Options

Seattle 2nd encore

Indifference152Indifference152 Posts: 305
edited December 2013 in The Porch
Out of a majority of the shows this tour, I'd say the Seattle 2nd encore is very weak. Last 3 kick out the jams, eruption, and Ledbetter? Wow....I'm sure it was a amazing show and all but damn...Main set was sick though. Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I wasnt there, but i am not impressed by the setlist at all.

I am sure it was a ton of fun though!
  • Options
    It was a very predictable night aside from "let me sleep"
  • Options
    Vancouver Portland San Diego and Phoenix are the shows to hear. Unreal. Based on setlists alone, Seattle near the bottom.
  • Options
    Vancouver Portland San Diego and Phoenix are the shows to hear. Unreal. Based on setlists alone, Seattle near the bottom.
    Brooklyn 2
    Charlottesville
    LA 1
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    You give me 36 tunes at a show and I could give two poops what the show looks like on paper.

It's never good to "arm chair quarterback" this bands live shows
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    You give me 36 tunes at a show and I could give two poops what the show looks like on paper.

It's never good to "arm chair quarterback" this bands live shows

This
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    I made one point and one point only. BASED ON SETLISTS, IT'S NEAR THE BOTTOM.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    it wasn't mind blowing but it looked ok i guess. Kick out the jams w/ Kim Thayil Mark Arm & Steve Turner would have been cool too see. BUt yeah aside from Let Me Sleep in the set list just looked average. I guess I was expecting some more "rarities" like how they ended the 2010 tour at MSG.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,314
    As with all PJ shows, you can say, Wow, look what they played and Wow, look what they didn't play. That's why it is definitely necessary to see multiple shows when they tour. I went to 3 shows. BK1, BK2 and Baltimore. All three were great times. Combined, I heard some great songs, common and rare. Overall, great times had by all.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    As with all PJ shows, you can say, Wow, look what they played and Wow, look what they didn't play. That's why it is definitely necessary to see multiple shows when they tour. I went to 3 shows. BK1, BK2 and Baltimore. All three were great times. Combined, I heard some great songs, common and rare. Overall, great times had by all.
    True.
    The best show is often in the least expected place. Although I still think Brooklyn 2 is one of the best of this tour. Something about NYC that brings out the best in them!
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,314
    Get_Right wrote:
    True.
    The best show is often in the least expected place. Although I still think Brooklyn 2 is one of the best of this tour. Something about NYC that brings out the best in them!
    Though I'd still like to know why they only had the 1 poster design for both shows. And a shitty one at that.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Though I'd still like to know why they only had the 1 poster design for both shows. And a shitty one at that.
    Indulging the artist. Pretty sure they just let most of them do their thing.
  • Options
    too bad too because it looks like they crossed off of the earth and hold on.....yikes.....
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    Out of a majority of the shows this tour, I'd say the Seattle 2nd encore is very weak. Last 3 kick out the jams, eruption, and Ledbetter? Wow....I'm sure it was a amazing show and all but damn...Main set was sick though. Thoughts?

I wasn't there but I don't agree. It was long and pretty unique with some more rare and out of place tunes.
    I'd always prefer that to the "typical" second encore staples.
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256

Vancouver and Hartford were epic. Seattle was good, but personally Vancouver was much more fun for me!
  • Options
    SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453

Portland and BC were awesome because the crowd demanded it...Seattle crowd, again, was pitiful.
    ShawnZ
  • Options
    I was at the show. The band was uninspired by the lame seattle crowd. What a pathetic city.
    How they do not embrace the home town band like NJ does for bruce or even lame ass bon jovi.
    Ny for billy joel the list goes on....
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I was at the show. The band was uninspired by the lame seattle crowd. What a pathetic city.
    How they do not embrace the home town band like NJ does for bruce or even lame ass bon jovi.
    Ny for billy joel the list goes on....

It's ok...Philly has accepted the band as their own ;)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,248

It's ok...Philly has accepted the band as their own ;)

True -- as has Hartford. :)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    As has Tampa,Florida....
  • Options
    smanchac1 wrote:

Vancouver and Hartford were epic. Seattle was good, but personally Vancouver was much more fun for me!

I was up til 5am est waiting to see the breakdown of the show, and Ed congratulating you and Kelly! Can't wait to hear about your trip when you get home :)
    Enjoy Seattle!!! :mrgreen:

1992-8-18 Lollapalooza, Raleigh NC
    2012-11-24 Jacksonville FL, Eddie solo tour
    2012-11-25 Jacksonville FL, Eddie solo tour
    2013-10-27 Baltimore MD
    2013-10-29 Charlottesville VA
    2013-10-30 Charlotte NC
    2013=making up for lost time

[/img]
  • Options
    Let's just roll with the entire East coast! I hope they come back this was SOON.

1992-8-18 Lollapalooza, Raleigh NC
    2012-11-24 Jacksonville FL, Eddie solo tour
    2012-11-25 Jacksonville FL, Eddie solo tour
    2013-10-27 Baltimore MD
    2013-10-29 Charlottesville VA
    2013-10-30 Charlotte NC
    2013=making up for lost time

[/img]
  • Options
    jvoorheesjvoorhees Langley, BC Posts: 199
    Yeah the Seattle show was a bit of a let down with the setlist... the crowd I thought at first was awesome! Very loud and then it just seem to die :( The Seattle show was super hyped up imo.... I went to both this show and Vancouver and gotta say I enjoyed the Vancouver one more... still was awesome to see em in Seattle and still thought it was a good concert... I mean its PJ :D
    05/11/2000, Vancouver, BC
    05/30/2003, Vancouver, BC
    09/01/2005, The Gorge
    09/02/2005, Vancouver, BC
    07/22/2006, The Gorge
    09/25/2009, Vancouver, BC
    09/25/2011, Vancouver, BC
    12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC
    12/06/2013, Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    I think Pearl Jam is walking a fine line right now playing a LOT of the hits and really long shows at the same time. In the end they "satisfy" (I use this term very loosely because they are amazing, after all) no one. For those of us who've seen them a ton, the opening chords for certain songs can be a bit of a letdown (God I'm trying not to sound spoiled because I swear to you I LOVED last night's show) simply because we've seen that song at 95% of the shows we've been to. Replacing a Betterman with an Insignificance from time to time would go a long way.

But by playing 3 1/2 hours you're going to wear down the casual fan who you've tried to buoy with your 10 most popular songs. I've seen the casual fans lose interest right around mid 1st encore at all four shows I've been to.

Listen, last night was incredible. Best Garden I've seen, and they played In My Tree straight. Let Me Sleep was so unexpected, obviously. However, I think that some of the energy that leaves the room can be attributed to the band trying to please everybody. I'm not saying they need to play insanely rare songs at every show. Just blend in some songs a little more and don't play 90% of the hits at every show. This band has shown that they can pull out anything at just about any time, so why not play these more:

Insignificance
    Grievance
    Save You
    Love Boat Captain
    Who You Are
    Red Mosquito
    Around the Bend
    Severed Hand
    Marker In the Sand
    Parachutes
    Get Right
    You Are
    My Father's Son (I'm just bitter I didn't see this :) )
    Amongst the Waves
    Immortality
    Satan's Bed
    WMA

For example. I know some people will call me spoiled and flame this. That's slightly misplaced. I'm not saying I don't love their shows, because I do. I'm saying that there is a HUGE group of fans who've been there for 20+ years who love their whole catalog and the band should have more confidence in the music they've made. These songs I listed above are good enough that even the casual fan would enjoy them live.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    2nd encores in general seem a bit stale and predictable across the board. Im not really sure how to "fix" it... or even if I would want to "fix" it.
  • Options
    jvoorheesjvoorhees Langley, BC Posts: 199
    smanchac1 wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more!!!!! I wasn't at Hartford but agree with you on the Vancouver show!!! :D
    05/11/2000, Vancouver, BC
    05/30/2003, Vancouver, BC
    09/01/2005, The Gorge
    09/02/2005, Vancouver, BC
    07/22/2006, The Gorge
    09/25/2009, Vancouver, BC
    09/25/2011, Vancouver, BC
    12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC
    12/06/2013, Seattle, WA