Options

Framing posters

marjenmarjen CT Posts: 794
edited December 2013 in The Porch
I am ready to start framing my posters. So far I have posters for 5 of the 11-12 concerts I have been to.

I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. I dont really want to drop a ton of money on framing and matting, so I am thinking of doing this online. Can anyone recommend some good online options for frames and mattes. I probably want a flat 2" frame in black, something pretty sturdy with a solid back and decent glass or plexiglass, preferably matte finish. will probably go like 2" mat around each side, or so.

Any good experiences would be great to hear. I am thinking about Creig Frames which I see on amazon but not sure if they are ok or not. Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I just ordered frames from framesusa.com. I went cheap(poster frames for less than $8), but they had anything you would want. It was easy ordering online and shipping was quick. I would recommend looking into them. Good luck!
  • Options
    I took a quick look at them, but they had some many options it made my head spin lol. Maybe I will take a detailed look there. Thanks.
  • Options
    There are 100s of threads about this topic already. Gotta find the right one!
  • Options
    I did use the search tool but did not a find a thread specifically on framing posters and where to buy. There is a HUGE thread with people showing their posters, but tons of posts to sift through.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    I suggest negotiating with your friendly local framer.

Drop off 5 posters at once and maybe they'll cut you a deal.

If not, I'm sure the guy right down the street will.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    marjen wrote:
    I did use the search tool but did not a find a thread specifically on framing posters and where to buy. There is a HUGE thread with people showing their posters, but tons of posts to sift through.
    I usually have my posters framed by a professional framer,
    but a TON of folks in that HUGE thread like to use American Frame...
    Here's their website:

http://www.americanframe.com/

We'd love to see your finished projects in the "framed poster thread" when you've finished!!
    Hope that helps!!
    :ugeek:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    Let me settle this.
    1) Go to americanframe.com
    2) Pick a frame, preferably metal as they are the best and then run through the online calculator.

After not having much luck with local companies I have done my last 10 posters with this company and I will never look back. I just did my 18x24 Portland poster with a 1" wide black metal frame and a 2" blue matte with plexiglass with hardware for 85.00 to my door. The DIY kit took me 15 minutes to put together.
  • Options
    I'm very fortunate to have a framer in my area who does beautiful work for a very affordable price. I've had her do about a dozen posters for me -- all double matted with museum glass, invisible non-sticky corner supports, and my choice of frame. The most expensive one was the huge Tool Cyberman poster which came to about $132 if my memory is correct. All of the frame jobs were between $105 and $132, though, and you pay once the job is done... she usually takes 2-3 weeks whether you bring in one or five.

Never asked if she ships but...

Custom Corners in Hudson Falls, NY.

:)
  • Options
    Ok American Frame it is. I am looking at their site and it looks pretty good.

Looking to get this one, Black Wood Picture Frame-95504 its a 2" frame. Now another question. I am trying to think through the sizing options. I have 5 posters right now and if I some day land all of the posters I want (all my shows), the number will hit 10+. So I am thinking I should settle on a couple common frame sizes and play with the mat sizes?? Is this what others do. It seems a lot of the posters are 20x26 or 18x24. There are a couple other odd sizes that I will deal with separately. So i am thinking it would make sense to get maybe a 22x28 frame as the standard size, then the mats would very between 1-2" or so all around.

Also for mats, I was going to try and match them to posters, but think it might be better to pick a standard color, maybe like a charcoal grey instead of having a bunch of different color mats, but I can see going either way on this.

SO for this is what I have to frame: Hartford 06, 08, 10, 13, Philly 09.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Take a few minutes and look thru the framed poster thread & you'll see some GREAT examples of what fans do with their posters!!
    There is a TON of good info & advice on doing the frames yourself in there too!!
    The BEST advice I can give you is don't rush and do these too quickly...You'll just end up re-framing them later!
    :ugeek:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170