Options

The Importance Of you Attend A Concert With

johnmc1976johnmc1976 Florida Posts: 315
edited November 2013 in The Porch
Very important on who you attend a concert with. If you attend that is not quite the the PJ nut that you are(I am) you could miss out and have a less intense experience. Very touchy subject though because we want to include our significant others. Lets face it though do they really get why we have to be there(venue) hours prior and stay to the last note. I once missed my first chance at seein YB because the people I WAS WITH WERE READY TO GO AND JUST DIDNT Get It.

Anyonce else agree or disagree? Share your stories.
00' Noblesville, IN 03' Lexington, KY, 13' Wrigley
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SarahjkjkSarahjkjk Posts: 8
    edited November 2013
    You need to choose the people you go with very carefully. I'm from Toronto and decided to make the trip to Pittsburgh with my husband. It was a bad idea :nono:
    He is not a fan and I spend the majority of the time getting mad at him . hahaha He was kind enough to go with me but next time we both agreed to let my brother go with me. It really sucks my husband and I have different tastes in music but I am trying to convert him slowly. :P
    Post edited by Sarahjkjk on
  • Options
    dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,189
    For the life of me I can't figure out which side of the story your on?
  • Options
    Re: The Importance Of you Attend A Concert With

Unread postby dmbolp » 26 Nov 2013 10:48

what do mean by side? no sides here . just honest truth. I think you should attend with someone who feels the same way you di in order to have best experience, but that's no always easy to do.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    To me, it's more what type of section you are in. If you are in a crappy section where most people are sitting down (like I was in LA on Sunday night), it can take away from the experience. If you're in a 10c section, it's definitely much more enjoyable.
  • Options
    johnmc1976 wrote:

Unread postby dmbolp » 26 Nov 2013 10:48

what do mean by side? no sides here . just honest truth. I think you should attend with someone who feels the same way you di in order to have best experience, but that's no always easy to do.
    Sarahjkjk wrote:
    You need to choose the people you go with very carefully. I'm from Toronto and decided to make the trip to Pittsburgh with my husband. It was a bad idea :nono:
    He is not a fan and I spend the majority of the time getting mad at him . hahaha He really isn't one to dance around or sing to songs out loud so I shouldn't have been so hard on him. He was kind enough to go with me but next time we both agreed to let my brother go with me. It really sucks my husband and I have different tastes in music but I am trying to convert him slowly. :P

Could not disagree more. I took 6 newbies of which only 1 was what I could call a die hard like me (my 14 yo son :lol: ). I also went to 1 by myself and a couple with a 10C ticket buddy. All were tremendous. I think for people that worry about what other people are doing your point might be important (why would you be mad at him for not dancing and singing?).

One of the best experiences I had was PJ turning my 23 yo nephew from a casual to a big fan of theirs at Brooklyn 1. (I could go on, but that's an example of someone who wasn't as high on PJ as I was going in. As a matter of fact, he hadn't even heard of Chloe/Crown until I was bringing him up to speed on the history of the band earlier in the day - it's as if they planned it.)

If your point is you shouldn't bring someone who is just simply not going to enjoy themselves and have a closed mind about an experience - well, doesn't that pretty much go for anything in life? If your husband hates Italian food and you know he's going to grouse about the olive oil all night would you bring him to an Italian restaurant?

So, bottom line - it is just you. (I think that was the question you were really asking). :lol:

EDIT: I realize I was referring to 2 different posters in my rant.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    I wasn't mad is wasn't singing or dancing. I knew that would happen. My problem was he wasn't trying to relax and stop complaining. I wanted him to have a good time but since he didn't it ruined my experience.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Who you attend the concert with does change the dynamics of it, but doesn't take it to a point where I would rather stay home..

You atend with a big group: You need to take everyone's interests into account or split up. (Festival setting).
    You atend with a diehard: You are both trying to be at the rail and can go nuts during Blood. You can guess the song within the first 3 guitar notes (me) and the other diehard (my dad) is impressed/jealous. :lol:
    You attend with a casual fan: They don't 'get' it, but they understand that you get it which brings up there enjoyment.
    You attend by yourself: Make some new aquaintances/friends. Enjoy the experience with the crowd.

I have experienced all 4 scenarios and I will always choose anyone of them as opposed to not going. :mrgreen:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    Good stuff here everybody. Good points. I guess the way I have personally felt is that it would have been a greater experience if I had gone with somebody who loves PJ like I do. To have that personal life long feeling already imbedded would be awesome, but I totally agree an would never had rather stayed at home.
  • Options
    I have a prescreening process for friends I bring to concerts and music festivals with me. If they can't handle it, they're not going with me.
    Mine is mine and yours won't take it's place
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    very important...it could kill your groove.

PJ has such a ton of songs so IMO it's hard for a casual fan to milk the show for all it's worth...think back to your first couple of shows' p*ss break songs and compare them to now (that's excluding if you have GA then there are no p*ss breaks!!)
    That being said, if you love rock and roll, live PJ should destroy your brain...

Let the unconverted stay that way.

I don't like sharing ;)
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    BenBracey wrote:
    I have a prescreening process for friends I bring to concerts and music festivals with me. If they can't handle it, they're not going with me.

Care to explain your process? I'm looking to see about taking some newbies to Firefly this year and don't know if they could handle it. :lol:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I've had concert buddies, some of them moved so it's hard to get together. Last few tours I rotated some friends. I have a buddy now who is good for one show a tour.

No way I take my wife. She went to a local show with me in '03 and was kind enough to agree on a Canadian vacation in '05. Love her to death but she's out for concerts.

For Baltimore I picked a person from the board to use my extra. It's a ton more fun to go to a show with a fellow PJ nutcase :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 818
    It is important.

I think I'm going to give my wife a break from coming with me. She just likes to get out of the house I think, where I like to f'in rock hard.

I think that you are almost better off going alone (or with the lucky soul you decide to sell your other ticket too), then bringing a Ten/Vs. fan even if they are your spouse, family, or good friend.

It is not difficult at all (via this great forum) to find plenty of cool people who have the same viewpoint, and just meet up with a bunch of solo show goers. It's a great way to meet new people with common interests, who could very well end up being lifelong friends (it's good to have friends all over the country too).

I promised my two daughters they are next in line (ages 7 and 9 currently), but from now on, I'll be very careful with who I share the experience with, as the OP is right...it does effect your show if you let it...though I usually just do my own thing (dance, get a good close spot) regardless of who my 'date' is. I won't let someone else bring me down...and if they wanted to leave before the end, I'd have a laugh and go back to my business. :)
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    I'm going to the Portland show with my wife (who is not a die-hard fan, but she likes them a little). I just decided when we got the tix that I'm going to enjoy it no matter what and not let her decide whether I enjoy it or not. Enjoying something sometimes comes down to choosing to do so.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    My daughter is my ticket buddy, but I have taken my husband a few times when she's been unavailable. He is a fan, but not obsessed like I am. After his first time on the floor, he was telling people that it was like being in the middle of a cult. Exactly!!!!

My daughter & I both won the lottery for Dallas & OKC, so she took her boyfriend and I took my husband. My husband decided that he didn't want to do the back-to-back concerts, so I gave his Dallas ticket to my ex-sister-in-law, who lives in Texas. Both she & by daughter's boyfriend are fans but concert virgins. I couldn't talk my daughter into sitting with me instead of her boyfriend for either show (imagine that -- she chose the boyfriend over Mom!). It didn't detract from my enjoyment of either concert, but I honestly would have had a better time sharing those special moments (Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns!!!) with my daughter, who is as obsessed as I am.
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • Options
    I find I don't enjoy myself as much if I bring a non die hard such as my wife. I'm too distracted worrying about whether or not she's enjoying herself. And for that to happen, I need Better Man, Daughter, Last Kiss, Wishlist, Jeremy, Elderly Woman... not exactly my kind of set list. :roll:

I have a much better time when it's a fellow die hard like my buddy Eric, who flies up from Florida to CT for every tour. His mom tells everyone that she loves when PJ is touring the Northeast cause she know her son's coming to visit.
  • Options
    Agreed. I originally only got tickets to OKC because that's the only show my husband could go to. Well, that was dumb because Dallas was only 3 hours away. I made the decision to drive to Dallas by myself and had the time of my life. Dallas was spent making new Pearl Jam friends who are as nutty as I am!!! I spent all night dancing with my ticket buddy and having a blast!

OKC was me looking after my husband and hoping he had a good time.

Lesson learned. Honey, I love you...but you have to stay home.
  • Options
    This is why I fly solo.

Dragged my husband to the first 4 shows I ever went to, but he doesn't understand why I didn't stop there. Shows 5-12 have all been solo - I either meet up with a PJ bud who is also at the show or make a new friend. Hoping that my seat mates in Seattle are as into the show as I am, but if not, fuckem.
    Pepsi Center - Apr 1 '03, Jul 2-3 '06 | Grant Park - Aug 05 '07 | E Center - Sep 28 '09 | Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27 '09 | Sprint Center May 3 '10 | Scottrade Center May 4 '10 | Alpine Valley - Sep 3-4, '11 | Wrigley Field - July 19, '13 | Pepsi Center Oct 22, '14
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    First off, I enjoy an OP who seems drunk. Thank you for that.

Now to your point, I feel if you're going to bring someone into the circle, you have to choose carefully to avoid a buzzkill. I've never brought a girlfriend but I have brought friends who weren't really fans. This was the case for the Brooklyn shows and nothing made me happier than last week when I received an email from him saying that his wife finally put her foot down and made him turn off PJ radio. Apparently it was the only music he'd been playing since the show - every day, all day. He said "after seeing them live, I don't feel like I need to listen to any other band...ever. And she's going to have to accept that." Haha, I couldn't be more proud.
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 818
    october22 wrote:

Now to your point, I feel if you're going to bring someone into the circle, you have to choose carefully to avoid a buzzkill. I've never brought a girlfriend but I have brought friends who weren't really fans. This was the case for the Brooklyn shows and nothing made me happier than last week when I received an email from him saying that his wife finally put her foot down and made him turn off PJ radio. Apparently it was the only music he'd been playing since the show - every day, all day. He said "after seeing them live, I don't feel like I need to listen to any other band...ever. And she's going to have to accept that." Haha, I couldn't be more proud.

:lol::lol::lol: (for your first sentence)

:clap::clap::clap: (for your successfull casual to super fan conversion)
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options

Unread postby october22 » 26 Nov 2013 14:38

not drunk, but buzzing more than I realized. lol .

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    I find it so important that I am giving my GA ticket to a complete stranger who is a huge fan and ready to rock the pit rather than invite my best friend who I had to ask to stand up at the NIN show. Likely to be the best decision I ever made! :lol: Honestly, I'd rather go alone than go with someone who isn't stoked or at least the type who is excitable enough to get into it once they're there.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I find it so important that I am giving my GA ticket to a complete stranger who is a huge fan and ready to rock the pit rather than invite my best friend who I had to ask to stand up at the NIN show. Likely to be the best decision I ever made! :lol: Honestly, I'd rather go alone than go with someone who isn't stoked or at least the type who is excitable enough to get into it once they're there.

I'd go to a show with you
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I'd go to a show with you
    I'd go to a show with you, too. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    My girlfriend of 6 years and I went to the Charlotte show. (Thanks 10C!) She listened to their music, mostly because I play it all the time. She liked Lightning Bolt CD and seemed excited to go. We had a great time at a great show. My fifth show, her first. Ever since then, she is following the band on twitter, singing the new stuff and wanting to hear the earlier stuff, buying shirts, etc. She's been converted......total transformation! It's an awesome thing!
  • Options
    I would go to a show with any of you .................

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    TheChelseaSchultzTheChelseaSchultz Ottawa, Ontario Posts: 37
    I need to speak on behalf of the converted!

It's all about WHO you choose to bring... I am a music nut. My very good friend, a die hard .. 25 shows in, etc. insisted on bringing me to the Montreal 2011 show.

I was a casual fan, but that was it. She brought me to the pre-party, I met some fantastic people, was welcomed into "your world" with open arms. We won the lottery and were sitting 9th row, dead centre. Before the first encore I was done. There was no turning back.

One of the amazing people I met at the pre-party insisted I had to go to my home town show, but I was broke. He gave me his pair for the price of one. So, I did the Ottawa show and again fell more in love! Since then I joined the 10c and did London, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn and am headed out west next week to do Vancouver!

I am ETERNALLY grateful to my friend for recognizing the jammer in me. I am hooked and couldn't be happier!

ALL THAT TO SAY.... Choose wisely, but definitely bring newbies!!! They will never forget who converted them :)
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    To me, it's more what type of section you are in. If you are in a crappy section where most people are sitting down (like I was in LA on Sunday night), it can take away from the experience. If you're in a 10c section, it's definitely much more enjoyable.

Agree! I have posted before but to me, there are 3 major things that affect the time I have at a show. The most important to me is:

a) location in the venue. If I am in the rafters, it doesn't matter how crazy the fans are, I will feel like I am not connecting with the band and am just watching them at home on a screen or listening to a bootleg.

Next for me is:

b) the setlist. A great set can help a ton! Songs I am not fond of or a poor flow can hinder the experience.

Third in terms of importance for me:

c) the people around you. If they are all rockin' out, then it helps. It help to be around fellow 10Clubbers and avid/enthusiastic fans. If everyone is sitting, it takes away from the experience. This includes who you decide to take with you!

To a lesser extent, another factor is:

d) the time I have leading up to/after the show. Is it a road trip? Is there a pre-party? Did I meet fellow fans etc. That can make the experience fun too.

So some combination of all of those factors are what determine where a show ranks for me . . . .
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    Who
  • Options
    What seems to be a common theme here is women having issues with their husbands at PJ shows whereas the men leave their wives that are not fans at home.

So, who has the common sense?

Or, so I don't get a shoe thrown at me - who is more closed minded? Flip side of the same coin.

Perhaps if you didn't throw your panties up at Eddie, your husbands would have less of an issue.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.