Need advise to protect both traders

snow_board_ridersnow_board_rider Posts: 943
edited December 2013 in Lost Dogs
I'm about to do a poster trade with another member and we need some advise. We will be trading posters valued at $400-500 and we live on opposite ends of the country and we both want to protect ourselves. Does anybody have any advise on how to protect both parties and insure that we both hold up our end of the trade? Is there a way to escrow cash until both have been delivered? Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PG98467PG98467 Posts: 108
    'we both want to protect ourselves.'

Practice safe sex
  • Jason78Jason78 Posts: 400
    Meet halfway. Great road trip and who know's you guys could fall in love.
  • Jason78 wrote:
    Meet halfway. Great road trip and who know's you guys could fall in love.

Where the hell is 1/2 way between Seattle and Buffalo? Too far to be worth a poster. Keep the ideas coming in.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • Ship both posters to Dimi first.
  • Jason78Jason78 Posts: 400
    Actually not a bad idea.
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,311
    edited December 2013
    If the other party has traded before ask for references.
    Deposit $400 in each other's Paypal account. This way if you get screwed you can put in a claim.
    Once everyone is satisfied, you can choose to refund each other to recover your transaction fees.

See if the name is on here.
    viewtopic.php?f=20&t=149197&hilit=Recommended+members
    Post edited by HollisBrown on
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Dimi Why you do this to me Dimi ?
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Lol just do what you have to do now
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Lol.

I'm the other dude.

Big dealings going on.

I have a few transactions here. Bought a few things from adusick and also sold a Dublin s/n... The usps lost the thing for 3 weeks though. Lol.
  • slinger256slinger256 Victoria Posts: 371
    I've always wondered why Ref Check Threads weren't in these forums. Some of my other hobbies that I use online forums for these are standard.... and with the A Trader List thread not being active anymore these should be used a lot more.

If you guys are worried, shipping to a trusted 3rd party actually makes a lot of sense. Have to pay shipping twice but it's a small price to pay for a high valued item.
  • Yup...I've shipped to a trusted 3rd party on EB before. It's the best way to do it.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    Ship both posters to Dimi first.

If you guys are worried, shipping to a trusted 3rd party actually makes a lot of sense. Have to pay shipping twice but it's a small price to pay for a high valued item.
    I'm going to disagree with this. If you're both worried, I would say you probably don't have to worry about intentionally screwing each other over so that wouldn't be the issue. Shipping to a 3rd party would overcomplicate things and god forbid the 3rd party screws something up :?

I would say the biggest risks in this situation are:

1) Not managing each others' expectations. So negotiate every detail that matters to you before anything exchanges hands. E.g., you want it FedExed and you want a picture of the tracking label texted to you. Or you want payment via PayPal sent as "gift". Or you don't want payment to be sent as gift. You want your poster rolled up in craft paper. You want it sent the way Munk One sends, in those triangular USPS tubes. Etc etc etc. You can't expect the other person to read your mind.

2) Shipper fucks up. I guess that's always a risk, so you just have to agree on how you will handle if it comes to this.

Personally in trades I would prefer just one item be in transit at one time. One person gets it, examines the item, feels OK then sends the other item back. Of course this involves a lot of trust but I like to have faith in people and the universe. Gives me hope for human kind when people don't disappoint me. If they do then bad karma on them.
    I feel pretty good we are both concerned.

I've never had a bad experience here... but have seen some of those "last resort" threads where someone bails.
  • PJCubsPJCubs Posts: 291
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Lol.

I'm the other dude.

Big dealings going on.

I have a few transactions here. Bought a few things from adusick and also sold a Dublin s/n... The usps lost the thing for 3 weeks though. Lol.

I vouch for MayDay10! I purchased the Dublin S/N. It was delayed due to the USPS but it arrived safe and sound!

Trade with confidence.

I would also offer to be a halfway house for both items.

If you want to ship to me. I can wait until both items arrive before sending out to the respective parties.

I am in Chicago.

Let me know!

Bob
    Soldier Field - 7.11.95
    Chicago - 5.16.06
    Chicago - 8.24.09
    Eddie Vedder @ Chicago Theatre - 6.28.11
    PJ20 - 9.3.11
    Wrigley Field - 7.19 / Pittsburgh - 10.10 / Buffalo - 10.11
    Philadelphia 2 - 10.22 / Portland - 11.29 / Spokane - 11.30
    Amsterdam - 6.16 & 6.17 / Milan - 6.20
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Just speaking from my personal experiences with USPS I would suggest for a high value item trade like this that you both ship UPS.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • The real question is... What's the trade for? klausen Honolulu?? Ames Hartford?? Blackie Chicago?? We need the deets :lol:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    I'll vouch for MayDay...he bought my extra ticket in Hamilton a few years back....he's good shit...and a Buffalo Sabres fan, poor guy needs a break :D
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    I know both traders and would expect the best from each of them. With that said, if each of them want to ship each item to me, I promise only to enjoy their traded item for 1 day without getting any slobber over both of them and then ship them out to their intended recipients! Good luck with you both as both of you are valued members here and deserve a great trading experience
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Maybe ship one poster at first. Then if all is good send the others
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Add extra insurance and ship UPS.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    i understand the value of the poster makes the 2 members here feel unsecure and its logic..
    i like the idea of a 3rd party..i would offer to help if i was at the states and i saw Dave offered already..
    is a person you can trust..
    same someone like LukinFan aka Roger
    as for the two traders,from the forum,and from what i can tell we are talking about great people..
    good luck
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    its cool. I feel good based on elwayvedder's rec.

Its a Sperry Convention poster for a PJ20 Billboard btw.

And thanks for the kind words!
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,833
    Suziemay wrote:
    Personally in trades I would prefer just one item be in transit at one time. One person gets it, examines the item, feels OK then sends the other item back. Of course this involves a lot of trust but I like to have faith in people and the universe. Gives me hope for human kind when people don't disappoint me. If they do then bad karma on them.

I've had this happen to me a few times, the other party wants it shipped to them before they will send out their item. Even had it once we agreed to both ship and after a while the other party said "haven't shipped yet, waiting to get yours first... :fp:" Never been comfortable with it. 1) You can just not send your item, I'm screwed (though this could anytime). 2) If you don't trust me why should I trust you?

That being said I've never had a bad transcation on this board and have made a lot of trades. This community is great!

If you Paypal as a gift you won't be able to challenge anything if it goes south btw... check out their policies.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• JK36392JK36392 Posts: 840
    use PVC for $400-$500 prints.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    a5pj wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:

I've had this happen to me a few times, the other party wants it shipped to them before they will send out their item. Even had it once we agreed to both ship and after a while the other party said "haven't shipped yet, waiting to get yours first... :fp:" Never been comfortable with it. 1) You can just not send your item, I'm screwed (though this could anytime). 2) If you don't trust me why should I trust you?
    My suggestion here assumes mutual trust. If you don't trust the person, you shouldn't be trading with them. The reason I prefer only one item in transit at a time is because if for some reason one item gets lost/damaged or is not up to par for one person, no sense in the other item being out there somewhere, that's all.
  • Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,973
    Suziemay wrote:
    Ship both posters to Dimi first.

I'm going to disagree with this. If you're both worried, I would say you probably don't have to worry about intentionally screwing each other over so that wouldn't be the issue. Shipping to a 3rd party would overcomplicate things and god forbid the 3rd party screws something up :?

I would say the biggest risks in this situation are:

1) Not managing each others' expectations. So negotiate every detail that matters to you before anything exchanges hands. E.g., you want it FedExed and you want a picture of the tracking label texted to you. Or you want payment via PayPal sent as "gift". Or you don't want payment to be sent as gift. You want your poster rolled up in craft paper. You want it sent the way Munk One sends, in those triangular USPS tubes. Etc etc etc. You can't expect the other person to read your mind.

2) Shipper fucks up. I guess that's always a risk, so you just have to agree on how you will handle if it comes to this.

Trying to keep yourself from being put on the new "Official 3rd Party Shipper" list Su? ;)

I agree with what you say though. Trust is not lost.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    Isn't this thread with both trading partners showing up and identifying themselves some kind of protection too?

What do people do who score a Benny Hall on Ebay, discogs or on here for way more than 400 bucks? Maybe somebody can chime in. Is it a gamble?

I wish you both best of luck for your trade. I am sure this is gonna end well :)
  • Isn't this thread with both trading partners showing up and identifying themselves some kind of protection too?

What do people do who score a Benny Hall on Ebay, discogs or on here for way more than 400 bucks? Maybe somebody can chime in. Is it a gamble?

I wish you both best of luck for your trade. I am sure this is gonna end well :)

Well, Ebay has protections. With discogs, can't you use a credit card? So, along with the site, you card should give you some protections.

As for on here - I would assume you don't go the gift route so Paypal gives some protection.

None of it's perfect, but there's more protection than straight trades.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    Isn't this thread with both trading partners showing up and identifying themselves some kind of protection too?

Well, Ebay has protections. With discogs, can't you use a credit card? So, along with the site, you card should give you some protections.

As for on here - I would assume you don't go the gift route so Paypal gives some protection.

None of it's perfect, but there's more protection than straight trades.

Good points, didn't think about the built-in protection from these sites :thumbup: Can you tell I'm not used to purchases of that proportion ;) But it's good to know for the future. Our Benny fund is slowly, but steadily filling up...