3 things occured last night that I had never seen before . .

NorthShoreBluesNorthShoreBlues Posts: 181
edited October 2013 in The Porch
RE: Worcester I

Last night was a wonderful show but I must admit the show dragged a bit . . . It was my 45th and I had a wonderful time. I say it dragged because of the newer slower songs and Ed's talking in between songs. The show came to a grinding halt each time he told a story . . . I'm used to this stuff and I enjoyed myself, albeit I must admit he was more chatty this time than my previous shows. With that said, here are the 3 things I saw last night that I could not imagine seeing at a PJ show.

1. Empty seats all over the lower bowl. I was in section 109 and my friend and I had about 7 seats to ourselves. I imagine many people went to the floor, but its was a strange sight.

2. Two girls a couple rows away talking to their friends while sitting/leaning on the chairs in front of them with their backs turned to the stage! I couldn't believe it. It was Section 109 and they must have been ten clubbers. It happened during Man of the Hour, Yellow Moon, Fatal. Ok I get those are slow/rare/new songs, and I imagine Ed's talking in between didn't hold their attention, but Really? Talking and texting with your back to the stage, almost blasphemy!

3. Two guys in front of me, two other guys in front of them, and one guy behind me all yelling at Ed through out the show to "shut the f**k up" and "shut up and sing" Whoa! In section 109 (ten club territory) I never really heard people being so harsh on our beloved singer. As I mentioned he talked a lot last night and the show dragged partly because of that but to yell like that=Blasphemy!

All in all, it was a strange night; It was a 3 hour show and it certainly felt like it. The boys are not as young as they used to be and I think they tried to pace themselves and having a minute or two between songs probably helps, although the energy and momentum is a bit lost. As for the venue: the Worcester DCU center totally sucks. One entrance in, beer lines so long, that a friend of mine missed 4 1/2 songs just to get a soda, I never attempted to even get a drink or food, that place is a joke, to small and it has a horrible echo. . .

And alas, here I go again into that crap hole called the DCU tonight hope everyone has a great show and I hope I don't see this stuff again, but I think things are changing at PJ shows and they are changing before my eyes . . .
1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    If one is waiting that long just to get a soda, one needs to re-evaluate one's priorities in life. No Pepsi is worth 4 1/2 songs.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834

Last night was a wonderful show but I must admit the show dragged a bit . . . It was my 45th and I had a wonderful time. I say it dragged because of the newer slower songs and Ed's talking in between songs. The show came to a grinding halt each time he told a story . . . I'm used to this stuff and I enjoyed myself, albeit I must admit he was more chatty this time than my previous shows. With that said, here are the 3 things I saw last night that I could not imagine seeing at a PJ show.

1. Empty seats all over the lower bowl. I was in section 109 and my friend and I had about 7 seats to ourselves. I imagine many people went to the floor, but its was a strange sight.

2. Two girls a couple rows away talking to their friends while sitting/leaning on the chairs in front of them with their backs turned to the stage! I couldn't believe it. It was Section 109 and they must have been ten clubbers. It happened during Man of the Hour, Yellow Moon, Fatal. Ok I get those are slow/rare/new songs, and I imagine Ed's talking in between didn't hold their attention, but Really? Talking and texting with your back to the stage, almost blasphemy!

3. Two guys in front of me, two other guys in front of them, and one guy behind me all yelling at Ed through out the show to "shut the f**k up" and "shut up and sing" Whoa! In section 109 (ten club territory) I never really heard people being so harsh on our beloved singer. As I mentioned he talked a lot last night and the show dragged partly because of that but to yell like that=Blasphemy!

All in all, it was a strange night; It was a 3 hour show and it certainly felt like it. The boys are not as young as they used to be and I think they tried to pace themselves and having a minute or two between songs probably helps, although the energy and momentum is a bit lost. As for the venue: the Worcester DCU center totally sucks. One entrance in, beer lines so long, that a friend of mine missed 4 1/2 songs just to get a soda, I never attempted to even get a drink or food, that place is a joke, to small and it has a horrible echo. . .

And alas, here I go again into that crap hole called the DCU tonight hope everyone has a great show and I hope I don't see this stuff again, but I think things are changing at PJ shows and they are changing before my eyes . . .

Sounds like a fun crowd. I could never understand the "talking" during a concert, during *any* song....
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    I read that people said the show was "choppy" and I get it. Lots of talking and slow songs after a while will take its toll. Set list looks amazing on paper. This explains a lot..
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    I like it when he tells stories. Humanizes the band and he's great at it.
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    massholes!
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Unfortunately I think Eddie talks to much during the shows.
  • HopperHopper Posts: 203
    Unfortunately I think Eddie talks to much during the shows.

the best part of Ed's solo shows is listening to him talk and interact, albeit one-way, with the crowd...

and it connects you to the band when he does it at PJ shows...

i personally don't understand how anyone could NOT want that...
    "To be the man, you gotta beat the man! WOOOOOOOOO!!"
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    With the majority of Lightning Bolt being slow to mid tempo, I think the shows are going to all feel a bit low on energy. Having 5-6 songs per night in the set just tips it too far in that direction.

It was pretty apparent in both Pittsburgh and Buffalo, the crowds were aching for the classic PJ stuff.
  • MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 483

It may be a trend that has been started. I was at Wrigley this summer, and I had seats that were center stage right off of second base. Granted it was a long night but still no excuse for what I saw, and it took away, for me, from the show. There were a few guys in front of me that were chanting " LETS GO HOME, LETS GO HOME". Come on if you don't want to be there then just go home. Don't wreck the show for others. Same for all those people in DCU and any future shows.
  • GetRight13GetRight13 NY Posts: 575
    another thing that pisses me off about this is these people eat up all the tickets then do this at the shows where alot of us who truley love the band get shut out of tickets. If you are gonna turn your back to the stage, yell at the singer to shut up and play or chant go home. You shouldnt be there. Watch the DVDs or something or wait for the boots. Leave the shows to people who actually want to be there
    2023 Austin 1 & 2
    Ottawa 09/03
    MSG 1 & 2
    2013 Brooklyn (10/18, 10/19) Philadelphia (10/21, 10/22)
    2012 Atlanta 09/22
    2009 Albany 06/08 (Eddie Solo)
    2008 Bonnaroo 6/14
    2006 Albany 05/12
    2005 Philadelphia 10/03
    2000 Saratoga Springs 08/27
  • pjman75pjman75 Indiana Posts: 836
    GetRight13 wrote:
    another thing that pisses me off about this is these people eat up all the tickets then do this at the shows where alot of us who truley love the band get shut out of tickets. If you are gonna turn your back to the stage, yell at the singer to shut up and play or chant go home. You shouldnt be there. Watch the DVDs or something or wait for the boots. Leave the shows to people who actually want to be there

+1
    I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532

45 shows? Maybe you take this stuff too serious. I do the same when I'm at a show. I expect everyone to act like god is on stage. Truth is that a lot of people don't hold PJ in the same light. They are taking in the show like they would any other show they attend. Even if that means acting like assholes.

Side note: Ed does have a way of ruining shows with his talking sometimes
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Yeah Pittsburgh was the same way at times. I actually felt angry at times and disgusted.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    I'd take a 3hour "talky" show with an amazing setlist over a 2hr, over before you blink show, with a ho-hum setlist anyday.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Any concert nowadays has a large percentage of the tickets given to corporate sponsors, radio stations, whatever so those are probably people who got free tickets from friends, etc. I work for a big company and one of our partners has the suite for the Phoenix show and offered me free tix. No thanks! I'd rather be in my nice close 10C seats by the stage.

Anyway - I think that's why you get lots of folks who are indifferent. I love the stage banter personally and think it gives us ALL a break from the decibels.

I used to go berserk on lame concert goers and after enough concerts I've concluded you have to tune it out. They are ALWAYS there at EVERY show.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i just said that to someone the other day. the people at most shows today are talking very loudly like they are the only ones there. why are they there to begin with? to be seen or be at something perceived to be cool. i am there to actually hear the music. very odd concept. hoot holler do what you want at each song break. have respect for others, they paid as much as you. or how about the people who think the show is just for them who continue to wooooo as if the band can hear them throughout songs. very annoying but that is the way it is these days. went to jack johnson 2 weeks ago same thing. why not just go to bar instead listen to a bootleg and let those of us who want to actually hear a show alone.
  • vest71vest71 Posts: 239
    After Reading the reviews from last Night i thought wauv!! Ed sure talked a lot and that is not always good , because he does a lot of ehhmm and ahmmm between words so it feels like forever for him to finish a short story .... Less talk , more rock :mrgreen:
    Burn my eyes and try to blind me
    Bury me so they won't find me
    Try to suck my power empty
    Got no crown of thorns on me
    maj4e wrote:
    I like it when he tells stories. Humanizes the band and he's great at it.

This!

And people, calm down, his stories are hilarious... Did you try to rip apart a polaroid? Rest my case.
    foodboy wrote:
    i just said that to someone the other day. the people at most shows today are talking very loudly like they are the only ones there. why are they there to begin with? to be seen or be at something perceived to be cool. i am there to actually hear the music. very odd concept. hoot holler do what you want at each song break. have respect for others, they paid as much as you. or how about the people who think the show is just for them who continue to wooooo as if the band can hear them throughout songs. very annoying but that is the way it is these days. went to jack johnson 2 weeks ago same thing. why not just go to bar instead listen to a bootleg and let those of us who want to actually hear a show alone.

I always had this at Counting Crows concerted. But they were, well, Counting Crows. (And than it still bugged the hell out of me.) But with PJ? I can't see this. The people who do this have zero respect.

Last year, or two now, I was sitting in an auditorium and it was just Ed on stage. And he talked. He did hid aahhs and ooohs, and everyone listened; you could hear a pin drop. That is respect to the artist. More importantly respect to the music.
    foodboy wrote:

It's a rock concert!

I would venture a guess to say that the talkers are looking at you wondering why you don't lighten up. It's a concert. People get loud at concerts.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • I had a similar experience at the Wrigley rooftop party on Thursday night prior to the show. PJ was sound checking Mother, Off He Goes, and something else and a majority of the people were talking and not listening. This was an exclusive 10Club event. I could not believe it. Granted you couldn't see the band but the sound was phenomenal, even over all the blabbering. I found it very odd.
    A truant finds home and a wish to hold on but theres a trapdoor in the sun Over 20 shows attended, remember at least half
  • majleap3majleap3 Posts: 208
    It's a rock concert!

I would venture a guess to say that the talkers are looking at you wondering why you don't lighten up. It's a concert. People get loud at concerts.[/quote]

You are representative of the people we all hope to not be next to.
    majleap3 wrote:

You are representative of the people we all hope to not be next to.

Is this really what PJ fans have become? Complaining because someone around them at a concert was talking?
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    45 shows? Grateful?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • majleap3majleap3 Posts: 208
    The OP said people were yelling at Ed to shut up and sing. Not cool. But even talking; fuck you can talk to your buddy loudly anytime you want but when you've been waiting 10 years to see this band you wanna hear what they are saying not what some drunk ass fucktard next to you is saying when you can hear that any day of the week.
  • GetRight13GetRight13 NY Posts: 575
    majleap3 wrote:
    The OP said people were yelling at Ed to shut up and sing. Not cool. But even talking; fuck you can talk to your buddy loudly anytime you want but when you've been waiting 10 years to see this band you wanna hear what they are saying not what some drunk ass fucktard next to you is saying when you can hear that any day of the week.

agreed
    2023 Austin 1 & 2
    Ottawa 09/03
    MSG 1 & 2
    2013 Brooklyn (10/18, 10/19) Philadelphia (10/21, 10/22)
    2012 Atlanta 09/22
    2009 Albany 06/08 (Eddie Solo)
    2008 Bonnaroo 6/14
    2006 Albany 05/12
    2005 Philadelphia 10/03
    2000 Saratoga Springs 08/27
  • marc34marc34 Boston MA Posts: 221
    I was in 109 and I felt like me and the 2 people next to me where the only ones rocking out
    Hartford 96
    Mansfield 98 x 2
    Mansfield 00 x2
    Mansfield 03 x 3
    Boston 04 VFC x 2
    Hartford 06
    Boston 06 x 2
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield 08 x 2
    EV Boston 08 x 2
    Hartford 10
    Boston 10
    EV Providence 11
    EV Boston 11
    EV Hartford 11
    Worcester 13 x 2
    Hartford 13
    Buffalo 13
    Baltimore 13
    Fenway 2016 x 2
    Hot Stove 2017
    Fenway 2018 x 2
  • KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    Hopper wrote:

the best part of Ed's solo shows is listening to him talk and interact, albeit one-way, with the crowd...

+1

another reason why I prefer GA...you don't have to deal with the rest of the audience if you're up front.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Hopper wrote:

agreed, I hate shows when the lead singer just shows up, plays the music, and then leaves. (looking at YOU Maynard James Keenan :evil: ) The crowd was pretty pissed...he just didn't seem to want to be there, no interaction with the crowd, no 'thanks for coming to the show', it was a joke.

If you just want to hear the band play songs, then stay home and watch Palladia.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    Obviously you were not at Uniondale when Ed got booed by 3/4 of the audience. I was jumping up and down and screaming yes yes yes....people were pissed at me. Bushleaguer was not popular but I agreed 100%. Pearl Jam did not swing my vote.....I know what I believed already and the people around me were NOT happy with Ed, or with me.
    Now when he gets yelled at to shut up, I just stand quiet and wait for the music to start.

Also in DC when he talked about the lobbyists....I saw people walk out. All I do is smile....if I agree or not. I can make up my own mind.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!