Every day is Earth Day. Let's talk about ways to make it better.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
edited May 2018 in A Moving Train
EVERY DAY IS EARTH DAY! >-
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Earth Day needs to move their official day at least 2 weeks after 4/20 day. Hippies are still trying to remember where they parked their cars, less yet celebrate Earth Day. :)>-
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Jason P said:

Earth Day needs to move their official day at least 2 weeks after 4/20 day. Hippies are still trying to remember where they parked their cars, less yet celebrate Earth Day. :)>-

Hey, wait a minute!! :-w ...

:))
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I do like the sentiment of everyday being Earth Day.

As for observing it once a year, I think it would be more effective if instead if a specific date it was observed the way Monday holidays are. Not on a Monday, but if this fell on say the second Saturday of April each year it would be easier for people to participate in events. Most wouldn't be working. Much easier to fall by the wayside when it falls on a Tuesday.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i believe earth day should be celebrated daily but also have a given day where there is a day off from work & ppl plant flowers, trees, gardens, throw dirty water on polluters (like big business companies)... as well as hog shit
    then beat them w/ rotten eggs & sticks

starting w/ BP & other oil fuckers
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    JimmyV said:

I do like the sentiment of everyday being Earth Day.

As for observing it once a year, I think it would be more effective if instead if a specific date it was observed the way Monday holidays are. Not on a Monday, but if this fell on say the second Saturday of April each year it would be easier for people to participate in events. Most wouldn't be working. Much easier to fall by the wayside when it falls on a Tuesday.

Great idea!

chadwick said:

i believe earth day should be celebrated daily but also have a given day where there is a day off from work & ppl plant flowers, trees, gardens, throw dirty water on polluters (like big business companies)... as well as hog shit

Another great idea! (The unbolded part though- funny! But I get it! :-) )

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I think the idea of a paid day from work for those who want to plant flowers/trees, pitch in clean up garbage in a park is terrific idea.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 said:

I think the idea of a paid day from work for those who want to plant flowers/trees, pitch in clean up garbage in a park is terrific idea.

it really is but so is - throwing dirty water on polluters, (like big business companies)... as well as hog shit,

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    cigarette butt flickers litering up the joint should be tarred & feathered

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I agree with all of the above sentiments after all Earth is my Church :)>-
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

thank you, jose. finely we have a winner. earth is our mother too

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

thank you, jose. finely we have a winner. earth is our mother too
    With out a doubt when i'm swimming in the Ocean , Rivers , lakes i'm totally connected the same when i'm in the deep Forest climbing trekking i feel like i can sense the Earth breathing beneath me ...It is My Church that is where i pray !!
    wonderful stuff, jose. you're awesome

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

wonderful stuff, jose. you're awesome

You to bro you , you too!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'd have been happy to use a vacation day for it. Wouldn't have to be limited to planting stuff either - time and effort could be given (as it could / should? on any other day) to animals, to people, to cleaning up graffiti, etc.
    one could do anything positive & should everyday

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

one could do anything positive & should everyday

:-bd

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    brianlux said:

EVERY DAY IS EARTH DAY! :)>-

TreeHugger!...haha

Exactly! Every act of conservation, big or small counts every day.

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited May 2014
    chadwick said:

it really is but so is - throwing dirty water on polluters, (like big business companies)... as well as hog shit,

Those Oil Companies is Definitely a Good Place to Start.

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Pap said:
    A Permaculture web site, cool!

Thankfully, Bill Mollison's groundbreaking (that's a pun :wink: ) work has been reprinted in somewhat affordable publications however, the original full book has sadly not, to my knowledge, been reprinted and used copies are rarely found for less than $100.  If you're into this sort of thing and see this book for a reasonable price, grab it!

Can all these Earth day threads be consolidated..
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Trump backed out of the paris agreement!!!

Just 100 companies have been the source of more than 70% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions since 1988, according to a new report.
    The report found that more than half of global industrial emissions since 1988 – the year the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change was established – can be traced to just 25 corporate and state-owned entities.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jul/10/100-fossil-fuel-companies-investors-responsible-71-global-emissions-cdp-study-climate-change

https://b8f65cb373b1b7b15feb-c70d8ead6ced550b4d987d7c03fcdd1d.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/cms/reports/documents/000/002/327/original/Carbon-Majors-Report-2017.pdf?1499691240

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    That is horrible and interesting ^^^^.

Here is a chart showing the worst culprits in 2015. Holy, Saudi Arabia. If anyone needs further proof as to why the US does the things it does in terms of Saudi Arabia and the Middle East in general, I would think this says a lot. And btw, Gazprom is mostly owned by the Russian Government (though they try to claim it's privatized, supposedly).

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    PJ_Soul said:

Here is a chart showing the worst culprits in 2015. Holy, Saudi Arabia. If anyone needs further proof as to why the US does the things it does in terms of Saudi Arabia and the Middle East in general, I would think this says a lot. And btw, Gazprom is mostly owned by the Russian Government (though they try to claim it's privatized, supposedly).

watch your use of Gazprom, that is one of the Hill-bots and Mueller-bees trigger words. whatever you do, dont google gazprom and clinton or mueller!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited April 2018
    JC29856 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

watch your use of Gazprom, that is one of the Hill-bots and Mueller-bees trigger words. whatever you do, dont google gazprom and clinton or mueller!
    Why not, what difference would it make to me or anyone? Nobody gives a shit about Hillary anymore... besides you, of course. And what in the fuck does that have to do with the topic of my post or this thread?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

By "why the US does the things it does in terms of Saudi Arabia and the Middle East in general" do you mean support them?  That's how I interpret this.  First world countries and regions, especially North America, are what drives these companies, keeps them afloat and wrecks havoc on our environment. 

But maybe I don't understand this chart or what it means.  It says, "product emissions".  Petroleum and coal as products we use certainly produce a hell of a lot of emissions.

Am I missing something here?

Re Trump backing out of the Paris agreement- obviously no surprise.  He must hate this planet something awful.