Just Breathe went Platinum

igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
Just Breathe certified Platinum single http://bit.ly/PJBackspacer

Their 4th single to reach at least Gold status (Merkinball, Last Kiss, and Jeremy) and first to reach platinum
I miss igotid88

Comments

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Why do I have a tough time believing this
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Riaa.com
    I miss igotid88
    Certified Jan 22, 2014
    I miss igotid88
    I know I saw it, not saying I didn't believe you, just saying the modern digital age is ridiculous. Just breathe is their only song to go platinum according to my google search. You mean to say just breathe was more popular than anthems like alive? Even flow? Better man? Bullshit.

It just means that more children have downloaded the song in this era. At the time when those other songs were released no one could download shit. They bought a cassette single or cassette or cd. No downloads. No digital. No $.99 purchase. I know it's a legit stat but it bothers me as an adult who grew up as PJ did. Those original tunes were anthems. Just breathe is a filler.
    I'm just glad they ha

I know I saw it, not saying I didn't believe you, just saying the modern digital age is ridiculous. Just breathe is their only song to go platinum according to my google search. You mean to say just breathe was more popular than anthems like alive? Even flow? Better man? Bullshit.

It just means that more children have downloaded the song in this era. At the time when those other songs were released no one could download shit. They bought a cassette single or cassette or cd. No downloads. No digital. No $.99 purchase. I know it's a legit stat but it bothers me as an adult who grew up as PJ did. Those original tunes were anthems. Just breathe is a filler.

I understand. I'm just glad they have another single reach that status.
    I miss igotid88
  • retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    i guess sirens will be next.......
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425

i can't see how this bothers you. Just Breathe is not my favorite PJ song either, but isn't great that a million individuals like a recent P.J. song enough to actually pay for it?
    Yea, I agree. I was just shocked at the platinum part, that's all. It's a recent statistic that has little historical validity. Kind of like when they say a movie is the highest grossing movie of all time. Well guess what, ticket prices are 15x what they used to be, so it's not exactly fair to compare it to big movies from 20 years ago- when now you can buy it on DVD, bluray, streamed on your pc, iPhone, etc, and there are 2000 movie theaters now compared to 150 then, and you're only option was to buy a VHS tape when it was released. Just seems like a modern statistic and it deserves to have an asterisk next to it explaining the sales now vs sales then is all.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I have no issues with this. One of the best songs theyve written in the 21st century.
  • AponeApone Posts: 575

I have no issues with this. One of the best songs theyve written in the 21st century.

Yeah I tend to agree.

Don't know why some PJ fans have such an issue with this song or certain others like Sirens, for example.

2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    it's all the willie nelson fans seeing who this "pearl jam" guy is LOL

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

True dat

• justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    edited February 2014
    I think it's pretty wonderful the song was purchased a MILLION times. :)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    PJ has lots of ballads/slow songs that could have been released as singles but never were: Release, Nothingman, Off He Goes...The list goes on and on...I always sort of complained to myself that many of these songs were missed opportunities...But at the same time, I kind of liked that fact that these songs were saved for the fans of the album. You can't win won way or the other with this...
  • Wow, very cool. Incredible song and I'm glad that it has touched a lot of people. It was our wedding song. My wife is not a huge Pearl Jam fan, but it really connected with her too (not just me insisting on it, haha). It also closes out her favorite documentary, Buck, as she teaches horseback riding lessons to mentally and physically disabled people (equine therapy).
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,539
    edited February 2014
    vaggar99 said:

PJ has lots of ballads/slow songs that could have been released as singles but never were: Release, Nothingman, Off He Goes...The list goes on and on...I always sort of complained to myself that many of these songs were missed opportunities...But at the same time, I kind of liked that fact that these songs were saved for the fans of the album. You can't win won way or the other with this...

Off he goes was a single. If released as planned, Black would have been the biggest single of them all imo.
    Post edited by Niko80 on
    I will swallow poison
  • Not a big fan, and I've noticed a little trend since Riot Act for Eddie Vedder songs on PJ albums, often not sounding very Pearl Jam (ish), and probably belonged on his solo releases, or Xmas singes/EPs

Gone, Come Back (Pearl Jam)
    Just Breathe, The End, Speed of Sound (Backspacer)
    Sleeping By Myself (Lightning Bolt)
    Alive, Even Flow, Jeremy (Gold) Black, Better Man, and I Got id (Gold) would have probably been platinum if mp3s were big back then.

I miss igotid88
    Just Breathe was released on October 31, 2009 as the second single from the band's ninth studio album, Backspacer. The single was released as a double A-side along with the song "Got Some". On January 22, 2014, "Just Breathe" was certified platinum in digital sales by the RIAA. It is the band's first platinum-certified song.
    I miss igotid88
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I love that 45
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,743
    Just Breathe is an amazing song. I would have to say it's one of their best. They've always had ballads, Betterman, Nothingman, Small Town, etc. That being said I don't think I would have loved this in 92 but I've gotten older just like the band and with death and birth constant in my life, this song fits perfect.
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
    I miss igotid88
    Spotify streams as of Oct 16
    I miss igotid88
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Just Breathe is an amazing song. I would have to say it's one of their best. They've always had ballads, Betterman, Nothingman, Small Town, etc. That being said I don't think I would have loved this in 92 but I've gotten older just like the band and with death and birth constant in my life, this song fits perfect.

It's an amazing song.  I really do like backspacer.   I never got Sirens, not sure why, it sounds a little too produced to me, but both the end and just breathe on backspacer sound so good.
    Just Breathe by Pearl Jam is #50 on iTunes rock songs chart. http://bit.ly/PJamJustBreathe
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    Just Breathe by Pearl Jam is #50 on iTunes rock songs chart. http://bit.ly/PJamJustBreathe
    I miss igotid88
    You don't like Jennifer Warnes? 
    I miss igotid88