Options

When exactly did PJ re-record old tunes for Lost Dogs?

ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
edited November 2013 in The Porch
Dirty Frank, Wash, Alone, Drifting, Hard To Imagine, and Hold On all seem to be at the time recent recordings but I could never pinpoint the year they were recorded

Dirty Frank, Wash, Alone, and Hold On were all recorded in various forms in the early 90's (Hold On being the acoustic recording and the instrumental demos from that time) and a version of Hard to Imagine was included to a movie soundtrack yet none of these versions are included on Lost Dogs
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mcgavinjmcgavinj Idaho Falls, ID, USA Posts: 311
    I don't think they we're re-recorded but probably just different takes from the same sessions. I don't know this for sure but that's my guess.
  • Options
    pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
    edited November 2013
    Out of the songs already heard before Lost Dogs was released, here are some of the band-aids applied. And all the ones with newly added parts were done, presumably, during or around the Riot Act sessions including "U", which can be distinguished for being the only song re-recorded by the entire band for Lost Dogs. Also, a few other Binaural outtakes have rough mix or basic tracks circulating but the ones on Lost Dogs are still culled from the original Binaural sessions.
    Alone: New vocals added to Ten era version, not the b-side for "Go"
    Undone: New guitar solo
    Hold On: New vocals. Note: A ten demo or rough mix exists that can be considered a completely separate version.
    Hard to Imagine: Original vocals from Vs. era. The Chicago Cab version has different vocals for the verses and chorus recorded maybe around No Code. The "Things were different..." portion is identical to the original, however.
    Footsteps: Added harmonica
    Wash: alt. version from same time period as the original
    Drifting: New vocals
    Dirty Frank: Deleted some vocals from the original that Ed probably felt embarrassed of (Shut your mouth!)
    Brother: New guitar, of course

I'm sure there are other things but that's all I can remember right now.
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • Options
    I don't really like the Lost Dogs versions of Alone, Dirty Frank, Wash, etc. Not sure why they rerecorded or overdubbed or did whatever they did for Lost Dogs because the original B-sides sounded fine. Same with the versions of Breath and SOLAT from the Rearviewmirror Greatest Hits being different (and not as good in my opinion) as the original versions from the Singles soundtrack. And "Brother" from the 2009 Ten reissue seems be a contemporary recording as well.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    I think the Chicago Cab version of HTI was Vitalogy era.

Alone is the only track from LD that really bothers me. I really prefer the b-side version.
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,585
    U was also re-recorded.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options

Alone is the only track from LD that really bothers me. I really prefer the b-side version.

This was my source for HTI. Old interview with Jeff. The Chicago Cab version is still identical to the Lost Dogs except for vocals for the first half of the song. Maybe I should go back and listen to them again. I could be wrong.

Well, there are definitely a couple of "Holy Grail" Pearl Jam tracks. "Hard To Imagine" was one for awhile.
    JA: We recorded it first during "Vs.," then again later on. I think it might have been "No Code." I think that's the version that ended up on [the soundtrack to the film] "Chicago Cab."
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,099
    I guess I'm the same way. I have my own folder full a b-sides, rarities, and live covers. I tend to prefer the original versions to the modified ones on lost dogs....

Hard to Imagine, U, Footsteps etc... love the version off the original singles.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    ...Same with the versions of Breath and SOLAT from the Rearviewmirror Greatest Hits being different (and not as good in my opinion) as the original versions from the Singles soundtrack...

Question... are you saying that there are THREE recorded versions of SOLAT? I.e. Singles, RVM, and Ten Re-issue? I had always assumed that the Singles and RVM versions where the same since I do not have the Singles soundtrack. Is the Singles version closer to the Ten reissue?
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    PJ is turning into George Lucas.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:
    ...Same with the versions of Breath and SOLAT from the Rearviewmirror Greatest Hits being different (and not as good in my opinion) as the original versions from the Singles soundtrack...

Question... are you saying that there are THREE recorded versions of SOLAT? I.e. Singles, RVM, and Ten Re-issue? I had always assumed that the Singles and RVM versions where the same since I do not have the Singles soundtrack. Is the Singles version closer to the Ten reissue?

Oh my lord!!!

So the only studio versions of SOLAT that you know are the super slow Ten reissue and the weird overproduced vocal & guitar effects version on RVM?!

You need to listen to the Singles version right now!

I mean, literally stop whatever you are doing and go online or wherever and listen to the Singles version RIGHT NOW!!

I kind of dig the vibe of the Ten reissue as it is obviously at the demo stage so that's cool but the RVM version of SOLAT is the only PJ recording of a song I know for a fact I will never ever listen to again.

You are going to be bouncing when you hear the Singles version! :thumbup:
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    Stinkfoot wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:

Oh my lord!!!

So the only studio versions of SOLAT that you know are the super slow Ten reissue and the weird overproduced vocal & guitar effects version on RVM?!

I mean, literally stop whatever you are doing and go online or wherever and listen to the Singles version RIGHT NOW!!

I kind of dig the vibe of the Ten reissue as it is obviously at the demo stage so that's cool but the RVM version of SOLAT is the only PJ recording of a song I know for a fact I will never ever listen to again.

Dave Fucking Abruzzese
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    They stunk-up Undone on Lost Dogs. The original was so cool with that bouncy fuzzy solo. Why do such a thing! I like the Lost Dogs Wash. I thought it may have been recorded recently because it sounded more like the 2003 live versions. I will still say that Holmdel 2003 is my favorite live version. As to the other post about SOLAT. He's right, you must hear the version from Singles. And that's the version they use as the basis for playing it live. I think Down is different too. I like the I am mine single version. The Austrailia I am mine version of Undone is killer.

FYI- the vocals on Walter's Walk was done in 1983
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Stinkfoot wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:

Oh my lord!!!

Totally agree. Here ckravitz, here's the original versions of SOLAT and Breath from the Singles movie soundtrack. Everything stinkfoot said about SOLAT applies to Breath as well:

http://depositfiles.com/files/rf32s4knj
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    U wasn't re-recorded, aside from eddie re-doing the vocals.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    Stinkfoot wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:

Oh my lord!!!

Haha! Ok, I am downloading from Ledbetterman10's link right now. Thanks!
  • Options
    Totally agree. Here ckravitz, here's the original versions of SOLAT and Breath from the Singles movie soundtrack. Everything stinkfoot said about SOLAT applies to Breath as well:

Thank you! Just downloaded.... going to unpack and listen now! Thanks again!
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    edited November 2013
    The RVM version of State of Love and Trust is the original mix by Rick Parasher that you can briefly hear in the actual film. This wasn't commercially released until the RVM comp.

The soundtrack CD has the same recording as remixed by Brendan O'Brien.
    Post edited by Spencer on
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:

Thank you! Just downloaded.... going to unpack and listen now! Thanks again!

You're welcome. Enjoy, they're certainly the best versions of those two songs.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Listening to Lost Dogs again, Wash still seems like a post-98 take both instrumentally and especially vocally

Alone - it sounds indeed like someone here said that they took the instrumental performance from the first take (the non-Go single studio version) and added new vocals and were able to remix the tune so it sounded modern. The guitar parts and drum fills are exactly the same

Dirty Frank sounds like the instrumental is the same take but the mix was heavily altered so it sounds more modern for 2003 standards and heavier like Alone and again with more 'recent' vocals

Now I am curious as to when those vocals were recorded? I am guessing 2003 or near the release of the album although I do like these vocals more than the takes on the songs on Riot Act
  • Options
    DPrival78 wrote:
    I actually disagree, to me it sounds much different.
    Weary is the mind of one stuck in repetition
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    DPrival78 wrote:

the mix is different, and that little toy-piano-sounding part (for lack of a better description) is audible in the chorus, but i'm pretty sure it's the same recording with new vox from eddie.

i know the liner notes say matt played drums on it, but i swear that's a mistake. that is jack, and i'm almost positive that it's the same drum track as the original.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    spivedspived Posts: 107
    SOLAT is my fav PJ song. Because of this, I did a lame research:

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/2009/04/ob ... trust.html

I need to read the book again from Singles soundtrack and the rvm compilation. I read somewhere that the rvm version is the version they used to the film, when Linda goes to the club with her friend and they dance SOLAT.

Seeya!
    spived
    all you need is love
    I got some if you need it
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Dirty Frank: Deleted some vocals from the original that Ed probably felt embarrassed of (Shut your mouth!)

Say it aint so! :lol::lol:
    evenflow82 wrote:
    PJ is turning into George Lucas.

:lol::lol::lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    I was wondering the same thing about the Ten reissue version of Brother, which doesn't hold a candle to the original demo version. Even though sonically it's much cleaner sounding, Ed's delivery is weak compared to the original, and the added fade out kills me, especially since the original ending was amazing. I still take the demo version over the reiisue version every time.
    I think Alone suffered the most on Lost Dogs from the original.
  • Options
    spived wrote:
    SOLAT is my fav PJ song. Because of this, I did a lame research:

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/2009/04/ob ... trust.html

I need to read the book again from Singles soundtrack and the rvm compilation. I read somewhere that the rvm version is the version they used to the film, when Linda goes to the club with her friend and they dance SOLAT.

Seeya!
    spived

Hey thanks for sharing. Pretty cool. I didn't realize the Krusen version is on the reissue. Have to respectfully disagree with Jeff though, the Dave A version destroys the original.
  • Options
    DPrival78 wrote:
    DPrival78 wrote:

the mix is different, and that little toy-piano-sounding part (for lack of a better description) is audible in the chorus, but i'm pretty sure it's the same recording with new vox from eddie.

i know the liner notes say matt played drums on it, but i swear that's a mistake. that is jack, and i'm almost positive that it's the same drum track as the original.
    I stand corrected. I really don't like the Lost Dogs version compared to the Wishlist version. I have no clue why Eddie thought he needed to redo the vocals, to me they seem to have more power in the original version, they also seem to have a distorted effect which is pretty cool. I also do not appreciate the toy piano sounding part you were referring to. :lol:
    Weary is the mind of one stuck in repetition
  • Options
    77777777 Idaho Posts: 146
    DPrival78 wrote:

As a drummer and a fan of Jack, the drums in the Lost Dogs version of U are not Jack! Close but no sitar.
    Liner notes state Matt. It is Matt. Compare the two versions.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I was wondering the same thing about the Ten reissue version of Brother, which doesn't hold a candle to the original demo version. Even though sonically it's much cleaner sounding, Ed's delivery is weak compared to the original, and the added fade out kills me, especially since the original ending was amazing. I still take the demo version over the reiisue version every time.
    I think Alone suffered the most on Lost Dogs from the original.

The LD version of Brother is OK, I like the Ten reissue better because of the lyrics, but the fade out is a buzz killer... is there any other version? can I get the demo version from gremmie?
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options

This was my source for HTI. Old interview with Jeff. The Chicago Cab version is still identical to the Lost Dogs except for vocals for the first half of the song. Maybe I should go back and listen to them again. I could be wrong.

Well, there are definitely a couple of "Holy Grail" Pearl Jam tracks. "Hard To Imagine" was one for awhile.
    JA: We recorded it first during "Vs.," then again later on. I think it might have been "No Code." I think that's the version that ended up on [the soundtrack to the film] "Chicago Cab."

Which version is the one where he says "40 shades of gray" instead of "only gray" ?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Check out Orpheum 94' HTI for further confusion.
    www.cluthelee.com