40 years King

23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,415
In 1974 Stephen King published his first book ''Carrie''. 40 years later, which you think were his best moments and which his worst?..I know there are a lot of fans out there..

His best:

The dark tower ( take it as one book)
The stand
Insomnia
Gerald's game
Misery

His worst:

Duma key
Bag of bones
Cujo
Joyland

it's all personal preference..
Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    40 years - holy hell! Nothing like that to put time in perspective.

Not a big fan of the later stuff he wrote but oh man do I love his old shit.

The Bachman Books, Stand by Me!, Thinner. Had no idea he wrote Dolores Claiborne - one of my favorite films (and actresses, in Kathy Bates - seems he dug her too).

Pet Semetary, loved the book but the film was beyond cheesy (despite Herman Munster's role).

And the Dead Zone - whatta read.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    IT got me hooked in HS and I never looked back. Although I still need to catch up on some of his newer releases. The Dark Tower is tremendous.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Oh god...

I forgot about IT.

Book and film.

Either way, both ways, Pennywise scared the holy FUCK out of me.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    IT, Christine and The Stand are my favorites. Agree with hedonist much prefer the older version of King
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    After nearly 30 yrs of reading his work my favs include:
    It (read this bad boy when I was nine scared the crap out of me and I loved it)
    Tommyknockers
    The Stand
    Carrie
    Christine
    When I was younger I swore I would never go anywhere near Maine lol
    I don't read much of the newer stuff but I did like Bag of Bones.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited March 2014
    The Stand is my favorite book ever, let alone my favorite SK book. :) Other great ones are The Shining (but I think the movie blows), The Running Man (such a ridiculous movie that has nothing to do with the book, lol), The Long Walk, IT, Misery, The Tommyknockers, Christine, The Green Mile, Hearts of Atlantis (another disappointing film), The Dark Half, Gerald's Game....... the list really goes on and on and on. I also really enjoy ALL of his short story and novella collections, including the newer ones. BTW, 1408 is a good story and I think it's a really good movie too. Underrated. :)

There are a few stinkers over the years, mostly all after his car accident, but only a handful.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Oh man, I loved the Shining (the movie too - I thought it captured so well that sense of creepiness and breaking-point and get me the FUCK outta here mentality).

When I was in my early teens, we took a road-trip to San Diego. The hotel we were to stay in had hallways that were straight out of the film - like you would expect the twin-girls and raging blood to appear any minute.

I refused to stay there, and fortunately, was acquiesced to :)
    edited March 2014
    hedonist said:

Oh man, I loved the Shining (the movie too - I thought it captured so well that sense of creepiness and breaking-point and get me the FUCK outta here mentality).

When I was in my early teens, we took a road-trip to San Diego. The hotel we were to stay in had hallways that were straight out of the film - like you would expect the twin-girls and raging blood to appear any minute.

Didn't you find that the movie completely missed the entire point of the book? The whole story is about how the hotel itself is a malevolent being that is actually after DANNY, and is just using Jack as a way to get at the little kid. And the history of the hotel is so important to the story. But in the movie that entire concept, hence literally the entire concept of the story, is just wiped right out. And there is no character development at all (and made Jack WAY too much of an asshole right from the get go - there was almost no explanation at all of his downward spiral), the part that Danny's Shining plays is basically ignored, and since the damn book and movie is called the Shining, I find that very irritating, and they made Wendy possibly one of the most useless and pathetic women in any movie ever. And then the END. Wtf is that?? The hotel isn't even destroyed! The whole thing with the broiler just gone. And Dick Halloran is killed for some fucking reason. Why??? Why did they ruin the ending like that?..... These are the reasons I hate that movie, lol. :D
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Well fuck me silly - I guess it's been quite awhile since I last read it :-B (<----- love that little dude). I think through my watching the film so many times I totally overlooked your points about what it was actually (supposed to be) based on.

And agreed on Wendy - though very-well played as weak (hey - she rocked Olive Oyl too :D )
    hedonist said:

Well fuck me silly - I guess it's been quite awhile since I last read it :-B (<----- love that little dude). I think through my watching the film so many times I totally overlooked your points about what it was actually (supposed to be) based on.

And agreed on Wendy - though very-well played as weak (hey - she rocked Olive Oyl too :D )</p>

And remember how the hotel was actually harming them in the book? The topiary coming alive and chasing and attacking and then defending the hotel from outsiders, dead wasps coming alive and attacking Danny, etc..... man, what a good book. :)

Lol, yes, she did play a good Olive Oyl! :D
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,415
    PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

Didn't you find that the movie completely missed the entire point of the book? The whole story is about how the hotel itself is a malevolent being that is actually after DANNY, and is just using Jack as a way to get at the little kid. And the history of the hotel is so important to the story. But in the movie that entire concept, hence literally the entire concept of the story, is just wiped right out. And there is no character development at all (and made Jack WAY too much of an asshole right from the get go - there was almost no explanation at all of his downward spiral), the part that Danny's Shining plays is basically ignored, and since the damn book and movie is called the Shining, I find that very irritating, and they made Wendy possibly one of the most useless and pathetic women in any movie ever. And then the END. Wtf is that?? The hotel isn't even destroyed! The whole thing with the broiler just gone. And Dick Halloran is killed for some fucking reason. Why??? Why did they ruin the ending like that?..... These are the reasons I hate that movie, lol. :D
    i agree to all pjsoul..a great movie for me,but not a great adaptation..i think the best movies from king's work,are those who not based on his horror books..like:

Stand by me
    Dolores claiborne
    The shawshank redemption
    Apt pupil

and also a big list of short stories and novellas..
    some of my favorites:

The ten o'clock people
    The man in the black suit
    The breathing method
    Quitters,inc
    You know they got a hell of a band
    L. T.'s theory of pets
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Shit yeah.
    The Man In The Black Suit is my favorite short story.

Those King fan who haven't read the Dark Tower series... Dive in! It's amazing and they are begining a cycle of films!
    It isn't horror it's western/sci-fi/fantasy/horror all rolled up together and it's some of his best work, particularly from a language standpoint. He uses repetition beautifully to the point where you will be trying to call your family ka-tet and charyou tree will resonate in your head and haunt your darker thoughts.
    Ka is a wheel, let it roll!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:

Shit yeah.

Those King fan who haven't read the Dark Tower series... Dive in! It's amazing and they are begining a cycle of films!
    It isn't horror it's western/sci-fi/fantasy/horror all rolled up together and it's some of his best work, particularly from a language standpoint. He uses repetition beautifully to the point where you will be trying to call your family ka-tet and charyou tree will resonate in your head and haunt your darker thoughts.

Because I binge read the Dark Tower series I was caught in the oh my god this is the greatest series of novels ever.
    But as I kept reading I just found I was reading it just to say I read the Dark Tower novel.
    That book should've been one.
    SK blabs too much.

rgambs said:

Shit yeah.

Because I binge read the Dark Tower series I was caught in the oh my god this is the greatest series of novels ever.
    But as I kept reading I just found I was reading it just to say I read the Dark Tower novel.
    SK blabs too much.
    Cool story bro, thanks for the input, your contributions here are highly esteemed and your opinion is invaluable.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Talk to yourself
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Shit yeah.

SK blabs too much.
    Cool story bro, thanks for the input, your contributions here are highly esteemed and your opinion is invaluable.
    I want the 8hrs of my life back reading the ever so great words of SK back.
    He takes 20pages to describe that a tree has green leaves.

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Shit yeah.

SK blabs too much.
    I'm not sure you have ever read Stephen King, that is not an accurate appraisal of his writing. Maybe you have read King, but you haven't read anything by any authors who are truly descriptive like Tolkien or Hugo.

Anyways, I know you have a deep and abiding love for spoiling threads so I regret engaging you at all and will henceforth refrain from doing so.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited October 2016
    Never read a SK book, but have seen many of the movies. 40 years is impressive, especially the rate he's cranked them out! The list of unpublished works he has written makes it even more remarkable.

Recommendations for someone who needs to be captured almost immediately to continue reading a book? Because I won't keep reading unless something has pulled me in by page 10.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on

Never read a SK book, but have seen many of the movies. 40 years is impressive, especially the rate he's cranked them out! The list of unpublished works he has written makes it even more remarkable.

Recommendations for someone who needs to be captured almost immediately to continue reading a book? Because I won't keep reading unless something has pulled me in by page 10.

The first 10 pages of Cell is awesome, but it goes downhill from there.

“The man in Black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed.”..
    the first line of Dark Tower..give it a change..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

The year of the Tower..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Can't wait. I'd love to read these again.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    That makes my day..

https://youtu.be/UGHupqE1LCI
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Shit yeah.

SK blabs too much.
    I'm not sure you have ever read Stephen King, that is not an accurate appraisal of his writing. Maybe you have read King, but you haven't read anything by any authors who are truly descriptive like Tolkien or Hugo.

Anyways, I know you have a deep and abiding love for spoiling threads so I regret engaging you at all and will henceforth refrain from doing so.
    Smartest response EVER! Lol however he's made me laugh with some of his posts.. either in extreme WTF goes on in your head, type of laugh, or actual, genuine laughter, 'cause what he said was truly funny. ( I am
    Sure some of my posts are just as bad.. so.. :whistle: )
    None the less.. I admire your answer, sir!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited February 2017
    what i love about KING is how he references something in a book and youll realise its familiar cause youve read the book hes referencing. such as his use of the town of derry in several books.

THE BODY
    MISERY
    THE DARK HALF
    THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON
    RITA HAYWORTH AND THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
    IT
    SALEMS LOT
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Do we know what book(s) the Dark Tower movie spans? Or is it going to be a made up, alternative sequel butchery?

Looking at SK's track record of allowing his material to get defecated on by Hollywood. My hopes aren't very high.
    MayDay10 said:

Do we know what book(s) the Dark Tower movie spans? Or is it going to be a made up, alternative sequel butchery?

Looking at SK's track record of allowing his material to get defecated on by Hollywood. My hopes aren't very high.

I read an article that said the premise is that it will follow Roland on his next trip around, so it will not be identical.
    It also mentioned something about Walter seeking Jake out to make him a Breaker, but how that squares with him pushing Jake, I don't know.
    That whole phase of Walter's behaviour is a little unclear to begin with, he claims to be acting on the Crimson King's orders and that it is Ka, but that is a bit more direct than Ka usually behaves. The entire aim is to disrupt Roland's journey to the Tower, aiding him doesn't make much sense.
    Sure, Jake might have stopped him at the chasm, but didn't they know that he wouldn't?