Options

Lack of vinyl...

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    ewokpelts said:

PJ_Soul said:

ewokpelts said:

Sadly we're not the standard consumer when it comes to this band. We're the ones that value them so much we'll turn around and spend quadruple the cost on a concert poster we weren't able to get at a show. The average consumer still cares little for vinyl, even less for vinyl from Pearl Jam (as do many of the post-punk/indie kids slurping up vinyl these days...I know SoundScan said rock was far and away the biggest selling vinyl genre right now, but I really do wonder about sub-genre).

Now would it be nice for them to continue repressing the other albums? Sure, and my bet is that they will when their anniversaries come around, but it's also a fact that the vinyl resurgence is still limited in nature and because of this it demands a higher margin approach to be worthwhile. When you consider the average demographic of PJ's fans who have arguably the most inelastic demand in the history of the universe when the band's goods are concerned, this point becomes even more valid.

in 1994 pearl jam sold 55 thousand copies of vitalogy on VINYL in one week. in 2013, they cant even sell that much the 2nd week of release of lighning bolt. across 3 formats.
    Why are you still paying to be a member of the fan club?? image I would never pay to just feel as angry and disillusioned as you seem today! image
    how bout them canucks?
    Well, I'll tell ya, I'm feeling pretty angry and disillusioned about them! .... which is why I haven't gone to a single game this season. imageimage
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    mmmm 2000 more copies of ten in 1 day
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,938

Not to be a dick but...I'm looking for a decent reason why a band that is supposedly SO pro LP, makes absolutely no vinyl available for over 80% of it's catalog at a regular retail price. Is a $20 No Code that hard to produce?

I'd prefer to see newly pressed Binaural's than this stuff.....

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The day after it was made available for preorder at a cool $29.95, the TEN limited release, on clear Coke Bottle vinyl, is being resold on the "black market" for almost ten times the price...That seems super reasonable.

Wouldn't just making the music available on LP be a better situation for everyone involved?
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    edited April 2014

The day after it was made available for preorder at a cool $29.95, the TEN limited release, on clear Coke Bottle vinyl, is being resold on the "black market" for almost ten times the price...That seems super reasonable.

Wouldn't just making the music available on LP be a better situation for everyone involved?

Not for everyone who likes the limited release and got it.
    Plus, they already have a cheap and easy to acquire Ten reissue available on LP, so if that's what you're looking for, you're in luck!! If you're not into higher priced rare collectors' items, then don't buy them and leave them for the collectors.
    This isn't a world where everyone can have everything they want all the time. I don't see why Pearl Jam or anyone else should try and pretend it is.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    The joy of collecting is the hunt. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. If every version of everything was readily available to the masses, none of them would be special.
  • Options

The joy of collecting is the hunt. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. If every version of everything was readily available to the masses, none of them would be special.

Exactly.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    who's talking about the joy of collecting? who's talking about limited release, still sealed vinyl? who's talking about special? whats the fucking point of a 800 dollar sealed colored vinyl PJ20?

the last thing in the world I need or want is ANOTHER copy of Ten. It's exactly the same as I didn't need another copy of Lightning Bolt sevens" 45 box.

All I'm saying is press some records and make the entire catalog available to buy in standard weight black vinyl.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    edited April 2014

who's talking about the joy of collecting? who's talking about limited release, still sealed vinyl? who's talking about special? whats the fucking point of a 800 dollar sealed colored vinyl PJ20?

the last thing in the world I need or want is ANOTHER copy of Ten. It's exactly the same as I didn't need another copy of Lightning Bolt sevens" 45 box.

All I'm saying is press some records and make the entire catalog available to buy in standard weight black vinyl.

Yeah I know, but I just don't understand why you're mad about this one. You can want the whole catalog to be released (we ALL want that!) and not involve your hate for some limited release. One has nothing to do with the other is all I'm saying. That's totally cool that you don't need or want another copy of Ten or the Sevens set. Because that means you don't buy it and someone who does want it can. Just not sure why the existence of an item that you don't need or want upsets you. If you're upset about none of the other studio albums being reissued, great. Everyone wishes they would come out. But don't let other unrelated shit stir up your frustration for no reason so that you hop on the merch whore train. ;)

And again, collecting doesn't necessarily = sealed. I play ALL of my vinyl (or trade it asap for something I will play if that ends up working out), but I still consider myself a collector. But even if I left everything sealed, so? I assume that collectors who leave everything sealed get pleasure out of the item too, so that is the point. Either that, or it's a financial investment, which is also a valid point for ownership.
  • Options
    I'm not mad bro...just enthusiastic. We're all on the same team.
  • Options

I'm not mad bro...just enthusiastic. We're all on the same team.

Lol, okay (I'm a Sista btw, haha).
    I'm enthusiastic too (I always feel that we're all on the same team, FYI, no matter what we're arguing about, lol. ;) ).
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 769
    edited April 2014

Well, a practical reason for wanting Sevens is that some of the songs should sound better at 45 RPM, and we all know that the 12" pressing of LB was far from perfect. This is actually my biggest reason for wanting Sevens some day, should I become wealthy :-P
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    When I see the coke bottle Ten records listed at eBay for exorbitant sums, the reason I'm bummed I didn't get it is that I could have turned that into other records that I want but can't afford. I was lucky enough to score Free Ride, but it looks like I'll have to wait a while for that to have enough value to be able to trade for cool stuff (if ever).
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    edited April 2014
    aurynsdad said:

Well, a practical reason for wanting Sevens is that some of the songs should sound better at 45 RPM, and we all know that the 12" pressing of LB was far from perfect. This is actually my biggest reason for wanting Sevens some day, should I become wealthy :-P
    The first pressing was horrible. But when I got my replacement I have no issues. Now what to do with that first copy I received.

I get what the OP is saying and I get what other people like PJ_Soul are saying. I am the type of person with vinyl that when I buy it then it's staying with me forever unless I'm about to loose my house or something drastic. I have a few limited things and it's nice but at the same time not what I set out for. If I get something limited like the Mad Season RSD release from last year or the QOTSA blue cover yay lucky me. But if I would have got the regular albums I'm still happy.

I admit when I saw the sevens 45 box set I thought "really Pearl Jam?" but I also understand there are people who collect those things. And yes there are people who have jukeboxes my wife's cousin has one (unfortunately it's filled with country music lol) but at the same time why couldn't the 10c and Pearl Jam press some re issues. Why not take orders for 10c members only for say a month or two weeks. Then press the amount of records for the members. Maybe make an extra 500 to put in the shop for those that missed it or just joined but make it available to members only. Also only allow members to buy one or pre order one.

I'm sure there are logistics I don't know about and such so I'm probably just talking out my butt. Anyway I'll continue to pray to the vinyl gods every night that No Code and Yield will be re issued soon.
    Post edited by DURP on
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Why this hasn't happened yet, and with no communication on the plans to ever reissue these in an capacity is a head scratcher. One look on ebay shows the demand for these albums. Think of all the money the band is losing.

:-?

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    I'd be really surprised if there aren't a number of counterfeits of PJ's mid-career albums floating around. With the technology that is out there, and the fact that these aren't mastered super distinctly, I imagine there's got to be more Avocados out there than the band actually produced. For that reason alone, I would expect them to reissue.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    aurynsdad said:

I'd be really surprised if there aren't a number of counterfeits of PJ's mid-career albums floating around. With the technology that is out there, and the fact that these aren't mastered super distinctly, I imagine there's got to be more Avocados out there than the band actually produced. For that reason alone, I would expect them to reissue.

Actually, as far as I've ever heard, there aren't any fake S/Ts out there..... And now that you mentioned, it is kind of surprising that there aren't a bunch of counterfeits going around of PJ's more rare albums (there are some obvious ones for Ten though, on bad colours, etc), but nope, not as far as I've ever seen during my search for all the studio albums (which is not to say they don't exist... but there couldn't be that many if they do exist if they have never even discussed or mentioned on the forums, aren't on discogs, nada). The only vinyl bootlegging I've seen is with live stuff.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited April 2014
    aurynsdad said:

I haven't seen any cases that should raise suspicion of these being bootlegged. Most of them have pretty involved packaging and any differences would be picked up pretty quick.

It's kinda silly that they haven't reissued at this point, but I suppose they have their way of doing things, beyond the point of stubbornness. Sooner or later this vinyl bubble is gonna pop.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    Tool has even more involved packaging and has a huge counterfeit problem. But hopefully it's not going on with Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    aurynsdad said:

Tool has even more involved packaging and has a huge counterfeit problem. But hopefully it's not going on with Pearl Jam.

There some bootlegs out there of Aenima and 10k Days, but they are all pretty obvious. 10k Days hasn't had an official release and the only thing about ordinary about Aenima is the picture sleeves instead of plain white sleeves, like the official Undertow and Opiate have.

No Code has a 4 way gatefold with the Polaroids, and Binaural-Lightning Bolt all have really nice lyric books. Not something bootleggers are gonna fuss with. If something was amiss with someone's copy, PJ fans would be right on top of it.

• Options
    just another reason to make legit copies available...
  • Options
    this thread has semi splintered...bump
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,234
    edited April 2014
    I don't think we will see any more PJ vinyl released. Ten, VS, and Vitalogy were all repressed and released. These are PJ's 3 best selling albums, each going Platinum several times over in multiple countries. ALL three of these albums are easily picked up in any record shop or online for cheap. Now, beginning with No Code albums sales dropped. Each album has gone Platinum but not always multiple times. If I'm PJ, and I see the three best selling albums I've put out still sit in record store bins, do I really think I should produce more of my worst selling albums just because a few hundred people sign a petition?

• Options

I don't think we will see any more PJ vinyl released. Ten, VS, and Vitalogy were all repressed and released. These are PJ's 3 best selling albums, each going Platinum several times over in multiple countries. ALL three of these albums are easily picked up in any record shop or online for cheap. Now, beginning with No Code albums sales dropped. Each album has gone Platinum but not always multiple times. If I'm PJ, and I see the three best selling albums I've put out still sit in record store bins, do I really think I should produce more of my worst selling albums just because a few hundred people sign a petition?

I think there might be some truth in this.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    edited April 2014
    For a fanbase that is so cynical about PJ producing anything and everything to sell, why would they leave money on the table of repressing records that go for hundreds on the secondary market?

If they sold 2000 copies of an album thats sold 10 million in 10 minutes, I think they could at least sell 2000 copies each No Code, Yield, Binaural, Riot Act and s/t (well way more actually) over a period of time.

I think the lack of represses is a matter of will and time right now. Its all about LB. Any reissues take away from that. Didn't they say back during PJ20 that the albums are going to be repressed. They just want to do it on their time and make it an event. I know people have been waiting, but people just have to be patient. They'll come.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

I don't really think it has much to do with this as it does with the PJ/Sony relationship going sour a couple years ago.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    What happened there?
  • Options
    They will all be reissued eventually. It's a matter of when, not if.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    I just want good music and I want it on vinyl so I can hear it properly. I don't really care if it's collectable, limited, comes with a free digital down load, a book with a bunch of pictures and lyrics I can get on the internet, stickers, or is printed on clear, redbluegreenpurpleyellow or babyshitbrown vinyl and comes with a free gold plated condom. Just give me the damn vinyl in a decent inner sleeve and cardboard cover! (Did I get a little carried away there? image )
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,234
    brianlux said:

I just want good music and I want it on vinyl so I can hear it properly. I don't really care if it's collectable, limited, comes with a free digital down load, a book with a bunch of pictures and lyrics I can get on the internet, stickers, or is printed on clear, redbluegreenpurpleyellow or babyshitbrown vinyl and comes with a free gold plated condom. Just give me the damn vinyl in a decent inner sleeve and cardboard cover! (Did I get a little carried away there? image )

You don't want Pearl Jam vinyl if you want it on vinyl properly. This is the biggest misconception by PJ fans. They assume because its vinyl it sounds better. The reissue Benny on vinyl thread is hilarious. The CD sounds just as good if not better than the vinyl, plus you don't have to flip it 4 times. "I just want to hear it on vinyl man"....please.