YELLOW MOON

Mad MohabMad Mohab Posts: 310
I feel this one is magical, phenomenal, a gem...in other words, I'm a huge fan. This one on vinyl....can't wait!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    this new album is quite good. especially once you hear it a few times. love pendulum too.
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    I love this part:

An echo that rings
    A bullet unchained
    One life, one grave
    Joins the parade

The sky grows dark
    With fallen stars
    Who'd come so far
    A headstone engraved
    The colors turn gray
    The black and white fades
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    I don't remember the last time I heard a song this beautiful.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I fell asleep hearing this in my head last night.
    I actually woke up this morning still singing it internally.

I love this song!!! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    It's really a beautiful song :)
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    This song kicks my ass it is so good. Very atmospheric. It feels like Off He Goes and Lowlight had a baby?
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    beautiful song and really HUGE live. it just fills up the room and knocks you over. One of my favs from LB
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • As well, one of my favorites from Lightning Bolt. The beginning words are the most powerful for me:

Here, far away,
    One could feel the Earth vibrate

Moon, changing shaping and shade
    As we all do under its gaze

Damn! So beautiful, solid - When I first heard this, it was so apparent that the music was Jeff's - his music is tangible when I hear it - which may seem strange - but it's like light on fingertips, moving with each heartbeat.

Lyrics - again, so strikingly appropriate - the brilliance of Eddie - I think a lot about his grasp of and usage of language - it fascinates me, his ability. As a high school English teacher, I cannot help but wonder if he wrote like this as a student. He is truly gifted.

An amazing song - powerful.
    k9s4Bern wrote:
    As well, one of my favorites from Lightning Bolt. The beginning words are the most powerful for me:

Here, far away,
    One could feel the Earth vibrate

Moon, changing shaping and shade
    As we all do under its gaze

Damn! So beautiful, solid - When I first heard this, it was so apparent that the music was Jeff's - his music is tangible when I hear it - which may seem strange - but it's like light on fingertips, moving with each heartbeat.

Lyrics - again, so strikingly appropriate - the brilliance of Eddie - I think a lot about his grasp of and usage of language - it fascinates me, his ability. As a high school English teacher, I cannot help but wonder if he wrote like this as a student. He is truly gifted.

An amazing song - powerful.

Yes yes yes. Perfect description. The beginning pulls you in quick and doesn't let you go. I liken this song most to Parting Ways as it slowly builds, gets inside your head and then slams you to the ground with its grinding chorus.
  • Yellow Moon is haunting....gorgeous song!
  • TJ25487 wrote:
    This song kicks my ass it is so good. Very atmospheric. It feels like Off He Goes and Lowlight had a baby?

Right on!!
    Alburquerque-2000, Kansas City-2003, Denver-2006, Honululu-2006, Kansas City-2010, St. Louis-2010, Oklahoma City-2013, Lincoln-2014, Wrigley #1-2016, Wrigley #2-2016
  • What is everyone's take on what the message is? It seemed straight forward but I have that reference to the revolver moon,which is in the song artwork, in my head and wonder if the song refers to that at all. The lyrics do talk about a bullet unchained.

Really do love this song and glad I was able to hear it live at the concert. I'm a big fan of songs that Jeff wrote.
    To and fro the pendulum throws

"Don't Worry, Be Happy." Avatar Meher Baba

7/12/11 - EV Oakland 2, 10/22/11 - EV Bridge School
    9/25/11 Vancouver, 11/26/13 - Oakland, 11/7/15 - Buenos Aires
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 900
    Its a beautiful song but the lyrics sound quite dark to me.
    Sounds like someone who is fed up on life and has gone off on their own to reassess their life and meaning and ultimately commit suicide.
  • phungiphungi Posts: 640
    Given the album is dedicated to Uncle Neil, and the obvious reference to "Yellow moon on the rise" in the song "Helpless" there is a clear connection... There is no obvious meaning to "Yellow Moon" in nautical, weather, or other terms, so we have to take this song at face-value: mourning over or reference to loss of life, perhaps random or senseless loss of life. Since 'Helpless' references a small town, I think this song is about the tragedy in Newtown CT.
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Versus13Versus13 Vancouver, BC Posts: 191
    Love this song! Kinda reminds me of Lowlight with the unusual time signature. Great job of this song in Pittsburgh!! :D
    Pittsburgh, PA 10/11/13
    Detroit, MI 10/16/14
    Tampa, FL 4/11/16
    Jacksonville, FL 4/13/16
    Toronto, ON 5/12/16
    Chicago, IL 8/22/16
    Chicago, IL 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL 8/20/18
    Boston, MA 9/4/18
    Ottawa, ON 9/3/22
    Hamilton, ON 9/6/22
    Toronto, ON 9/8/22
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    phungi said:

Since 'Helpless' references a small town, I think this song is about the tragedy in Newtown CT.

I agree with this. I think it might be about the shooter. "One life, one grave, joins the parade." .... I heard, but cannot verify, that it Native American culture a yellow moon signifies that someone has died.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do

phungi said:

Since 'Helpless' references a small town, I think this song is about the tragedy in Newtown CT.

I agree with this. I think it might be about the shooter. "One life, one grave, joins the parade." .... I heard, but cannot verify, that it Native American culture a yellow moon signifies that someone has died.
    It would be even more haunting if this were true?
    Ok, I searched the web looking for meanings of Yellow Moon but did not find anything good but there was a song meaning website and someone posted that Ed mentioned at the Worcester Mass show that the song was about the Boston Bombings.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    No, that's not what Ed said. Ed said they were mixing the song in studio when they heard about the Boston Bombings. The song (words and music) had already been completed at that time.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    most of it is about the moon, there are deeper meanings of course, but people don't seem to realize that to an avid nature lover, as Eddie is of course, mountains and waves and the moon do not need symbology to give them power, they exert their own influence on the brain. when ed talks about a wave, sometimes he's just talking about a wave.
    I don't mean this in any offense, or to curtail the discussion, as like I said, it does have deeper meaning, I only want to add what nobody mentioned, and that is that the moon is actually the centerpiece of the song..
    if you have a profound relationship with nature you will be more able to appreciate eddies lyrics. you can take offense to that if you like ;)
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • What a beautifull song Yellow moon is.
    It's so serene and majestic.
    I think the previous poster is spot on.
    I feel it's a wonderfull salute to nature and the way you can escape
    and feel very small and humble in it.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    Got to hear this live at the Gold Coast Big Day Out festival on January 19. This was the only time it was played during the tour too so I am pleased. Ed mentioned something about there being a full moon and asked Kille to find it for him. :)
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    It is a wonderful song - here's to seeing it in Amsterdam.
  • Versus13Versus13 Vancouver, BC Posts: 191
    PJSEMPRE said:

I love this part:

An echo that rings
    A bullet unchained
    One life, one grave
    Joins the parade

The sky grows dark
    With fallen stars
    Who'd come so far
    A headstone engraved
    The colors turn gray
    The black and white fades

Yes! My favourite part of the whole song!!!

:)
    Pittsburgh, PA 10/11/13
    Detroit, MI 10/16/14
    Tampa, FL 4/11/16
    Jacksonville, FL 4/13/16
    Toronto, ON 5/12/16
    Chicago, IL 8/22/16
    Chicago, IL 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL 8/20/18
    Boston, MA 9/4/18
    Ottawa, ON 9/3/22
    Hamilton, ON 9/6/22
    Toronto, ON 9/8/22
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I feel Mike's solo could go on for a few more bars. It ends to abruptly. I want to hear more.
  • jmuscatellojmuscatello Colorado Posts: 332
    totally agree this song is a gem - haunting and atmospheric

• E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    Listening to it on the Gold Coast Big Day Out bootleg right now. B-)
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    One of the most beautiful songs ever recorded by the band! My favorite on the album
    I feel there is a kind of restraint in Eds voice, almost like he is trying to warn us of some impending doom but he can't be too specific. Its almost like he is gritting his teeth as he's warning of a yellow moon on the rise. Awesome!
  • ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810

One of the most beautiful songs ever recorded by the band! My favorite on the album

Couldn't agree more. Subtle, but direct and powerful at the same time.