Getaway

great song!!
Post edited by pickupyourwill on

Comments

• My 10 year old son emailed that song to all of his friends and his fifth grade teacher.
  • My favorite song on the their so far.
  • BlaylockM wrote:
    My 10 year old son emailed that song to all of his friends and his fifth grade teacher.

:thumbup: cool
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited April 2017
  • TeeChiTeeChi Posts: 35
    BlaylockM wrote:
    My 10 year old son emailed that song to all of his friends and his fifth grade teacher.

And how did that turn out?
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 900
    I find it a bit ironic with the lyrics 'get yours off my plate, i've got my own way to believe'
    I read this as 'stop telling me about your religious views, i dont need your advice'.
    just funny how the whole song seems to be Ed's religious views while also saying i dont want to hear yours.

Dont get me wrong, im not offended, im a big athiest, just found this a little funny.
    anyone else read it this way or do you think i've misunderstood this?
  • tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    I find it a bit ironic with the lyrics 'get yours off my plate, i've got my own way to believe'
    I read this as 'stop telling me about your religious views, i dont need your advice'.
    just funny how the whole song seems to be Ed's religious views while also saying i dont want to hear yours.

Dont get me wrong, im not offended, im a big athiest, just found this a little funny.

:lol:. Very true.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • BlaylockMBlaylockM Posts: 12
    edited December 2013
    TeeChi wrote:
    BlaylockM wrote:

And how did that turn out?

It's funny you ask because there's a little story, there. Being a little headbanger, he was initially drawn to that song, but I think the "Simon says stand up sit down you're out" lyric is what really piqued his interest. We didn't get too deeply into the religious aspects of it but I was surprised how much he understood it. He definitely got the "put all your faith in no faith' part and he asked me why I thought he keeps saying It's ok and It's alright. I explained to him that he didn't wanted to be portrayed as a hypocrite, pushing people to think the same way he does. He wants you to think for yourself. Of course, 10 years old boys like the making love like the lizards as a silly reference, too.

To answer your question, his teacher (who is male) thanked him and said he should listen to the song, Given To Fly, which was pretty cool. Not long after, my son had to pick somebody to do a year long biography project on, and with the teacher's encouragement, they picked Eddie Vedder for him. Unfortunately, at the parent teacher conference a week or so later, he told me he was going to have to change his person, because the project requires a lot of reading and writing from a book about the person, and he didn't really want him to use, Five Against One. I didn't really agree but I get it, so unfortunately, it turned out to be a little bit of a bummer. Sitting here writing this, I don't remember who they switched it to, but I'm sure it won't be as good
    Post edited by BlaylockM on
  • I find it a bit ironic with the lyrics 'get yours off my plate, i've got my own way to believe'

I saw this after I already posted a response to a different quote, but I think that's why he continually says It's ok and it's alright. It's clearly his intentional attempt of not wanting to sound hypocritical. I'm not sure it works, but he definitely was aware that it could be construed that way and he tried to diffuse it.
  • petrimppetrimp Finland Posts: 161

Heh :) I never thought of it that way. I don't see it as Ed telling (or even preaching) his religious views to whoever is listening. I've taken it more of him resisting the forced beliefs of organized religions and defending one's freedom to choose their own beliefs. But he is also seems to downplay the anger a bit, saying it's okay if others need to pray (probably referring the teachings of the others religion).
    hearts and thoughts they fade, fade away...
  • KCjamKCjam Posts: 135
    petrimp wrote:

Heh :) I never thought of it that way. I don't see it as Ed telling (or even preaching) his religious views to whoever is listening. I've taken it more of him resisting the forced beliefs of organized religions and defending one's freedom to choose their own beliefs. But he is also seems to downplay the anger a bit, saying it's okay if others need to pray (probably referring the teachings of the others religion).

I would have to agree with this response. It seems like more of an attempt to resist others imposing their religious beliefs on him. Also, may be saying that religious folks could be a bit more accepting and tolerant of various other religions and non-believers.
  • Versus13Versus13 Vancouver, BC Posts: 191
    "Mine is mine and your's won't take it's place"

Very well done
    Pittsburgh, PA 10/11/13
    Detroit, MI 10/16/14
    Tampa, FL 4/11/16
    Jacksonville, FL 4/13/16
    Toronto, ON 5/12/16
    Chicago, IL 8/22/16
    Chicago, IL 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL 8/20/18
    Boston, MA 9/4/18
    Ottawa, ON 9/3/22
    Hamilton, ON 9/6/22
    Toronto, ON 9/8/22
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    Re: "Get these off of my plate" ...

Some people like brocoli. Some people don't. Ed's saying it's fine if you like your spiritual brocoli, but he's just not into it. You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like. It's a message of tolerance ... but tolerance is a two-way street.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Treyert14Treyert14 Louisiana Posts: 924

The song is about an ignorant religious person trying to shove his beliefs down somebody else's throat, That's what EV said at the New Orleans show.
  • RB274157RB274157 Chicago Posts: 227
    Hi Everyone! I need help with Getaway. I'm working on a motion graphics (Kinetic Typography actually) video of this song. If you are not familiar with this style, this is an awesome example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc (of course what I'm working on is nothing like this visually but you'll get the idea).

Anyway, I got stuck here:

Holy rollers sittin with their backs to the middle
    All hands on deck, sinking is the bow

I'm trying to find a way to represent this section but It seems impossible. I'm not sure I understand what ed is trying to say with "all hands on deck, sinking is the bow". Keep in mind english is my second language, so I may be missing something here, I did look up "all hands on deck" and it makes a bit more sense now but still not sure how it connects to "sinking is the bow".... Anyone willing to help me out?

Romy Bianchi
    'Your light made us stars'
    Argentina '05 '11 '13 '15 and the infamous '18 no-show
    Chile '13
    Wrigley '18

• RB274157 said:

Hi Everyone! I need help with Getaway. I'm working on a motion graphics (Kinetic Typography actually) video of this song. If you are not familiar with this style, this is an awesome example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc (of course what I'm working on is nothing like this visually but you'll get the idea).

Anyway, I got stuck here:

Holy rollers sittin with their backs to the middle
    All hands on deck, sinking is the bow

I'm trying to find a way to represent this section but It seems impossible. I'm not sure I understand what ed is trying to say with "all hands on deck, sinking is the bow". Keep in mind english is my second language, so I may be missing something here, I did look up "all hands on deck" and it makes a bit more sense now but still not sure how it connects to "sinking is the bow".... Anyone willing to help me out?

My guess is that the holy rollers are sitting there not helping the rest of the country with its problems (boat being the country), and even with all hands on deck with those who will help, the boat is still sinking head first. That's all I got. :) Good luck with your project.
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited April 2017
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Some songs jam so much i don't even hear the words. Getaway is stellar gold. I love it. 
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024