How About a Pearl Jam Obscure Fact Repository

pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
edited January 2014 in The Porch
Okay, you've read the articles, streamed the videos, put on the headphones, and deciphered McCready's tattoos. Lets see what you've got to show for it. Who can stump their fellow fan? I'll start off.

- Ament did not play on two Yield tracks: 'No Way' and 'DTE'. Stone was the one who actually played bass on the studio versions and Jeff just didn't think he could improve upon them.

By the way, please free to challenge any dubious claims.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Did you know Eddie Vedder was not their only choice for singing in Pearl Jam?
    Sure, it is pretty well known the guys listened to other "Andy-clone" singers, but there was also one person who was actually offered the gig, probably before Stone, Jeff, and Mike even knew of Eddie's existence. His name is Ty Willman and he turned Stone down in favor of his own band at the time, Ride Me Babies (who would later become Green Apple Quick Step); which just so happened to be the band Mookie Blaylock opened up for on 10/22/90!
    This wouldn't be the last time his presence has floated around in the PJ circle - most notably singing lead on 3 songs off Bayleaf. Ty also was in a band with Mike McCready called $10,000 Gold Chain, that had a total of one song (this can be found on 'The Cable Guy' soundtrack!) As for Green Apple Quick Step, Stone co-produced their album 'Reloaded' at his own studio, although he asked to receive no royalties. It even had a couple minor radio hits, including the song 'Dizzy.'
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Did you know Eddie Vedder was not their only choice for singing in Pearl Jam?
    Sure, it is pretty well known the guys listened to other "Andy-clone" singers, but there was also one person who was actually offered the gig, probably before Stone, Jeff, and Mike even knew of Eddie's existence. His name is Ty Willman and he turned Stone down in favor of his own band at the time, Ride Me Babies (who would later become Green Apple Quick Step); which just so happened to be the band Mookie Blaylock opened up for on 10/22/90!
    This wouldn't be the last time his presence has floated around in the PJ circle - most notably singing lead on 3 songs off Bayleaf. Ty also was in a band with Mike McCready called $10,000 Gold Chain, that had a total of one song (this can be found on 'The Cable Guy' soundtrack!) As for Green Apple Quick Step, Stone co-produced their album 'Reloaded' at his own studio, although he asked to receive no royalties. It even had a couple minor radio hits, including the song 'Dizzy.'

:o
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Owner of a Lonely Heart and another Beatles song (not I've got a Feeling) were also rehearsed and recorded during the infamous "1st week recording sessions" commonly referred to as the 10/13/90 demo tape.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

Reloaded is actually a decent disc. Shame they didn't go on to bigger and better things. They kind of remind me of Urge Overkill a bit.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,311
    BinFrog wrote:
    As for Green Apple Quick Step, Stone co-produced their album 'Reloaded' at his own studio, although he asked to receive no royalties. It even had a couple minor radio hits, including the song 'Dizzy.'
    Reloaded is actually a decent disc. Shame they didn't go on to bigger and better things. They kind of remind me of Urge Overkill a bit.
    Shame they didn't go on to bigger and better things.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • ravilloriasravillorias Paris Posts: 458
    nice inforamtion !
    Like this post :)
    -- rafa
  • pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
    edited December 2013
    BinFrog wrote:
    As for Green Apple Quick Step, Stone co-produced their album 'Reloaded' at his own studio, although he asked to receive no royalties. It even had a couple minor radio hits, including the song 'Dizzy.'
    Shame they didn't go on to bigger and better things.

I found it in the $1 bin a few years ago and it does have some good stuff on it. Speaking of $1 bins, they seem to contain a treasure trove of '90s pearl jam side projects (Thermadore, Brad, Three Fish, and so on)
    Owner of a Lonely Heart and another Beatles song (not I've got a Feeling) were also rehearsed and recorded during the infamous "1st week recording sessions" commonly referred to as the 10/13/90 demo tape.

That's funny because in one of those LB video interviews that have been circulating, I think Jeff jokingly mentioned Owner of a Lonely Heart when Mike was talking about songs one band member tries to convince the other guys to toss into the setlist.
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    PJ wanted to play Sonic Reducer at the 92 MTV Video Music Awards, but they were pressured into playing their big hit at the time, Jeremy. Ed does a little F.U. protest to MTV at the end of the song by singing a line from Sonic Reducer, "I don't need no...I don't need no mom and dad."
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Randy Johnson was in attendance at the first ever PJ show. This fact boggles my mind.

*Source: PJ20 book, first couple pages, I believe it's Mike's account.
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,311
    mookieb10 wrote:
    Randy Johnson was in attendance at the first ever PJ show. This fact boggles my mind.

*Source: PJ20 book, first couple pages, I believe it's Mike's account.
    Randy's a big rock and roll fan. And being with Seattle 89 thru 97 put him right in the middle of the melting pot of grunge. He's still photographing many shows(many other bands) which he attends.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • "Ramblings II" from the second holiday single opens with the sitar from The Beatles' "The Inner Light" and then crossfades into the background music from the bus scenes of the Magical Mystery Tour film.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Great posts. Please keep this thread going!
  • Owner of a Lonely Heart and another Beatles song (not I've got a Feeling) were also rehearsed and recorded during the infamous "1st week recording sessions" commonly referred to as the 10/13/90 demo tape.

A little later, during the Ten sessions, they recorded Mudhoney's "Touch Me, I'm SIck", which is kinda odd considering the animosity between Mark Arm and Jeff at the time.
  • FoxyRedLa wrote:

:o

That's not all. During an interview for Bayleaf, Stone confessed he wasn't completely won over by Eddie's contributions when the band first started out and secretly wished for Chris Cornell. Perhaps he wanted Temple of the Dog to live on?

A little later, during the Ten sessions, they recorded Mudhoney's "Touch Me, I'm SIck", which is kinda odd considering the animosity between Mark Arm and Jeff at the time.

This was also recorded during the 10/13/90 week, but also later on for inclusion of the snippet from Singles.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    this thread is great!
    Your light made us stars
  • - Ament did not play on two Yield tracks: 'No Way' and 'DTE'. Stone was the one who actually played bass on the studio versions and Jeff just didn't think he could improve upon them.

I don't know where I read this and I might be wrong but I'm of the understanding that either Mike or Stone doesn't play on Jeremy. Again, don't know where I got that. But one of them isn't there and the one that is there plays all the guitar parts. Can anyone confirm or disconfirm this?

Also, does Stone play on Yellow Ledbetter? Never really hear a second guitar in the studio version but maybe it's buried in the mix?

Actually, part of this thread (which is gonna go every which way) can be a list of songs in which not every member of the band is playing. I'd actually be interested to know what the list is. So what we've got so far....going by what I (think I) know is...

-Do The Evolution: Jeff doesn't play
    -No Way: Jeff doesn't play
    -I Got Shit: Mike and Stone don't play
    -Long Road: Mike and Stone don't play.
    -Stupid Mop: I don't think everyone plays but I'm not sure.
    -Bugs: The same...there's other instrumentation besides the accordion...but not sure who's playing what.
    -Soon Forget: Eddie only
    -Arc: Eddie only
    -Bee Girl: Eddie and Jeff only
    -Dead Man: Eddie and Jeff only
    -Footsteps: Eddie and Stone only
    -Angel: Eddie and Dave only
    -Jeremy: Does everybody play?? I'm not sure.
    -Yellow Ledbetter: Don't think Stone plays but again I'm not sure.

I'm sure there's way more I can't think of.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,457
    edited November 2013
    - Ament did not play on two Yield tracks: 'No Way' and 'DTE'. Stone was the one who actually played bass on the studio versions and Jeff just didn't think he could improve upon them.

I don't know where I read this and I might be wrong but I'm of the understanding that either Mike or Stone doesn't play on Jeremy. Again, don't know where I got that. But one of them isn't there and the one that is there plays all the guitar parts. Can anyone confirm or disconfirm this?

Also, does Stone play on Yellow Ledbetter? Never really hear a second guitar in the studio version but maybe it's buried in the mix?

Actually, part of this thread (which is gonna go every which way) can be a list of songs in which not every member of the band is playing. I'd actually be interested to know what the list is. So what we've got so far....going by what I (think I) know is...

-Bugs: The same...there's other instrumentation besides the accordion...but not sure who's playing what.

This is so interesting! and way cOoL thread!!
    Post edited by electronblue on
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

edited November 2013

This is a fun exercise. Hmm... off the top of my head.
    -Pendulum: No Mikey!
    Driftin': Eddie and Stone (maybe) only
    Strangest Tribe: Eddie and Stone only (from same day as Driftin')
    Also on I Got Shit: Jeff doesn't play, B O'B is on bass
    Satan's Bed: Dave A. isn't playing. His drum tech, Jimmy Shoaf is the one bashing it out.
    Gremmie out of Control: No Mikey, B O'B on lead.
  • PJPJ Posts: 282
    Satan's Bed: Dave A. isn't playing. His drum tech, Jimmy Shoaf is the one bashing it out.

Wow that's crazy!

:corn:
    2006-06-01 E. Rutherford 1
    2008-06-24 NYC: MSG 1
    2008-06-25 NYC: MSG 2
  • PJ wrote:

Wow that's crazy! Who was this guy?

:corn:
    Read this for fun
    http://www.twofeetthick.com/2005/05/who-is-the-drummer-on-satans-bed/

Also, while on the subject of drummers, Chris Friel plays on the Mamason version of Footsteps, not Matt C.
  • Also on I Got Shit: Jeff doesn't play, B O'B is on bass

Oh yeah you're right. He plays on Long Road and O' Brien plays on I Got Shit.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

Holy cow I woul love to hear owner of a lonely heart
  • This is a fun exercise. Hmm... off the top of my head.

For completist's sake
    Rock Around Barack: Eddie missed out on that one
    edited December 2013

This is a fun exercise. Hmm... off the top of my head.

Master/Slave: Just Ed and Jeff + Rick Parashar on keyboards
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    The last lyric of Even Flow is "Don't Vote Republican"
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    Kick ass thread! Keep it going! :clap:
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• You sure Mike doesn't play on Gremmie Outta Control, pleatherman? The Lost Dogs liner notes says that Mike plays on it as well as O'Brien. Mike comments that O'Brien is the "prince of surf guitar" so I'd imagine that yes, O'Brien's playing lead. But the liner notes say Mike's playing too. The Lost Dogs liner notes have plenty of errors so this might be one. But I'm not sure. Anyway, here's what we got:

-I Got Shit: Jeff, Mike and Stone don't play
    -Pendulum: Mike doesn't play
    -Driftin': Eddie and Stone (maybe) only
    -Strangest Tribe: Eddie and Stone only (from same day as Driftin')
    -Satan's Bed: Dave isn't playing. His drum tech Jimmy Shoaf is
    -Rock Around Barack: Eddie doesn't play
    -Master/Slave: Eddie and Jeff only (with Tim Palmer who's credited on fire extinguisher and pepper shaker?)

Looking for confirmations on:
    Jeremy: I read somewhere (or I totally made up) that one of the guitarists isn't on the track.
    Yellow Ledbetter: Does Stone play?
    Gremmie out of Control: Brendan O'Brien's playing lead but is Mike playing at all?
    Stupid Mop: Definitely Eddie, Jeff, and Jack. But do Stone and/or Mike play?
    Bugs: Who's making all the sounds that aren't the accordion?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • You sure Mike doesn't play on Gremmie Outta Control, pleatherman? The Lost Dogs liner notes says that Mike plays on it as well as O'Brien. Mike comments that O'Brien is the "prince of surf guitar" so I'd imagine that yes, O'Brien's playing lead. But the liner notes say Mike's playing too. The Lost Dogs liner notes have plenty of errors so this might be one. But I'm not sure.
    I sifted thru my trusty ol' PJ20 book and here's what I found

“Gremmie Out of Control”—An endearingly off-the-cuff cover of a Silly Surfers song from 1964, released on the 1996 MOM: Music for Our Mother Ocean benefit album.
    Mike McCready: I’m not even on that. Brendan O’Brien, our producer, is playing the lead guitar lick. I could not claim to play that great. That’s Brendan just making it happen. When I heard it, I was like, “We have to have this on here.” It’s Brendan kicking ass on the guitar.”
  • You sure Mike doesn't play on Gremmie Outta Control, pleatherman? The Lost Dogs liner notes says that Mike plays on it as well as O'Brien. Mike comments that O'Brien is the "prince of surf guitar" so I'd imagine that yes, O'Brien's playing lead. But the liner notes say Mike's playing too. The Lost Dogs liner notes have plenty of errors so this might be one. But I'm not sure.
    I sifted thru my trusty ol' PJ20 book and here's what I found

“Gremmie Out of Control”—An endearingly off-the-cuff cover of a Silly Surfers song from 1964, released on the 1996 MOM: Music for Our Mother Ocean benefit album.
    Mike McCready: I’m not even on that. Brendan O’Brien, our producer, is playing the lead guitar lick. I could not claim to play that great. That’s Brendan just making it happen. When I heard it, I was like, “We have to have this on here.” It’s Brendan kicking ass on the guitar.”

Ah well there ya go. I remember that now from the book and really should re-read it. I powered through it in like an hour around the time of PJ20 but haven't read it since. It's great. Kinda like the Beatles anthology but on a much smaller scale.

Pearl Jam bootlegs: