Options

Where's the love for Future Days?

13»

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    why don't you all write a love song, with sentiment, cheese and gluten free, and we all see how good it is and how well it works? why don't you all send your CV as a lyric-writing consultant for Eddie Vedder? Yeah, sure you can teach Ed how to write a song...

We all have our own day jobs and natural gifts. We all have better and more productive days at work than others. I can't write a song as good as Eddie but I bet there are a lot of things he couldn't do at my job either (although it would be tougher for me to pick-up songwriting than Ed accounting).

Would you use your same argument with Nickleback songs, Brittany Spears songs, etc...? They are pros so they are automatically great songs?
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    Lets face it...it's a chick song! And if this means maybe FD getting a little radio play (i.e. Just Breathe) to get more girls to a sausage fest we call a PJ show, than I'm all in!
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!

It just hit me. This is the song it reminds me of.

If you value your sanity, do not click this link.

:? Your mind works in mysterious ways. :lol:

I'm not hearing this -- doesn't mean you aren't, of course.

I'm not hearing that either. at ALL.

And on my 5th or 6th listen, I am actually liking Future Days more and more. All though I already liked it from my first listen. Romantic sentiment isn't automatic cheese. Please refer back to Rough Mix album.

ALSO.
    If you WERE to HEAR THAT,
    HEAR THIS VERSION
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238

You're both living in denial. Those piano intros sound exactly alike.

EXACTLY ALIKE.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    anyone else hearing Chloe Dancer in the begining with the piano? or is it just me :?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JTH wrote:

You're both living in denial. Those piano intros sound exactly alike.

EXACTLY ALIKE.

seriously, NOT. they are both intros, i'll give you that much of a similarity.
    but I can't deny the pop-sensibility or outright rock-prowess of a woman who turns a dancefloor hit in to an balls out stage bouncer with a pink triple-humbucker SG ... played live (not faked) ... for real. Courtney Love got nothin' on this. :D

(if you listen closely to the end, you can hear hints of Life Wasted ... :D :corn: :D]
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    The thing about Ed sentimental love songs is that they often still carry a little bit of darkness with them. This isn't "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?"

This song is: I fear this relationship is falling to pieces, and the only thing that keeps me going is this idea that I can still envision us together on the other side of the storm.

I haven't given up on the future, even when the present looks its bleakest. I think unspoken in that lyric is the flip side: the day I can no longer plausibly convince myself those "future days of you and me" are still out there is the day I finally give up.

I swear to God, I've felt this song every single day for the past two years. Probably before Ed even sat down to write it.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    If you could see the perpetual party in my pants since hearing this record, you'd see where some of the love for Future Days is. Just saying. And, no, this isn't an invitation....but it is gross!
  • Options
    love the song. great vocals. love the piano and violin. man i freaking love this album!!!'
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    LB is such a wild trip of 5 or 6 totally different styles that Future Days to me is like the calm AFTER the storm. Like an end credits tune to a great film. Im not a fanatic that loves every song and every album but thats how it hits me. Love it
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    cp3iverson wrote:
    LB is such a wild trip of 5 or 6 totally different styles that Future Days to me is like the calm AFTER the storm. Like an end credits tune to a great film. Im not a fanatic that loves every song and every album but thats how it hits me. Love it

Upon first listen, I agree with this take. It was like WTF just happened for the past hr (not that I didn't like it, I'm just left a little overwhelmed).
  • Options
    BubbaBubba Posts: 630
    I remember hearing it live at Wrigley with my fiancée. She turned to me and was like "I really like this song, maybe we can use that for our wedding?" So she has just been waiting to hear the actual studio version before making her decision, so that being said, I don't mind the fact that I will be dancing to that song with my future wife in 4 months.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    cp3iverson wrote:

This is a good way to put it.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    I like it. Waaaay better than what we heard at Wrigley.
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Bubba wrote:
    I remember hearing it live at Wrigley with my fiancée. She turned to me and was like "I really like this song, maybe we can use that for our wedding?" So she has just been waiting to hear the actual studio version before making her decision, so that being said, I don't mind the fact that I will be dancing to that song with my future wife in 4 months.

Heard it at Wrigley with my fiance as well. Was difficult to appreciate it as much at Wrigley, but now after the studio version and seeing the lyrics it will be used as our first dance, exactly one year after the Wrigley show, replacing, "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" cover. This band just has a way of writing perfect songs for the perfect time in my life. I can get peoples dislike for the song, hell when I was single I would have hated a song like this too, but for those of us who've had rocky pasts and have found love, it is a great song.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    So they played this song in Buffalo. Boom did not play the outro part. That was a good move.

I didn't hate it.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    JTH wrote:
    So they played this song in Buffalo. Boom did not play the outro part. That was a good move.

I didn't hate it.

yeah I noticed that too, I agree good move
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    BubbaBubba Posts: 630
    pureoc wrote:
    Bubba wrote:

Heard it at Wrigley with my fiance as well. Was difficult to appreciate it as much at Wrigley, but now after the studio version and seeing the lyrics it will be used as our first dance, exactly one year after the Wrigley show, replacing, "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" cover. This band just has a way of writing perfect songs for the perfect time in my life. I can get peoples dislike for the song, hell when I was single I would have hated a song like this too, but for those of us who've had rocky pasts and have found love, it is a great song.

Awesome!! Congrats on the wedding!! Yeah as soon as we heard it at Wrigley we both turned to each other and were like "hmmm that has potential, even more so now hearing the studio version.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    It's a very good song, but sometimes I don't feel like listening to it. I'll play the whole album and stop it at the end of yellow Moon, then start all over again. If I listen to FD then it almost brings me down a little, lol. It's like following Yellow Ledbetter with Just Breathe. It doesn't work. But like I said, it's a very good song.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    smarchee wrote:
    JTH wrote:

I didn't hate it.

yeah I noticed that too, I agree good move

Yeah, I don't mind the piano at the beginning...but it kinda kills the song at the end. Still would rather here this song in Seattle than Just Breathe.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    I have only heard the Wrigley version, but I absolutely love the song. First time I heard it, it brought tears to my eyes-just lovely! :clap:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    "I believe
    And I believe cause I can see
    Our future days
    Days of you and me "

sometimes a song captures a feeling you have and just nails it. gave me chills hearing it for the first time at Wrigley, more chills in Buffalo, and sounds great on the album
  • Options
    I'm feeling the love I think its a great song. Springsteenesque to my ears. Love the violin in it. Was expecting an abortion of a song after reading some negative stuff on here.
    Happy up here in my tree