One year in America - my ass!

Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Wow! October 16th marks my first anniversary of moving to the United States! Time seems to fly when you're having fun I still remember the hassles at the airport when they wanted me to pay 575 Euros for my "overweight" baggage and I started to get angry. It's been a year full of fun, love, and stress ... Hurricane Sandy messed up my moving container, our beloved kitty Mr. Pickles was so sick that he died after being with us for three months, we have lived on bread and water during transition periods and managed the whole visa process ... America is a strange country to get used to when you are a German, and there is still lots of stuff I don't understand, but everything turned out ALRIGHT and I have to say Americans are a wonderful, lovable bunch of people! I would never have thought that I would ever move to another country, but I did. And for good reason. LOVE :mrgreen: After one year, I can proudly say that I have never one single minute felt a feeling of home sickness. I blame it on my lovely husband, who is the joy and love of my life. One year ago I embarked on an adventure, and I didn't know where it would lead me, but my courage has paid off. I'm seriously having the time of my life and I never one single moment regretted my decision. I am missing my people from Germany, and I miss the food, especially the bread, but there is ways to get alright with stuff like this and I know them I am thankful for everybody who encouraged me to follow my dream and make it come true. And, as cheesy as it may sound, I also thank Pearl Jam. Without this band, I would never have even met this gorgeous man I am thankful for all my friends who supported me, I am thankful for my loving family and my new family, whom I love to pieces too. I dig you America, with all your flaws. Here's to the next couple of years, I know it's gonna be a good ride ... Love as much as you can!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    :thumbup: :wave:

Glad you're having a good time here.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    Awesome to have you here!

:wave:
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    awesome, awesome! so glad all worked out and you are so happy!
    as a native NYer who has lived in london and prague, and has traveled a great deal - it's ALWAYS weird when you are the non-native. good things and bad things, it's always strange and new, different. every place and people have their pecadillos. haha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    Thank you all :D

I want to apologize for the weird punctuation in my original post ... I copied it from my facebook and somehow it got rid of the punctuation marks :shifty: Don't drink the Kool Aid, I guess :lol:

Let me tell you that it is not easy to move countries when you are 34/35. But it helps a lot to converse with like-minded people about everything that comes to my mind! I am thankful for this crazy community! And if anybody ever wants to hear a proper German accent, approach me! I have heard I still got it in me :lol::lol::lol:
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Hard to believe it's already been a year! Wow! See you guys in Seattle!! :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    It's great having you here 8-) .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    :thumbup: :-D
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Yes, Americans are great I agree with you Leezestarr 313 :D People in America are so nice and easy going!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    We're happy to have you Leeze, and couldn't be happier that you found love through this band. That's why we're all here together and these stories never get old.

May you and Cav have a wonderful, long life together. :D
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    WOW Time flies... America got a little bit better when you decided to stay :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Happy first year in America !!!! and yes, time sure does go fast. Glad you've been having a wonderful time. :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • America is a strange country to get used to when you are a German

America is a strange country to get used to when you are an American.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
    Thank you all :wave: See some of you in Philly and Seattle :mrgreen:
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    Awesome! :D

Happy one year in America anniversary!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Welcome
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Congrats!

fyeahamerica-montage.jpg
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind wrote:
    Congrats!

fyeahamerica-montage.jpg

:lol:
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Wow...one year! Congrats!! We couldn't be happier to have you here! :)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    :lol: lol Dankind.. I like how the Statue of Liberty has a light saber. :geek:

Wait, boobs!.....
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    dankind wrote:
    Congrats!

fyeahamerica-montage.jpg

:lol::lol:
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Awesome! :D

Happy one year in America anniversary!

+1. Congratulations. :D
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    that is some letter. nicely done.

what are you not understanding over here. i'll do my best to help in anyway i can. for good bread i suggest a straight up bakery & if you can find one, go to the amish bakeries. can you make your own German breads? can your relatives send you bread & or the correct ingredients you may need that you aren't finding here? i say this because i read that you are some cook.

this is one beautiful country with a ton of changing landscape in a pretty short distance. temperate rain forest, desert, grasslands/plains & high plains, swamps/everglades, mountainous, taiga or boreal forests, deciduous forest & alpine

i suggest seeing canada, vancouver island & all over the northwest including northern california & alaska. mexico is a hoot
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    that is some letter. nicely done.

what are you not understanding over here. i'll do my best to help in anyway i can. for good bread i suggest a straight up bakery & if you can find one, go to the amish bakeries. can you make your own German breads? can your relatives send you bread & or the correct ingredients you may need that you aren't finding here? i say this because i read that you are some cook.

this is one beautiful country with a ton of changing landscape in a pretty short distance. temperate rain forest, desert, grasslands/plains & high plains, swamps/everglades, mountainous, taiga or boreal forests, deciduous forest & alpine

i suggest seeing canada, vancouver island & all over the northwest including northern california & alaska. mexico is a hoot

I love the Amish for their meat and veggies, but they cannot make proper bread :P :lol: So yeah, I'm making my own all the time. After one year practising, I have actually become pretty good with my sourdough rye bread. And Cav likes it too :D Most of the stuff that I crave and miss can be found at the Polish market, of all places :lol: And if I don't find it there, I attempt to make it myself. Sometimes I just miss the convenience of going to a bakery and just getting a fresh loaf...
    I love the beauty of this country too. The vast skies, the gorgeous landscape ... Michigan is quite the place to be, it also reminds me of Germany. I am looking forward to exploring the country more! Cav has this idea in his head that he wants to see all the national parks, so that is something that we will try to accomplish. But cities are awesome too! This weekend it's Philadelphia, and in December I'm going to see the West Coast for the first time. In between I will enjoy riding my snow mobile up north 8-)
    Is your ass okay? :o

Mighty fine last time I checked 8-)
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I am so happy for you two...it's just awesome...congratulations!!! Lots of love, light and hugs to you both :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!

Mighty fine last time I checked 8-)

Hah!

hahahaha
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    congrats, neighbor!

has cav taken you to frankenmuth yet? :D

there's a place called nitsches in shelby - not sure if they have bread.
    zingerman's has all kinds of totally awesome bread.
    did you see me? i saw you.
    shortstack wrote:
    congrats, neighbor!

has cav taken you to frankenmuth yet? :D

there's a place called nitsches in shelby - not sure if they have bread.
    zingerman's has all kinds of totally awesome bread.

No Frankenmuth yet - Cav is scarred from several visits to the christmas market there with his mom :lol::lol::lol:

And i still feel like when we were at that German/ Austrian society summer fest - I haven't been long enough away from Germany to get THAT excited about Lederhosen and Blasmusik :lol: It's not part of my German culture anyway. I grew up in the former GDR, Bavaria couldn't be farther away...

I heard about Zingerman's and will check out that store in Shelby, thanks for the heads up :thumbup: