Lame Seattle crowd yet again

124»

Comments

• SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Seattle Posts: 306
    They try to act like they know it all before you, when they are really 1 year behind everything in the north east aka New York. Just a pretentious wanna be liberal city of the arts. Such a wanna be place.

:roll: Seattle is a real place, Dude, with our own thing going on. Like developing whatever device you posted your message with. Not one everyone wants to live in NYC. It's a great city, but it's not the center of the universe. 1 year behind everything.......pfffttt.
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,634
    Seattle, NYC, etc. Ridiculous debate about who's cooler or ahead of the curve. Neither can hold a candle to Austin.
  • It seems any individual's appraisal of a crowd is strongly dependent on:

1) said individual's proximity to the stage

2) the demeanor of other crowd members in immediate proximity to said individual.

As for Ed's admonishment of the Seattle crowd, I'm reminded of sitting on an amphitheater lawn years ago. Not in Seattle. Or even the Great Northwest. It was a far-away land. Jerry Cantrell was opening for Metallica. Like many others, I was sitting on my duff. Talking to my friends.

Jerry yelled at us. He was upset. I'm paraphrasing here, but I remember it quite vividly:

"C'mon people! What is this? A fuckin' movie?!?!"

I remember one woman, a beacon of rock enthusiasm in a sea of disinterest. She was 50 feet from center stage in the sparsely filled lawn. She had blond hair with a fantastic mullet. Feathered on top and everything. Devil horns flying from her hands, head banging in perfect rhythm.

And there I was. Sitting on my ass. Being lame.

And I felt shame.

:(

:lol:

Hopefully you got up and got into the spirit of things after the 'fireside chat'. Happens to the best of us- forgive yourself!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    Surprising to me that people always say the Settles crowds are kinda lame. Especially when their sports fans are so rowdy. Seahawks and Sounders fans are crazy at their games.

That is true of the sports fans. I am of the opinion that some people of Seattle think they are above the band, and think about embracing lame fucking bands like fleet foxes more. They try to act like they know it all before you, when they are really 1 year behind everything in the north east aka New York. Just a pretentious wanna be liberal city of the arts. Such a wanna be place. Way over hyped.

If all you want to do is bash our city and its fans please don't come to Seattle! We don't want you and we sure as hell don't need you. All you do is drive up ticket prices making it harder for local fans to see a show in their own town. I had a great time at the show and got to meet some great people too. I'm just thankful I didn't get stuck standing next to an asshole like you.
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    brsnyder wrote:
    (and for the record the key arena has the worst acoustics of any venue I have EVER been to...no joke).

I have to agree with this completely. I think some of the feelings about the crowd, are really problems with this arena.

I can't recall being at a show with worse acoustics. I had a seat in the back, which I understand won't be very good, but it was like I was under water.

About half way through I found my way around to a better vantage, but it still wasn't great. The echo was terrible, and still things seemed muffled.
  • trentktrentk Posts: 62
    Sing it, brother. The Seattle show was awesome and the crowd was great. Haters hate and obviously don't have anything more important to do than bitchin and moaning.
    (P.S. The Key Arena does have horrendous acoustics).
    brsnyder wrote:
    Lame?...please...I hate to even say these words buuut, having gone to shows in Seattle since 92 I can say that there have been times Seattle fans have been a little tough, perhaps less then outwardly enthusiastic. I had the fortune of seeing 5 shows this tour (SD, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, and Seattle).

Last night I was PROUD of Seattle. I've been to dozens of shows in the Seattle area but this was the first time I have taken the opportunity to see 5 shows in a tour. I have my own opinions about the performances, crowds, and other variables of each show...it was amazing to start noticing the small variables in the band, sound sets, and crowd behavior.

In Seattle some songs were not extended with crowd sing along etc. Here is something to take note of; For anyone calling Seattle crowds "Lame" ; SEATTLE crowds don't need to be prompted or taught when, what, and where to sing. The reason you didn't hear the singing is because we were singing right along with him during the song...(and for the record the key arena has the worst acoustics of any venue I have EVER been to...no joke). But that is just my own personal observation/realization last night, which may or may not be accurate.

I've been asked "which was the best show out of the 5"...I can't even answer that!

Every show was unique and had it's own gems. Yes Vancouver blew the roof off the place...Oceans to open after all the talk on the board, very special indeed. Black was insane in Vancouver, I can't recall the last time I saw Eddie put that kind of emotion into that song. Not for you into Daughter into Okay...WOW. In Seattle Porch was off the charts...and fricken Seattle's Lukin killed it! Then just to top it off they ended with Eruption into Yellow Ledbetter!!! In San Diego I felt like I was at a private party with the bands family and friends. Portland was a unique intimate energetic crowd with a stunning performance by the band with so many special moments, speak and sing alongs. Spokane...well what can I say, Gleason was a wizard...Eddie gave it up for him and they blew my mind the whole night.

No need to hate on Seattle...I dare someone to come up with any PJ show that has more energy then "Seattle" has shown and proven throughout Pearl Jams history at various points in time...Let's not forget it was hell for many locals to get tickets for the first time ever (without mortgaging the home).

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and the performance last night and sad to here us called "lame Seattle crowd yet again."

Peace
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Wilds wrote:
    brsnyder wrote:
    (and for the record the key arena has the worst acoustics of any venue I have EVER been to...no joke).

I have to agree with this completely. I think some of the feelings about the crowd, are really problems with this arena.

I can't recall being at a show with worse acoustics. I had a seat in the back, which I understand won't be very good, but it was like I was under water.

About half way through I found my way around to a better vantage, but it still wasn't great. The echo was terrible, and still things seemed muffled.

i've never been to Key Arena or Seattle for that matter. But, I have seen PJ in arenas, amphitheaters and even an indoor theatre. I can without a doubt tell you the theatre is a much better experience. You just can't get good sound in a typical arena. I think I appreciate that sort of thing a lot more now than say even 5 years ago. getting old i guess

But, heres my point: Hardly anyone seems to like Key Arena. I think PJ should consider not playing there next time around. For the record, I feel the same way about the San Diego Sports arena and Viejas Arena.
  • WTF??? What show were you people at? From the similar thread:
    I was 2nd off the GA rail by Mike/Jeff. The people behind the stage were often on their feet, and the few times I looked behind, usually during a killer song like Porch, the whole arena was going NUTS. I remember being impressed that even the seats in the back rafters were jumping around like maniacs. I mean... if I'm a dick for not crowd surfing during Nothingman or Crown of Thorns, so be it, but I have trouble believing that the opening poster was at the same show as I. And that "lame" 2nd encore... yeah... the crowd's lack of exuberance totally ruined it for Mike during Alive :roll: And Kim Thayil (who I spotted backstage and glanced at several times from the start of that encore) had to be dragged onstage because of how disappointed he was with things up to that point :roll: :lol:
    As far as the Brazilians and Italians on the rail, considering that several of them were tall enough to start a new Seattle basketball team, they were doing everyone behind them a solid by staying crouched low so the rest could see... it was a conscious act of consideration. Sorry if it ruined things for you, but those of us behind them were grateful.
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    A few things that many/most of you seem to be missing:

1. Hasn't PJ played live in Seattle more than any other single location in the world? When you combine Seattle folks' access to PJ over the years with the fact that it's got to be the city with the most family and friends and extended family/friends in it that will come to any single show, you get an automatic situation where you have the highest % of people who've seen PJ A LOT, and also who are there almost more as a communit/family event, moreso than a "once in a lifetime chance to rock to PJ".

It's not bad in and of itself, I doubt anyone is coming as guests of the band to be a drag, but in the end, the energy is simply different. It just is.

2. Seattle clearly, as evidenced by this board, had the highest % of out of town, die-hard, been to a bunch of shows fans at it. Seattle was the show all the hardcore fans were determined to be at or wished to be at. That does 2 things: it creates a group that is thrilled but also tired, and it also raises the bar of expectation almost too high.

3. Also, with Seattle being such a meeting place for fans, like NYC and it seems like Philly/LA as well, it's a "destination show" and because of that, for fans too it's almost like a social event that is almost as important as the show. I heard a lot about people spending a lot of time and energy to meet up, just hearing some people's logistics tired me out and I was thousands of miles away!

All this adds up to it actually being predictable that Seattle big shows are gonna be rough to meet everyone's expectations for. Sounds like the band still put on a great show, but yeah, when Ed actually has to say "Sorry to be the singer who has to ask you to sound like you're having a good time..." (I know those weren't his exact words, but that seemed like the gist of it), then it's just a weird chemistry going on and more than anything, I think it's because there are a LOT of people who have seen PJ a LOT over the years and are almost happpier to be there to see friends and be part of a community than they are to see a show. And that's neither bad or good, it just IS.

By the way, I've seen quite a few PJ shows in Seattle, so I'm not talking as someone who never has or who only has seen shows in Seattle. Seen them all over the country. I have always enjoyed my Seattle shows, but Seattle is always just kinda... different.