Why doesn't Stone contribute more?

iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
edited October 2013 in The Porch
To the songwriting? They guy writes great songs. The opening lick to Let the Records Play is sick. Wish they'd have developed that song a little better though. His main contribution to the album is one song with collaborative songwriting on Infallible and Pendulum. IMO these are the best songs on the album sans Get Away by Ed.

Too much Ed, more Stone. Anyone else agree? I will also add that Jeff's bass playing came alive with this album which = awesome. Decent album overall but could have been a lot better I think considering a 4 year wait.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    this album has to much Jeff and i love it

band knows better their job i trust them..

now,why eddie solo style songs make it to the album?same as Backspacer?..

im not sure we will even find out why
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    Stone has credits on Infallilble and Pendulum too
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    edited October 2013

I know some fans think the band should move forward and not look back but I think insert a good classic sounding Pearl Jam rocker where you go 'Damn that's Pearl Jam' instead of Sleeping By Myself and you have a much better album.
    Post edited by iOnlyownMymind on
  • Stone has credits on Infallilble and Pendulum too

I mentioned that in my first post.
  • Don't they decide as a band what makes it and what doesn't?
    Happy up here in my tree
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    maybe this is why he looked completely bored out of his mind on stage saturday in Buffalo? I hope not...

I know some fans think the band should move forward and not look back but I think insert a good classic sounding Pearl Jam rocker where you go 'Damn that's Pearl Jam' instead of Sleeping By Myself and you have a much better album.
    we agree,i think most does
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    maybe this is why he looked completely bored out of his mind on stage saturday in Buffalo? I hope not...

Someone else said that he didn't even look at the crowd all that much... :?
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    To the songwriting? They guy writes great songs. The opening lick to Let the Records Play is sick. Wish they'd have developed that song a little better though. His main contribution to the album is one song with collaborative songwriting on Infallible and Pendulum. IMO these are the best songs on the album sans Get Away by Ed.

Too much Ed, more Stone. Anyone else agree? I will also add that Jeff's bass playing came alive with this album which = awesome. Decent album overall but could have been a lot better I think considering a 4 year wait.

Probably the most spot on review of this album.

Wind this thing up.

• beakbeak Posts: 148

I always thought that about Stone playing live until being front row, directly in front of him in Pittsburgh. He's not as animated as the others nor does he show much emotion. But one thing I noticed is his eyes are everywhere and he absorbs it all. He reacts and smiles subtly and definitely enjoyed himself and appreciated Friday night.... It's just not obvious. Especially from afar.
    www.NickBpt.com
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    I think it's because he keeps the best for himself.

See: Battle Cry :D
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    He still mad at Ed for blaming him for everything :lol::lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    He still mad at Ed for blaming him for everything :lol::lol:
    :lol:
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    Stone has credits on Infallilble and Pendulum too

I feel this is evidence to the support the idea that Stone needs to get more songs on a cd. These are great songs! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    One of my favorite Stone moments is him singing Don't gimmie no lip....then just going back to his spot....and shuffling around.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Stone who?

:mrgreen:
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    You guys all have to read this thread, with Stone interview.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=220100&p=5282957#p5282957
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    jumbojet wrote:

Indeed. He is still interested, the guy is a prolific song writer. Not every idea of his or the other guys will make an album. He might not get full credits for alot of songs but you can bet he has a major part to play in each song on the album. Just because he doesn't throw 1000 picks out a gig doesn't mean he isn't enjoying himself :lol::lol::lol::lol:

This interview is a fascinating read.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • jumbojet wrote:

That is an excellent read. Thank you.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    He throws picks, they just don't actually make it out to the crowd :?
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    boyo79 wrote:
    jumbojet wrote:

Indeed. He is still interested, the guy is a prolific song writer. Not every idea of his or the other guys will make an album. He might not get full credits for alot of songs but you can bet he has a major part to play in each song on the album. Just because he doesn't throw 1000 picks out a gig doesn't mean he isn't enjoying himself :lol::lol::lol::lol:

This interview is a fascinating read.

I agree with you here. I think Stone is kinda the glue on a lot of songs that he doesnt get credited on. Recall that short video of Mike describing how he wrote Given to FLy, (I think it was in Pj20?) where he called Stone and Stone helped him transition into the chorus or bridge.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • maybe this is why he looked completely bored out of his mind on stage saturday in Buffalo? I hope not...

Does he ever get visibly into it though? Usually he's just up there chillin, not jumping around or anything.
  • In that interview he says "I didn’t write as much on this record as maybe I would’ve liked to. I mean, I always want to write more."

Well Stone, I certainly agree.
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    He was very different on stage with Brad in the tiny venues they played over here earlier this year - dancing, coming to the front of the stage, playing bongos, grinning,laughing and defo interacting with the crowd. It was really nice to see, I guess because he plays a different role in that band.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Stinkfoot wrote:
    I think it's because he keeps the best for himself.

See: Battle Cry :D

Great album. Stone hit one out of the park with Moonlander
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    This is a good thread.
    I've been thinking about this myself lately. its gotta be weird for him to go from front and center on the music writing on the early stuff to getting what, 3 song credits on this new one. Also
    the most successful (to the masses) PJ songs have mostly been his stuff. Thats a fascinating interview and he's being very diplomatic there but I wonder how he really feels about having to relinquish so much influence within the band. Intriguing.