The Concerned About Ed's Drinking Thread

PJ218304PJ218304 Posts: 15
edited December 2013 in The Porch
I've been getting increasingly concerned about the amount Ed drinks. I can't speak to his personal life, of course, but I don't understand why he needs to be drunk at every show. My experience is that people only drink to excess in order to deal with something they can't face sober, or else to try to escape from something. I've been to a few shows, and I honestly think that as a group we fans are not such a bad bunch. It's not like going to the in-laws where you might need a few beers first to make in through the evening.

So what's the deal? Are others as concerned as I am, or am I making something out of nothing here? Does anyone else feel that the drinking is adversely impacting the quality of the performances?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think that the shows themselves are really all us the fans can really attest to, I know that Ed was incredible at the shows I saw
  • lisa10lisa10 Posts: 18
    I've been thinking about that as well. I don't drink much alcohol, so I'm probably more on the overreacting side of this topic. But I really do hope that Ed only does this excessive drinking when on tour and has it under control for the rest of the year. I think part of is is him just putting on this rock star persona. Imagine the rest of the band would be as wasted as he is. Glad that they keep it together. That being said, yes I'm concerned as well.
  • McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    drinking is fun
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • skanji32skanji32 Posts: 592
    People I was speaking to Seattle said there was gatorade in the bottles and there's no way he'd drink that much.

Anyways, hoping that posting here doesn't go against the rules of the forum. If it did, this post can be deleted.
    My 22 shows:
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Montreal, Toronto
    2000 - Montreal, Toronto
    2003 - Toronto, Montreal
    2004 - Boston I, Boston II
    2005 - Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa
    2013 - London, Seattle
    2016 - Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I think the wine also plays a part in soothing his voice. i went to the back-to-back philly shows and i can't fathom how his voice puts out PJ songs on those nights and up to 4 or 5 times a week.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    I'm not concerned.
    That said, it did seem like he drank far more this tour than in any in the past.
    Also one of their best tours in recent memory....

At the end of the Phoenix show, he was hammered. I mean, speech slurring "what is he talking about" drunk.
    Amazing show though! :D
  • KC2917KC2917 Posts: 870
    McJuicy wrote:
    drinking is fun

I second that.
  • Are you kidding me! :fp:
  • CDFishCDFish Boston, MA Posts: 173
    Yikes....
    Terrible thread :nono: :fp:
    Hartford 1996; Mansfield 1&2 2000; Mansfield 3 2003; Boston 1&2 2004; Boston 1 2006; Mansfield 1 2008; Philadelphia 1 2009; Boston 2010; EV solo Providence 2011; Worcester 1 2013; Hartford 2013
  • Are you kidding me! :fp:

No shit. Geezuz people.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • The "Is this thread for real?" comment.
  • I can't believe this is being discussed.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I really hope ed poops regularly.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    I wanna rock n roll all night and part of every day ......
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    I'm concerned your so concerned with someone else's life that you don't even know. Ed's close to 50, he's a big boy. You ain't gonna change him. Maybe alcohol relaxes him when he's playing in front of 20,000 people for 3 + hours.

Reminds me of Surfer Eddie's Sunshine State bootleg from 1993. "I can take a drink from this bottle and be sober, or this bottle and be fucked up. I'll let you decide." Crowd roars at the alcohol bottle. Eddie, "Cheers" and they rip into Evenflow.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Mind your own business.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • I wanna rock n roll all night and part of every day ......

Exactly Mike! 8-)
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,341
    I really hope ed poops regularly.

:lol::lol:

Cheers!
  • Mind your own business.

MYM!

(had too :D )
  • #YOLO
    #SWAG
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • corduroykellycorduroykelly Posts: 668
    edited December 2013
    Mind your own business. Get a life. You don't know Eddie Vedder at all you know his music. Eddie Vedder's drinking has never affected any show or any album ever. How much Eddie drinks is none of your business. Nothing in Eddie's personal life is any of your business!
    Post edited by corduroykelly on
  • papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    I wanna rock n roll all night and part of every day ......
    Pretty awesome post from someone who claims to only speak "Greekglish".
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :wave:
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • I'm only here because there's nothing good on TV

:corn:
  • Mind your own business. Get a life. You don't know Eddie Vedder at all you know his music. Eddie Vedder's drinking has never affected any show or any album ever. How much Eddie drinks is none of your business. Nothing in Eddie's personal life is any of your business!

I guess we're going to talk about whether or not we can talk about it, rather than talking about it. Okay.

To the above, I would say this: I understand the spirit of what you're saying, but I disagree with some of your points. Specifically, this thread was aimed at the band's performances, not at anyone's personal life. If Ed is drunk on stage, that's not his personal life. I appreciate your faith that Ed's drinking has never affected a show, but my point was that I'm not so sure. I don't recall him ever drinking as much as he did on this last tour, and this is entirely my own opinion here but I believe the quality of his performance may be impacted by the alcohol.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    PJ218304 wrote:
    and this is entirely my own opinion here but I believe the quality of his performance may be impacted by the alcohol.
    Well, maybe at the end of the shows....

:lol:

I actually thought Ed sounded better this tour than well....since....~2000-2003.
    The ends of the shows were a little off.... :lol::lol:
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    why now u dont drinking on stageing??
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Do we really know how drunk Ed is during the show? He's a lead singer of a rock band. He's supposed to run around and do crazy stuff at a show even if sober. It is the job description. He could just be playing it up. I've heard the first bottle is gatorade but obviously don't know for sure. He was definitely letting the fans have a lot of the wine. But again, I don't know that we can really tell how drunk Ed really is, but maybe their are some folks out there who can. It can't be that Ed may just be tired after 2.5 hours and that is why he tripped over the amp?

Ed never drinks when he does solo shows, so obviously he doesn't have a problem he can't control folks.
  • PJ218304 wrote:
    here but I believe the quality of his performance may be impacted by the alcohol.
    I saw PJ more than once this tour and rest assured that is not the case ;)
  • Ed has been drinking his share at shows for year and he can do what the hell he wants. I doubt he is looking to "escape" from anything at the OP stated. Hell, I am happy person and I was drunk at every show I attended this year sans Vancouver and their early alcohol cut off. Some of us like to live it up more than others. Nothing wrong with that if it doesn't harm others.

The guy is a multi-millionare, with wife, kids and seems to be a happy dude doing what he loves for a living. Also, as someone referenced one of the wine bottles contains Gatorade. A guy singing his ass off for three hours needs some form of hydration.

While excessive alcohol consumption can have negative effects on the liver, etc. Ed is in pretty damn good shape. He is pushing 50 and in better shape than the vast majority of folks you see that age....better than the majority of the fans in the audience who are 10-20 years younger than him. :D
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I mean, if Ed were as cool as fuckin' Miley Cyrus, he'd just light a joint on stage & be done with it.
    </sarcasm>
This discussion has been closed.