Where does Lightning Bolt rank for you?

Comments

• blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    ok. so i finally made myself sit down and rank the albums. very hard task.
    how silly, i've seemed to have ranked them by year! lol!

yield
    vitalogy
    ten
    vs
    no code
    riot act
    binaural
    pearl jam
    lightening bolt
    backspacer

But everything can change tomorrow except TEN :D

see. that's how i feel.
    except it's yield, not ten.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    Right now I'm thinking best since Yield. Really liking this one. Doesn't hit you for a few listens and then bam!
  • OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    PJ is my favourite post Yield album.

Riot Act after that, then Backspacer and Binaural.
  • GT1015GT1015 Posts: 161
    Does everyone have a different copy of Riot Act than me? "green disease" "can't keep" "i am mine" are about it for great songs, it doesn't flow...How does this album get into top 5 for anybody? Anywho, the ranking.

group 1. ten,vitalogy
    group 2. no code,binaural,vs, yield
    group 3. pj
    group 4. lighting, backspacer
    group 5. riot act

tried to list them in an order..way to hard. Too many ties. Groups work a little better.
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    GT1015 wrote:
    Does everyone have a different copy of Riot Act than me? "green disease" "can't keep" "i am mine" are about it for great songs, it doesn't flow...How does this album get into top 5 for anybody? Anywho, the ranking.

group 1. ten,vitalogy
    group 2. no code,binaural,vs, yield
    group 3. pj
    group 4. lighting, backspacer
    group 5. riot act

tried to list them in an order..way to hard. Too many ties. Groups work a little better.

You are correct that those 3 songs are about it but you need to add: Save You, LBC, Thumbing, All or None.
    That makes a pretty good gosh darn album IMO?
  • silentJsilentJ Columbus, OH Posts: 199
    How were you guys possibly ranking LB back on 10/16? It had only been officially released for 1 day and streaming for 8 days on i-tunes?

I find that with most new albums (not just PJ) it definitely takes not only multiple listens but time to wrap your brain around it.
  • Ten
    yield
    no code
    VS
    vitalogy
    lightning bolt
    Binaural
    Pearl jam
    Riot Act
    Backspacer

But it changes with the seasons
  • 1. Lightning Bolt
    2. Riot Act
    3. No Code
    4. Binaural
    5. Ten
    6. Vs
    7. Vitalogy
    8. Yield
    9. Pearl Jam
    10. Backspacer

Yes, not your typical list, but it is how I feel right now. Love LB.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    Right now it's my 3rd favorite album. I'm one of the few people who doesn't have much love for No Code through Riot Act. I don't know how anyone could put the last 3 albums below Riot Act though, RA is barely listenable (so many duds). Not understanding the hate for self titled either, its my second favorite record. Shows the diversity of PJ fans for sure.

Vitalogy
    Pearl Jam
    Lightning Bolt
    Vs
    Ten
    Backspacer
    No Code
    Binaural
    Yield
    Riot Act
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    It's definitely in my top 10 Pearl Jam albums of all time! :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, though, I love it! I've given up on trying to rank their albums and basically have this generic formula now:

1. Yield
    2. The other eight albums & tracks 1-8 on Backspacer
    3. Tracks 9-11 on Backspacer
    GT1015 wrote:
    Does everyone have a different copy of Riot Act than me? "green disease" "can't keep" "i am mine" are about it for great songs, it doesn't flow...How does this album get into top 5 for anybody?.

It's not top five for me, but it's a great album.

Can't Keep, Save You, I Am Mine, You Are, Get Right, Bu$hleaguer, Cropduster...the list of great songs goes on and on.

I'm not big on Love Boat Captain, but the sentiment behind it is clear.

It's a very poignant album of the time and the influence of Homi Bhaba is there to see in the lyrics.
  • southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    I think it will fall in my top 5 rather than bottom 5.
    rustedsigns
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I like LB, just don't know where I'd place it yet. It's hard to do with PJ albums. 8-)
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • cwar077cwar077 Posts: 72
    Yield
    Binaural
    Avocado
    No code
    Riot act
    Lightning bolt
    Vitology
    vs
    Backspacer
    Ten

Funny to rank these, I am definitely a fan of the new pearl jam sound. Might have sometime to do with avocado and riot act being released in my late teens and early 20s
  • K_jamK_jam Posts: 137
    Ten
    Vs
    Yield
    Vitalogy
    Binaural
    Pearl jam
    Riot act
    No code
    Backspacer/lightning bolt
  • I'm surprised like others with the hate for LB, BS and Advocado. I've been a fan since day one and even now they're not the angry young men they used to be, I'm still surprised by the quality of music they put out. There's always at least a couple of gems on each record. For me RA is still the one I go back to least as an album. Like most on here my order changes from day to day.

Vs
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    Ten
    No code
    Advocado
    Lightning bolt
    Binaural
    Backspacer
    Riot Act
    cwar077 wrote:
    Yield
    Binaural
    Avocado
    No code
    Riot act
    Lightning bolt
    Vitology
    vs
    Backspacer
    Ten

Funny to rank these, I am definitely a fan of the new pearl jam sound. Might have sometime to do with avocado and riot act being released in my late teens and early 20s

Ten....last???
  • silentJ wrote:
    How were you guys possibly ranking LB back on 10/16? It had only been officially released for 1 day and streaming for 8 days on i-tunes?

I find that with most new albums (not just PJ) it definitely takes not only multiple listens but time to wrap your brain around it.

Yep, I agree. Too soon. What I do know is its a great album
    Happy up here in my tree
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    would put it around the middle area....not much completes with the first 5 records - they are all gold.

however I think LB slips in just after those. Its better for me (so far) than the last 4 - which are by no means bad at all.

but then it hasn't had chance to mature over a sustained period, but im thoroughly enjoying the record at this point.
    silentJ wrote:

Yep, I agree. Too soon. What I do know is its a great album

The question asked if anyone was ready to rank it.
  • RatherBeRatherBe Posts: 270
    edited October 2013
    Not sure exactly where, but probably ahead of Vitalogy, Binaural, Riot Act and Avocado.
    Post edited by RatherBe on
    It's a disease and they're all green, it emanates from their being...
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    sounds insane but I think this is 2or 3. I have not been this excited for a release since Vitalogy, and have not gotten into an album this much since No Code.

So No Code, ten/LB
  • hrd2imgn wrote:
    sounds insane but I think this is 2or 3. I have not been this excited for a release since Vitalogy, and have not gotten into an album this much since No Code.

So No Code, ten/LB

Right there with you man.
  • I love it. I would rank it in the upper tier for me which is alongside No Code and Yield.
    Randall's Island, NY 9/29/96; Camden, NJ 9/2/00; Philadelphia, PA 10/3/05; East Rutherford, NJ 6/1/06; Virginia Beach, VA 6/17/08; Camden, NJ 6/19/08; Philadelphia, PA 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
  • actonplpactonplp Maine Posts: 173
    Vitalogy
    Vs
    Ten
    Lightning Bolt
    Backspacer
    Yield
    Binaural
    No Code
    Riot Act
    Pearl Jam

I guess my favorites are the oldest and newest releases, the albums I ranked 6 thru 10 only had 2 or 3 songs each that I really liked.

Oct. 15, 2013 Worcester, MA
    Aug. 05, 2016 - Fenway Park, Boston
    Oct. 15, 2013 - Worcester, Massachusetts
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,170
    Too early to tell with me but it has not caught my attention like albums past where I am listening to it non stop. I was listening to Self titled and Backspacer more at this point than LB. Songs that really stand out to me are Getaway and My Fathers Son. I find myself replaying those two the most. I also enjoy Swallowed whole a lot. Songs 1-8 get the most plays for me right now but Sleeping with myself, Let the records play and future days are not getting much play for me. Just not feeling them. But Yellow Moon is growing on me more and more. To be fair to LB I really enjoy Self titled and Backpacer. I cannot believe the dislike for Backspacer. I am a huge fan of it.

Side note: I was really disappointed that Ole & Of the Earth didn't make it. I think you replace let the reords play and Sleeping with myself you have a different feel.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    edited October 2013
    Not really sure yet. Lower than 90s albums & Avocado and higher than Backspacer. I find it hard to compare to Binaural and Riot Act since they are so stylistically different. Almost like a different band.

I guess I'd go
    1- Yield
    2- Vs
    3- Ten
    4- Avocado
    5- No Code
    6- Vitalogy
    7- Binaural
    8- Riot Act
    9- LB
    10- Backspacer

I still like Backspacer quite much though. No Code & Vitalogy drop because of weak ending and filler, respectively.

Bottom line is I'm glad they are making new music as opposed to becoming a touring museum band.
    Post edited by Johnny Abruzzo on
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,170
    Olivavu wrote:
    I don't feel that Lightning Bolt flows as well.

The first three do and then Sirens slows it down before the tempo rises again.

Sleeping By Myself shouldn't be on the album either. It's like Halfway There on King Animal - it's a solo track by the singer that shouldn't be on the band's album.

I would replace it with Of The Earth. I also think Ole could have been held back and put on the album instead of Let The Records Play - which is another that doesn't fit.

I would have gone with:

1 - Getaway
    2 - Mind Your Manners
    3 - Ole
    4 - My Father's Son
    5 - Lightning Bolt
    6 - Infallible
    7 - Sirens
    8 - Pendulum
    9 - Swallowed Whole
    10 - Of The Earth
    11 - Yellow Moon
    12 - Future Days

I with you on this 100%
    shadowcast wrote:
    Olivavu wrote:
    I don't feel that Lightning Bolt flows as well.

The first three do and then Sirens slows it down before the tempo rises again.

Sleeping By Myself shouldn't be on the album either. It's like Halfway There on King Animal - it's a solo track by the singer that shouldn't be on the band's album.

I would replace it with Of The Earth. I also think Ole could have been held back and put on the album instead of Let The Records Play - which is another that doesn't fit.

I would have gone with:

1 - Getaway
    2 - Mind Your Manners
    3 - Ole
    4 - My Father's Son
    5 - Lightning Bolt
    6 - Infallible
    7 - Sirens
    8 - Pendulum
    9 - Swallowed Whole
    10 - Of The Earth
    11 - Yellow Moon
    12 - Future Days

I with you on this 100%

If there was a studio version of Of The Earth, I would put that album together and pretend just to see how much better it is.
    I still think that album would be a lot better than the one released, even if it were only two songs changed.