Lack of vinyl...

Comments

• PH20PH20 Posts: 466

That and it would be nice if their vinyl was mastered and pressed correctly. Very few PJ albums sound better than "decent"

Unfortunately, I agree with this.
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • TheseGoToElevenTheseGoToEleven Charlotte, NC Posts: 106
    Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy got reissues for their 20th. Any reason to think the others wouldn't at this point (2016, 2018, 2020, etc.)?
    [i]Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?[/i]
  • Mad MohabMad Mohab Posts: 310
    Binaural sounds great, No Code and Binaural would be the true gold, ESP. If No Code was on two Lps and remastered if they were rereleased. The cost for these two is insane!
  • SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,440
    Which ones do you think only sound deccent?
    PH20 said:

That and it would be nice if their vinyl was mastered and pressed correctly. Very few PJ albums sound better than "decent"

Unfortunately, I agree with this.
  • PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    To be fair, I have not heard Binaural, No Code or Riot Act on vinyl.

But the rest (even the "re-mastered" ten) just sound loud and compressed to my ears.

Listen to something like the recent re-issue of Mad Season on vinyl and then to a Pearl Jam album....no comparison.
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    october22 said:

vaggar99 said:

first world problems!!

Probably the most annoying recurring comment of all time.

Nothing personal.
    Totally agree.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    boyo79 said:

Balls to RSD releases.

A huge portion of the fanbase just want a standard reissue of the studio albums, not ones with bells and whistles. Why they can't do this instead of resorting to the fancy reissue boxsets is crazy.

Right RSD has just become a flippers delight. I don't need colored vinyl or pressed out of 200 or whatever. Yeah it's nice but I just like to have the vinyl. If I get a cool colored vinyl yay me if not still yay me.
    My butt itches!
  • Zod said:

I think the band (at some point in the future) wants to continue with the boxsets. If they release standalone vinyl before the boxset, then it will drive the demand down for boxsets. IE I don't think there's enough demand for the albums to get re-released then a year or two later re-released again in a boxset. Not a lot of people will want to double dip.

Sometimes ideas falll off the wayside. Maybe they should abandon the mega boxsets and rerelease the albums.

As for metallica they reissued a number of their albums a few years back I got the ones I would want (Ie the first 4). They were sold on becauseoundmatters.com.

Good point
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    My usual request: All mid-period albums, each one on a single disc, single sleeve. No frills packages. Just the thrill of No Code, Riot Act, Binaural, Self-Titled on glorious analog vinyl.

Again, if wishes were horses...
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    brianlux said:

My usual request: All mid-period albums, each one on a single disc, single sleeve. No frills packages. Just the thrill of No Code, Riot Act, Binaural, Self-Titled on glorious analog vinyl.

Yes! Single discs, please! I am so tired of this 2 discs for 10 songs bullshit. I'm so sick of this whole let's-put-everything-on-two-discs-so-we-can-charge-twice-as-much bullshit the record industry is pulling.

brianlux said:

Yes! Single discs, please! I am so tired of this 2 discs for 10 songs bullshit. I'm so sick of this whole let's-put-everything-on-two-discs-so-we-can-charge-twice-as-much bullshit the record industry is pulling.
    Yes, exactly! Charge too much AND gobble up too many resources. These monster packages put out by bands that espouse environmental concerns seems very hypocritical to me. Two of my all time favorite bands do this and I find it very frustrating. Just give us the goods guys and keep the frilly bullshit to a minimum. If you hate something, don't you do it too.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

And by the way- I could be called a fucking hypocrite. I regret purchasing LB on vinyl. It uses WAY to much resources for an album of that length. As often as possible, I purchase used records and I only buy records that I know I will enjoy over and over again. I could easily have waited for a used cast off copy of LB.

edited March 2014

brianlux said:

Me too!!! I actually find one disc albums a major selling point - sometimes it decides whether or not I buy an album. I HATE having to flip a record after only two or three songs!! It really fucks up the flow of the album.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Me too!!! I actually find one disc albums a major selling point - sometimes it decides whether or not I buy an album. I HATE having to flip a record after only two or three songs!! It really fucks up the flow of the album.
    Agreed PJ_Soul. I find myself not listening to the records I have to flip over after two or three songs than one disc albums. Stinks cause my wife bought me the entire Foo Fighters collection from pop market. I just don't see a reason why a lot of records now are split up on two discs when they could easily be on one.
    My butt itches!
    DURP said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Agreed PJ_Soul. I find myself not listening to the records I have to flip over after two or three songs than one disc albums. Stinks cause my wife bought me the entire Foo Fighters collection from pop market. I just don't see a reason why a lot of records now are split up on two discs when they could easily be on one.
    Totally. I like to spin albums when I'm reading or falling asleep, and I avoid my 2 disc LPs at those times even though a large portion of my best albums are formatted that way. Getting up and going to flip every 10 minutes is just a pain in the ass when you're doing something else as well.
    edited April 2014
    Well..... yet another Ten release. I guess they're half listening, kinda sorta? :|
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    PJ_Soul said:

october22 said:

vaggar99 said:

first world problems!!

Probably the most annoying recurring comment of all time.

Nothing personal.
    Totally agree.
    Totally agree x 3! Especially since just about ANY single item that a "first world" person discusses/disagrees with/or raises issue with can be denigrated as such. Car broke down? First world problem. Kids were sick so your were late to your cushy office job? First world problem. Someone stole your wallet? First world problem.
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    Hey 10 Club, when the issue of lack of vinyl is pointed out, I don't think we meant let's release yet another version of Ten which is readily available...ridiculous!
    Awesome anther Ten release. Just what I need. I mean I gave away the extra ten copy I got with the box set (got the box set on groupon) so I was just thinking hey I need ANTHER copy of ten cause the three ten cd's and one record isn't enough.
    My butt itches!
    DURP said:

Awesome anther Ten release. Just what I need. I mean I gave away the extra ten copy I got with the box set (got the box set on groupon) so I was just thinking hey I need ANTHER copy of ten cause the three ten cd's and one record isn't enough.

Thank god we're not forced to buy it. ;)
    Not everyone even has Ten on vinyl yet, so this is a nice release for those people. Nice for me too, because my black reissue has a skip during Even Flow on both the original version and the remastered one.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    Ultimately it was the fact that I don't already own Ten on vinyl that I decided to pull the trigger on this one.
  • ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709

Not to be a dick but...I'm looking for a decent reason why a band that is supposedly SO pro LP, makes absolutely no vinyl available for over 80% of it's catalog at a regular retail price. Is a $20 No Code that hard to produce?

I'd prefer to see newly pressed Binaural's than this stuff.....

well, they are no longer using sony's money and influence. notice how most of these records went out of print once they left epic.
    KV4053 said:

I think the difference between PJ and other bands is how small (homegrown) the PJ organization is. Its easy to sell stuff if you're willing to give up control to contractors/vendors, but then you may end up with quality issues. I like the Foo Fighters and you can buy lots of their stuff in various formats, but its not all produced and controlled by FF

the foo fighters own all their music. it's simply distributed by rca.

Zod said:

I think the band (at some point in the future) wants to continue with the boxsets. If they release standalone vinyl before the boxset, then it will drive the demand down for boxsets. IE I don't think there's enough demand for the albums to get re-released then a year or two later re-released again in a boxset. Not a lot of people will want to double dip.

Sometimes ideas falll off the wayside. Maybe they should abandon the mega boxsets and rerelease the albums.

As for metallica they reissued a number of their albums a few years back I got the ones I would want (Ie the first 4). They were sold on becauseoundmatters.com.

metallica did it right. they had "cheaper" standard vinyl under $20 for single LPs, and went all out for the limited releases. the limited version was under $50 still, and was pressed with enough to sell for more than 30 minutes. this version was 45rpm for maximum audiophile pleasure.
    hrd2imgn said:

lets see...they want more of our money, so make your stuff artificially scare from the get go, release about half of them, and then sell the others for benefits, on ebay as some fake person, and let your true fans pay up the ass for a damn record they should be able to get anywhere.......Life

Records are hard to come by from any past release, and no band wants to sit on 5000 copies of an lp for 20 years.
    It is what it is, I think they could solve some things by letting everyone pre-order before pressing how many they want. Same damn thing with the posters. You are in the music business, not the fine arts business. you are not an art gallery whoring out Dali prints so he can eat to live.

I am very unsatisfied with the amount of limited shit of the past decade, only the people who care are getting screwed with their marketing and sales strategy. The band is very hypocritical on a lot of things, OP I am with you as well. Can you press more than 2000 of avocado fro crying out loud. up your run to 5/6 thousand. Now who knows runs on backspacer, etc that are still sitting around. In time all things have sold out, but storing crap cost money too...so no win in some ways as well.

PRINT MORE VINYL

10 club sell directly on ebay. no fake name needed.

Sadly we're not the standard consumer when it comes to this band. We're the ones that value them so much we'll turn around and spend quadruple the cost on a concert poster we weren't able to get at a show. The average consumer still cares little for vinyl, even less for vinyl from Pearl Jam (as do many of the post-punk/indie kids slurping up vinyl these days...I know SoundScan said rock was far and away the biggest selling vinyl genre right now, but I really do wonder about sub-genre).

Now would it be nice for them to continue repressing the other albums? Sure, and my bet is that they will when their anniversaries come around, but it's also a fact that the vinyl resurgence is still limited in nature and because of this it demands a higher margin approach to be worthwhile. When you consider the average demographic of PJ's fans who have arguably the most inelastic demand in the history of the universe when the band's goods are concerned, this point becomes even more valid.

in 1994 pearl jam sold 55 thousand copies of vitalogy on VINYL in one week. in 2013, they cant even sell that much the 2nd week of release of lighning bolt. across 3 formats.

mail innovations scenic route shipping.

"Scenic route" :-j It's funny cus it's true! My shit always takes 2-3 days to get from Auburn, WA to Logan Twp, NJ. Then it sits in "package transferred to post office" status for a day or two. Then it transfers to the Baltimore post office where it usually sits for another 3-4 days. Then takes another 2-3 days to get from Balto to my house (a 2 hr drive). Nothing like paying $9 shipping and it still takes 2-3 weeks to get here. Mail Innovations just downright fucking blows. We get charged entirely too much for shipping and its slower than media mail. I simply do not understand how this works. I got stickers from an Aussie member on here, and it cost less than $3 and only took 9 days to get here. Halfway around the damn globe. How can Mail Innovations cost so much more and take so much longer when it's just across the same country?

And yes, repress or reissue the damn studio albums already like EVERY OTHER 90's band has! I get Benaroya Hall and Vault 3 and Soldier Field and Sevens being rare, limited runs. But it should not be a wild golden goose chase for studio albums. EVER.
    mail innovations is UPS. the same company that stone did a fucking endorsement video for.
    edited April 2014
    ewokpelts said:

Sadly we're not the standard consumer when it comes to this band. We're the ones that value them so much we'll turn around and spend quadruple the cost on a concert poster we weren't able to get at a show. The average consumer still cares little for vinyl, even less for vinyl from Pearl Jam (as do many of the post-punk/indie kids slurping up vinyl these days...I know SoundScan said rock was far and away the biggest selling vinyl genre right now, but I really do wonder about sub-genre).

Now would it be nice for them to continue repressing the other albums? Sure, and my bet is that they will when their anniversaries come around, but it's also a fact that the vinyl resurgence is still limited in nature and because of this it demands a higher margin approach to be worthwhile. When you consider the average demographic of PJ's fans who have arguably the most inelastic demand in the history of the universe when the band's goods are concerned, this point becomes even more valid.

in 1994 pearl jam sold 55 thousand copies of vitalogy on VINYL in one week. in 2013, they cant even sell that much the 2nd week of release of lighning bolt. across 3 formats.
    Why are you still paying to be a member of the fan club?? image I would never pay to just feel as angry and disillusioned as you seem today! image
    PJ_Soul said:

ewokpelts said:

Why are you still paying to be a member of the fan club?? image I would never pay to just feel as angry and disillusioned as you seem today! image
    how bout them canucks?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    ewokpelts said:

mail innovations scenic route shipping.

"Scenic route" :-j It's funny cus it's true! My shit always takes 2-3 days to get from Auburn, WA to Logan Twp, NJ. Then it sits in "package transferred to post office" status for a day or two. Then it transfers to the Baltimore post office where it usually sits for another 3-4 days. Then takes another 2-3 days to get from Balto to my house (a 2 hr drive). Nothing like paying $9 shipping and it still takes 2-3 weeks to get here. Mail Innovations just downright fucking blows. We get charged entirely too much for shipping and its slower than media mail. I simply do not understand how this works. I got stickers from an Aussie member on here, and it cost less than $3 and only took 9 days to get here. Halfway around the damn globe. How can Mail Innovations cost so much more and take so much longer when it's just across the same country?

And yes, repress or reissue the damn studio albums already like EVERY OTHER 90's band has! I get Benaroya Hall and Vault 3 and Soldier Field and Sevens being rare, limited runs. But it should not be a wild golden goose chase for studio albums. EVER.
    mail innovations is UPS. the same company that stone did a fucking endorsement video for.
    Mail Innovations is operated by UPS in conjunction with the US Postal Service. It is in no way, shape, or form the same shipping service as UPS. UPS Ground would take no more than 4-5 days from Seattle to Maryland. MI takes 2+ weeks.