Where do YOU buy music?

BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
edited December 2013 in The Porch
Hi - I hope this isn't too off-topic.

I've grown frustrated with the idea of buying and downloading music via iTunes, etc., for a variety of reasons. I want to buy an album and have it in my hands. I tried to buy a CD through Amazon.com and ended up having to update my credit card info about 6 or 8 times before the order was finally cancelled (I'd enter the correct info but it wouldn't save it).

I would buy music through the PJ site, but have been waiting since September 5 for an order, so I'm a little gun-shy about ordering anything through this site.

Where do you buy your music?

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    What are your problems with iTunes? I find it the easiest way to manage my music.
  • mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    BHealy wrote:
    Hi - I hope this isn't too off-topic.

I've grown frustrated with the idea of buying and downloading music via iTunes, etc., for a variety of reasons. I want to buy an album and have it in my hands. I tried to buy a CD through Amazon.com and ended up having to update my credit card info about 6 or 8 times before the order was finally cancelled (I'd enter the correct info but it wouldn't save it).

I would buy music through the PJ site, but have been waiting since September 5 for an order, so I'm a little gun-shy about ordering anything through this site.

Where do you buy your music?

Thanks!

Newbury Comics, used record stores, and recently "sound stage direct", who has been fantastic with fast shipping. It hard to buy music now, for sure.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    LloydXmas wrote:
    What are your problems with iTunes? I find it the easiest way to manage my music.

Well, for one thing, I need cds to play in my truck, so when I try to burn a cd that I've purchased from iTunes, it doesn't burn in order (I've tried numerous fixes for this online). Also getting music into it seems to be a pain. I'd just rather buy a cd and have it in my hands.
  • mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    BHealy wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

Well, for one thing, I need cds to play in my truck, so when I try to burn a cd that I've purchased from iTunes, it doesn't burn in order (I've tried numerous fixes for this online). Also getting music into it seems to be a pain. I'd just rather buy a cd and have it in my hands.

Totally. iTunes is easy if you only really listen to mp3s on your iPod, it's great for that, perhaps it's the best at what it does. But if you like a tangible product (I sure do) than it's really not useful at all.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • I get PJ and related stuff through here, CDs through amazon and vinyl through various on-line places.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Been a huge fan of Soundstage Direct for years...& also local record stores.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • I like amazon the best.

They have a lot of Autorip albums where you purchase a physical cd, but you get the mp3.as well. Best of both worlds.
    Hey, hey. My, my. Rock and roll can never die.

"Why go home? I am home! And I gotta tell you, it feels FUCKIN GREAT to be here. You may experience this yourself but, if you were born in Chicago, you're always from Chicago. And even if you don't live in Chicago, Chicago will always live in you."-Ed
  • pearljam.com - obvious
    amazon.com - older, hard to find album since there are no good record stores near me anymore. My favorite one went out of business a couple years ago so it has been tough to find a new one. We have Zia records here but the employees suck. I am tired of going in there and asking about Pearl Jam related stuff and just getting the "they're still together" reaction. Fucking hipsters.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,073
    For CD's I usually buy them from Amazon.

For Vinyl I split my purchases between Amazon, a few other online sites, and my local record store called Ditch Records.

My local record store usually charges a bit more. CDs are always cheaper on amazon. If a record is only a buck or two more expensive in the record store I'll buy it there. If it's closer to five I'll buy it online and save the money.
    I still can't figure out why Amazon was so difficult! It sounds like many of you have had good experiences. I contacted the customer service guy via chat (once I finally figured how to do that - :D ) and he asked for the correct cc info, which I gave him (again) and he said he couldn't put the charge through again. My card works fine with other online retailers.

Well now I'm just whining....
  • BHealy wrote:
    I still can't figure out why Amazon was so difficult! It sounds like many of you have had good experiences. I contacted the customer service guy via chat (once I finally figured how to do that - :D ) and he asked for the correct cc info, which I gave him (again) and he said he couldn't put the charge through again. My card works fine with other online retailers.

I work in credit card fraud and there are a couple of things that could be going on. Some merchant run address matching for online purchases and some are more sensitive than others. For example:
    if your address has an apartment number in it
    123 Main St
    Apt 1
    Wherever, NY 00000

...but your credit card company has it listed with the Apt # on top instead of under, some online merchants will decline the charge due to address mismatch, other won't. All merchant discretion.
    That would be the most common reason.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    I only buy from Newbury Comics and Soundstage Direct, 10C for the PJ stuff - and an occasional record from a local vinyl show if something catches my eye.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

BHealy wrote:

I work in credit card fraud and there are a couple of things that could be going on. Some merchant run address matching for online purchases and some are more sensitive than others. For example:
    if your address has an apartment number in it
    123 Main St
    Apt 1
    Wherever, NY 00000

...but your credit card company has it listed with the Apt # on top instead of under, some online merchants will decline the charge due to address mismatch, other won't. All merchant discretion.
    That would be the most common reason.

It could be that they recently changed our street address (about 2 years ago) and our zip code (about 4 months ago). Maybe? Thanks for your help,
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,312
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    amazon.com, for free shipping and autorip it is hard to justify paying more at local shops for new releases.
    Also, hot topic often has very limited exclusive variants
    Reckless records out of Chicago
    Amoeba.com
    believe it or not, bestbuy.com
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I buy from Amazon and Amazon Marketplace sellers a lot.
    I sometimes buy music from the merch table at club shows.
    I shop at good indie stores when I am in their towns. Examples would be Easy Street in Seattle, Waterloo in Austin, Harvest Records in Asheville NC, Aquarius Records in San Francisco, various stores in NYC.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • I still like to pop in a record store every couple weeks, even if I don't buy anything it's always something I enjoy doing. We have some great store here in Toronto, but even when i visit smaller towns and cities I like to see what kind of stores they have. I really don't get anything out of buying music on iTunes, just don't find any fun in that.
    Check out your local record shops!
    I just found out there's a small local shop in Flagstaff, AZ- I'm going to go check it out today. Its called Rockitman Records.
  • tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    I buy CD's through Amazon. I get vinyl through a used record store. I never buy new albums on vinyl. I get older music. That's usually 60's, 70's and '80s.

I tend to stay away from digital for fear of losing it all. I know it's in the cloud but I still get worried. This way I always have the physical copy in some form.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
    tcadd94 wrote:
    I tend to stay away from digital for fear of losing it all. I know it's in the cloud but I still get worried. This way I always have the physical copy in some form.

I'm totally with you on this one- which is why I get so annoyed when I can't burn the cds in the correct order in iTunes. Although I had lots of cd music stolen in college- Vs., Vitalogy, and Ten, among others....
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Record store, not through here, not meaning to offend Tenc but i prefer less hassle.
  • This is where I'd go if I were in Flagstaff

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/rock-it- ... T8GmvbETIQ
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    This is where I'd go if I were in Flagstaff

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/rock-it- ... T8GmvbETIQ

On my way there right now mookeywrench!
    Got Ten and Temple of the Dog (mint) for $7 bucks!
  • Gozzo64Gozzo64 Posts: 120
    I try to buy direct from artists at their shows, if not I try to find it at the local independent record store, or direct from record labels, artist websites and if all else fails, HMV.
    Gozzo
    Montreal '98
    Toronto '00
    Buffalo Toronto '03
    Kitchener London Hamilton Toronto '05
    Late Show NYC Toronto x2 Cleveland Pittsburgh Mountain View '06
    Hartford Mansfield '08
    Toronto Philadelphia x3 '09
    Cleveland Buffalo Mountain View x2 '10
    East Troy x2 Toronto x2 Ottawa Hamilton '11
    London Buffalo '13
  • I like amazon the best.

They have a lot of Autorip albums where you purchase a physical cd, but you get the mp3.as well. Best of both worlds.

This is what I do. I'll buy new releases I want on vinyl and usually it comes with a download code or Autorip via Amazon. I still want physical copies too but this saves from having to rip CD's. Heck, most computers don't even have optical drives any more.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    Soundstage Direct, eBay yeah I know but I have found good vinyl on there for decent prices I just won Voices Of Justice The West Memphis Three benefit for 16.00 including shipping, Sub Pop records, the store here, Feedbands but that is a monthly subscription, my local F.Y.E sells vinyl it's hit and miss but I have got some good picks from there last but no least in anyway local independent stores in Columbus, Athens and Cincinnati Ohio.

Moving to the Dayton area so I have to find a shop there.
    My butt itches!
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,781
    Wherever the particular album (CD) I am looking for is $10 or less
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• I'm all about Spotify these days.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• If i cant find something at my local stores, I usually either order from artists' website, amazon, or gohastings.com
    We were but stones your light made us stars