Options

New PJ Single Today @ 3pm EDT on SiriusXM PJ Radio

13»

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,746
    pJxQwsT.jpg

Downloading all 4 formats will be 227mb. Each download includes Mind Your Manners & Sirens in one .zip file.
  • Options
    evsgjamm wrote:
    HERE!

Hear the sirens
    Hear the circus, so profound
    I hear the sirens
    more and more in this here town
    Let me catch my breath to breathe
    and reach across the bend
    Just to know we’re safe
    I am a grateful man
    This light has been alive
    and I can see you clear
    how to take your hand
    and feel your breath
    or feel this someday will be over
    I pull you close, so much to lose
    knowing that nothing lasts forever
    I didn’t care before you were here
    I danced with laughter
    with the ever-after
    But all things changed. Let this remain
    Hear the sirens covering distance in the night
    The sound echoing closer
    will they come for me next time
    Oh every choice, mistake I’ve made, it’s not my plan
    to send you in the arms of another man
    And if you choose to stay, I’ll wait, I’ll understand
    It’s a fragile thing, this life we lead
    If I think too much, I can’t get over
    Wound by the graves by which we live
    our lives with death over our shoulders
    Want you to know that should I go
    I always loved you, held you high above too
    I study your face; the fear goes away
    It’s a fragile thing, this life we lead
    If I think too much, I can’t get over
    Wound by the graves by which we live
    our lives with death over our shoulders
    Want you to know that should I go
    I always loved you, held you high above too
    I study your face, and the fear goes away
    The fear goes away
    The fear goes away
    The fear goes away

LOVE THE SONG !

I think there's one slight difference in the lyric... it doesn't sound like he says "I can't get over...wound by the graves," but more like "I can't get overwhelmed by the graves," with the word "overwhelmed" split into 2 breaths...

I even wondered if it said "grace" instead of "graves"

Hell of a song.
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • Options
    Can't listen to this.
    SIMPLY AWFUL.

I really honestly cannot believe this is PEARL JAM and Eddie Vedder.
    Wow.

Been to 100 plus shows - own all the albums and a ton of boots and am a total PJ geek - but...WOW
    "Sean Hannity knows there is no greater threat to America today than Bill Clinton 15 years ago"- Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    Can't listen to this.
    SIMPLY AWFUL.

Wow.

Been to 100 plus shows - own all the albums and a ton of boots and am a total PJ geek - but...WOW

http://www.biggulpshuh.com
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,810
    Can't listen to this.
    SIMPLY AWFUL.

Wow.

Stop living in the stone age... :lolno:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    Can't listen to this.
    SIMPLY AWFUL.

Wow.

Pearl Jam have been masters at slow songs since the beginning. What is it about this song that drives you to post "simply awful" posts about it? Do tell... we're listening (...to Sirens :D )
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    I love the sounds in this song. They nailed it. Can even pick up "siren" type sounds made from the guitars and perhaps even the piano. Flows like a river.

"Sirens" Song Credits:
    Words: Eddie Vedder
    Music: Mike McCready

:clap::clap:
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    evsgjamm wrote:
    I love the sounds in this song. They nailed it. Can even pick up "siren" type sounds made from the guitars and perhaps even the piano. Flows like a river.

"Sirens" Song Credits:
    Words: Eddie Vedder
    Music: Mike McCready

:clap::clap:

First single MYM (Ed & Mike). 2nd single Sirens (Ed & Mike).

3rd single ... ?
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,442
    Its quite different. Not at all what I was expecting.

I think Kat nailed it with the No Code thing. I remember when "Who You Are" came out...and I was like...WTF. Id didn't DISLIKE it, but it wasn't like the first time I heard Given to Fly or Nothing as it Seems, where I was in love with them immediately.

After a few listens its growing on me. Definitely not something I expected tho, which usually ends up being a good thing.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    After a few listens its growing on me. Definitely not something I expected tho, which usually ends up being a good thing.

I agree. Heard it a few times yesterday. Was trying to get a feel for it. With all the hype & anticipation for the release. The Slash animated gif on Alternative Nation really got me more pumped up. lol

It just feels different. Which is not a bad thing.
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

I agree. Heard it a few times yesterday. Was trying to get a feel for it. With all the hype & anticipation for the release. The Slash animated gif on Alternative Nation really got me more pumped up. lol

It just feels different. Which is not a bad thing.

For what its worth, I hated Do the Evolution until I heard it live.

I'm looking forward to hearing this live. Big time. But I'm still challenged by this song. :)
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Can't listen to this.
    SIMPLY AWFUL.

Wow.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. You are as entitled to say it as everyone on here praising the song. I completely understand your comment of being surprised that PJ would release a song like this. It will fit in nicely between Matchbox 20, Bon Jovi and other pre-packaged, safe for consumption music out there (good or bad depending on your likes and dislikes).

Remember, Mind Your Manners is out there so they can still bring it.
  • Options
    Can't listen to this.
    SIMPLY AWFUL.

Wow.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. You are as entitled to say it as everyone on here praising the song. I completely understand your comment of being surprised that PJ would release a song like this. It will fit in nicely between Matchbox 20, Bon Jovi and other pre-packaged, safe for consumption music out there (good or bad depending on your likes and dislikes).

This song sounds way more sincere than either of those bands, though. I do disagree that this is "pre-packaged, safe for consumption" too. This is unlike Pearl Jam, and probably more of a risk than anything else. Much like "Who You Are" was at the time.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Can't listen to this.
    SIMPLY AWFUL.

Wow.

This song sounds way more sincere than either of those bands, though. I do disagree that this is "pre-packaged, safe for consumption" too. This is unlike Pearl Jam, and probably more of a risk than anything else. Much like "Who You Are" was at the time.

I'm sure Ed believes in the lyrics, but I think they fit in with the pop songs moreso than any song I think I've heard from Pearl Jam. As a fan of Ed's lyrics, I think this song (and Future Days) are the worst I've heard - in my opinion.

The risk with Who You Are and Sirens is similar (their current fan base may not like it), but at least with Who You Are they were trying something unique versus running to the mainstream to keep the machine alive.

I am interested to see how the rest of the album sounds. I really think Lightning Bolt could end up being the album that could make a lot of fans give up on their new music (maybe not live shows).
  • Options
    evsgjamm wrote:
    Can't listen to this.
    SIMPLY AWFUL.

Wow.

Pearl Jam have been masters at slow songs since the beginning. What is it about this song that drives you to post "simply awful" posts about it? Do tell... we're listening (...to Sirens :D )

Hard to pinpoint really.
    Their slower songs have typically been more abstract, deep, and interesting than Sirens. Light Years etc.
    I just find it way too contemporary and I am just stunned that this is a PJ Song. I really want to like cuz I am a total fanboy geek - but it is like a bad Karaoke song.
    "Sean Hannity knows there is no greater threat to America today than Bill Clinton 15 years ago"- Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    evsgjamm wrote:
    Can't listen to this.
    SIMPLY AWFUL.

Wow.

Hard to pinpoint really.
    Their slower songs have typically been more abstract, deep, and interesting than Sirens. Light Years etc.
    I just find it way too contemporary and I am just stunned that this is a PJ Song. I really want to like cuz I am a total fanboy geek - but it is like a bad Karaoke song.

<cough> wishlist <cough>
  • Options

Plus Lightning Bolt & Future Day's that were played live @ Wrigley Field. :)
  • Options
    I'm sure Ed believes in the lyrics, but I think they fit in with the pop songs moreso than any song I think I've heard from Pearl Jam. As a fan of Ed's lyrics, I think this song (and Future Days) are the worst I've heard - in my opinion.

The risk with Who You Are and Sirens is similar (their current fan base may not like it), but at least with Who You Are they were trying something unique versus running to the mainstream to keep the machine alive.

I am interested to see how the rest of the album sounds. I really think Lightning Bolt could end up being the album that could make a lot of fans give up on their new music (maybe not live shows).

I know a LOT of my friends who liked Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy hated No Code. I liked No Code from the beginning, even tho I was unsure about Who You Are.
    I don't see Sirens as "Mainstream" tho. I mean, its just a slower ballad. (Black, Light Years) but its not as dark and grim as either. It sounds more hopeful, which.....whenever you start singing about love, you run the risk of ballady-cheese.

But back to your point about Lightning Bolt....everything I have heard so far (Mind your Manners, Future Days, Lightning Bolt, Part of Pendulum)....I'm not getting that "give up on their music" vibe. I think those first three songs I listed are good evidence of that.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.