Goddamn it, Sirens!

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Goddamn it, Sirens......

the more the hate,the more i fuckin love you

Mike....Eddie.....Masterpiece.!!!!

fuck yeah..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I wonder if this conversation happened?

Band minus Mike: "Mike, the first two singles will be your songs, MYM and Sirens."

Mike: "Great! Thanks gu..."

Band minus Mike: "On one condition. You have to do all of the interviews."

Mike is a good interview though. Gives some good insights.
  • Options
    I wonder if this conversation happened?

Band minus Mike: "Mike, the first two singles will be your songs, MYM and Sirens."

Mike: "Great! Thanks gu..."

Band minus Mike: "On one condition. You have to do all of the interviews."

Mike is a good interview though. Gives some good insights.
    :lol::lol::lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,160
    eddiec wrote:
    My wife(not a big PJ fan) was humming this yesterday after hearing my repeated listens. It sticks with you. I really like this song.
    My wife walked into the house tonight...
    I was serenading her with this song...

If I should go, I want you to know....Blah blah blah..
    She listened to me... Gave me an awkward look...And then had this to say...

"You're an idiot."
    ahhh to be in love...

would have liked to have seen this...

:lol::lol:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Just gave it my third listen and this really is a great song. Good for PJ for continuing to show their talent and creating something that is completely different than most of any material they have ever came out with.

And you just know they are holding on until the release for the more experimental and rocking tunes to appease the die hards.

I really do think we're in store for a very diverse, great album.

To quote Jeff once again from PJ Twenty - "We always wanted to be a chameleon type of band, like a Zeppelin or Pink Floyd and not one distinct sound."
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,160

Well I believe you now! ;-)

You know, its funny....I said yesterday after listening 2 or 3 times it was the (IMHO) best thing the band had done in the last 10+ years if not more, and people said I was off my rocker....I stick with what I said... already in MY top 5 ever... :-)
    Ok here ya go...
    SPEEDY talking to you...
    SPEEDY being serious(Which doesnt happen often)

Much like what Unthought Known did for me.
    This song just makes me look at my/our mortality. It makes me think of our short time on Earth. It makes me think of my folks, and how much it kills me to deal with their ill health the last few years. These lyrics make me realize just how precious our lives are. I could go on and on, but I think you know what I am getting at.

Life is short.
    Enjoy every precious moment you have.
    Don't be afraid to tell your loved ones that you love them.

Now go ahead and fall off your computer chair after reading all that.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    speedy i couldn't have said it any better. we talked about this song the other night, and i am on the same page as you are. i have never had such an emotional connection with a song right off the bat. going back to 10 when i was in high school, i had a connection with black right away because when i got that cassette i had just broken up with my first real girlfriend and i was crushed and then black really hit me. this song hit me like black hit me. i am older now, and i can see how much some people mean to me, how fragile life really is, and how i have been wasting it moping around for a month. i can really relate with where ed and the guys are at on this one.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    If you have children, and can't relate to how hearing a police siren in the distance can spark a full-blown existential crisis, I don't know what to tell you.

This kind of stuff happens to me at least once a week.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I fucking love the song, ever since the first few seconds!!!! There are absolutely zero things I hate about this song. Can't wait til the album!!
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
  • Options
    If you have children, and can't relate to how hearing a police siren in the distance can spark a full-blown existential crisis, I don't know what to tell you.

Fact.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    I am totally envious of those of you for whom this song sends you. Totally. It's such a great feeling.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Hated it after the first listen. Love it now. Wow, I know you gotta trust PJ to bring it. Sent my parents an iTunes gift of the song. They think PJ is so hard core, kinda cool if this song turns on some new fans.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    brianlux wrote:
    I am totally envious of those of you for whom this song sends you. Totally. It's such a great feeling.

brian, i totally get how you feel about this song...i was there once...listen to the video version if you haven't...that really changed me on it...this band is at their best when they're all playing together...not individual files in a computer
  • Options
    grazman wrote:
    I don't want to make a negative thread on Sirens so I'll say it in here to you. The song is not good. I have never heard so much hype for a Pearl Jam song and been so disappointed. It is so fucking cheesey and would be made fun of by Pearl Jam fans if it wasn't Pearl Jam. I have listened to the song 5 times now and cringe every time I hear it. Sirens is the official end to Grunge! Pearl Jam has become a Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen where no matter what music they put out it's the greatest.

I like a bit of cheesy rock from time to time, but this song isn't cheesy. Its very mainstream for PJ, its a pop ballad, but its not cheesy at all.

And by the way...its 2013 not 1994.

What does that have to do with anything?
  • Options
    Abe Froman wrote:
    Sirens is the official end to Grunge!

Thank fucking god. I hate that word. Glad it's "official" now.

I didn't mean this in a bad way. People seem to think I meant this in a bad way but I didn't. I said it as a joke.
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

brian, i totally get how you feel about this song...i was there once...listen to the video version if you haven't...that really changed me on it...this band is at their best when they're all playing together...not individual files in a computer

Thanks, Norm. Actually the video version is the only one I've heard. I listened to it again this evening because of your good post here. It's not that I don't like songs that are touching, heartfelt, dramatic, or emotional-- "Off He Goes", for example has more than once left me broken down and in tears when I hear it and think of a certain friend of mine-- and maybe one of these days this one will work for me emotionally. But for now the feelings I get for it are purely vicarious. I'm really glad others are touched by this song so much- or any song for that matter.

As a side not, I do actually like Stone's part in this one a lot. I'm glad he got a generous amount of coverage on this one.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    another day....more love for it....i feel so sad i have to wait for 2014 to see it live..
  • Options
    It's a great song. A good song after a few listens but now excellent.

And you know what? I am sure those that hate it love "Sleight of Hand" which for me is a giant turd of a song.

I think it would be better if there was only one thread on here about hating the song. That wait those people can bitch amongst themselves. Maybe the band should 'creatively' release "Black" with different lyrics just like you so carefully did? That way you would love the song...

Or alternatively look back at a photo of yourself from 22 years ago, think about the person you were back then and think if the way you viewed the world was different. That is what is really happening.

And lastly, if you don't like it then don't listen to it. Telling a song to 'fuck off' is probably a good indicator to why you wouldn't appreciate the song.
    BIG DAY OUT SYDNEY FAIRGROUNDS, SYDNEY, AU, Sun 26 January, 2014 BIG DAY OUT FLEMINGTON RACECOURSE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 24 January, 2014 Eddie Vedder Solo, Civic Theatre, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Wednesday 16th March Eddie Vedder Solo, STATE THEATRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Friday 18th March & Saturday 19th March ETIHAD STADIUM, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 20 November, 2009 NEWCASTLE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Sun 19 November, 2006 ACER ARENA, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tues 7, Wed 8 & Sat 18 November, 2006 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tue 11, Thu 13 & Fri 14 February, 2003 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Mon 9, Wed 11 & Thu 12 March, 1998
  • Options
    kevedder wrote:

And you know what? I am sure those that hate it love "Sleight of Hand" which for me is a giant turd of a song.

I think it would be better if there was only one thread on here about hating the song. That wait those people can bitch amongst themselves. Maybe the band should 'creatively' release "Black" with different lyrics just like you so carefully did? That way you would love the song...

Or alternatively look back at a photo of yourself from 22 years ago, think about the person you were back then and think if the way you viewed the world was different. That is what is really happening.

And lastly, if you don't like it then don't listen to it. Telling a song to 'fuck off' is probably a good indicator to why you wouldn't appreciate the song.
    hi my friend there....the multiple threads you see about Sirens at the forum.....
    is NOT cos of alot of hate of the song
    is cos of the LOVE of the song.....and a few just posting in those threads saying they dont like it..
  • Options

Absolutely true... As a matter of fact: any form of danger sparks a sense of existential crisis. My son asked me last time: "what is that daddy", pointing at an electric socket. You start to realize how fragile life is and within that how "dangerous" love is - it makes you more sensitive, more aware, more vulnerable.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    Even my brother, who doesn't still listen to Rock music as he used to when he was a teenager - a young adult, told me today that Sirens is a very beautiful song! :D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Pap wrote:
    Even my brother, who doesn't still listen to Rock music as he used to when he was a teenager - a young adult, told me today that Sirens is a very beautiful song! :D

It is def. a good song. I am not sure if it is their best song, but that is really all about opinion and taste. I just listened to it again and what keep surprising me, is that people consider this a "radio friendly" song. The lyrics are dark. The time it clocks in is for a radio song quite long. The subtelty in the lyrics. But more importantly, the structure. Yeah, it has rock and pop influences, but most of the time - especially with pop or populair songs - the music structures the vocal lines and melody and not vice versa. In this song it is the other way around; the vocal line/ melody guides the music. Which makes it much more complex than a first listen will imply. So it has an appeal of a radio friendly song, but if you listen closely (headphones, lights off etc.) there is a lot going on in the background and at the same time. Which is all atypical for a "radio friendly" song.

For what its worth, just my two cents.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I've never had a song on constant repeat like this before. I can't get enough of it. It's the best song I've heard from them since I Am mine, which is my all-time favourite song.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783

Absolutely true... As a matter of fact: any form of danger sparks a sense of existential crisis. My son asked me last time: "what is that daddy", pointing at an electric socket. You start to realize how fragile life is and within that how "dangerous" love is - it makes you more sensitive, more aware, more vulnerable.

I remember the day of the sandy hook school shooting I, like all of us, was so torn up. When I finally got home from work and saw my 3 young kids the overwhelming relief I felt when seeing their faces brought me to my knees. For many days after that, whenever I heard sirens in the town during school hours I felt a surge of panic. This reaction has faded... Can't live in a constant state of fear.

If I think too much I can get overwhelmed by the grace with which we live our lives with death over our shoulders

Such a beautiful song.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 457
    At first thought it was ok...then after days on repeat and really hearing the words...this song really hits me on an emotional level....the fear goes away!
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    kevedder wrote:

:o:o :shock: I am loving Sirens but Sleight Of Hand is in my top 3 or 4 PJ songs ever.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    phew, i thought i was going crazy, having both versions (single & video) playing on repeat for days... but it seems to be a bit of an epidemic!

i can't remember the last time i played a song over and over (and over). i wasn't even so sure about it at first, i even wondered why i was giving it a second play...and then a third... last night i watched the vid again...and again...and again...and it got really late and i still couldn't stop myself. it's fkn addictive!

i do laugh at the 'power ballad' thing, and all the 'it's not grunge' people, er, hello, you hated black, oceans, garden and release too? mad. thank GOD it's not grunge, actually. whatever that is.

i love this song more than chocolate. heres my favourite review of my (our!) current obsession.

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/09/p ... th-sirens/
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    You've haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad it with your neighbors!
    You've haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad it with your SHOES!
    You've haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad it with your records!
    Goddamn it! You've had it!

Sorry- had to do that. :lol:

• Options
    On a more sober note (sort of), I can't help but wonder if "Sirens" is a little like cigarettes and whiskey. The first time I tried all three I hated them and felt a little sick. Eventually I became a cigarette smoker for several years and developed a taste for good sipping whiskey. So today, after listening to the song for about the fourth time (wondering, "Why am I doing this?"), I sort of liked it.

Ah oh! :lol:

• Options
    another day....more love for it....i feel so sad i have to wait for 2014 to see it live..

Are you coming out to Aus Dimi? :P
  • Options
    MASMAS Posts: 628
    My day starts with 3 straight listens...This song is a lot of things, with poweful the first that comes to mind. Its a beautiful, uplifting song that simply gets better with each listen as it reveals itself to the listener little by little...It may take years to fully "see" the siren in all her glory....