*** San Diego Fanviews Here 11/21/13 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited January 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Viejas Arena
San Diego, CA
Nov. 21, 2013
Set List

01. Pendulum-from the new album “Lightning Bolt”
02. Nothingman
03. Sometimes
04. Why Go
05. Lightning Bolt-from the new album “Lightning Bolt”
06. Mind Your Manners from the new album “Lightning Bolt”
07. All Night

(“A lot of people say this and mean it but it is special for us ‘cuz I am a semi local boy so it is great to be here in San Diego. Traffic still sucks. It was a perfect Seattle day.” Ed compliments the venue and notes that his brother Chris is a spot operator tonight. “This is for Chris.”)

08. Given To Fly

(Stone starts to play “In Hiding” and Ed stops him saying, “I was gonna try and sneak another one in before that because it is appropriate for here.”)

09. Tremor Christ
10. In Hiding

(Ed asks if Rob and his wife from Manilla are at the show tonight and plan on going to LA as well. Ed asks them to come up to the stage and hang out on the side because he wants to meet and talk to them. Ed then talks about an out of body experience he had in New Orleans.)

11. Setting Forth
12. Swallowed Whole-from the new album “Lightning Bolt”

(We would like to dedicate this one to all the local heroes form Camp Pendleton and Point Loma. It is called Army Reserve.”

13. Army Reserve
14. Even Flow

(“A lot of our folks are here tonight, Matt’s Mother sister and brother, All three of my brothers are here. Mike McCready’s pop is here with his buddy. It is almost like they are showing off for their parents but they are like that every night. In fact they may have been holding back so they didn’t freak their folks out. Mike’s dad thinking, ‘my sons a monster!!” “This is about coming from a town much like San Diego. Here you have got the planes. Here you got the people that fly the planes. Up in Seattle, that’s where we build them. It’s called “Insignificance.”)

15. Insignificance

(“Before we do the next song can I ask if our new friend Rob is in the house? C’mon up here. Someone turned me on to this really nice story about Rob who has been listening to us for about 21 years. We played (Manilla) in ’95 and you missed that. We have great memories of playing there. We are gonna see you in LA but we are going to give you a check to take back so you can help out. We thought we could save the postage and give you 100% of the money...Now I hear you had a child and you named him?
Rob says, “Eddie, we named him Eddie.” Ed says, “Well Cameron is a much better name but anyway.” Ed gives Rob a bottle of wine.)

16. Sirens (with sing along outro)-from the new album “Lightning Bolt”
17. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)

(“I wanna dedicate this to the last man standing..Lou’s Records, where I bought all my records, there still going, Lou’s Records.”

18. Spin The Black Circle-(during song Ed tells some people to settle down. They must have calmed down because he then says “you got it. that’s good.”)
19. Light Years (“this is for Ryan, Kelly and Lacey...you are all here)
20. Porch (during the song Mike beats one of the globes with his guitar (a 1959 Les Paul TV Junior for you collectors out there) until chunks of the globe break off.)

Encore Break 1

(Ed says he sees a lot of the same faces from San Diego from back when he lived here. Someone in the front say they are from Tijuana which cause Ed to ask if “Iguana’s” is still there? It is. “scary place. great place to see a show but scary.” He reminisces about San Diego. He ends by noting that he wrote this song here and about having to wear a tie.

21. Sleight Of Hand
22. Speed Of Sound
(Ed talks about their friend and former crew member who now works for Neil Young and managed to live and work in San Diego. Ed says this next song if for all the great couples)
23. Just Breathe
(“We have played every song from the new album except this one. I am just letting you know that we are going to experiment and try this one out......I don’t know how to start it..”)
24. Sleeping By Myself--from the new album “Lightning Bolt”
(when the song is over Ed plays the Ukulele trying to remember how to play the song. “See now I remember it...”) He plays for a bit and says, “I just had to figure it out. If this wasn’t my favorite one (ukulele) I would smash it for effect.
This next song is about responsible drug use which I think you can do.”)
25. Severed Hand
26. In My Tree
27. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 2
(“I hear the surf is gonna be shitty anyway so we may as well stay. I mean we are on a college campus and I would like advantage of that..” Ed points his mom out in the audience and asks the audience to pass a wine bottle over to her. Ed also wants to mention a friend of Stone’s named Camille and another friend of theirs Gloria Steinem. “This is for all the great woman here. It is called “Leaving Here.”

28. Leaving Here-(Holland, Holland, Dozier)
29. Black
30. Do The Evolution
31. Alive
32. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)

(Ed jokes about playing the next show’s set list so they can keep playing. He then says he wants to be serious and he tells Rob (from the Philippines) that they want to give him a check in his families name. “it is couple of bucks for each person here so it is about $25,000 it isn’t much..” Ed goes on to talk about other ways people can donate and help and talks about some locals who are putting on a food drive. Lastly he mentions Mike’s father being here along with his friend. They were shot down in the Gulf of Tonkin and they want to play this song for them.

33. Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner
34. Rockin’ In The Free World w/ Ray Cameron on guitar-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    NO WORDS, JUST

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

THANK YOU SEA
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,622
    Three hours and twenty four minutes...that had to be experienced. It cannot be explained.
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    edited November 2013
    Still trying to get out of the parking lot but the only word to describe that is INSANE. I've seen Springsteen over 200 times and that was like an E Street Band show. Never thought I'd say that about anyone. Ed clearly took something away from his time with Bruce last year.

The first encore was positively amazing. I thought Sleeping By Myself was great and the combo of Sleight of Hand and Speed of Sound was out of this world. The show was definitely worth the price of admission. :)
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    What an amazing show.

Insignificance
    Tremor Christ
    Sleight of hand
    Light years

The families being there made it special for the band.... Ed's mom moment was awesome

Million thanks to the band
  • First time in GA. What a fucking show.

During the end of Porch Eddie was on the rail quite literally in my face. Cant beleive that happened.

Setlist was amazing. Cheers to everyone in the GA line and the pit.

I touched EV guys. Idk what else to say.
  • CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    What a set!! And How awesome it must have been for the Phillipine guy!

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Screw you guys, that looks too cool. Congrats to all that were there. :D
  • meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,554
    Unreal. First row behind the stage. The band interacted with us all night. What a set list.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • FANnCAFANnCA Posts: 107
    55 min past curfew :-) EPIC show so fun to see the guys having as much fun as us in the crowd where
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Another great one! :D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • ianh42ianh42 Posts: 193
    Tonight's show was awesome. It had been since 2009 but they made it worth the wait. I can't believe they played over three hours and mixed up the set list so well. It was so much different than I'd imagined it being but was still soooo good. Ed could've played three more hours he was still bouncing around and I counted three jumps to cap off song finishes. This is the first of three shows for us and I'm hoping LA brings it for both nights.
    Living in a SOLAT...SJ 11/95 SD 11/95 BB 10/96 Oak 11/97 SD 7/98 LA 7/98 BB 10/99 LV 10/00 San B 10/00 Irvine 6/03 SD 6/03 LA 7/06 Fonda 7/06 SB 7/06 DC 6/08 LA 9-30 10-6 & 10-7-09 SD 10-9-09 SD 11/13 LA1&2 11/13 MIL 10/14 OHANA FEST 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021 (EV, PJ and PJ Encore 1) SD 5/3/22 LA 5/6/22 LA 5/7/22 Fresno 5/16/22

ISO Tickets for Los Angeles both nights...I got shut out of the 2024 Ten Club tickets :-(
  • I think I'm too stunned to form words. Amazing vibe from the band. The set that never ends. McCready out of his skull, unleashing the monster for his dad. Ed sang Porch on the rail literally above my head. :fp:

73ac9a47-6d09-42ca-bd1a-86525b78e6f7.jpg
    san diego 5.20.95 (watt+ed) . san diego 11.7.95 . oakland 11.18.97 (stones) . san diego 7.10.98 . las vegas 7.11.98 . san diego 10.25.00 . san diego 6.5.03 . seattle 4.9.04 (impact awards) . san diego 7.7.06 . san diego 4.15.08 (ed) . san diego 4.16.08 (ed) . honolulu 7.1.09 (ed) . honolulu 7.2.09 (ed) . los angeles 10.1.09 . san diego 10.9.09 . san diego 7.5.11 (ed) . seattle 7.16.11 (ed)
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Well," said Pooh, "what I like best...," and then he had to stop and think. Because although eating honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.

If you are hoping I'm going to use words like "epic" or I'm going to rank this concert, I'm sorry to disappoint you.
    There will be time for that in the days/weeks/years to come.

What I will share is a sense of pride, love and genuine enjoyment of what I experienced this evening in San Diego. To be a wee bit part of the Ryan Light Years campaign and have that played this evening was emotional in a much different way then I've experienced. The song was performed beautifully, the emotion on the floor, behind the stage with the folks who had the sign, was palpable. It was beautiful, I am so proud of the community, go grateful to the band, ughh...that was the first set of tears...when Mike was playing to his Dad, I was done then also...then little Cameron strapped on a guitar and the look of pride and excitement on Matt's face and how the whole band was trying to make the poor kid feel comfortable, not only was that beautiful, it was so genuine.

These guys love each other. It showed...

These guys love us, the fans. It showed...

These guys obviously have been working hard, they sound as good if not better than any of the previous 20+ shows and years I've seen them.

I walked away so grateful, and overwhelmed with gratitude. What a special band we love. How important they are to the soundtrack of my life. And they keep solidifying that year after year.

Tremor Christ, Lightning Bolt, Insignificance, Light Years and literally every song from Severed Hand thru Encore 2's last notes of Rockin... were STANDOUT awesome. Can't wait for the boot.

What a magnificent night. Great people on the floor (5 deep in front of Mike), great poster, kick ass set, home safely...

Thanks Pearl Jam. The waiting drove me mad, and you exceeded my expectations. I don't know what its called, but the wonderful moment of reflection after is almost better then the actual show. Was it a dream? Awesome night. Can't wait to read some other fanviews.
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24
  • My first GA show and it was a marathon! Big thanks to NYCslacker for hooking me up with her extra, I flew into SD this morning with no ticket and the PJ gods blessed me big time. I got in the gate around 7:20ish and was about 6/7 deep middle/stones side.

The crowd had great energy and the band fed off it. Ed was in a really good mood laughing and joking and jumping around a lot like a little kid.

Highlights for me:

Pendulum
    Sometimes
    Tremor Christ
    In Hiding
    Army Reserve
    Insignificance
    Sleight Of Hand
    Light Years
    IN MY FUCKING TREE

I met so many great people today and we exchanged numbers and I will see them all in LA. PJ fans are absolute best. A friend helped me find a ticket and I passed on the favor to a guy I was hanging out with who I met before the show, who I helped upgrade his ticket. He really wanted to hear Tremor Christ and I really wanted In my Tree and we both got an early Christmas present.

What a night.
  • EPIC!
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    Holy shit this tour gets better and better.
  • En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,622
    EPIC!

Your signs got a mention on page 1!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • chalonchalon Posts: 106
    The show was great, and man was I tired at the end of it. No idea how they can keep the energy up for nearly three and a half hours.

I went going in hoping for some tracks off Lost Dogs and No Code, and man did they deliver. They played some of my favorite songs tonight, so I was really happy.

I was pretty stressed driving into the show because the traffic around the arena is terrible, there basically is one choke point that everyone has to drive through to get to the arena parking. But it worked out because they didn't go on until 8:30. Then on the way out, someone's car had fishtailed and blocked the on-ramp. I hope whoever was in that car is okay (they only had a police car and a wrecker, so I think they were probably fine).
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    NO WORDS, JUST

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

THANK YOU SEA

:shock: Wow! Mind Blown! Another boot needed! No highlights for me on this one - the whole set list is a highlight! Damn! :o
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    They skip ALL OR NONE???? :shock: :o :shock: :o
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Nothingman
    Light years
    In my tree

Band was on fire. Onstage at 830pm and played until damn near midnight.
    I saw Phoenix and SD, now I'm jealous I'm not going to LA you lucky bastards.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Wow!! Are they the new e street band in regard to how long each show is?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    Left my apartment in Los Angeles at 8:30am, back in L.A. by 3:30am. I should be falling over from exhaustion but instead I'm completely charged. Great concert. Felt like the band invited us into their own living room tonight to have fun and play around for 3.5 hours. Perhaps because the band had so many family members in attendance the entire show felt relaxed, familiar, warm... Like coming home. And they just kept playing! Amazing show..
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Best set list of the tour so far wowzers!
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    Wow!! Are they the new e street band in regard to how long each show is?!
    Bruce inducted the band into the Ministry of Rock and Roll when Ed joined him on stage at Wrigley in 2012. This must have been something he took away from that experience because both Brooklyn 2 and Hartford shows felt like an E Street show.

This show will have to be my bootleg coupon show. Incredible set! Sleight of Hand, Light Years, In Hiding. That's a winner in my book.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Looks like it was a special show!
  • I cried when I read that they played Light Years. Best band on the face of the earth and beyond!!!!! :D:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • PinoyPJPinoyPJ Los Angeles, CA Posts: 173
    awesome show! thanks pearl jam for donating a huge check to aid Philippines!!!!
    ride amongst the waves...
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    what a show, guys. i always second and third guess myself when i decide to travel to see this band (mainly for financial reasons), but shows like this one are what keep the desire alive.

eddie singing 'alive' looking directly to his mother was a sight to behold.
  • First things first...Thanks Pearl Jam!!!

I don't know how this band does it. They started out of the gates strong and finished stronger. The energy was out of this world and the band really fed off it. Mike was absolutely on fire and can out of know where during Alive and was laying in the crowd playing a solo. There was a guy next to me who was using binoculars during the show and we were standing 2 deep off the rail. That might have been the craziest (non-drug/drinking) thing I've ever seen at a show. He must have wanted some extreme closeups.

Hope everyone had a good time and the girl they pulled over the rail is doing okay.

Stay safe everyone and enjoy the rest of the tour!