Options

Is Ed's voice cracking a ton on the new boots??

13»

Comments

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Hey! That was my two-thousandth-and-oneth post apparently...

Had a shit load more years ago but they dropped during one of the less god awful changes to these boards.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,983
    october22 said:

And MYM has always been terrible live.

Being there live I loved MYM. But on the boots (Philly) it doesn't sound good at all. Maybe they worked it out later in the tour.

But hoping that they can elevate their first single when playing it in Europe!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    CrookedTomCrookedTom Posts: 252
    How does Vancouver sound? It's my next boot (on order) but people are saying his voice was shot after the LA shows!
    C'ville, he's really good on some songs, but others like Down & MVM it's pretty ropey
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited March 2014

How does Vancouver sound? It's my next boot (on order) but people are saying his voice was shot after the LA shows!
    C'ville, he's really good on some songs, but others like Down & MVM it's pretty ropey

Vancouver sounds pretty good, but Breakerfall was a struggle, and there are a few other moments during the show (as i mentioned before, Ed visually acknowledged near the beginning of the show that his voice hurt). His voice was not shot though - huge exaggeration. I recommend the Van boot - it's a fun listen (there are more lyric flubs than voice cracks, lol. But eddie was in a really good mood that night.... The crowd volume stinks in some parts though. There are parts where EV actually compliments the crowd's singing, yet they turned the crowd noise down so low you can't hear what he was complimenting. Sounds a bit silly). And Eddie does a good job on MYM at this show, which is apparently rare. Also, Can't Keep, God's Dice, a cool improv, plenty of tags, no sappy love songs.... Mudhoney unfortunately comes and does Kick Out the Jams, which is a huge drag IMO, and Porch has something to be desired, but overall it's an entertaining boot, perfect voice or no perfect voice.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    PJ_Soul said:

DewieCox said:

mca47 said:

I also think WHY they play their classic songs so fast now is that the tempo covers up a lot of the vocals. Slowed down, Ed's voice is more of the focal point.

I think that's why they need to slow down. He doesn't have a chance to breath, so all the power is coming from his vocal cords. I'm not a pro singer, but it's much easier to sing when you can breath properly, and more damaging when you don't.

Of course he's gonna age, but some other singers from the early 90s have hung on pretty good compared to EV. I will say he's done a pretty good job if rolling with the changes through the years, he just makes a lot more strained faces these days.
    I think you both are right.
    Especially the point Eddie being able to breath properly is spot one.
    I think this is the reason why he can't get Mind your manners to really work.

Not sure though if it is the reason why he can't hit the high notes.
    That's probable just age, smoking and the wine.
    Although like others said he did seem to be sick during the tour.
    He totally killed Mind Your Manners in Vancouver. Worked perfectly.

Also heard him hit plenty of high notes.
    I think his main issue is doing such long shows. If they didn't do that, then his voice would be in consistently better shape (although honestly, what are we talking about here? I heard his voice crack maybe three times in 3 1/2 hours).
    Well if you hear him not being able to get the high notes crystal clear at the begining of a show or half way through, it makes me think it's not just the lenght of a show.

Mind your manners from Vancouver isn't the worst one, but it surely isn't the best.
    Apart from comparing it to other takes the Vancouver version still shows Mind your manners live is a little rough.
    I love the song on the album, live it's no more than all right.
    But the fact that you think it is that good makes me think we have very different prerogatives.
    It doesn't matter, over all you are better off than I am :D , since you like the newer boots better than the older.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    PushinPaintPushinPaint Posts: 431
    i've noticed 2013 is much better (to me) than it has been since 09. For some reason the deteriorating voice bothered me more than it maybe should have. i think it's because my first pj album was a 2000 boot. i didn't get to see them until 2008 and i guess i am always wishing i could go back and see them in that form. of course there are better things about the current shows, the voice isn't everything

as far as the extra syllable some have mentioned, that was probably the main thing bothered me - i kept noticing it. like in yellow ledbetter - "they don't wa-haaave". he has fixed that for the most part, i think just more concentration and focus. the beginning of unthought known - also better. The only thing i really noticed now is the "h" words. it's like his voice goes out temporarily when singing a word beginning with the letter "h" - its like a whoosh noise.

i think though... he is on the upswing. solo is awesome. wrigley, and i posted at the time, his voice was the best i had ever seen live. so i am more optimistic now. i think he has quit smoking (although haven't seen confirmation lately). i think, no back-to-back shows would help a lot going forward. and, i wish he'd go back to standard "Sometimes" and "Lukin". the end of those have been changed- i prefer the old way!
  • Options
    PushinPaintPushinPaint Posts: 431
    oh - AND - i thought so much that his voice is best in 5 years that i bought the 2013 box set. my first box set purchase
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534

PJ_Soul said:

DewieCox said:

mca47 said:

I also think WHY they play their classic songs so fast now is that the tempo covers up a lot of the vocals. Slowed down, Ed's voice is more of the focal point.

I think that's why they need to slow down. He doesn't have a chance to breath, so all the power is coming from his vocal cords. I'm not a pro singer, but it's much easier to sing when you can breath properly, and more damaging when you don't.

Of course he's gonna age, but some other singers from the early 90s have hung on pretty good compared to EV. I will say he's done a pretty good job if rolling with the changes through the years, he just makes a lot more strained faces these days.

I think his main issue is doing such long shows. If they didn't do that, then his voice would be in consistently better shape (although honestly, what are we talking about here? I heard his voice crack maybe three times in 3 1/2 hours).
    Well if you hear him not being able to get the high notes crystal clear at the begining of a show or half way through, it makes me think it's not just the lenght of a show.

Mind your manners from Vancouver isn't the worst one, but it surely isn't the best.
    Apart from comparing it to other takes the Vancouver version still shows Mind your manners live is a little rough.
    But the fact that you think it is that good makes me think we have very different prerogatives.
    It doesn't matter, over all you are better off than I am :D , since you like the newer boots better than the older.
    Prerogatives? Don't understand what you mean by that. I can't imagine that our prerogatives are any different... Enjoying the music, right? ;)
    That his voice goes in and out during one show is reflective of him doing such long shows over time - i didn't mean one show at a time. A tour wears on a voice. So i'm just impressed that he maintains as well as he does - better than most singers at any age. As for the Van MYM... Still think it was rockin'. But admittedly, the fact that i saw it live about eight feet away from eddie in anboutstanding crowd might have an impact on my opinion of it. ;) Plus, MYM happens to be one of my favorite songs from LB.

I like newer boots better than older? Did i say that? I don't think i suggested that. What I do like more about new boots is that 1) there is a wider selection of songs for them to choose from obviously, and 2) Eddie has become more and more charismatic as time has passed. So that's awesome. But there are a whole shit load of outrageously good boots throughout PJ's career, and none of the ones from 2013 rank as the very best performance wise (my favorite boots have to include an amazing version of Blood, and it's been at least five years since that has happened), but a few rank as among the best set list wise. That last tour was so diverse in that context. But overall it could have been more dirty. That's what i like about older boots. Whether or not Ed's voice cracks is neither here nor there.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

DewieCox said:

mca47 said:

Prerogatives? Don't understand what you mean by that. I can't imagine that our prerogatives are any different... Enjoying the music, right? ;)
    That his voice goes in and out during one show is reflective of him doing such long shows over time - i didn't mean one show at a time. A tour wears on a voice. So i'm just impressed that he maintains as well as he does - better than most singers at any age. As for the Van MYM... Still think it was rockin'. But admittedly, the fact that i saw it live about eight feet away from eddie in anboutstanding crowd might have an impact on my opinion of it. ;) Plus, MYM happens to be one of my favorite songs from LB.

I like newer boots better than older? Did i say that? I don't think i suggested that. What I do like more about new boots is that 1) there is a wider selection of songs for them to choose from obviously, and 2) Eddie has become more and more charismatic as time has passed. So that's awesome. But there are a whole shit load of outrageously good boots throughout PJ's career, and none of the ones from 2013 rank as the very best performance wise (my favorite boots have to include an amazing version of Blood, and it's been at least five years since that has happened), but a few rank as among the best set list wise. That last tour was so diverse in that context. But overall it could have been more dirty. That's what i like about older boots. Whether or not Ed's voice cracks is neither here nor there.
    Uuumh prerogatives is definetely not the word I needed to use. I've looked it up and it has a different meaning than what I wanted to say. :\"> Guess that will happen when you're not writting in your own lauguage. X_X
    Perspective might have been a better word.

I though you mentioned earlier that the 2013 boots show Eddie in better voice than lets say 2010. I do see what you mean by not looking at it within the same night, but rather night after night. Still I also hear it at the begining of the tour. I just hope it is because of a cold and that his voice is top this summer.

Bieng at a gig can make a difference in how you listen to the boot, you are right. And Mind your manners on the Vancouver bootleg is by no means the worst on, but overall, I think mind your manners doesn't lives up to the album version. Like you I also consider Mind you manners one of my favorite track on the Lightning bolt album. If I take the song Lightning bolt, for me that songs works way better live than on the album. Off corse hearing that version and thinking back to the moment makes it special.

There are some decent versions of Blood, but usually there nowhere near as fiercy as ealier.
    That being said I'd love to hear it live once.

For me Eddie being in good voice and getting the lyrics right is the starting point of my selection in process.
    I feel that this is one of the reasons why Can't keep from Vancouver is the best take in years.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn