online dating?

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i'm gonna go ahead and be a realist right here and say...

dating, online or otherwise, fucking sucks...

i have had my fill of online dating, nobody even reads my profile. they just look at my pics, see i am a decent lookin guy with zero baggage, and message me. as if a lot of them have a chance or something... :fp:

not to sound mean, but i know what i want. and the vast majority of the women that contact me, are not what i want.

at this point, i would rather be alone... at least when i am alone, only i can screw myself over. that way i don't have to become a victim of other people's drama, which happens to me all the time...

am i jaded?? yep, pretty much.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Suziemay wrote:
    She said she had a panic attack but it sounds like she realised her mistake (she sent the text to you and not her friend) and she couldn't face up to it.
    This is what I'm thinking. Run the other way. Think about it, if that was how your first date went down, even if she was telling you the truth, do you really want to see where this will go? And if she was telling the truth, she should have called you and offered to pay for her half of dinner. Or something. I don't see any goodwill gesture on her part.

yeah i'm pretty sure that is exactly what happened. Not sure why cause it wasn't really bad.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    Suziemay wrote:
    She said she had a panic attack but it sounds like she realised her mistake (she sent the text to you and not her friend) and she couldn't face up to it.
    This is what I'm thinking. Run the other way. Think about it, if that was how your first date went down, even if she was telling you the truth, do you really want to see where this will go? And if she was telling the truth, she should have called you and offered to pay for her half of dinner. Or something. I don't see any goodwill gesture on her part.

yeah i'm pretty sure that is exactly what happened. Not sure why cause it wasn't really bad.
    Probably a little immature. She probably spent the whole time in the bathroom texting her friend about her "mistake" and said friend told her to bolt. Don't spend anymore time or money with her, in my opinion!
  • I tried it once, and I'll NEVER do it again. Spoke with this guy, and actually met him once. Went to meet up to go mini golfing or bowling, or the movies. Made the mistake of going in his car. We were closer to where he lived. He didn't know where any of the above were. While asking some people; the dumb fuck hit a pole right down the length of his SUV right up to my window. Made the mistake of going to a bar, and then he wanted to bet while playing pool. He wanted a kiss if he won. I won a game and he of course beat me 2 out of 3. He was on the frigging attack. Hands all over me, lifting me up of the ground... We finally left, and he drove right by my car where I met him, then he gets out of the car, and opened my door. Thank God a couple of guys started walking towards us. All I could think is that I didn't want to get him mad. Then he drove me to the car. I got out and got into my car. I don't think I've ever driven as fast as I did......

I was already set up to meet someone my sister's husband knew the next day. Met him, went out for a year, and I'm in no damn hurry to date anytime soon. Totally lost my trust in men....

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • I tried it once, and I'll NEVER do it again. Spoke with this guy, and actually met him once. Went to meet up to go mini golfing or bowling, or the movies. Made the mistake of going in his car. We were closer to where he lived. He didn't know where any of the above were. While asking some people; the dumb fuck hit a pole right down the length of his SUV right up to my window. Made the mistake of going to a bar, and then he wanted to bet while playing pool. He wanted a kiss if he won. I won a game and he of course beat me 2 out of 3. He was on the frigging attack. Hands all over me, lifting me up of the ground... We finally left, and he drove right by my car where I met him, then he gets out of the car, and opened my door. Thank God a couple of guys started walking towards us. All I could think is that I didn't want to get him mad. Then he drove me to the car. I got out and got into my car. I don't think I've ever driven as fast as I did......

I was already set up to meet someone my sister's husband knew the next day. Met him, went out for a year, and I'm in no damn hurry to date anytime soon. Totally lost my trust in men....

Maybe it's your taste in men you shouldn't trust ;)
  • i have NO idea how to do regular, in-life dating. i think if i ever found myself trying to date on-line, i would be in far worse shape. that said, my oldest sister met her current beau (basically her third husband tho they both have given up on marriage) via online dating, and my bro-in-law met his wife via an online dating/meet-up activity thing, so i say if youre open to it - who knows? good things can happen anytime, anywhere.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    i have NO idea how to do regular, in-life dating. i think if i ever found myself trying to date on-line, i would be in far worse shape. that said, my oldest sister met her current beau (basically her third husband tho they both have given up on marriage) via online dating, and my bro-in-law met his wife via an online dating/meet-up activity thing, so i say if youre open to it - who knows? good things can happen anytime, anywhere.

Hi D2D :) Been a long time girl! Miss you!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    I think i've given up on online dating and dating in general. Was chatting with this one girl and we seemed to get along fine decided to meet and everything went well. she said she wanted to meet again and so i text and call her and no response back. It has to be me. I tend to give off weird/awkward vibes when I meet people in person. I'm fine online but in person I guess not :( . That's about the 5th time online that this has happened. Also has happened on the boards as well. Met 3 women from here (just as friends) and everyhting seemed to go ok but when i tried to contact them again they ignored me. :roll: Must be me.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    I think i've given up on online dating and dating in general. Was chatting with this one girl and we seemed to get along fine decided to meet and everything went well. she said she wanted to meet again and so i text and call her and no response back. It has to be me. I tend to give off weird/awkward vibes when I meet people in person. I'm fine online but in person I guess not :( . That's about the 5th time online that this has happened. Also has happened on the boards as well. Met 3 women from here (just as friends) and everyhting seemed to go ok but when i tried to contact them again they ignored me. :roll: Must be me.
    dude, it's not you. we are all awkward.

the real explanation is simple... people are fucked up.

nobody knows what they want in someone they want to date. and when they find what they do want, they don't snatch it up for some reason. they keep looking for the next great person to date. they leave their profiles open waiting for someone else or someone better to contact them. i don't know whether it is for the attention, out of boredom, or whatever...

when i meet a great person online, i deactivate my profile out of respect. not everyone is like me i guess....that is the problem with meeting women online. online, people can play and pretend to be whoever they want to be. because they can, and people like you and i would never know the difference....they can misrepresent themselves. in 2009 and most of 2010 i was royally fucked over by someone on here. like totally screwed over. she does not post here anymore, so i am ok bringing it up. just keep in mind, people you meet online may not always be who they seem, and that is transparent and obvious when you meet in person.

i was on plenty of fish at one point. actually at several points.... :oops: :oops: it is cutthroat on there. there is like 50 dudes to every woman. and just when you are "in there" with a woman that seems to dig you, some other guy, that is better looking, has more money, has a better job, or whatever, swoops in like a pterdactyl and snatches her up and you never hear from her again. it is very, very hard to compete on a website like that. personally i do waaay better meeting people in person. i guess being in a band helps too sometimes...as well as being pretty hot.... ;)

my advice, if you choose to take it... is to get on some kind of pay dating site. everyone does pof because it is free, and frankly, you get what you pay for.... i have met a ton of duds on that site... if you are more discriminating, get on a pay site or join some adult activity group that goes out and does stuff like wine tasting or cooking, or golf or something.

keep your chin up.

you are too good of a dude to let these women bring you down. just tell yourself that they don't deserve you and that you are better off without them. most times, in my life, when women fuck off they are doing me a favor. don't let it get you down or get you frustrated. having ZERO expectations is the best way to approach it. if you have expectations, it is a recipe for heartbreak and disaster...

i am thinking, that when the time is right, your girl is gonna find you. i am not looking, and when i am not looking or when i have given up is when i get found... just be patient.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

nobody knows what they want in someone they want to date. and when they find what they do want, they don't snatch it up for some reason. they keep looking for the next great person to date. they leave their profiles open waiting for someone else or someone better to contact them. i don't know whether it is for the attention, out of boredom, or whatever...

when i meet a great person online, i deactivate my profile out of respect. not everyone is like me i guess....that is the problem with meeting women online. online, people can play and pretend to be whoever they want to be. because they can, and people like you and i would never know the difference....they can misrepresent themselves. in 2009 and most of 2010 i was royally fucked over by someone on here. like totally screwed over. she does not post here anymore, so i am ok bringing it up. just keep in mind, people you meet online may not always be who they seem, and that is transparent and obvious when you meet in person.

i was on plenty of fish at one point. actually at several points.... :oops: :oops: it is cutthroat on there. there is like 50 dudes to every woman. and just when you are "in there" with a woman that seems to dig you, some other guy, that is better looking, has more money, has a better job, or whatever, swoops in like a pterdactyl and snatches her up and you never hear from her again. it is very, very hard to compete on a website like that. personally i do waaay better meeting people in person. i guess being in a band helps too sometimes...as well as being pretty hot.... ;)

my advice, if you choose to take it... is to get on some kind of pay dating site. everyone does pof because it is free, and frankly, you get what you pay for.... i have met a ton of duds on that site... if you are more discriminating, get on a pay site or join some adult activity group that goes out and does stuff like wine tasting or cooking, or golf or something.

keep your chin up.

you are too good of a dude to let these women bring you down. just tell yourself that they don't deserve you and that you are better off without them. most times, in my life, when women fuck off they are doing me a favor. don't let it get you down or get you frustrated. having ZERO expectations is the best way to approach it. if you have expectations, it is a recipe for heartbreak and disaster...

i am thinking, that when the time is right, your girl is gonna find you. i am not looking, and when i am not looking or when i have given up is when i get found... just be patient.

yeah, what ^he^ said!

I just canceled my Match.com membership. I never ever log on and just didn't feel like going thru all that again.
    I went on a few good dates.........

• SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

keep your chin up.

I agree with gimmesometruth27.
    From what I can tell from both of your guys' postings, you seem like really cool guys (eeriepadave and gimmesometruth27). Give it some time...both of you will find the right woman (hopefully not the same woman).
    ELITIST FUK
    SD48277 wrote:
    From what I can tell from both of your guys' postings, you seem like really cool guys (eeriepadave and gimmesometruth27). Give it some time...both of you will find the right woman (hopefully not the same woman).
    thanks!

i'm probably awkwardly different in person from what i am on here though... :fp: :fp:

knowing my luck as of late, it will be the same one and eeriepadave is gonna get her :D

and i also wanted to ask eeriepadave this question.

would you really want to be with a woman who treats you like these women did? hell no. you deserve so much better than that.

• SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    SD48277 wrote:
    thanks!

i'm probably awkwardly different in person from what i am on here though... :fp: :fp:

knowing my luck as of late, it will be the same one and eeriepadave is gonna get her :D

and i also wanted to ask eeriepadave this question.

would you really want to be with a woman who treats you like these women did? hell no. you deserve so much better than that.

Yes! I completely agree with ^^^ that last statement.

Ummm...I think I have cornered the market on socially awkward. I don't even try online dating--the thought of it freaks me out. I am too awkwardly shy for that (not to mention, I could not imagine writing a profile of myself :shock: :oops: ).
    ELITIST FUK
    SD48277 wrote:
    Yes! I completely agree with ^^^ that last statement.

Ummm...I think I have cornered the market on socially awkward. I don't even try online dating--the thought of it freaks me out. I am too awkwardly shy for that (not to mention, I could not imagine writing a profile of myself :shock: :oops: ).
    writing the profile is the easy part. do what most people do. lie your ass off and post a pic from 7 or 8 years ago when you were 20 lbs lighter... :fp:

just kidding.

if i had any success at it i would tell ya how to write a good one. but apparently i suck at it too lol...

in mine, am deadly honest and up front about who i am and what i am looking for in a woman though. i refuse to misrepresent myself in my profile. just as a courtesy so the women know what they are potentially getting themselves in to :lol::lol:

what i find is most women look at my profile, see my pics and see that i have no baggage, and message me without even reading the profile :fp: :nono: :nono: it is VERY annoying..

:lol::lol::lol:

Man Who Has Something Seriously Wrong With Him On A Fundamental Level Leaves That Part Off OKCupid Profile

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-wh ... :2:Default

Man Who Has Something Seriously Wrong With Him On A Fundamental Level Leaves That Part Off OKCupid Profile

BOSTON—Upon reviewing his public profile on the dating website OKCupid, local man Malcolm Lighty, 34, told reporters Thursday that he had decided to omit the fact that he has profound and irresolvable psychological and emotional problems. “I didn’t want to include anything too personal, like the deep-seated mental issues that have always prevented me from connecting with another human being,” said Lighty, who reportedly concluded it was “best not to mention” that he is a seriously troubled man in need of professional help. “These profiles are just meant to introduce us, anyway. Later, we can get into the parts of my personality—like how my mother and father’s lack of empathy forever stunted my emotional development, and how I have a pathological fear of sexual intercourse—that get in the way of having meaningful relationships with women. For now, I’m just keeping things short and sweet.” Lighty later confirmed that he had been matched up with Kelly Caldwell, a woman who reportedly left off her profile that she is extremely attracted to damaged, unhinged men.

:fp: :fp: :lol::lol:

• morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    ^^^^ :lol::lol::lol:

I check out internet dating every now & then but have pretty well given up tbh, it/something'll happen if & when it happens. A friend helped me re-write my profile a while ago & she definitely had me write less rather than more, enough to get people interested & not so much there's nothing left to ask. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
    I've met some really great people doing online dating.

I can honestly say I'm still great friends/super duper close friends, with all but one person I met (and dated) "online".

My situation (single/divorced mom) didn't always lend itself to being a "girlfriend", my kids will always come first, and then Pearl Jam/QOTSA (some men just don't understand this variable in a relationship).
    Happy to say that I can call anyone of these ex's at any time and pick up "as friends" where we left off :)

yeah the pearl jam thing is a barrier for me with women. the ones i meet, aside from those on here, don't get it. they view it as immature.

this is a subculture that i am a part of. i belong here. therefore, i am going to see as many shows as i can and meet as many people at the shows as i can.

at pj20 and the wrigley weekend, i was in my element. all of the women there "get it", and i made some pretty good friendships those weekends. but that is as far as it ever got....

but hell, if i am going to travel to see this band, it is important to me that if i am dating someone, that they are as into it as i am. it would not be fair of me to drag a women to a few shows that only knows betterman....

i am thinking that if i don't meet someone at a pearl jam show, i will be single forever... :fp:

• jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484

Man, dont get those personally. Women live by the moment and they have large swings of changing mood. You talk about no responses from women or they seem to ignore you. Do you think they do these only to you?

I always see it with my wife, one of her best friends would call and she wouldnt pick up. She wouldnt want to talk about one subject and wouldnt answer a friend's messages, at all. And next time they meet, they would hug each other like they didnt see each other in years.

You cannot even know how many times they cancel at each other. Like in last minute. Like for no reason, at all. MAny other stuff like these. Women like roller-coaster kinds of relationships. Good friends, best friends, they still give each other presents like every month. Do you remember the last time you bought a present to your buddy?

What I mean is, dont take these things personally, like there should be smtg wrong with you. Women do these do their friends, their families, they'll easily do these things to some person from the net. It is just women nature. Nothing to do about it.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
    yeah the pearl jam thing is a barrier for me with women. the ones i meet, aside from those on here, don't get it. they view it as immature.

this is a subculture that i am a part of. i belong here. therefore, i am going to see as many shows as i can and meet as many people at the shows as i can.

at pj20 and the wrigley weekend, i was in my element. all of the women there "get it", and i made some pretty good friendships those weekends. but that is as far as it ever got....

but hell, if i am going to travel to see this band, it is important to me that if i am dating someone, that they are as into it as i am. it would not be fair of me to drag a women to a few shows that only knows betterman....

i am thinking that if i don't meet someone at a pearl jam show, i will be single forever... :fp:

Wrigley...............wow! What a weekend. I actually met someone in a BAR (not online)!

• shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    jumbojet wrote:

Man, dont get those personally. Women live by the moment and they have large swings of changing mood. You talk about no responses from women or they seem to ignore you. Do you think they do these only to you?

I always see it with my wife, one of her best friends would call and she wouldnt pick up. She wouldnt want to talk about one subject and wouldnt answer a friend's messages, at all. And next time they meet, they would hug each other like they didnt see each other in years.

You cannot even know how many times they cancel at each other. Like in last minute. Like for no reason, at all. MAny other stuff like these. Women like roller-coaster kinds of relationships. Good friends, best friends, they still give each other presents like every month. Do you remember the last time you bought a present to your buddy?

What I mean is, dont take these things personally, like there should be smtg wrong with you. Women do these do their friends, their families, they'll easily do these things to some person from the net. It is just women nature. Nothing to do about it.

:fp:
    did you see me? i saw you.
    PJPixie wrote:
    Wrigley...............wow! What a weekend. I actually met someone in a BAR (not online)!
    yeah me too. but that is not odd for me. i always do better in person. my personality translates better when people can actually see me instead of reading what i type...

PJPixie wrote:
    yeah me too. but that is not odd for me. i always do better in person. my personality translates better when people can actually see me instead of reading what i type...

:) Yeah.....I totally get that. And, lot's of alcohol surely made for an interesting night/morning. Two months later and we still talk/text all the time, however distance is rough. He's in Chicago, I'm in LA.........and really, I didn't expect for the "talking" to continue once I came home to LA, but he's super cool..............and kinda like me (not so sure of my 'girlfriend material' status), he is not boyfriend material. I get that vibe from him in kind of the same way I put that vibe out - I'd rather be "friends", I'm not sure if that's a defense mechanism for me? I never put myself out there, just kinda blend in............

So yeah, I was surprised our talking and texting has continued......I don't really think it will ever be a relationship but it's fun and keeps my mind busy.....he has talked about coming out to CA for a visit................lol, weird.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I still might just take a break from dating for awhile. Get my head clear and whatnot, if it happens that i meet someone great, but i'm not betting on it :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I still might just take a break from dating for awhile. Get my head clear and whatnot, if it happens that i meet someone great, but i'm not betting on it :lol:

...........when you least expect it..........it will happen ;)

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    PJPixie wrote:
    PJPixie wrote:

:) Yeah.....I totally get that. And, lot's of alcohol surely made for an interesting night/morning. Two months later and we still talk/text all the time, however distance is rough. He's in Chicago, I'm in LA.........and really, I didn't expect for the "talking" to continue once I came home to LA, but he's super cool..............and kinda like me (not so sure of my 'girlfriend material' status), he is not boyfriend material. I get that vibe from him in kind of the same way I put that vibe out - I'd rather be "friends", I'm not sure if that's a defense mechanism for me? I never put myself out there, just kinda blend in............

So yeah, I was surprised our talking and texting has continued......I don't really think it will ever be a relationship but it's fun and keeps my mind busy.....he has talked about coming out to CA for a visit................lol, weird.

what does your husband cutback have to say about all this? :think: ;)
    PJPixie wrote:

...........when you least expect it..........it will happen ;)

maybe, hopefully soon ;)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    edited September 2013
    norm wrote:

what does your husband cutback have to say about all this? :think: ;)

crap :/ Busted! lol :)
    Post edited by PJPixie on

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    :lol::lol:
    PJPixie wrote:

funny, our situations were kind of similar with distance and continuing to text and stuff.

i think that is pretty common in the pearl jam community because all of us are such a passionate, outgoing, and fun group of people.

but in the end mine did not work out.

it is nice to know that someone is thinking about you from that far away, even when they have all of the things in their daily life wherever they are, that are taking up a lot of their time. it is nice to get that text sometimes.

as long as you two are on the same page as to what exactly is the nature of your relationship it can be a good thing for you. be sure you clarify the meaning of "friends" and what you two expect from each other. and if you can do that, then this can be a good thing for you. you can always go back to chicago if you want to, and he can go there if you want him to. we all need an excuse to travel and go someplace new sometimes i think.