I miss old Coldplay

Comments

• lgglgg Posts: 12
    i listened to Rush of Blood last night, and I would say, after not hearing it for quite a while, it really is a great record. It's nearly 10 years old now, so I doubt Coldplay will ever scale those heights again, but this was a great record. A Warning Sign is fantastic.
    I am mine.
  • Not sure why people dont seem to realize it but X&Y is a great album.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Not sure why people dont seem to realize it but X&Y is a great album.

I like X & Y as well. I completely stopped following Coldplay after that though. Their first 2 were just great..really enjoyed the third..and I don't know why but I just lost interest in hearing any more of their stuff after that. :o
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Better Dan wrote:
    Not sure why people dont seem to realize it but X&Y is a great album.

I like X & Y as well. I completely stopped following Coldplay after that though. Their first 2 were just great..really enjoyed the third..and I don't know why but I just lost interest in hearing any more of their stuff after that. :o

Viva La Vida has some good stuff as well. I would say that was their last good album. Mylo is pretty much junk save 3-5 songs.
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Wow, everyone here hates the new record except for me? It did get good reviews by some critics but overall people were disappointed this year with the releases other from major rock bands like Foo Fighters and Radiohead. I liked the Foo Fighters record but did feel Radiohead was boring but love the songs when they play them live.

I guess I stand alone in liking the new Coldplay and to think I use to vehemently hate this band :D
  • TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,364
    didnt you know its cool to hate coldplay? :roll:

like its cool to love radiohead... and muse.

for whats it worth i miss old coldplay as well. rush of blood is a stunning album... yellow i reckon is the weakest song on parachutes.. x and y had a lot of filler, and an embarrassingly overplayed and oversold fix you. but it did have kingdom come.

viva had its moments and i personally like it more than x and y.

milo xylitol is rubbish. ive struggled to listen to it.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • MSnider44MSnider44 San Diego Posts: 746
    So I watched two Coldplay concerts tonight - ACL NYE 2012 Special and Glastonbury 2011. When they play their stuff from Parachutes and Rush, they are so good - brings back memories.

But it also got me thinking about the title of my post: I often could, can, and do say the same thing about old Pearl Jam....
  • OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    didnt you know its cool to hate coldplay? :roll:

I find that notion hilarious.

It's nothing to do with image, it's more to do with the feeling that a lot of people have that Coldplay are the single most over-rated band of all time.

They have a singer that can't sing, they write awful lyrics and play bland music.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    new song, Midnight. It's different :-S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQeMxWjpr-Y
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Only one listen so far of Midnight but me likey. Will be interesting to hear the other songs they pair w it
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    edited February 2014
    Who sings on the new song? It's too weird for me I think.
    But i’m listening A Rush of Blood to the Head because of this thread and it is like meeting an old friend. Good stuff.
    Post edited by Longueuil on
  • retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    how do I get that 3 minutes and 28 seconds back.........? %-(
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Trying to sound like Bon Iver with the auto-tune....
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    They put on a good live show. I do like rush of blood... A lot good album.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    After all these years, and even after my original post on this subject way back when ... I still really miss old Coldplay. Really I do. After watching their two song performance on SNL this past weekend, it makes me miss old Coldplay even more. These dudes are done, which is unfortunate. Too much EDM influence in their newest music, and they pretty much pulled a commercialized 180 on their mid 00's album releases from the late 90's "Parachutes" and early 00's "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" which are masterpieces in my opinion. And I guess they're happy with only those first two albums being just that. Bummer....
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    VIva La Vida is an amazing album.....my favorite from them.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    the songs off the new record are sounding good. i think the band writes better when Chris Martin is suffering : (
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    edited May 2014
    First two albums are good (minus a few songs), an obscure b-side called "such a rush" is also amazing, X&Y is average at best, then everything is shit. I saw them on the X&Y tour and lost all interest in them after seeing them live. Chris Martin seems like a total douche and I hated the way he performed and interacted with the crowd. He was trying to be Bono and failed miserably. Watching his overly-rehearsed performances of crap songs like yellow, scientist, and fix you made me want to shit myself in disgust.
    Post edited by dr122931 on
  • 63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    New singles stink.... These guys haven't done anything good in such a long time now. Bummer.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Olivavu said:

Coldplay have ALWAYS been terrible!

Troll.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    I have always been a Coldplay fan since seeing them on the Parachutes tour. I have seen all of there tours (except I missed the Rush of Blood to the Head tour), and I have no problem with the different types of music they come out with. I am looking forward to the new album and show!
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • jason_bouchard88jason_bouchard88 Posts: 220
    edited May 2014
    iammine16 said:

I have always been a Coldplay fan since seeing them on the Parachutes tour. I have seen all of there tours (except I missed the Rush of Blood to the Head tour), and I have no problem with the different types of music they come out with. I am looking forward to the new album and show!

I'm a bit skeptical with their new album due to the fact it only has 9 songs. Don't mind the new direction, in fact, Midnight was difficult for me to like it because it didn't sound like a Coldplay song at all. I like it now. I only saw Coldplay twice, the last time was their free concert at the parking lot of MuchMusic (just Much now) Headquarters in 2011.
    Post edited by jason_bouchard88 on
    (....sigh....) Just listened to their new album. Pretty damn bad. "Ghost Story" is the best track. I feel really bad for their drummer because they essentially replaced him with a synth drum machine on almost every song. "A Sky Full Of Stars" sounds like something Avicii would play to close out his EDM set in Vegas. I really, really do miss the sounds of "Parachutes" and "A Rush Of Blood To The Head". But hey, at least I can turn those albums on with a touch of a button nowadays.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    MSnider44 said:

(....sigh....) Just listened to their new album. Pretty damn bad. "Ghost Story" is the best track. I feel really bad for their drummer because they essentially replaced him with a synth drum machine on almost every song. "A Sky Full Of Stars" sounds like something Avicii would play to close out his EDM set in Vegas. I really, really do miss the sounds of "Parachutes" and "A Rush Of Blood To The Head". But hey, at least I can turn those albums on with a touch of a button nowadays.

That's what I figured it would be like based on the couple songs I have heard. I'll still give it a listen but not expecting much.
  • MSnider44 said:

That's because Avicii produced A Sky Full of Stars.
  • Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I like how they experiment in Ghost Stories, but it is not my favourite album from them. I still would want to go see Coldplay in concert, but only if I can somehow win tickets as they will be expensive and that's not a band that I would want to pay this much for a show.
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Still need to hear the whole album, but the handful of songs I heard thus far have been highly disappointing. I even liked a lot of what was on Mylo Xyloto, which was a different direction in some ways, but I could get on board. This new stuff, not as much....
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • samjam said:

Still need to hear the whole album, but the handful of songs I heard thus far have been highly disappointing. I even liked a lot of what was on Mylo Xyloto, which was a different direction in some ways, but I could get on board. This new stuff, not as much....

Still available for free streaming on ITunes.