Options

Sleeping By Myself Will Rock...

vedderman42vedderman42 Posts: 39
edited September 2013 in The Porch
As a long time reader, few time poster on this board, I just have to say that all the negativity towards Sleeping By Myself as an album track might just prove to be unjustified. Simply listening to a ukulele version of a beautiful, mid tempo song does not equate to beautiful, mid tempo full Pearl Jam song. The Uke tempo lulls us into believing this is what the song will be rehashed into on a full PJ recording. I ask, why do such a thing? Makes no logical sense.

Give our guys some credit here. I feel this song has the opportunity to be an epic, unexpected surprise on the album. Why else would they include it? Years of writing new material and they put a rehashed, reworked song on an album...my logic suggests they might just be that excited about it as a full band version.

Just thought I would throw my two cents in here...I can't wait to hear it and I expect great things out of it. From this band, how could you expect anything less?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Completely agree. You have to hear it first to know how it will sound. These guys are good musicians...it's a good song by itself. I'm looking forward to hearing the full band interpretation of this song.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,001
    Great thread. I agree completely, can't wait to hear it.
  • Options
    Here here to a positive thought. I think it will be just fine, and if it sucks, ill live through it.
  • Options
    Very interested to hear what it sounds like with the full band
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
  • Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Completely agree. You have to hear it first to know how it will sound. These guys are good musicians...it's a good song by itself. I'm looking forward to hearing the full band interpretation of this song.
    +1
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    I'll admit I was a but disappointed at first, but I'm way over that now and think it's going to be amazing. From beginning to end I think we have an epic album coming. Can't wait!
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    be very intersesting
    danny d
  • Options
    YES, I definitely trust Pearl Jam's judgement on this track if it wasnt good enough for them then it wouldnt of been incuded on the album, right?
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    PJ has very rarely disappointed me. They could put the "Happy Birthday" song on the album and I'd love it.

Fan = Fanatic. :lol:
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    I'm very excited to hear the full band interpretation of the song! I loved it on EV's uke album, and I have a feeling I will love what the band does with it. October can't come quick enough! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    I just don't see what they can possibly do with this song in a full band arrangement. I guess we'll see....
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    maybe it's not even the same song?

why is nobody considering that a possibility?
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    I am treating it as the Ed Uke version was the demo and the full band version on Lightning Bolt as the real song.
  • Options
    Bob Dylan put the same song twice on one album once. Back to back...he put two versions of Forever Young on his album Planet Waves with The Band. It worked very well there.

Neil Young put the same song with different lyrics twice on one album (Train of Love and Western Hero on the album Sleeps With Angels).

It isn't like this is a new idea, and there are two examples that worked particularly well, by two of Pearl Jam's musical idols.

It's all good.
    Barrie, Ontario 08-05-1992 x Toronto, Ontario 08-18-1993
    Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 x Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000
    Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 x Toronto, Ontario 05-10-2006
    Toronto, Ontario 08-13-2008 (Ed Solo) x Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009
    Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 x Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Buffalo, NY 10-12-2013 x Ottawa, Ontario 05-08-2016
    Ottawa, Ontario 09-03-2022
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    Sleeping By Myself was one of the few songs off of Uke Songs that I could really never get into that much, so I'm hoping that the full band version might give me a new appreciation for the song, can't wait for it!

Probably just because several sources long before the tracklist reveal said that there would be a Uke Song on the album but then again what if they were just seeing the titles as well?
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    AnimalCh1n wrote:
    Bob Dylan put the same song twice on one album once. Back to back...he put two versions of Forever Young on his album Planet Waves with The Band. It worked very well there.

Neil Young put the same song with different lyrics twice on one album (Train of Love and Western Hero on the album Sleeps With Angels).

It isn't like this is a new idea, and there are two examples that worked particularly well, by two of Pearl Jam's musical idols.

It's all good.

And on "All Things Must Pass" George Harrison had 2 versions of "Isn't It A Pity," one acoustic.
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    This thread, exactly. Thank you.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I just don't see what they can possibly do with this song in a full band arrangement. I guess we'll see....

That's probably why all the songs you write suck. No artistic vision. :lol:
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    I just wished Off the Earth made the cut, if this song is not good, that will be lame....
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    I just wished Off the Earth made the cut, if this song is not good, that will be lame....

I honestly don't get the love for "Of the Earth." I mean, it's OK. But it sounded like B-side/outtake material to me from Day 1.
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    two words for those who are worried about this:

1. can't
    2. keep
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options

I'm don't mind being trolled but this doesn't even make any sense.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    SolarWorld wrote:

I honestly don't get the love for "Of the Earth." I mean, it's OK. But it sounded like B-side/outtake material to me from Day 1.

I don't get the non-love for this song. It's only the greatest song the band ever wrote. (We're even ;) )

Listen, I don't really care is Sleeping By Myself made the album or not. If the band asked me of say "put Of The Earth on". What I find funny is, the people who post "we don't want Of the Earth...it's 3 years old (played all of 7 times mind you)...we want new stuff" are the same folk who say "Sleeping By Myself may be different...give it a chance...it may be a new tune"

Maybe Of The Earth would have been re-worked. The band said they couldn't get a great studio version. If it made the cut, good chance it was re-done.

Let's wait another 6 weeks and all find out.

It's bullshit Of The Earth was left out - :P
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

If you "can't see what they can possibly do with this song as a full band" maybe it's because you're not as musically talented as Pearl Jam, is what I'm saying.

I'm just kidding around, anyhow.
  • Options

If you "can't see what they can possibly do with this song as a full band" maybe it's because you're not as musically talented as Pearl Jam, is what I'm saying.

I'm just kidding around, anyhow.

Oh that's what you're saying. I got ya. Since you've noted that you're just kidding around, I'm not within my internet rights to comment on how pretentious and band-worshiping it sounds to say "you're not as musically talented as Pearl Jam." So I'll skip that part. As for Sleeping By Myself, I guess I'm just suspecting that this will be similar to the Speed Of Sound demo for me. I thought that demo would have worked just fine as a finished song. But then it kinda got "churched-up" for Backspacer with all this instrumentation that didn't necessarily make it any better (to me anyway). So I'm not in the "Sleeping By Myself will suck and PJ has no creativity left!" crowd. I'm in the "I don't think it'll really be all that better than the Ukulele version" crowd. But what do I know? I'm not as musically talented as Pearl Jam. I lack the artistic vision. :lol:

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    Sleeping by Myself at Lukin SPEED!
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    As for Sleeping By Myself, I guess I'm just suspecting that this will be similar to the Speed Of Sound demo for me.

If you go into it with preconceived notions, it probably will be.

There are tons of ways the song could be tweaked for a full band version. And I'm not even that creative. Why not suspect it will be like Can't Keep, which only bears a passing resemblance to its ukelele forefather?
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 492
    As for Sleeping By Myself, I guess I'm just suspecting that this will be similar to the Speed Of Sound demo for me.

If you go into it with preconceived notions, it probably will be.

There are tons of ways the song could be tweaked for a full band version. And I'm not even that creative. Why not suspect it will be like Can't Keep, which only bears a passing resemblance to its ukelele forefather?

To me Can't Keep shares the same melody and tempo of its Uke beginnings. Cant keep was also part of Eds speed thrash Uke experiment. Going to be interesting to see what they can do with this one. SBM wasn't my favorite off of Uke songs, and it was fairly short too. I wonder if they'll expand it, change the melody or tempo or what if its completely unrecognizable? It would be funny if another band member had a completely different song with the same title or something and all of the debate was for nothing.
  • Options

I have been posting this as well..

that is, when I can stand all of the bitching for long enough..

Either way, if it is making the album it should be good..

and I count the days :D:D
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Years of writing new material and they put a rehashed, reworked song on an album...

That's the point you are missing.

We don't know if they have spent years writing new songs. It's been 4 years since backspacer.. And that cd was only 36:38 long.

The album before was avocado, which was in 2006.

So in 7 years since avocado, we have had about 37 min of new music. This does not support your statement of writing songs for years.

People are complaining because they want new songs. Not a redone version of a pervious song, or, possibly even the same song. We don't know. We won't know until the listening party. They want new songs. It's been long enough for them to write 12 new songs, not borrow from previous ones.

Either way people are upset because its a song that's already been released, and, it's a song not everyone who is a pearl jam fan can instantly relate to. It's a lullaby ukelele song.

Now that I've said that, those aren't my personal feelings. I'm just trying to explain why I believe there is such an outcry over this one song in particular.

I don't care what they chose to release. They must feel its album worthy, or they wouldn't have used it.

If the bitching was over ole being included in its exact form, then that's justified. It's already released. No need to re release it. But we don't know how this song will be.

I support whatever the band decides to do, and am looking forward to hearing every song on lightning bolt. I just hope you can see both sides of the picture here.