Options

PJ20 Deluxe Blu-Ray Video Quality

2»

Comments

• Options
    have not seen the BD but - there is NO reason for HD-CAM footage (as immagine was shot on) to look blurry or pixalated? What the hel is this all about?
    It wasn't all shot in HD though. The footage they used could've been the Super 8.

What do you mean? That the concert footage could have been shot with several super8 cameras and cut together? That doesn't make sense. (and I know that there are pieces of footage shot with super 8 in IIRC) Ofc it was HD-Cam and there is a problem with the PQ that there is no reason for it being.

And super8 footage scanned in HD/2k still show great and grainy defenition. Not pixelated or blurry.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    I just watched the blu-ray for the first time over the weekend and was sort of disappointed but I feel bad saying it for some reason. I fully understand that lots of the footage was not shot in HD so it is what it is. Here's a little of what I can remember. My tv is 1080p too, using HDMI cable, etc, etc...

I found a few scenes of interviews with Mike that were definitely HD and midway through the scene it would cut to a lesser video quality, then cut back. The bonus scenes of Eddie's house tour were blurry. I noticed this in particular when Ed slides down the pole; in the movie it's in HD and the same footage in the bonus scene is terrible. Some of the 2006 live footage was pixilated especially in the bonus footage. Also, the deep bluish purple lighting in the background of Release from Italy and also in other live footage...it's just like a blue color blob with no definition to the picture. The winding road through Seattle when they were introducing Mother Love Bone was not as clear as I remember it being at the theater or PBS. Some of the images of Cornell talking were mixed...Some were very clear to the point where you can see the pores on his face, and other scenes were not at all.

It had me wondering if I actually had the blu-ray playing and I didn't accidently get slipped a DVD. Honestly, I thought the actual movie theater and the PBS airing had the best picture quality. I'm not bitching, and don't want to come across as a bitch, I just wanted to point this stuff out since someone started a thread about it and I agree.

Maybe its a limited edition because they rushed it out the door (they didn't want to sell too many of these inferior sets).
    The definitive 3 blu ray deluxe version (not limited) will be superior quality.
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I just watched the blu-ray for the first time over the weekend and was sort of disappointed but I feel bad saying it for some reason. I fully understand that lots of the footage was not shot in HD so it is what it is. Here's a little of what I can remember. My tv is 1080p too, using HDMI cable, etc, etc...

I found a few scenes of interviews with Mike that were definitely HD and midway through the scene it would cut to a lesser video quality, then cut back. The bonus scenes of Eddie's house tour were blurry. I noticed this in particular when Ed slides down the pole; in the movie it's in HD and the same footage in the bonus scene is terrible. Some of the 2006 live footage was pixilated especially in the bonus footage. Also, the deep bluish purple lighting in the background of Release from Italy and also in other live footage...it's just like a blue color blob with no definition to the picture. The winding road through Seattle when they were introducing Mother Love Bone was not as clear as I remember it being at the theater or PBS. Some of the images of Cornell talking were mixed...Some were very clear to the point where you can see the pores on his face, and other scenes were not at all.

It had me wondering if I actually had the blu-ray playing and I didn't accidently get slipped a DVD. Honestly, I thought the actual movie theater and the PBS airing had the best picture quality. I'm not bitching, and don't want to come across as a bitch, I just wanted to point this stuff out since someone started a thread about it and I agree.

I noticed all these things as well. In some cases, it appears to be source problems, in others it looks like a bad transfer...not sure why the Ed/Mike stuff would be blurry...but it sure is!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    love-boat-captainlove-boat-captain Essex. UK Posts: 476
    wow, yeah just been watching mine. it's aweful.

Yes I'm glad i got it and i know some people didn't, but we did also pay quite a lot of money for this set which should be good quality and for us that paid extra for bluray, well there is no point at all at this quality.

I watched PJ20 when it was on TV and it was better than this transfer. It surely has to be an error overlooked in putting this to bluray/dvd. SURELY Cameron Crowe cannot be happy with his work being out there like this, especially The Kids Are Twenty, it's mostly very bad.

I did email tenclub to ask about this, as even though I'm stoked to get this baby, I'm sure this is a big boo boo someone has overlooked. :?

Things like this should be discussed because it's important.
    London 29-10-96, London 29/30-5-00, London 20-4-06, Reading 27-8-06, London 18-6-07, London 11-8-09, London 18-8-09, London 25-6-10, Berlin 30-6-10 / PJ20 3/4-9-11, Manchester 20-6-12, Amsterdam 26/27-6-12, EV-London 30/31-7-12, EV-Orlando 27-11-12
  • Options
    You think they will start up a disc replacement system like Disney did with pinochio or Universal with Gladiator? ;)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    If I'm honest, i really think they need to!
    And usually I'm easily pleased as long as its hot PJ stamped on it lol.

Let's face it, this was a limited edition deluxe box set, exclusively available to us hardcore fanclub members and it's the bands BIG 20 year celebration film.

This is clearly a mastering fault. The worst DVD I've seen... And I bought the bluray lol.
    London 29-10-96, London 29/30-5-00, London 20-4-06, Reading 27-8-06, London 18-6-07, London 11-8-09, London 18-8-09, London 25-6-10, Berlin 30-6-10 / PJ20 3/4-9-11, Manchester 20-6-12, Amsterdam 26/27-6-12, EV-London 30/31-7-12, EV-Orlando 27-11-12
  • Options
    JJ42005JJ42005 Posts: 119
    seems clear to me that all the different video quality is by design, its a 20 year history of the band..

kinda like if you threw all the videos that you have of yourself on a master tape.... kept all qualities no matter what Video Camera it came from and not enhancing anything..

Its called art.. Crowe did an excellent job throwing this all together...

As for Thumbing My Way video.. this is how it was orginally shot, i have a copy of the Chop Suey DVD and that is exactly how the video is on that DVD, once again.. its a music video.. ART... they did it on purpose.
  • Options
    JJ42005 wrote:
    seems clear to me that all the different video quality is by design, its a 20 year history of the band..

kinda like if you threw all the videos that you have of yourself on a master tape.... kept all qualities no matter what Video Camera it came from and not enhancing anything..

Its called art.. Crowe did an excellent job throwing this all together...

As for Thumbing My Way video.. this is how it was orginally shot, i have a copy of the Chop Suey DVD and that is exactly how the video is on that DVD, once again.. its a music video.. ART... they did it on purpose.

I have to disagree. I think it was a transfer problem. Like I said, I fully understand that the sources are different and a good portion of the scenes were recorded in non-HD formats. But, for the same section of the movie to have a different picture quality weather it be dvd or blu-ray is not art at all, it's a mistake. Seriously, how can the video quality of one of the newer scenes (something that was shot in HD) be better on the dvd than the blu-ray? It makes no sense.
    "No time to be void and save up on life, you gotta spend it all"
  • Options
    I have to disagree. I think it was a transfer problem. Like I said, I fully understand that the sources are different and a good portion of the scenes were recorded in non-HD formats. But, for the same section of the movie to have a different picture quality weather it be dvd or blu-ray is not art at all, it's a mistake. Seriously, how can the video quality of one of the newer scenes (something that was shot in HD) be better on the dvd than the blu-ray? It makes no sense.

I see, I guess I dont have that problem with mine then. Everything looks pretty good to me...

Is there a certain section i can refer to? I will look back through your posts if you have listed any.
  • Options
    bosshogg18bosshogg18 Tacoma, WA Posts: 1,082
    If people are not happy with the quality of the discs, I would be more than happy to buy or trade for your copy. I have lots to trade. Please PM if you are interested. I want to give this to my sister and brother-in-law for Christmas. They have gone through their fair share of tragedy this year and this would help a little bit. Thank you.
  • Options
    Haha I knew this would come up, it's not that we are not happy as such, but just voicing that there is clearly something wrong with these.
    I won't be trading mine for anything even of it is a bad transfer, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be brought to the fanclubs attention, because after all it seems to be a substandard product which is rare for Pearl Jam and we did pay good money for it. I believe a lot of people who now wish they clicked the buy button earlier, probably held off buying it straight away because of its price tag.

As for the pixelation being done in the name of "art"... No, it's a nice thought but no it's definately not meant to be like that.
  • Options
    Very disappointing to hear more reports of such poor quality. I can understand why it obviously can't be all of HD standard. But to hear that the modern day interview footage is pixelated...

Maybe 10c can produce a corrected picture quality version. And, hey, while they're at it, they could make a few more copies for the near 500 who have signed the petition here ;)
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

I noticed all these things as well. In some cases, it appears to be source problems, in others it looks like a bad transfer...not sure why the Ed/Mike stuff would be blurry...but it sure is!

I noticed all that too, especially the 2006 stuff when it's dark...

For Eddie's house, I think it was filmed with two different camera, one HD and another one with film probably. You can actually see the non-HD one when they film Ed next his stack of valises.
  • Options
    Anyone defending it with stuff "like its art" or "its old footage".

The HD-CAM stuff shot for the IIC film or the interviews shot with the band should not look pixelated or blurry or anything.

It's a fuck up. And people paid what - 80 dollars for that fuck up. It's funny they realese something in this super-format that BD is, they charge way too much for it and than they can't even do a proper transfer/master?

I mean, its digital>digital most of the stuff shot.

And that thumbing my way video. I have not seen the video myself, but I doubt the production costs was too low on that. Wasn't it shot on film?
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Why couldn't they get something better than webcam footage for the 05 South American stuff? In one of the songs (can't remember if it's Black or Present Tense) Stone's face is so blurry it's almost completely unrecognizable.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Well, i just rewatched alot of all 3 discs.. and nothing I see is horrible.. but you can tell in some of the videos (eg. where they are interviewing Stone,) they are using 2-3 different cameras, creating different angles and when the scenes change angles it goes to a different camera that is more grainy but by no means to me is it pixelated or hard to watch or just flat out terrible.. and also during some of the concert shots too you can see the same type of changes. From what I see while watching it, nothing looks out of the ordinary, bad transfers or bad focus or anything.

What it does look like is different cameras, different formats and different resolutions were used..

I wonder if there was a problem with some discs.. but I honestly do not see anything wrong with what i have.

Please somebody post a timestamp of when and what disc they just see horrible video and if possible, try to take a picture of it I would like to compare.

Please dont use Thumbing My Way video from Chop Suey, that is how the original video on DVD is.

Just FYI, I am using a Samsung Bluray player connected to a Samsung 7000 series LED-LCD HDTV.
  • Options
    i finally got my Blu Ray boxset yesterday, after scanning through it there are loads of picture quality issues...things like 2 cameras filming 1 scene and 2 lots of picture quality..PJ are the best so lets see them in the best possible Quality
  • Options
    i noticed also at the End of Bushleaguer While Eddie is talking its goes jumpy, like watching an old VHS
  • Options
    Yes bushleaguer on the kids are twenty is a good example. It's terrible especially when Ed talks. Worse than VHS I'd say.
    Crown of thorns too. It's watching a streamed Internet version from YouTube on your TV.
    I watched the fans are alright last night and much of the same.
    A lot of that Italian footage is the same.
    Also without watching the whole ph20 film again, one reference I can point to us when Eddie is being interviewed on a sofa and is asked why is the album called Ten and he replies 'it's total dedication to Mookie'. That bit is like a bad blocky bootleg leg download, and it isn't meant to be like that. I saw this at the cinema and watched it when it was broadcast on TV and it was not like that.
  • Options
    Yes bushleaguer on the kids are twenty is a good example. It's terrible especially when Ed talks. Worse than VHS I'd say.
    Crown of thorns too. It's watching a streamed Internet version from YouTube on your TV.
    Also without watching the whole ph20 film again, one reference I can point to us when Eddie is being interviewed on a sofa and is asked why is the album called Ten and he replies 'it's total dedication to Mookie'. That bit is like a bad blocky bootleg leg download, and it isn't meant to be like that. I saw this at the cinema and watched it when it was broadcast on TV and it was not like that.

You don't get it. It's an artistic choice by the band exlusive to the homevideo market!
  • Options

You don't get it. It's an artistic choice by the band exlusive to the homevideo market!

Blurry can be artistic....but blocky can't be unless you are in the 1980's. Look at it closely 2005 and 2006 footage especially when there's darker sections with dark blue with the camera zooming/un zooming......

It's not art! That's for sure.

Edit: just realized you were being sarcastic........can't believe people think it's normal.
  • Options
    A good example to look at is Do the evolution on The Kids Are Twenty.
    The studio footage of the band playing where you can all the band, they look like Lego men.
    And the animated footage is like Lego too lol. Notice the animated girl footage.
    Nothing like the actual footage from the original that we all have on Live At The Garden DVD (i think).

Also thumbing my way is not the same as the chop suey DVD, it's much much much worse, pixelated, the chop suey isn't pixelated at all, it's just soft and slightly noisey. It's all over this but a good place to see it bad is when Ed sings "i wish that i could hold you, i wish that i had", where the camera is panning out. Looks like a Lego concert.
  • Options
    A good example to look at is Do the evolution on The Kids Are Twenty.
    The studio footage of the band playing where you can all the band, they look like Lego men.
    And the animated footage is like Lego too lol. Notice the animated girl footage.
    Nothing like the actual footage from the original that we all have on Live At The Garden DVD (i think).

Also thumbing my way is not the same as the chop suey DVD, it's much much much worse, pixelated, the chop suey isn't pixelated at all, it's just soft and slightly noisey. It's all over this but a good place to see it bad is when Ed sings "i wish that i could hold you, i wish that i had", where the camera is panning out. Looks like a Lego concert.

Looks like a LEGO concert is the best explanation I have ever heard. That is exactly what it looks like. The Interviews look great, the old film footage looks great, but most of the more current, post 2000, concert clips look like they were taken from YouTube. And those are the ones that look like LEGOs.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,113
    It makes sense for the pre 2006 tour footage to be blocky because I think they shot it with standard def digital camera. So the source isn't in HD, the upconverting SD digital video results in blockiness.

Anything filmed from 2006 and on was filmed in HD (I assume so because the imagine in cornice dvd states it was filmed in hd), so it should look pretty good?
  • Options
    The blu ray conversion was sabotaged.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    Zod wrote:
    It makes sense for the pre 2006 tour footage to be blocky because I think they shot it with standard def digital camera. So the source isn't in HD, the upconverting SD digital video results in blockiness.

Anything filmed from 2006 and on was filmed in HD (I assume so because the imagine in cornice dvd states it was filmed in hd), so it should look pretty good?

watch a DVD film upconverted to HD - it does not look as bad as Thumbing My Way or other stuff from this disc.
  • Options
    KartsKarts Posts: 116
    Watching the Lego show on blue ray this afternoon and it is just horrendous.

Are we saying the DVD version is much better?
  • Options
    Getting this on Bluray thinking we would get a PS4.

Turns out we all got an Xbox one.

Reference: http://i6.minus.com/ibjJH5vUnvss6f.PNG
  • Options
    KartsKarts Posts: 116
    Getting this on Bluray thinking we would get a PS4.

Turns out we all got an Xbox one.

Reference: http://i6.minus.com/ibjJH5vUnvss6f.PNG

Don't get the Blue Ray, the quality is unbelievably horrible.

I'm hoping someone says it is better on the DVD. Thumbing My Way is really important in my life right now and was just terrible to sit through.