My opinion has changed - Lightning Bolt is an awesome record

AdamcadoAdamcado Posts: 74
edited October 2013 in The Porch
Listening to the physical copy on decent speakers...it sounds amazing...

Sleeping By Myself is the only weak track in my opinion...
In a former forum life I was Cropduster84
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    I agree...Lightning Bolt is amazing. I knew it after my first listen through that I really loved it. Now about seven or eight times around my opinion hasn't changed. A great album.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,074
    After about 20 listens, I gave it a break for a few days, listened to some truly great albums such as Zeppelin II, U2's Achtung Baby, Green Day's American Idiot, No code, and then returned to LB. Didn't help. It's worse than ever; a very medicore effort, I hate to say.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    After about 20 listens, I gave it a break for a few days, listened to some truly great albums such as Zeppelin II, U2's Achtung Baby, Green Day's American Idiot, No code, and then returned to LB. Didn't help. It's worse than ever; a very medicore effort, I hate to say.

I hate American Idiot and love Lightning Bolt. To each his own.
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    bicyclejoe wrote:

It should sound golden after listening to 'American Idiot.'
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,781
    bicyclejoe wrote:

American Idiot is garbage
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• After listening to it streaming 5 or 6 times, I think it is the best album since yield and maybe no code. I think Infallible and pendulum are really good, and if sbm is the worst song, that is quite an improvement.
  • american idiot? after listening to LB quite a few times i think only Vs and Vitalogy surpass it.i love this freakin album. Yield is close but im loving LB
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    right now, I am in love with this album. We have been spending lots of time together lately and she has been making me feel good and revitalized.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,691
    I love the album too. Every time i listen to it, i seem to change my mind as to my favourite song. Currently its Swallowed Whole
    Kearnsy
  • I've remained mum on my opinions, wanted to let it marinate for a bit. After listening to the record about 15 times, I think it's utterly fantastic. I love that this band is still willing to take risks, and to challenge themselves to grow.

I don't understand the hate for SBM. I think it's a lovely tune, and it's a chance for Matt to try some gentler drumming than we're all used to. At the moment, the only thing on the record I would change is the intro/outro piano on Future Days. It's pretty superfluous to the rest of the song, and sort of bookends this beautiful sentiment with something that sounds sort of contrived. Otherwise, these tracks just keep getting better and better for me.
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    bicyclejoe wrote:

The first time albums make sense...but American Idiot?!? :?
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • i like SBM as well. quite a good bit actually. im not sure i could skip a track on this cd.
  • SpokenJeremySpokenJeremy Posts: 604
    edited October 2013
    bicyclejoe wrote:

I tend to agree with you, except about American Idiot. I still think LB is mediocre, however, after listening to this CD version, I do see some merit in it. It's more of an album of intricacies, rather than the usual live sounding PJ album. They clearly spent more time editing and polishing this one than any other so it doesn't have that raw edge I think a lot of people like about this band. It's still PJ, just different, but I agree this is far from my favorite.
    Post edited by SpokenJeremy on
    Intelligence is the key and she was locked out

Let's Just Pop a Few Yards of Bubble Wrap and Call It a Day!

Don't Die Wondering

• Really like Getaway, Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt, Infalliable, Pendulum, and Let The Records Play. Kinda indifferent towards the other six tunes.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Really like Getaway, Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt, Infalliable, Pendulum, and Let The Records Play. Kinda indifferent towards the other six tunes.

Kind of where I am, but I would add My Fathers Son. That and the 6 tracks you mentioned are dynamite.

Kind of like Sirens and Sleeping by Myself.

Swallowed Whole, Yellow Moon, and Future Days kind of bore me.
  • vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 466
    Really like Getaway, Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt, Infalliable, Pendulum, and Let The Records Play. Kinda indifferent towards the other six tunes.

Exactly the same...although Sirens has grown on me, especially after the Steve Gleason piece on ESPN

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • To a previous poster, American Idiot, and Green Day as a whole, is terrible. LB is a good record. Not my favorite but I want to give the black circle a spin once I get it to fully realize this album. Upon first and second listen there are several really good songs and can't wait to hear them live. That's when the real decision can be made.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    It's being played a lot... not getting sick of it ... SBM has gone from persona non grata to acceptable.Still have not gotten there with Future Days..

The rest is really making me happy. Swallowed Whole is my current riser.
    Kids love, I mean love, Getaway.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,584
    I think 'sleeping by myself' is a great song. I just can't figure out the hate for that one. The only song I'd axe on this album would be 'let the records play'. And as silly as that song is, at least it has it's moments. But really, it just sounds like a song that should've been a b-side.
    Love this album.
  • On my 6th listen and I'm really loving it. It's quite diverse and some of the songs break new ground for PJ. This is what I want from my favourite bands. I have their other albums so I don't want carbon copies.

Thanks Pearl Jam for another great album. Now top it by announcing a proper U.K. tour!

Please?
    Happy up here in my tree
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    bicyclejoe wrote:

American Idiot is garbage

:lol:

When your right your right.
    Smells like Green Day!
    Flush that "Dookie" and make it go "Kerplunk"

American Idiot is a shortcut to thinking!
    Shame on you..... :fp:
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• smarchee wrote:
    right now, I am in love with this album. We have been spending lots of time together lately and she has been making me feel good and revitalized.

Totally agree!!!