Benaroya Hall, seriously?

Okay, I don't even know where to start with this. This "holy grail" that people are valuing at around 1,000, I bought new from ten club back in 2004 or 05 for I think 60 bucks. I've always listened to vinyl from the age of 15. I'm 31 now, back when I was 15 the internet and downloading music for free didn't exist. We used to pay 15 bucks for a cd. I was big into Zeppelin, Rush, The Beatles, The Who ect ect at the time. My parents had all the records, made sense to buy a record player. Free music before free music became the trend right? Anyways I've always just been a vinyl record listener, not because it sounds "sooo much better" or because it's anaolog, but for that simple reason. It was the format that I came to age listening to music on. Now let's flash forward to today. I can't help but notice this resurgence of vinyl, I can't but my wallet sure can... Benny. This guy. Trust me, it's not worth the price. It seems 90% that own it don't even listen to it. They own it to own it and to talk about how much it's worth. True collector fashion. Ever since day one of someone willing to pay x amount for it, the price has just skyrocketed. But they only printed 2000! Look at a lot of pressings, there are multiple pressings of xout of 2000. Pressing 2000 isn't rare. Basically, if you dumbasses that are looking to buy it wouldn't look at it as worth 1000, it wouldn't be. I very rarely listen to mine. It's not even on 180g. Plus I constantly see vault 3 vinyl being offered up as bate. Vault 3 kicks the shit out of Benny. Like it seriously drops the Macho Man Elbow on Benny's face in terms of a great album. Don't want something just because everyone else wants it, want it for what it is. Seriously, the Benny price = Riot act + No Code + S/t + LO2L + Lost Dogs, or DMB live trax 1-3 + Wilco Kicking Televisions + MMJ Okonokas + Vault 3 + some Third man record. Not worth it in my humble opinion.

Comments

• JB23237JB23237 Posts: 1,370
    So you're saying it's available to trade if so pm me
    Alpine Valley East Troy WI 1998...United Center Chicago IL1998...All State Arena Rosemont IL 2000 (anybody have a spare poster)
    United Center Chicago IL 2003...Alpine Valley East Troy WI 2003...Toledo OH 2004...Marcus Amphitheater Milwaukee WI 2006
    United Center Chicago IL Nite 1 2008...United Center Chicago IL Nite 2 2008...United Center Chicago IL Nite 1 2009
    PJ20 East Troy WI Nite 1 2011...PJ20 East Troy WI Nite 2 2011...Wrigley Field Chicago IL 2013...iWireless Center Moline IL 2014
    Bradley Center Milwaukee WI 2014...EV Auditorium Theatre Chicago IL Nite 1 2008...EV Chicago Theatre Chicago IL Nite 1 2011
    EV w/ PT celebrating the Who Rosemont Theatre Rosemont IL 2015
  • retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    I'll give you sixty bucks.......
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • You were born in 1983 and you've always listened to Vinyl?

Ill give you $80 bucks for it then. If its not that "good" sell if for you what you paid for it.

I want to listen to it and do not want to pay 1k so pony it up then.
  • slinger256slinger256 Victoria Posts: 371
    Ill trade you my Vault 3, Sevens, Uke Hardcover Songbook, Live in Melbourne March 98 LP, all new and sealed for it? and then I will spin the shit out of it for you. Let me know.
  • And between the pm's and these replies I'm getting, I wouldn't be surprised it the ebay price hits 2k in a year or so. It's not worth the value you guys think and hold it to. Yea, like I'm going to give mine up for 60 bucks only to replace it for 1K. You people are so silly. I'm just simply saying they way you guys fall over yourselves for it, it's not worth it. Have any of ya'll actually listened to the set before? I apologize, but 25 minutes blows, the fact that Ed doesn't even sing and leaves it up to the crowd the climax of Black. Off He Goes and Immortality live can be found amazingly on LO2L and Vault 3, plus lots of others on the Xmas singles, I don't understand how these four little rotating circles with grooves on them have become worth what some are willing to pay.
  • DamiensDamiens Posts: 766
    I'm one of the "dumbasses" that recently bought a sealed Benny for $1000. I've wanted one for a long time, found a good trader here on the board that I trust and we met at a Starbucks in San Diego and I bought my "grail". That was about a month ago and I haven't regretted the decision yet.

Opening the Benny and spinning it for the first time is an awesome memory for me. I got the kids to bed, opened a good bottle of wine and spun the first lp. Great acoustic show, warm sounding vinyl...a great listening experience.It looks cool (I love colored vinyl), it sounds great and it's a band I love. I've played it every weekend since I've purchased it, it makes me happy, worth the money to me. I like digital, I have a ton of music on digital, but I also have a ton of vinyl and love the tangible aspect of it. I love the experience of vinyl. That's what I paid a grand for. The chance to experience this lp over and over and over.

Look, everybody's got there thing. I have friends that drop hundreds on Husker season tickets, I work with some women who've dropped 1200 for a Louis Vitton purse, people spend thousands to go watch the Olympics, or own comic books or drink a certain bottle of wine. I don't judge, everybody has their thing. People aren't dumbasses for buying things that make them happy.
  • slinger256slinger256 Victoria Posts: 371
    I guess I'm head over heels for it since it was my 2nd live PJ show. I was lucky enough to get one ticket and travel on my own , meet some incredible people, have a highly memorable evening and take in what I consider to be a great set. It was at a time in my life where that $60 purchase wasn't something I could afford after allowing myself this great trip. For some the value is beyond the collectible aspect of it. BTW....I'm that guy/donkey...... Druummmmm Solooooo!!! Hopefully I've ruined someone's by yelling that and now they'd like me to own it.
  • I got $500 for it...and a Valentine!
  • Ya know what...let Slinger have it....I will add $100 cash to his offer for it. He needs the Record!
  • Damiens said:

I'm one of the "dumbasses" that recently bought a sealed Benny for $1000. I've wanted one for a long time, found a good trader here on the board that I trust and we met at a Starbucks in San Diego and I bought my "grail". That was about a month ago and I haven't regretted the decision yet.

Opening the Benny and spinning it for the first time is an awesome memory for me. I got the kids to bed, opened a good bottle of wine and spun the first lp. Great acoustic show, warm sounding vinyl...a great listening experience.It looks cool (I love colored vinyl), it sounds great and it's a band I love. I've played it every weekend since I've purchased it, it makes me happy, worth the money to me. I like digital, I have a ton of music on digital, but I also have a ton of vinyl and love the tangible aspect of it. I love the experience of vinyl. That's what I paid a grand for. The chance to experience this lp over and over and over.

Look, everybody's got there thing. I have friends that drop hundreds on Husker season tickets, I work with some women who've dropped 1200 for a Louis Vitton purse, people spend thousands to go watch the Olympics, or own comic books or drink a certain bottle of wine. I don't judge, everybody has their thing. People aren't dumbasses for buying things that make them happy.

WELL SAID!

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Damiens said:

Damien spoke in class today!
    =D>
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    Strange thread

The market price is high because there's demand. If it was purely hype based it wouldn't have lasted this long.
  • The demand is based off the hype. The hype has never gone down about 5 years after it was pressed and then there became a huge influx of people that all of a sudden listened to vinyl records. Then they heard about the Benny press, and since then they have hyped themselves out of any reasonable cost to own it. There was zero demand and zero hype when it was first pressed and released.
  • Okay, I don't even know where to start with this. This "holy grail" that people are valuing at around 1,000, I bought new from ten club back in 2004 or 05 for I think 60 bucks. I've always listened to vinyl from the age of 15. I'm 31 now, back when I was 15 the internet and downloading music for free didn't exist. We used to pay 15 bucks for a cd. I was big into Zeppelin, Rush, The Beatles, The Who ect ect at the time. My parents had all the records, made sense to buy a record player. Free music before free music became the trend right? Anyways I've always just been a vinyl record listener, not because it sounds "sooo much better" or because it's anaolog, but for that simple reason. It was the format that I came to age listening to music on. Now let's flash forward to today. I can't help but notice this resurgence of vinyl, I can't but my wallet sure can... Benny. This guy. Trust me, it's not worth the price. It seems 90% that own it don't even listen to it. They own it to own it and to talk about how much it's worth. True collector fashion. Ever since day one of someone willing to pay x amount for it, the price has just skyrocketed. But they only printed 2000! Look at a lot of pressings, there are multiple pressings of xout of 2000. Pressing 2000 isn't rare. Basically, if you dumbasses that are looking to buy it wouldn't look at it as worth 1000, it wouldn't be. I very rarely listen to mine. It's not even on 180g. Plus I constantly see vault 3 vinyl being offered up as bate. Vault 3 kicks the shit out of Benny. Like it seriously drops the Macho Man Elbow on Benny's face in terms of a great album. Don't want something just because everyone else wants it, want it for what it is. Seriously, the Benny price = Riot act + No Code + S/t + LO2L + Lost Dogs, or DMB live trax 1-3 + Wilco Kicking Televisions + MMJ Okonokas + Vault 3 + some Third man record. Not worth it in my humble opinion.

IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Brilliant thread....really. Jesus
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • ahill721ahill721 Posts: 2,071
    Why is this in Lost Dogs? It appears you aren't selling or trading the Benny, put this ridiculous thread where it belongs.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I think it was just an elaborate method to claim he was the first to enjoy vinyl.

I own a benny. I listen to it on occasion.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    They should just reissue it already and end this frenzy image

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

They should just reissue it already and end this frenzy image

Bingo

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Benny is one of the best sounding pieces of wax I own. It's worth every penny of the aftermarket money I paid.

Clearly you don't understand the concept of collecting. Not sure I understand what you have FS or FT since this is the Lost Dogs forum.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • MayDay10 said:

I think it was just an elaborate method to claim he was the first to enjoy vinyl.

:)) =D>
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    pdalowsky said:

Strange thread

The market price is high because there's demand. If it was purely hype based it wouldn't have lasted this long.

Always the voice of reason Sir Paul.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    The OP almost sounds like "sour grapes" if I read between the lines.
    Like maybe he sold/traded his Benny cheap then found out what they go for?
    I certainly wouldn't be angry if I had an item worth a grand that I'd only paid 60 bucks for.
    I'd be stoked!
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    hipster
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    youngster said:

hipster

Hipster? =)) What?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    This thread was created to solely create more hype. Well done.
  • BergfallBergfall Posts: 115
    You can spend 1000$ getting music you probably already own, enriching someone you know not the moral fiber of,
    or you can go to a place like kiva.org or any decent humanitarian effort, and put that money to some real use...

I hadn't collected PJ vinyl and misc. long before I realized I had to set a max cap, mine is 1000 Norwegian = 164$ and I intend to do fine, just won't get a full collection for a few year yet, but can (cheese ahead!) groove on the fact that someone got a full stomach, backpack or AK-47 magazine...and I bet you they needed it a whole lot more than me, the Ebayer or any old PJ member....

Let the prints run wild, kill the market, it's just to silly...isn't it???
  • Haha you people are hilarious. Yes this was just an elaborate way to creat hype, yes I sold mine, yes I want everyone to know that I was the very first person in the world to listen to it, yes I'm a hipster. Did I miss anything? I'm just simply trying to show a rational side of why it's not this amazing holy grail that people have put on a pedestal and put so much value on. It's 4 records, made of vinyl. By all means if you think it's worth it and want to spend an ungodly amount for it, go ahead. Save your dollars up, find it buy, listen to it. Say what you want about me, and keep on reaching for that goal.
  • I actually agree with the original post. It's just a set of records that most of you don't even listen to. If you have a thousand dollars to spend on a record whether you listen to it or not is craziness. I'd be much more impressed if you gave the money to something that needs it.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Yeah... well I owned it, and had a tornado take it away in 2011. THAT'S what sucks. Whine all you like people.. and I bought it in the ten club sale in 2003 too.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC