/handling fees for 10C sales. That's totally an uneducated guess, however. They might also put a lesser fee on it, not too sure!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    benjs said:

Hm... Vedd Hedd, I would guess that since Ticketmaster has worked so hard to put stringent limitations on how many tickets a fan club can access, that they do not receive service/handling fees for 10C sales. That's totally an uneducated guess, however. They might also put a lesser fee on it, not too sure!

I'm not sure on that one. They don't really list the fees on the 10c tickets but the numbers don't add up either. My 10c tickets for this past tour (Vancouver) were 156 US for a pair (which is $78/ticket). The ticket is listed at 69.50 + 2.75 facility fee cdn for a total of 72.25. USD$ is worth more than the cdn$. Where did the other $6 go? (or more if you include the exchange rates).

• jmsjms Posts: 243
    I like the lottery simply because if I lose out at least I didn't lose a day sitting in front of the damn computer. I understand why some are mad because they didn't get tickets for a hometown show but I promise you if they ever play Middle Tennessee I won't miss it because I didn't get tickets from 10C. Hell I could buy some of the more expensive stub hub tickets and still get off cheaper than it usually costs to fly wherever.
  • The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,093
    Ya win some and ya lose some. Get the eff over it. It has been that way in life since the beginning of time. No one is entitled to shit.
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    edited June 2014
    the yearly membership and thousands of dollars in merchandise is not an accumulative amount the is equates to your loyalty.

you pay a yearly fee, if at the end of that year you are not satisfied with what you received in return, then don't join again. sometimes paying the membership only means the newsletter and maintaining your number. that's enough for me. maybe next year it won't be, but I doubt that.

some things in life you cannot live without. for the small amount that I have to give, I can get so much in return. and if even that is only saying I was there, or I am a member of that family. Pearl Jam is one of those things for me, I will never close my door on them. They are always welcome.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    edited June 2014
    The fanclub hasn't changed at all, its the band. I don't mean that in a bad way at all but if you look at their tour schedule 10 years ago to now you would understand why it was so much easier to get tickets back then. Pearl Jam only does 10 shows a year in the US compared to 50 or 60 they did back in the day when all we had to do was mail a postcard and a money order. I've put in for 13 shows in the last few years and only gotten 2. This will probably be my last year in the fanclub, and no disrespect to the way they run things, I just don't understand what my $30 goes towards.
    Post edited by TheGossman on
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120

I have a few points...

This is true, a few weeks ago I tried to get Jack White tickets and a minute after they went on sale it was sold out, but ticketmaster listed tickets that were available from brokers for nearly triple face value.

In 2003 I remember tenclub saying they could only get 10% of the tickets for each show with MSG being an exception. With ticketmaster being as corrupt as they are now it wouldn't surprise me if that percentage dropped.

9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    maybe they would have a better case now against TM since it hasn't changed, and even worse with the secondary market as competition. it's clearly a monopoly.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • CopperTom said:

based on my seniority, i should be guaranteed a seat. that's all.

Lol.
    believe me, i wrote that with an egotistical smile too
    quimby20 said:

I actually had an extra GA to someone who had posted on this thread but after hearing the rants about how seniority should be rewarded and why they are so much more ENTITLED to a ticket. I have decided to find a newbie to pass it on to. I don't give a shit if you were the third sperm behind Eddies, we are all part of this family and all deserve an equal chance at tickets.

Quimby20, In what world do you live in where someone who's been in line the longest (while paying money) can get cut off by someone who just stepped in line and can get to the destination quicker?

While it may not be a written rule, it's how it works (or should work). People have been here longer than others and deserve priority. It sucks that that's not the case.
  • Mac DogMac Dog Posts: 79
    Hope Quimby20 didn't earn themselves some bad karma for next time they're at a show. Would suck to miss the start of the show or your favourite song cause some drunks going into the bathroom had the same outlook on the whole seniority thing and thought they deserved "an equal chance" to use the facilities. Lol
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    No plattanz2001..isnt like that...what u saying is the opposite
    is like there is a line at a coffee shop and u want to cut in the line and get 1st coffee cos u bought coffee at this shop in the past...
    again..we pay membership per year..your money for 2014 is the same as mine..hell no your money means more than mine..this year we have the same chances to score tix...you deserve same as me and everyone else...so afrer we both ' got reservation for dinner"aka scoring tickets then they give u better table than me..but i deserve to have dinner as much as u do..we both pay the same money for the same food...and cos u are a good customer all this years.u get the table with the better view...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823

CopperTom said:

based on my seniority, i should be guaranteed a seat. that's all.

Lol.
    believe me, i wrote that with an egotistical smile too
    quimby20 said:

I actually had an extra GA to someone who had posted on this thread but after hearing the rants about how seniority should be rewarded and why they are so much more ENTITLED to a ticket. I have decided to find a newbie to pass it on to. I don't give a shit if you were the third sperm behind Eddies, we are all part of this family and all deserve an equal chance at tickets.

Quimby20, In what world do you live in where someone who's been in line the longest (while paying money) can get cut off by someone who just stepped in line and can get to the destination quicker?

While it may not be a written rule, it's how it works (or should work). People have been here longer than others and deserve priority. It sucks that that's not the case.

Here's the world I live in, I have a GA and I'm sick of hearing all the people bitching about how they are entitled to a ticket, especially from people with a total of 7 post
  • quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    Mac Dog said:

Hope Quimby20 didn't earn themselves some bad karma for next time they're at a show. Would suck to miss the start of the show or your favourite song cause some drunks going into the bathroom had the same outlook on the whole seniority thing and thought they deserved "an equal chance" to use the facilities. Lol

My karma sucks...... so much so I have an extra GA which some Jammer with little seniority is going to get. Explaine to me how karma is going to bite me in the ass???
  • whitepantswhitepants Posts: 718
    This is why I hate ticketbastard. I got lucky this time in getting a very decent non-fanclub seat, but that's not always the case. I'll always remember when some ticketbastard CEO shitted upon Pearl Jam and the band's anger with ticketbastard's monopoly during the time when PJ was trying to have concerts at non-TM venues (very difficult back in the 90s), and the CEO said something like, 'If PJ wants to make it hard for their fans to see them because they don't like TM, that's on them, I'll be happy to continue making money off of the band' (paraphrase big time), but that was the gist. It was just a rude and greedy sentiment and I've hated TM all this time. I hated having to use these bitches last Friday, but it was the ONLY way I could get tickets. I'm lucky in how things turned out.

I have a few points...

This is true, a few weeks ago I tried to get Jack White tickets and a minute after they went on sale it was sold out, but ticketmaster listed tickets that were available from brokers for nearly triple face value.

In 2003 I remember tenclub saying they could only get 10% of the tickets for each show with MSG being an exception. With ticketmaster being as corrupt as they are now it wouldn't surprise me if that percentage dropped.

~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    We can kick much deserved dirt on Ticketmaster all day and probably never go too far, but they remain only part of the problem. If there were more shows there would be more tickets and less strife. TM would still be the evil empire but there would be fewer ten clubbers who lost out.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Speaking of Ticketmaster

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=811679

It looks like i got a refund coming

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2