Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
edited December 2014 in The Porch
Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    edited March 2014
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003614822/ponomusic-where-your-soul-rediscovers-music

Pledge $400 or more

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: PEARL JAM – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

Limited (495 of 500 remaining)

Estimated delivery: Oct 2014
    Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    Where's the money tree, when I need it?
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    Only 488 Pearl Jam left!

PJ and CSNY have sold the most :-bd
    Are they going to squeeze all 5 guys sigs on one side of that thing??

The limited edition ones are gorgeous, though. Just not sure about that design....but holy shit, can that thing handle some high quality files @-)

Are they going to squeeze all 5 guys sigs on one side of that thing??

The limited edition ones are gorgeous, though. Just not sure about that design....but holy shit, can that thing handle some high quality files @-)

Maybe they will sign all 3 sides? :p . Or just 2 sides.
    Mike's sig would probably take up one side.

Whoa! Almost 200, 000 bucks raised in an hour.
  • fanofzsfanofzs NYC Posts: 507
    Sweet!
  • BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    Donated. Will buy a player as soon as they come out. God bless Neil Young and real music.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    rom what I read, even at $400, this will still be a steal when you can also switch out SD cards.
  • JH57554JH57554 Posts: 245

rom what I read, even at $400, this will still be a steal when you can also switch out SD cards.

This is definitely a steal. The standard yellow and black ones will retail for $399 once they hit stores. Slap Pearl Jam on it and call it limited edition and you've got some serious flippability on this in a year or so.

• jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    demetrios said:

All thanks to you, Demetrios! You should get one of each limited edition player!
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

jlaustin said:

demetrios said:

All thanks to you, Demetrios! You should get one of each limited edition player!
    Pearl Jam Edition is good enough for me. A Beck one would be sweet though. hmm ...
  • Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    "Artists choice of two albums loaded on the player."

I would think Binaural would be one of them simply because of the method it was recorded. Would the second be LB because it's new? Perhaps Ten since it's iconic and recently remastered? I wonder down the road how much albums will cost to purchase? HD-FLAC are currently $25, right? I can't justify that price for digital media.
  • PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    Pledge $5,000 or more

3 backers Limited (27 left of 30)

VIP DINNER & LISTENING PARTY WITH NEIL YOUNG – 1 Artist Signature Series PonoPlayer. Individual VIP dinner invitation & PonoMusic listening party hosted by Neil Young. One overnight stay at Half Moon Bay Ritz Carlton. (Travel not included) Plus: Website recognition and Thanks.
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 

I would think Binaural would be one of them simply because of the method it was recorded. Would the second be LB because it's new? Perhaps Ten since it's iconic and recently remastered? I wonder down the road how much albums will cost to purchase? HD-FLAC are currently $25, right? I can't justify that price for digital media.

I'm hoping it's not the albums that has already been released via HDtracks.com . Ten, Vs & Vitalogy. Would love some HD PJ audio that hasn't been released yet in the market.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    i've been waiting for this- it will be the first digital music player i own (i don't even have a smartphone). i wasn't planning on buying one now, but the artist edition at a price the normal edition will go for was too cool to pass up, imo.
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815

Curious to find out what two albums members of PJ selected :-?
    Very tempted to buy one of these but would have a really hard time explaining to my wife that charge on the CC :-t :-\"
    Neil Young version only has 146 left...

460 remaining for PJ
    what time did this go up? sure looks like it's going to meet goal by the end of the day.
    man, of the 14 artists offered, i'd gladly have chosen at least 8 of them- neil, willie, petty, patti, pj, dmb, hancock, arcade fire, and probably would do csny. cool to see so many artists i enjoy support this.
    Don't know if that video is showing actual product, but it looks like albums will be $18 each or $2 per song.
    Curious to find out what two albums members of PJ selected :-?
    I don't think it's necessarily two albums by the artist...but the "artist's top two favorite albums."

• Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I got a question, which I'm not sure any of you know but, if I have flac files or vinyl rips on my computer can these be transferred to Pono, or does Pono only allow music to be synced that is purchased?
  • JH57554JH57554 Posts: 245
    According to the FAQ on kickstarter, you can add your own music in FLAC, MP3 & pretty much any other audio format.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Cool thanks.
  • wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    edited March 2014
    WOW The signed Neil Young New York poster and the swag is a steal.............100 bucks
    Post edited by wpg pearl on
    ajb
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    399 will not be the actual retail price ofc at amazon and such places. But, 400 is nice. On the go I'm happy with MP3 and listeng through my Smartphone so I don't really need it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    I've been waiting on this for a couple of years now. Even better that PJ is involved. In for the PJ edition.... can't wait to see their album picks.
    AndySlash said:

what time did this go up? sure looks like it's going to meet goal by the end of the day.

Kickstarter page went live @ 2pm EST.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    "There has been criticism of the idea of distributing music in this format from various people, including audio engineers, citing scientific studies that found no audible difference between 16-bit/48kHz and 24-bit/192kHz formats. Additionally, it is claimed that playing music in a 192kHz format may be detrimental to sound quality on many devices, since most audio hardware is designed for best performance with lower bandwidth signals."

By the way, can it also play MP3/WAV format? Or only FLAC in this new Pono-format?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"