Options

Travel from Trieste to Vienna

LLFleaBagLLFleaBag Posts: 31
edited December 2013 in Given To Fly (live)
Has anyone found a good solution to this question. I've booked our entire trip starting in Milan and ending in Oslo except for Trieste to Vienna. The car rental prices I've looked at are ridiculous. Trains seem to be a bit of a trek as are flights. Any ideas are appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    GstewartGstewart Delta BC Posts: 28
    Travel is expensive in Europe, but maybe hiring a motorcycle might be a good idea for the whole trip.
    Good luck in your quest, wishing I could be there too....
  • Options
    JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 631
    Yeah, flights from Trieste to Vienna are $$$ and I don't want to back track to Venice for a more reasonable flight because that will waste so much time! So I think we may take the overnight train which takes about 8-9 hours.

But if anyone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it.

Don't really want to rent a car...
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    Ana2112Ana2112 Posts: 689
    Yeah don't fly. It is a 4 hour drive from Trieste to Vienna and flights are like 10 hours long because there are no direct flights and you'd you have to switch two or three planes.
    I'd say rent a car. Can't be that expensive for that short trip, especially if you get in touch with four more people who are in the same problem and you split the price by 5. Or take the night train as you said, that is cool too, you'll get well rested (the coaches are great) and you'll save money on sleeping as you won't need hotel for that night.
    Traveling in Europe is actually very cheap as long as the cities you're traveling from-to have direct plane connections. You can fly from one side of the continent to another for some 30$ if you make reservations early enough.Trieste and Vienna are not those cities unfortunately.
    Evil Little Goat
  • Options
    Plus you should be fast with booking flights as they get a lot more expensive as the date of traveling is approaching. But with driving there is no rush. Wait a few weeks, maybe there will be a fan bus like the one from Vienna to Berlin. :)
    Evil Little Goat
  • Options
    Oh, and on the night train the conductor will bring you coffee and a croissant in the morning. <3:D
    Evil Little Goat
  • Options
    Ana2112 wrote:
    Oh, and on the night train the conductor will bring you coffee and a croissant in the morning. <3:D

Nice! :D:D:D
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    HedwichHedwich Posts: 3,237
    I'm searching for a possibility to travel from Trieste to Vienna too. The good point is... there are a few days between. And we can travel in rest.
    I would love it to travel in a group.
    The flights are very very expensive.
    With the car... hmmm... is a long travel.
    The best which I found til now was the train. It's 9 hours to travel but not so expensive. Around 100 Euro. It's okay for the distance, I think.
    But I will searching for a fan bus or so too.
    Let me know what you found out. :D
    Concerts
    Berlin: 2000, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2x 2012
    Düsseldorf: 2007
    Amsterdam 1+2, Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm 2014

Pearl Jam exhibition in Rome 2013

Eddie rocks my life!!!
  • Options
    Hi,
    There aren't good options for traveling from Trieste to Vienna with public transport: trains and planes. For the buses I don't know.The best option for flying are probably two Venice's airports, where you can get a plane (with at least 1 stop) for a little more than 100€. Venice is around 1,5hours drive from Trieste.
    For the trains, you should probably go first to Ljubljana (Slovenia) and from there catch a train to Vienna. But it would take ages to get to Vienna.
    I would also suggest car rental as someone in previous posts above. It shouldn't take more than 5 hours. If you can find a few more people, it would definitely be the best option. And it's highway all the way to Vienna.
    Good luck with your search for travelling options.
  • Options
    FedecoFedeco Posts: 49
    There is a night train leaving Udine to Vienna (Udine is north from Trieste one hour o so) closer than Venezia, but unfortunately you don't have enough time to catch it the day of the gig, first option stay in Trieste and leave in the morning. If you get the first train from Udine the next day you'll be in Vienna at 1 pm or so.
  • Options
    FrancisGersbachFrancisGersbach Cape Town Posts: 43
    Greetings from South Africa...

I'm in the same boat... and a boat won't get me to Vienna from Trieste (my first PJ show)...

Let's hire a bus! maybe the fan bus option is a great idea! I'd love to travel with fellow fans. I've booked accommodation in Trieste till the morning after and was considering the overnight train that evening... I'd also love to hear better options.

Looking forward to meeting some of you and hearing your feedback.

first show - 22/6/2014 Trieste; 25/6/2014 Vienna associated other: Chris Cornell 21/3/2008 www.twitter.com/PearlJamSA - www.facebook.com/PearlJamSA "Oh I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the ones I love" #PJfam
  • Options
    LLFleaBagLLFleaBag Posts: 31
    I ended up booking a flight from Trieste to Vienna (via Rome). It is not economical but time wise it isn't bad - my flight out is at 7:15 and arrives in Vienna at noon.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    I've opted out of Trieste but when I was planning it I had this in my head:

Leave Trieste in the afternoon on a train to Venice. Catch a late lunch in Venice, have a few glasses of wine and then get on the night train to Vienna at 9pm (it's direct). Grab a sleeper car with 2 beds.

If you rent a car you will have to bring it back to Trieste or wherever you started unless you are willing to pay the $150-$250 one way fee. Also, a lot of companies won't insure you or let you take the car from Italy into Slovenia which is the most direct route.
  • Options
    its_okits_ok Posts: 198
    Im staying in Trieste until 24/6 (checking out this date) and dont have tickets for Vienna, but have for Berlin. Would love to join in on a car rental, either to Vienna only, or all the way.

Ive also realised how shitty the connections are from Trieste to anywhere really :D
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
    2012 Manchester, London 1, London 2
  • Options
    wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    eddiec said:

Leave Trieste in the afternoon on a train to Venice. Catch a late lunch in Venice, have a few glasses of wine and then get on the night train to Vienna at 9pm (it's direct). Grab a sleeper car with 2 beds.

If you rent a car you will have to bring it back to Trieste or wherever you started unless you are willing to pay the $150-$250 one way fee. Also, a lot of companies won't insure you or let you take the car from Italy into Slovenia which is the most direct route.

thanks ...
    ajb
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    I'm flying into and out of Venice, it's not far on the train between there and Trieste.
    There's an Air Berlin flight via Dusseldorf (you've got an hour and a bit there) leaving at about half 2 and arriving at about half 6.
    I booked it about a month ago and it cost me about £100
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    We're still plan on taking the night train, although I haven't booked it yet (doesn't seem to be available on the site). It seems like the best way not to spend a whole day traveling. We're going to leave the night of the 23rd and get to Vienna early on the 24th.
  • Options
    anyone considered taking a bus? Want to get a feel if guys have done the research.
    first show - 22/6/2014 Trieste; 25/6/2014 Vienna associated other: Chris Cornell 21/3/2008 www.twitter.com/PearlJamSA - www.facebook.com/PearlJamSA "Oh I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the ones I love" #PJfam
  • Options
    BS90546BS90546 Toronto Posts: 143
    We are driving back to Milan on the 25th and taking a direct flight to Vienna.
  • Options
    This is just a suggestion....

I looked up the car rental option and I'm not sure if it's because I'm from South Africa I can get a better rental because of the exchange rate... I can get a MiniBus (9 seater - that's what we call it) from Venice on the 21st to Vienna on the 24th (we can leave Trieste on the 23rd) and without fuel and tolls it'll work out to +/- $1000 / 580GBP / 720Euro at my current exchange rate....

That might get 6 people there comfortably with luggage and 8 at a push - My wife and I are 2, I want to see if I can get another 4 people to suggest this as an option.

We can split fuel and tolls, not sure if everyone wants to travel from Venice, but it's quite central from Milan and for those only attending Trieste in Italy going through to Vienna after this might be the way...

I have an International Drivers license, not a big drinker and an European Citizen, so I've got all the boxes ticked to do this without too much hassle. I just have to get use to driving on the left hand side of the road again.

So... anyone keen?

Thanks,
    Francis
  • Options
  • Options
    Bonus - we could also all get to the Trieste show together if you are keen... pardon the sporadic messages, just thinking this thtough as I go.
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    FROM

State: Italy
    City: Triest, Busbahnhof

TO

State: Austria
    City: Wien, VIB, U3 Station Erdberg

http://eurolines.at/en/tickets/book-online
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • Options
    A real winner... I take back my Rental Minbus offer... just booked this! Thanks zarocat_old!!! Saved me a lot of them Euros there!

FROM

State: Italy
    City: Triest, Busbahnhof

TO

State: Austria
    City: Wien, VIB, U3 Station Erdberg

http://eurolines.at/en/tickets/book-online

We're not worthy! ^:)^
  • Options
    ha ha cheers man.
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    eddiec said:

This is what we're doing- can't wait!
  • Options
    waterairwaterair Philly Posts: 53
    Hey All, do you know how long this euroline bus takes to get from Trieste to Vienna? The sleeper train from Venice to Vienna is now full...
    Let's go to Europe ;-)

#409xxx
    (how I let my membership lapse is beyond me.)
  • Options
    waterair said:

Hey All, do you know how long this euroline bus takes to get from Trieste to Vienna? The sleeper train from Venice to Vienna is now full...

I've booked, train leaves just after 10:00 on the 23rd and arrives in Vienna around 18:30 the same day. Hope that helps. Glad I did it as we can take in some scenery between the countries.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    BHealy said:

eddiec said:

This is what we're doing- can't wait!
    + 6 :-)