Options

Pearl Jam WEEK on Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    That album cover combination was genius!! :lol:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    that was strange seeing Ed in that setting but I thought it was good. the other guy sticking around helped protect him from JF.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    YAY PJ!!! Sounded GREAT!! I was just thinking how anyone could sit still through the Lightning Bolt song :D
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    :clap: That was a super entertaining interview, and a fantastic performance! I actually had tons of fun watching both. :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719

Awesome, thanks DImitis! Fallon doesn't come on here for another couple hours or so but I saw this and cheated. :lol:

The guys are cookin' here. Knocked my socks off. Wow! And dig Ed's guitar: "ZINN". YES!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :clap: That was a super entertaining interview, and a fantastic performance! I actually had tons of fun watching both. :D

YES!

Loved the whole thing, just fucking awesome.

This record has been a real sea change for me in my PJ fandom. Backspacer just left me confused about everything: who PJ was or wanted to be and how I felt about their odd (to me) clearly new direction. Lightning Bolt has me not only understanding it now, but embracing it and fucking loving it. It's like they've fully broken through with this record but it's honest and full of life and energy and openness. They've found a way to retain and inject their sincerity and soul into songs that aren't necessarily "dark" and they've pulled it off like I never expected. After this week and the four shows I've just seen and that last performance on Fallon and a number one fucking record...I don't think I've ever been more proud to be a Pearl Jam fan. I somehow got lucky at 11 years old to pick the right band to obsess over. Thank you PJ for making my life a little better literally every day for the last 23 years.
  • Options
    Loved the interview. I'm glad Eddie is embracing his status as a rock icon.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533

Exactly. It's cool seeing him comfortable with it. He's approaching that Bruce status and embracing it. It's awesome.
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

YES!

Double Yes! Hilarious and yet substantive Ed comments, and then a great version of Lightning Bolt. They saved the best for last.
  • Options
    How do we find a video for lightning bolt on Jimmy Fallon? Have been to website but is only available in USA. SO KEEN TO SEE & hear these songs live! Bring on big day out Melbourne! :shock:
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    october22 wrote:

Exactly. It's cool seeing him comfortable with it. He's approaching that Bruce status and embracing it. It's awesome.

Yeah I guess, but did anyone else think that maybe the record thing was Ed being a smartass? Like "Hey you found a way to make everything else in the interview about you, why not make this about you too?"

I am the biggest Jimmy fan ever, but he seemed way to excited to be talking to Ed, like it was his main goal to make Ed be proud of him and acknowledge his grammy and his record.
  • Options
    MP3s of Pearl Jam week performances:

01. Chris Cornell w/The Avett Brothers - Footsteps
    02. Robin Pecknold - Corduory
    03. Dierks Bently w/Mike McCready & The Roots - Alive
    04. Pearl Jam - Sirens
    05. Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt

http://wegotshit.blogspot.com/2013/10/p ... allon.html
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    RiotZact wrote:
    october22 wrote:

Yeah I guess, but did anyone else think that maybe the record thing was Ed being a smartass? Like "Hey you found a way to make everything else in the interview about you, why not make this about you too?"

I am the biggest Jimmy fan ever, but he seemed way to excited to be talking to Ed, like it was his main goal to make Ed be proud of him and acknowledge his grammy and his record.
    Nah, I didn't think so. I think Ed was just being fun! Sure he clearly wanted to talk a bit more about the gulf spill charity, but besides that, I think it was all good with him - he has a good sense of humour, and I just think he really enjoyed tearing up that album and getting something done with it so impressively fast. :lol: Yes, Jimmy was outrageously excited, lol, but I think Ed understood and seemed at ease. And most of all, I don't think Ed would be so rude and self-centered at this stage of his life as to make a statement about the host like that. He knows Jimmy and knows that it's Jimmy's stage IMO, and most of all would be fully aware of the fact that Jimmy has revolved his show around PJ for five straight days and just gave them the greatest advertising they could want for free! He's probably super appreciative, and that's why he put Jimmy's face on the album! At least I hope so! What you're suggesting would mean that EV is a complete egomaniac!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

YES!

This record has been a real sea change for me in my PJ fandom. Backspacer just left me confused about everything: who PJ was or wanted to be and how I felt about their odd (to me) clearly new direction. Lightning Bolt has me not only understanding it now, but embracing it and fucking loving it. It's like they've fully broken through with this record but it's honest and full of life and energy and openness. They've found a way to retain and inject their sincerity and soul into songs that aren't necessarily "dark" and they've pulled it off like I never expected. After this week and the four shows I've just seen and that last performance on Fallon and a number one fucking record...I don't think I've ever been more proud to be a Pearl Jam fan. I somehow got lucky at 11 years old to pick the right band to obsess over. Thank you PJ for making my life a little better literally every day for the last 23 years.
    :thumbup: Couldn't have said it better! :D
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

Nah, I didn't think so. I think Ed was just being fun! Sure he clearly wanted to talk a bit more about the gulf spill charity, but besides that, I think it was all good with him - he has a good sense of humour, and I just think he really enjoyed tearing up that album and getting something done with it so impressively fast. :lol: Yes, Jimmy was outrageously excited, lol, but I think Ed understood and seemed at ease. And most of all, I don't think Ed would be so rude and self-centered at this stage of his life as to make a statement about the host like that. He knows Jimmy and knows that it's Jimmy's stage IMO, and most of all would be fully aware of the fact that Jimmy has revolved his show around PJ for five straight days and just gave them the greatest advertising they could want for free! He's probably super appreciative, and that's why he put Jimmy's face on the album! At least I hope so! What you're suggesting would mean that EV is a complete egomaniac!

I just re-watched it and I agree with you now, but I wasn't by any means suggesting Ed was being an egomaniac, basically I was saying it was almost justified, but I realize I was totally wrong now. Sorry Jimmy! I would have probably acted ten times worse in his shoes! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    RiotZact wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

I just re-watched it and I agree with you now, but I wasn't by any means suggesting Ed was being an egomaniac, basically I was saying it was almost justified, but I realize I was totally wrong now. Sorry Jimmy! I would have probably acted ten times worse in his shoes! :lol::lol::lol:
    :lol: Yeah, no shit! I'd probably just start babbling incoherently! I just thought it was super cute how Jimmy could barely hold his shit together. :lol: When he started going off about not being able to look at Eddie in the eyes he started going off the fanboy rails a bit, but then pulled himself together again. :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    I'm not looking to get into a debate, and it would be really nice if people could be respectful and not post "bacon" comments, but I was really disappointed when Ed mentioned Javier bringing ham. Along with loving their music, one of the reasons Pearl Jam is my favourite band was the bands, but mostly Ed's, social justice stance. Ed has always been a proponent of non-violence, ethical choices and standing up for the little guy. Not to mention environmental issues. The meat industry is not only cruel, but it is also the #1 source of greenhouse gas emissions, desertification, and cause of water shortages worldwide. To think he has turned his back on this issue....it's a real blow for me. :cry:
  • Options
    actonplpactonplp Maine Posts: 173
    edited October 2013
    I thought Eddie’s interview was awesome because it was more like some pals shooting the shit together and having fun, than the planned topic interviews I've seen before that never give you much of a sense of who Eddie is as a person. He’s a funny guy and that Balls In Your Mouth clip was priceless!

Oct. 15, 2013 Worcester, MA
    Post edited by actonplp on
    Aug. 05, 2016 - Fenway Park, Boston
    Oct. 15, 2013 - Worcester, Massachusetts
  • Options
    halv wrote:
    I'm not looking to get into a debate, and it would be really nice if people could be respectful and not post "bacon" comments, but I was really disappointed when Ed mentioned Javier bringing ham. Along with loving their music, one of the reasons Pearl Jam is my favourite band was the bands, but mostly Ed's, social justice stance. Ed has always been a proponent of non-violence, ethical choices and standing up for the little guy. Not to mention environmental issues. The meat industry is not only cruel, but it is also the #1 source of greenhouse gas emissions, desertification, and cause of water shortages worldwide. To think he has turned his back on this issue....it's a real blow for me. :cry:
    I'm not getting into a debate about it either, but you are reading WAAAAAAY too much into it. I mean Jesus, give the guy a fucking break. He was just having a normal conversation and joked with a friend. He's not fucking Ghandi. I think it might be good that he has come off that thousand mile high pedestal you apparently placed him on.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I'm glad Jimmie asked Ed to be a guest too. Isn't this the first time that's happened on a show like this?

Anyway, the performance of Lightning Bolt went well too!! :corn:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    halv wrote:
    Dude put the tofu pitchfork down and chill a little ;)
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    halv wrote:
    I'm not getting into a debate about it either, but you are reading WAAAAAAY too much into it. I mean Jesus, give the guy a fucking break. He was just having a normal conversation and joked with a friend. He's not fucking Ghandi. I think it might be good that he has come off that thousand mile high pedestal you apparently placed him on.

You might be right.
  • Options
    halv wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    halv wrote:

You might be right.

As someone who doesn't eat meat, I too winced a bit at the ham remark...but then I thought it's an on the spot interview, he's being gracious about Bardem's generosity ie bringing wine and food to an event, from his country/region. EV never said he himself consumed it - if that makes you feel better :) Perhaps it was local, organic ham, and not the factory farmed meat EV has spoken out about? But I do like the remark that we can't put him on a mile high pedestal. So true. You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you do that with any public figure you admire. It was a very entertaining interview. And I really loved how the title track sounded. When I heard it live at the Buffalo show, Stone's guitar wasn't loud enough for me (where he comes in near the end of the song) but it was perfect on this taping. Love this album so much.
  • Options
    im sure the meat industry in spain is a little different than the crap way of doing things here... probably a local ham from Javiers pig farm
  • Options
    spencer958spencer958 Louisville, KY Posts: 279
    Thought it was a fun week. I never thought we would get a whole week of PJ on any kind of talk show. The covers were pretty good. I actually liked the Dierks Bentley with the Roots.
  • Options
    Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    october22 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

YES!

Well said! I feel the same way. The marketing and Fallon have been wonderful. The social media has kickedup. Here, FB, Instagram have been great. Fan stuff and official pj. I just wish I could see a proper pj show. Wrigley was great but I would love to see a show like anything this tour in chicago! Bummed we got skipped on this tour. Pj20 was great but the 09 UC shows were pre backspacer. Only got two new songs. Need a proper new album show!!!!

PJ is killing it right. Hard to believe they just keep getting better.
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Options
    Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    SALLYROO wrote:

As someone who doesn't eat meat, I too winced a bit at the ham remark...but then I thought it's an on the spot interview, he's being gracious about Bardem's generosity ie bringing wine and food to an event, from his country/region. EV never said he himself consumed it - if that makes you feel better :) Perhaps it was local, organic ham, and not the factory farmed meat EV has spoken out about? But I do like the remark that we can't put him on a mile high pedestal. So true. You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you do that with any public figure you admire. It was a very entertaining interview. And I really loved how the title track sounded. When I heard it live at the Buffalo show, Stone's guitar wasn't loud enough for me (where he comes in near the end of the song) but it was perfect on this taping. Love this album so much.

I winced a little too. I don't eat meat either. Is Ed a vegan? I thought I read some where that he was?
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Options
    Seems to me a bigger deal is being made of the meat/ham thing than needs to be...but I eat meat so maybe I'm wrong. Not trying to be disrespectful at all. I just agree with the previous pedastal comment. It will only ever lead to disappointment. But the week was fun to watch. The only disappointments were Corduroy and Dierks Bentley's Alive vocal...but I guess nobody can fill Ed's shoes. I guess my expectations were just too high for those. But Ed's interview and PJ's performances were stellar. We all already know Ed is a funny guy but I was laughing out loud, especially the comment of him being in the middle of the two balls. Somebody previously made a comment about it not feeling like a rehearsed interview or whatever. While I agree, I do think Ed clearly wanted to make the environmental statement that the Balls in Your Mouth clip led to. I don't disagree with what he said at all. Just typical Ed/PJ to take an opportunity like that to point something like that out and to help a cause.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Oh my......i gotta get out of this place. Wow