Options

Let's talk about Getaway

stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
edited December 2013 in The Porch
For me, it's the best album opener since Brain Of J. and don't get me wrong, I love Breakerfall, Can't Keep, Life Wasted and GSMF...but Getaway is just so amazing. The subject matter, the lyrics, the music...it's all perfect.

Discuss. :)
Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    tis' good, indeed.
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    buck502000 wrote:
    tis' good, indeed.

I might be dumb but who the fuck is Simon?
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    It is my favorite song on the album and I love Stone's groove on it. Really wish I had heard it live. I can play it over and over and never get sick of it.
    To and fro the pendulum throws

"Don't Worry, Be Happy." Avatar Meher Baba

7/12/11 - EV Oakland 2, 10/22/11 - EV Bridge School
    9/25/11 Vancouver, 11/26/13 - Oakland, 11/7/15 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    Ricsard wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:
    tis' good, indeed.

Wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic, but if not, the song is referring to the game Simon Says where you only do something if the direction follows the words Simon Says. Ed commenting on how people in religions blindly follow what they are told.
    To and fro the pendulum throws

"Don't Worry, Be Happy." Avatar Meher Baba

7/12/11 - EV Oakland 2, 10/22/11 - EV Bridge School
    9/25/11 Vancouver, 11/26/13 - Oakland, 11/7/15 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    BabaLover wrote:
    Ricsard wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:
    tis' good, indeed.

Wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic, but if not, the song is referring to the game Simon Says where you only do something if the direction follows the words Simon Says. Ed commenting on how people in religions blindly follow what they are told.

This.
  • Options
    AponeApone Posts: 576
    I think it's probably my favourite song on the album. Awesome baseline on it aswell.

However it is impossible for me to say how it ranks amongst all of Pearl Jams album opening tracks - they are all so good!
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • Options
    AggAgg Posts: 462
    My favorite on the album as well. I hope they continue playing it live so I get a chance to see it one day.
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    great song, but over life wasted and can't keep?! :o
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:

Personally speaking, yes...but I still love those tunes as well. :)
  • Options
    I'll agree with this. Can't Keep is a close second...but yeah, best opener since Brain of J.
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    BabaLover wrote:
    Ricsard wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:
    tis' good, indeed.

Thanks for the great explanation!!!
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    its a cracker!
    danny d
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Great crunchy rocker of a song and an absolutely great album opener. One of my favorites off Lightning Bolt but this song is definitely one they need to work on live.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    It's the lyrics that I really love about this song. As someone who views fundamentalists as a real threat to society and as offensive to me as a logical human being (and atheist), this song is close to my heart... I actually wish Eddie had gone a little more hardcore with the lyrics - it's not quite enough of a "fuck you" for the religious nutbags for me. :D It is also a solid song musically. Not my fave on the album - I think in a perfect world it could have slightly more punch in parts, but all in all, I think it's a great song, and an excellent opener for the album. The Getaway > Mind Your Manners > My Father's Son is a fantastic opening sequence (too bad about that awkward transition into Sirens).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
    edited December 2013
    Yes I love the lyrics as well, at first I thought Ed was trying too hard to cram those lyrics into that vocal melody but it grew on me quickly

Live I think it hasn't really been fully realized though, at LA1 I didn't even know they were playing it until Ed started singing the verse.
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    Not nearly as good as Can't Keep as an opener, but much better than Life Wasted IMO (I love Avocado a lot - more than most people I think - but I am no fan of Life Wasted).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Getaway is possibly my favourite song of the album right now. I love it. Such a good opener - for the week we were able to stream the album, it's the only song I listened to. Never got past it. So punchy and I love eddies voice and the guitar riff and those drums.

Like someone's already said, getaway - mind your manners - my fathers son is such a great sequence.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    It's the lyrics that I really love about this song. As someone who views fundamentalists as a real threat to society and as offensive to me as a logical human being (and atheist), this song is close to my heart... I actually wish Eddie had gone a little more hardcore with the lyrics - it's not quite enough of a "fuck you" for the religious nutbags for me. :D It is also a solid song musically. Not my fave on the album - I think in a perfect world it could have slightly more punch in parts, but all in all, I think it's a great song, and an excellent opener for the album. The Getaway > Mind Your Manners > My Father's Son is a fantastic opening sequence (too bad about that awkward transition into Sirens).

Ha ha- I just wrote a post about my dad loving this album. However, the way he describes it is along the lines of "Those first three songs are hard for me to get into, but the rest of it is incredible." :)
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Gmoney wrote:
    Not nearly as good as Can't Keep as an opener, but much better than Life Wasted IMO (I love Avocado a lot - more than most people I think - but I am no fan of Life Wasted).

Even still?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ3rshXmPNQ
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Gmoney wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Gmoney wrote:

Whoa......
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Gmoney wrote:

God, they all look so fucking mid-2000s there. :lol:;) I just realized I have already really gotten used to Eddie's short hair. :lol:
    Yeah, do not like that song. Saw it live in Missoula. Not impressed seeing it live either. Was just waiting for it to be over (that Letterman performance IS a really great performance though! Much better than when I saw it! They were on fire for that one). It's in my bottom 10 PJ songs actually. Wasted Reprise is much better though. :)
  • Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    I love this track...my favourite on the album too!

Listened to album in full last night after a 4 week break and its still the standout for me.

I know its the wrong thread but gee LB single makes me cringe. I liked the original live version but the album version..... its just terrible IMHO.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    DonJon wrote:

I know its the wrong thread but gee LB single makes me cringe. I liked the original live version but the album version..... its just terrible IMHO.
    What song do you mean? Sirens? Yeah, the live single/video was way better than the studio version.
    I wasn't so hot on Sirens live at the show either though. Bit of a mood killer IMO. Sounded fine, but I dunno. Just didn't seem quite right.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DonJon wrote:

What song do you mean? Sirens? Yeah, the live single/video was way better than the studio version.
    I wasn't so hot on Sirens live at the show either though. Bit of a mood killer IMO. Sounded fine, but I dunno. Just didn't seem quite right.

Nah lightening bolt the song......don't know what it is but I just cant stand it.

Like the album a lot and Sirens is OK but not the worldbeater I was expecting (or some made out to be.

But YEP Getaway....love the rhythm and the lyrics.
  • Options
    DonJon wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DonJon wrote:

Nah lightening bolt the song......don't know what it is but I just cant stand it.

Like the album a lot and Sirens is OK but not the worldbeater I was expecting (or some made out to be.

But YEP Getaway....love the rhythm and the lyrics.
    Oh.... wow, you thought the original live version sounded good? At Wrigley Field you mean? I thought that was terrible - the "original" live version did not go well at all IMO. But I like Lightning Bolt! Great live, but certainly not the first time they played it in Chicago. They did a good job on Jimmy Fallon with it though. Great on the album for me too. :) I think maybe I can understand why some might not like Lightning Bolt though.
  • Options
    Yeah the Wrigley one.....thought it had great potential
  • Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    killer tune.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    For me, it's the best album opener since Brain Of J. and don't get me wrong, I love Breakerfall, Can't Keep, Life Wasted and GSMF...but Getaway is just so amazing. The subject matter, the lyrics, the music...it's all perfect.

Discuss. :)

I agree.......as an album opener, it sure gets your attention! :clap:
    It's a great song no matter where it is on the album.
  • Options
    Edved007Edved007 Milwaukee, WI Posts: 1,020
    I LOVE Breakerfall, but I'll give it 2nd place to that (only counting albums since Yield)
    95' - 7/9
    98' - 6/26, 6/27, 6/29, 8/26, 9/22
    03' - 4/25
    06' - 6/29, 6/30
    07' - 8/05
    09' - 8/23
    11' - 9/03, 9/04
    12' - 9/30
    13' - 7/16, 7/19, 10/21, 10/22, 11/15, 11/16, 12/06
    14' - 06/28, 06/29, 10/1, 10/03, 10/16, 10/17, 10/20, 10/22
    15' - 11/20, 11/22
    16' - 4/21, 4/26, 4/28, 4/29, 5/1, 5/2, 7/9, 8/5, 8/7, 8/20, 8/22
    17' - 4/7
    18' - 7/1, 7/3, 7/5, 8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20, 9/4
    21' - 10/1, 10/2
    22' - 7/12, 7/14, 9/6, 9/8
  • Options
    rtmarshrtmarsh Northeast Posts: 59
    Getaway stands on its own. Great bassline,crunchy guitars, expansive lyrics. Fuckin Pearl Jam 2013.
    “The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.”