Has the new album brought in new fans?

iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
edited November 2013 in The Porch
Just wondering. They promoted the hell out of it, but there doesn't seem to be many new folks on the board anyway.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• korn-1korn-1 Los Angeles, transplanted from Chicago Posts: 914
    Maybe not to the boards but i know theyve gained at least a few.... i went fishing for a couple country fans using sirens as bait. They bit and i slowly reeled them in with the rest of the catalog. One is now completely hooked and the other isnt far behind.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    I had Getaway playing in the car the other day and my 2 year old said "I yike dis song".......so I would say, yes, new fan. :D
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • retropony wrote:
    I had Getaway playing in the car the other day and my 2 year old said "I yike dis song".......so I would say, yes, new fan. :D

Are you a long time fan and just new to the boards or a new fan?
  • jg341jg341 Detroit, MI Posts: 20
    retropony wrote:

My 2 year old likes the new album too. She insists on "new songs" when we get in the car.
    Left the porch
    I'm a long time fan new to the boards, my son, I would say, is a new fan.
    retropony wrote:

Are you a long time fan and just new to the boards or a new fan?
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • Ahr MannAhr Mann Posts: 141
    Just wondering. They promoted the hell out of it, but there doesn't seem to be many new folks on the board anyway.

I wouldn't use this board as a barometer for new fans: That being said, I doubt the new album converted anyone.
  • Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    retropony wrote:

I played Getaway and MYM for a buddy of mine in the car. He previously only knew the old, old PJ and said he was never really a fan, but he really liked those two songs. Does that make him a fan though, not really. But another friend of mine was always a fair weather fan of PJ until the last three albums, which have made him into a real fan. And right now LB is his favourite.
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    my wife is now a fan, officiallly, after 15 years of hearing every song over and over again..
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    maybe not the album but the GA policy
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    you can be a new fan and not be on the boards.
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Lots of old fans asking me how the album is and if they should check it out.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    LloydXmas wrote:
    if they really are fans, wouldnt they check out the new album anyway?
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    LloydXmas wrote:
    if they really are fans, wouldnt they check out the new album anyway?
    I know Lots of casual fans that probably never heard anything past yield.
  • I know this is an extreme comparison, but do you think "Endless Wire" brought in new Who fans?

Through no fault of their own, I think it's REALLY tough for bands that have been around over 20 years (hell even 10 probably) to bring in new fans. You may get some that "forgot" about them for a while and have come back or the second-generation fan who likes what he hears during the World Series, but as a rule it's just a hard thing to do.
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Judging by the number of "toddler" threads of late, I'd have to say yes.
  • AggAgg Posts: 462
    I have one friend who constantly makes fun of my love for Pearl Jam, and she texted me the other day talking about how Sirens came on her Pandora and she can't stop listening to it. She said she's going to buy the new CD, so they at least converted one person. :lol:
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
    wouldn't a second generation fan be a new fan?
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • retropony wrote:
    wouldn't a second generation fan be a new fan?

It depends. The OP was asking specifically about the new album bringing in fans, so if by chance some parents have withheld the music of Pearl Jam until now then I guess so. But I know that my son has been going to sleep to lots of different music his whole life (not to mention in the car) including the more "safe" PJ albums, so he's quite familiar with them.
    It has to be pulling in at least some new fans. There has to be some kid out there that heard stuff from LB and is casually looking up the old stuff and discovering something they haven't heard before, then pulling them up on youtube and watching some amazing performances. Before long he or she is selling stuff on ebay to fund trips to far reaches of the world to catch a concert........this is what I chose to think anyway. :)
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    I always knew who Pearl Jam was but I'm a "new" fan, new as in this year. But this is before LB came out. Do I count? :lol:
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • RD101189RD101189 A distant time, a distant space Posts: 454
    Brought back some old ones more likely. Those fans that tuned out after Yield and Riot Act. It didn't help that they didn't have good distribution set up for the avacado album. They've tended to stick to the same US cities on tours which doesn't help to grow the base, although I'm sure they've picked up tons overseas in past 5 years. Glad they're coming to Phoenix after a 10 year absence though.
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    I always knew who Pearl Jam was but I'm a "new" fan, new as in this year. But this is before LB came out. Do I count? :lol:

This is it. There will always be a constant inflow of new fans. As long as 22 years of PJ music is standing there. Doesn't matter if there is a new album out there, or not.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
    jumbojet wrote:

This is it. There will always be a constant inflow of new fans. As long as 22 years of PJ music is standing there. Doesn't matter if there is a new album out there, or not.

Yeah, I agree. Just wish I had gotten into them sooner.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I don't think this board reflects anything at all. I was a big fan for 21 years before I joined 10C and was able to post on the boards.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Seattle Posts: 306
    @nothinasitseems:
    -Chrissy

10/16 Worcester 2
    10/18 Brooklyn 1
    10/19 Brooklyn 2
    10/25 Hartford

i am lost, i'm no guide, but i'm by your side...

Welcome Chrissy. From your show list it's looks like you're making up for lost time quick! 8-)
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Every person I have played Getaway for has loved it, from my 8 year old sister to my 19 year old friend.
  • Harder to catch a fish that you hooked and reeled in and threw back.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Harder to catch a fish that you hooked and reeled in and threw back.
    :think: :think:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    @nothinasitseems:
    -Chrissy

10/16 Worcester 2
    10/18 Brooklyn 1
    10/19 Brooklyn 2
    10/25 Hartford

i am lost, i'm no guide, but i'm by your side...

Welcome Chrissy. From your show list it's looks like you're making up for lost time quick! 8-)

Thanks! And that was the plan. :D:lol:
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't think this board reflects anything at all. I was a big fan for 21 years before I joined 10C and was able to post on the boards.

the board was open to anyone up until a couple years ago. good times.
    did you see me? i saw you.