TIME TO MOW THE LAWN

The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
IT'S TIME TO MOW THE MOTHER.FUCKING.LAWN!!!!

finally!!! love this time of year

WOOO.
chinese-happy.jpg

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Manscaping?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    it was a good mow. going for diamonds next time out.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    watch penn & teller's show 'bullshit' & select the episode on 'lawns'. you will not be disappointed. it is very easily found on youtube & it is hilarious.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

watch penn & teller's show 'bullshit' & select the episode on 'lawns'. you will not be disappointed. it is very easily found on youtube & it is hilarious.

who are penn and teller?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    hedonist said:

Manscaping?

thanks for the mental picture......arrrrrrgh!

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    I bought a goat to graze the yard.

Wind this thing up.

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I'm waiting until this weekend.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    imalive said:

hedonist said:

Manscaping?

Hey, when he mentioned aspiring to diamonds, I thought...could he be vajazzling (or the man-version thereof)?

So be glad I didn't mention that :D
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    hedonist said:

imalive said:

hedonist said:

Manscaping?

Hey, when he mentioned aspiring to diamonds, I thought...could he be vajazzling (or the man-version thereof)?

So be glad I didn't mention that :D

=))
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    I love getting out there and mowing the yard. Then you sit back and relax with a rum n coke-- watch the birds and butterflies, and admire your hard work. Then you get fucking pissed that you have to sweat your balls off and do it again in a week.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    I like mowing the lawn and it's the perfect time to suntan B-)
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    this is what i'm aiming for this weekend-

chinese-happy.jpg
    that looks cool too

chinese-happy.jpg
    circles....

chinese-happy.jpg
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    How do you do that?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:

How do you do that?

What?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

this is what i'm aiming for this weekend-

it's grass not an art project. just mow the darn thing already. :D
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited April 2014
    I have the landscapers to do their spring deal on Friday (they do all sorts of shit to the plants, trees, etc that I have no fucking clue about...add mulch and make everything nice) before I resume mowing duties. Killed me not to do it on Sunday though, the lawn looks ready for it. Also burns me to spend the money on the landscapers but I kill most shit I try to grow so I think this is going to be an annual necessity unless I can find someone to show me the way.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited April 2014
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

I have the landscapers to do their spring deal on Friday (they do all sorts of shit to the plants, trees, etc that I have no fucking clue about...add mulch and make everything nice) before I resume mowing duties. Killed me not to do it on Sunday though, the lawn looks ready for it. Also burns me to spend the money on the landscapers but I kill most shit I try to grow so I think this is going to be an annual necessity unless I can find someone to show me the way.

So you only have them come out once a year and then you take over? I like doing that stuff myself, but I sure as hell am not an expert. I do have a service with Scott's to have them treat the yard about 6 times per year. They leave you a report card kinda thing when they leave. Yesterday they said my yard has a great color for this time of year and is very dense so it soaks up the water well. I felt like a proud parent. Haha

If you don't mind me asking, what do you pay for the one time landscaping service? Might consider that next year
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yes I pay for the one time service....and then I mow just as anyone would and cut back some of the shrubs as I guess they need to be cut back about halfway through the summer. [I am the only dude on my 'circle' that doesnt pay them to come every week and mows his own lawn.] Last year was $1300 and this year is just a tick more, cannot recall exactly how much.

The Scott's guy came to my house last week and I dickered with him and then the landscaping company and go a price of $45 per visit for 6 visits per year and I am still toying with my decision on that. I love the idea that my grass would look better but the landscaping thing is really for all of the plants and shit that I have no clue about. They do mow the lawn but that is a throw in really...the money goes for dealing with all of the flowers & cutting back all of the bushes/plants/trees (not the big huge trees but the Japanese Maple, Cherry Tree and some fucked up Dinosaur Looking tree that the folks put in when the re-did the back yard before we bought it) and they take out all of the shit from the winter (which I could do but it is a nominal charge) and they do all of the mulching. (This is nice I like this part, I dont have a truck and/or anyone to help so this would take me a shitload of time.)

I dont do it to keep up with the Joneses, I do it because for 20 years I wanted a house with a yard and I couldnt afford one in CA. Moving back east I could and so now I am back to doing shit I hated doing as a kid growing up on a huge place in VT and liking doing it. The majority of the work actually takes place in the back yard, which is fenced/treed in and nobody can see if except people over using the pool anyway.

Do you think $1300 is a lot for it?

The people that lived her before us had a great house but they were cheap -- we priced out some of the other service providers they had and every single quote we got back, regardless of service, was much higher than what we pay. So I think they got the cheapest folks in the book. (But they seem to do fine by me)
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    wait, you have a dinosaur tree! :D awesome.
    :))
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    WTF dude. My yard is still waiting for you to mow.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

wait, you have a dinosaur tree! :D awesome.
    :))

I'll have to learn what it is called. To me it looks messed up but some other people who have large versions of this tree...it looks sort of like a brontosaurus or something.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    I mow 4 acres year round, just started twice a week. What I do without our Hustler commercial mower.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Yes I pay for the one time service....and then I mow just as anyone would and cut back some of the shrubs as I guess they need to be cut back about halfway through the summer. [I am the only dude on my 'circle' that doesnt pay them to come every week and mows his own lawn.] Last year was $1300 and this year is just a tick more, cannot recall exactly how much.

The Scott's guy came to my house last week and I dickered with him and then the landscaping company and go a price of $45 per visit for 6 visits per year and I am still toying with my decision on that. I love the idea that my grass would look better but the landscaping thing is really for all of the plants and shit that I have no clue about. They do mow the lawn but that is a throw in really...the money goes for dealing with all of the flowers & cutting back all of the bushes/plants/trees (not the big huge trees but the Japanese Maple, Cherry Tree and some fucked up Dinosaur Looking tree that the folks put in when the re-did the back yard before we bought it) and they take out all of the shit from the winter (which I could do but it is a nominal charge) and they do all of the mulching. (This is nice I like this part, I dont have a truck and/or anyone to help so this would take me a shitload of time.)

I dont do it to keep up with the Joneses, I do it because for 20 years I wanted a house with a yard and I couldnt afford one in CA. Moving back east I could and so now I am back to doing shit I hated doing as a kid growing up on a huge place in VT and liking doing it. The majority of the work actually takes place in the back yard, which is fenced/treed in and nobody can see if except people over using the pool anyway.

Do you think $1300 is a lot for it?

The people that lived her before us had a great house but they were cheap -- we priced out some of the other service providers they had and every single quote we got back, regardless of service, was much higher than what we pay. So I think they got the cheapest folks in the book. (But they seem to do fine by me)

$1300 sounds steep. i'm assuming you have a shit load of landscaping. how many acres are you on? we are .33, I believe. $45 per visit is about what I pay for scotts. might be $50 or so. everyone I know who use them tell me it's worth it though.

should be mulching this weekend. one of the things I want to do is build up a flower bed around our deck. right now its just grass around it. don't like the way that looks. thinking of adding about 2 feet deep of mulch around it then putting in some azalea bushes to take up the space
    chinese-happy.jpg
    g under p said:

I mow 4 acres year round, just started twice a week. What I do without our Hustler commercial mower.

Peace

wow 4 acres....how long does that take you?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I love mowing the lawn. it's a cathartic experience. throw some tunes on and just zone out and focus on the grass for an hour or so.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120

g under p said:

Peace

wow 4 acres....how long does that take you?
    When I rush 45 minutes, when I take my time to get perfection 1 hour and 15 minutes to mow. that mower is a speed demon. The edging with the trimmer takes forever because there's so much to do then i have to blow off the driveway which is around 450 feet. Total it takes 3-5 hours depending on how neat and pretty I want it to look. All the lots here are 5 acres or more with this community is ALL for horses. That's South Florida Palm Beach County.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)