Transit to the Vic Theatre?

NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
edited August 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Afternoon, all.

So--let's say, hypothetically, I'm arriving in Chicago tomorrow 'round 4, staying out near O'Hare and going to the Vic Theatre. What's the easiest way of getting there using public transportation? From what I can gather I can get the blue line into town; would my best bet be to take it to a certain stop, then get off and cab the rest of the way? Or, would driving be the better option (I do have a car at my disposal). Anybody know anything? Any help would be much appreciated!
Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    Blue line from ohare
    change to red or brown at jackson st station take red or brown line to belmont Vic's right there

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/rail/rail.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    NWOntario wrote:
    Afternoon, all.

So--let's say, hypothetically, I'm arriving in Chicago tomorrow 'round 4, staying out near O'Hare and going to the Vic Theatre. What's the easiest way of getting there using public transportation? From what I can gather I can get the blue line into town; would my best bet be to take it to a certain stop, then get off and cab the rest of the way? Or, would driving be the better option (I do have a car at my disposal). Anybody know anything? Any help would be much appreciated!

I'd go with your option you had mentioned, getting cab afterward should be pretty easy too.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    give me your extra and I will pick you up in a stretch limo packed with booze and naked woman.

or you can take blue line into the city, get off near belmont and take a cab the rest of the way
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    luvistower wrote:
    Blue line from ohare
    change to red or brown at jackson st station take red or brown line to belmont Vic's right there

You, sir, are a good man. Thank you kindly!
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    NWOntario wrote:
    You, sir, are a good man. Thank you kindly!
    thanks
    i think
    seeing as i'm a woman
    :p
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    luvistower wrote:
    thanks
    i think
    seeing as i'm a woman
    :p

Dammit, I've been pwn3d. :D
  • KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,086
    luvistower wrote:
    Blue line from ohare

I would take the blue line to the Belmont stop and get on the belmont bus going east. Get of at sheffield and you are at the VIC. It is faster, or that is at least how I did it when i use to live by the vic.
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    what about coming from Midway, start out going Orange line, then I'm confused on were to get off and switch to red or brown, help please!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
    TheGossman wrote:
    what about coming from Midway, start out going Orange line, then I'm confused on were to get off and switch to red or brown, help please!
    looks like washington st station
    to make the switch to brown
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team

• KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,086
    TheGossman wrote:

you can transfer to the red line at State & Lake, you will have to go down to street level and transfer to the subway (so you will go from the above street level to below) :)

You can transfer to the brown line at one of the "L" stop that are within the loop. But you will have to take the walkway to the platform on the tacks ont he other side cuz the brown and orange lines run in opposite directions.

Or just ask someone once you are there ;)
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • KDH12 wrote:
    I would take the blue line to the Belmont stop and get on the belmont bus going east. Get of at sheffield and you are at the VIC. It is faster, or that is at least how I did it when i use to live by the vic.

Cosign, this is much faster than going all the way down to the Loop and all the way back north again.

KDH12 wrote:
    you can transfer to the red line at State & Lake, you will have to go down to street level and transfer to the subway (so you will go from the above street level to below) :)

Easiest to take the Orange in and transfer to the Red line at Roosevelt - it's the same station, just go downstairs to the subway. I did this last week and got from Midway to Belmont in about 45 minutes. Red line tends to be a bit faster out of the Loop than the Brown - fewer stops.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    ok, whats the fastest way from Midway to Grant Park?
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • TheGossman wrote:
    ok, whats the fastest way from Midway to Grant Park?

Orange Line to Roosevelt. exit and walk 3 blocks to the park.
  • GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    Hi!! I live off the blue line, and I posted this in another thread, but just so you know the blueline's service is going to be shotty on Thursday night after 8pm. Its going down to a single track. While I don't advise driving your own car, parking is a bitch around the VIC, you might want to cab it home (hotel)..

Also, if you don't want to go all the way to jackson downtown to connect to the redline...

You can take the Blueline to Damen.. that lets you off on a big intersection (North, Damen, and Milwaukee). If you take the North Ave bus east it stops at the North and Clybourn redline station. Take the redline north a few stops to Belmont. It's much faster..

You could also get off at Damen, take the Damen bus North, get off at Belmont and take the Belmont bus east right to the VIC. That would really be the fastest to get there.. But the buses don't run too late, so don;t count on it on the way home..

I hope you read this.. if not, I'll PM the same message to you too..
  • dthomasdthomas Posts: 99
    NWOntario wrote:
    Afternoon, all.

Seriously, Take a cab. It'll cost about $40 max. Taking the blue line from out there to the red line or a bus will take well over an hour. Maybe 90 minutes depending on transfer times/waits. First place youd' get a cab off the blue line would be Damen and that traffic from there to Lake View at 5 p.m. could be 40 minutes.

Of course highway traffic from Ohare will be bad around 4 too. You're going to be quite rushed to get there before 6. Of course I'd be happy to wait in line for you or pick you up. I'm actually in a nice loaner this week a Jaguar XKR, it is mighty fast.

Seriously though, I stand by my above advice on the public transit situation.
    30+ Shows over 15 years
    http://www.fightingthesuburbs.com