Options

Probably in the minority, but...Poster Rant

rmwatsonrmwatson Posts: 159
edited August 2013 in The Porch
Quick Rant:

I buy the posters for the shows that I go to b/c I think it is a fun thing to have a wall in my basement that highlights some good times I have had seeing this amazing band. I find it terribly frustrating that these posters are treated as fine pieces of art. How does something that probably costs $1 to print get turned into something that someone can ask $300 for??? Obviously, the answer is supply and demand. Hence my frustration. If an item is not allowed to turn into a holy grail - then the flipping market ceases to exist.

The current poster environment is currently not fun to me (simply my opinion). I love seeing what amazing designs they will have; only to be shot down, b/c even if I put in the effort and wait for hours on end in a merch line, there is nothing there for me to buy. Sometimes this is b/c some chump who is not even going to the show buys 4 of everything just to try to make a buck on ebay. Or, b/c I was not on my computer at an exact moment the remnants went on sale.

Bottom line - either start limiting what people can buy, or just make the posters always available, at the show, after the show. Hell, I would even be willing to pay a premium for the right to get a poster after the show, or be able to order one before, etc. etc. I am not a collector, just think it would be cool to have the shows I have been to, rather than see 100's on Ebay after the fact for absurd prices. This is obviouly being driven by Wrigley. Sorry - but it has been eating at me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    rmwatson wrote:
    The current poster environment is currently not fun to me.

Exactly. Once you realize that whether or not you get a poster has (or should have) no effect on your memory or enjoyment of the show experience, it won't bother you as much. Posters and PJ merch in general have become a circus. Stop caring/overpaying and enjoy the only thing that really matters...the music.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I am a collector like you... only for shows I go to... I hope they go back to the pre-sale of posters for those going to the shows. They did it once and not again.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Dude, it's nothing compared to how it used to be. Before the market crash in 08 it was a million times worse. There wasn't even a "posters" section in goods before that time because no poster ever, no matter what it looked like would last more than 10 seconds. Very, very rarely now are we talking about posters hitting the secondary market for over $100. And even then, if you wait a bit you'll get it cheaper. I don't know, I guess I just don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be.
  • Options
    F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    I am a collector like you... only for shows I go to... I hope they go back to the pre-sale of posters for those going to the shows. They did it once and not again.
    Or how about this, when you enter the ticket lottery... include a check box for "Yes, I would like to add a poster to my order for $30 plus s/h".

If you win 10c tix, you also get the poster (if you opt in).
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    rmwatson wrote:
    How does something that probably costs $1 to print get turned into something that someone can ask $300 for???

You kind of answered your own question.
    rmwatson wrote:
    I love seeing what amazing designs they will have;

The premium is not for the manufacturing cost, but for the human creativity behind each piece.

Having said that: PRESALE THE FUCKING POSTERS ALREADY!!!! This secondary market nonsense is horsepucky.

I don't know what "horsepucky" is, but I imagine it's something that secondary market nonsense does not want to be likened to.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    Or how about this, when you enter the ticket lottery... include a check box for "Yes, I would like to add a poster to my order for $30 plus s/h".

You obviously stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=202481

The above link is a petition to bring back the presale on the posters.

I only collect posters to the shows i go to as well. I have been successful so far but would hate to miss out on future sales.

I like F5AgainstOne's idea of the tix and poster option.

Imagine the freedom not having to worry about this at a show.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095

Yep, I would probably buy 1 from all the shows I attend.
    It would be cool to see the artwork before purchase, but surprises are fun!
    Even if they were $40, not having to worry about the poster at the show would be worth it..
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    Nami wrote:
    http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=202481

I only collect posters to the shows i go to as well. I have been successful so far but would hate to miss out on future sales.

I would spend more time at the pre-show thereby raising more funds for charity ( or drink more or both)
    I am actually concerned with GA, that because they will enter earlier or be around posters sales outside, that me with my Reserve sheets is going to be shut out..
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I also didn't get a Wrigley poster (or any Wrigley merch for that matter), but I was there. I like getting a poster as a memory, at least if I like it. I thought Wrigley was a disaster when it comes to merch. It would be cool if people who actually are at the show would have first dibs on the merch. A poster-presale sounds good, but it would also take a bit away form the suspension. I like not knowing what the poster looks like when I go to a show. But yeah, I wanna have a least a chance to buy a poster...
    It's okay if the artist editions are a little bit more expensive, but yeah, 300 $ is ridiculous. But so is 800, 900, 1000 for a vinyl album :roll:
  • Options
    Nami wrote:
    http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=202481

I would spend more time at the pre-show thereby raising more funds for charity ( or drink more or both)
    I am actually concerned with GA, that because they will enter earlier or be around posters sales outside, that me with my Reserve sheets is going to be shut out..

exactly... no pressure relaxing having a drink and checking out the opener. As shows start roughly 7-8ish and most people get off at 5ish then drive various distances to get to the show, get in line for a poster, miss out on everything else...etc.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    I also didn't get a Wrigley poster (or any Wrigley merch for that matter), but I was there. I like getting a poster as a memory, at least if I like it. I thought Wrigley was a disaster when it comes to merch. It would be cool if people who actually are at the show would have first dibs on the merch. A poster-presale sounds good, but it would also take a bit away form the suspension. I like not knowing what the poster looks like when I go to a show. But yeah, I wanna have a least a chance to buy a poster...
    It's okay if the artist editions are a little bit more expensive, but yeah, 300 $ is ridiculous. But so is 800, 900, 1000 for a vinyl album :roll:

see this sucks... $300 a week later is insane.
  • Options
    rmwatsonrmwatson Posts: 159
    Could not agree more with everything being said - I dont even need to see the design before the show - but just to know I would have already pre-purchased one makes it fun again. Already knowing that I have this keep sake from the show to go along with the amazing memories every show seems to produce from fan interaction and the amazing music.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

This is genius. I fully support this idea.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    troysp1troysp1 Posts: 412

Plus 1 for this and the OP's post. I am tired of being shut out or having to go to the show at noon to get a poster to hang on the wall. There is a better way, make it happen 10 Club!
  • Options
    JM84420JM84420 Backstage Posts: 48
    A poster option with a ticket sounds like the best idea, but then fewer people would buy mech at the shows so they probably won't do it. I LOVE PJ, but they have about sold out. They aren't the ticketmaster sucks group anymore. At least they do great things with their money, so I don't really mind paying more- luckily I can pretty much afford it.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    I was lucky enough to have attend one of the shows on the tour with the presales (Calgary 09). It was a much more enjoyable experience not worrying about getting a poster.

I do think it's gotten better. The Seattle '09 shows seem to have a plethora of posters and didn't seem to run out. I figured the runs must be larger now than in the past. (which is probably why the value on more recent posters is less than older ones where they only printer 250 or 500 per show.. ie the '98/'00 tours).

I guess the band has to find balance. If they over-saturate the market they might not get 20 or 30 dollars for posters anymore. They probably want to keep them somewhat limited to create the demand for them.

I also dispute the $1/each thing. There must be an additional portion that covers the artists work (ie intellectual property). It's like people saying a dvd only costs 50 cents to make which disregards the hundreds of millions they spent to make the movie that pressed on the dvd. Yah the dvd is overpriced, but it did cost more than 50 cents to make it. There's always a cost to create a product. Smartphone's would be a whole lot cheaper if they didn't have to shell out all that cash for R&D :)
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Zod wrote:
    I was lucky enough to have attend one of the shows on the tour with the presales (Calgary 09). It was a much more enjoyable experience not worrying about getting a poster.

I do think it's gotten better. The Seattle '09 shows seem to have a plethora of posters and didn't seem to run out. I figured the runs must be larger now than in the past. (which is probably why the value on more recent posters is less than older ones where they only printer 250 or 500 per show.. ie the '98/'00 tours).

I guess the band has to find balance. If they over-saturate the market they might not get 20 or 30 dollars for posters anymore. They probably want to keep them somewhat limited to create the demand for them.

I also dispute the $1/each thing. There must be an additional portion that covers the artists work (ie intellectual property). It's like people saying a dvd only costs 50 cents to make which disregards the hundreds of millions they spent to make the movie that pressed on the dvd. Yah the dvd is overpriced, but it did cost more than 50 cents to make it. There's always a cost to create a product. Smartphone's would be a whole lot cheaper if they didn't have to shell out all that cash for R&D :)

It is not $1 to create a poster, Here is a basic price guide

http://www.dlscreenprinting.com/pricing-guide/

And this does not take into consideration other sizes, specialty papers, specialty inks, etc.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    JM84420 wrote:
    A poster option with a ticket sounds like the best idea, but then fewer people would buy mech at the shows so they probably won't do it. I LOVE PJ, but they have about sold out. They aren't the ticketmaster sucks group anymore. At least they do great things with their money, so I don't really mind paying more- luckily I can pretty much afford it.
    This is very interesting. I wonder if sales were off in 09 because they presold the posters... I bet yes since they did not do it again.
    I would be ok to be forced to buy a concert specific t shirt if it meant getting the poster.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    Has 10C ever provided a response as to why they decided not to run any further poster pre-sales?
    There must have been one, if as you all seem to suggest, that this is an advantage and/or a better way to keep fans happy and increase sales, then to do not do it seems odd.
    If they have provided a reason, have you looked at and considered this?

I guess, I am not a collector, I buy stuff if I like it, I do have most of the posters of shows I've attended and where I haven't it is because I have chosen not to buy it. Certainly at any of the shows I've gone to (mainly in Europe with proper GA floors) I have never had a problem getting a poster. Also, we've kind of worked together, if a friend is going to pick up tickets, they'll pick up a poster for me and then we'll stick it in the hotel room etc before going to the pub then onto the show. If not I've picked it up when going in and given it to a friend who has seated tickets to look after or kept it with me in GA. At PJ20 we went inside and had a look around then went to see Brad K to get a poster, there was no particular rush or urgency. As far GA goes, I think I've only ever used early entry twice, the pub is far more attractive, and those queuing all day will have their poster buying planned meticulously :lol:

I know a couple of occasions when after the show people have regretted not buying a poster, and not been able to get one from Merch at the end of a show so they have then gone down the AP route or 10C sale route, but I've only had to do this once (I got it from 10C) Maybe I have been lucky :?
    It certainly seems like prior to 2008 there were far fewer posters made available for sale than now.

Wrigley I think is completely different, it was made very clear that there was a show specific merchandise horde of gooodies, multiple tees, posters etc. This probably could have been handled better in terms of availabilty. But for regular shows I've not seen it be an issue.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

So you get 2 posters with the 2 tickets? Or an option of 1 or 2? If there is that option, then that would be okay IMO. If you only get one poster for every 2 tickets or are forced to buy 2 when you only want one, that's no good...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I have been an avid PJ poster collector ever since my first concert at Soldier Field in 1995 and I can honestly say that poster collecting has not always been this widespread/popular. Back in the early-mid 1990's a lot of fans didn't care about posters...so much so, that the fan club actually had so many leftovers they advertised them for purchase in the fan club mailings after their tours were completed. Anyone interested in posters from their 1996 tour stops for around $25-$30? Yes, there really were leftovers from the 1996 tour that weren't sold at the venues....

The number of each poster created for each concert these days must be insane. I'd like to think the fan club has gained some experience on how many to have made based on venue size, ticket sales, and overall fan club desire. However, it's probably very far from an exact science. Sometimes they have too many made (look at the posters for sale her in the SHOP) and sometimes they don't have enough made (posters that have actually sold out).

I don't think anyone should base their concert experience on whether or not they got a poster at the show. I also dont think anyone should spend the majority of their pre-concert time in line for a poster and/or other merchandise. There has to be a happy medium somewhere in there for everyone. What that is, I have no clue.

My colllection contains posters from every PJ concert I've attended as well as every EV solo show I've attended. That means it ranges from my favorite 2000 Chicago Blackie poster all the way down to the "nobody wants it" 2011 Eddie Vedder St. Louis poster. I've been lucky enough to have bought a lot of my older posters at the venues back in the 1990's. I know that's not the case for a lot of people. But I've also had to pay 2ndary market prices for some of the more recent posters in my collection. That said, poster collecting (or any type of collecting) shouldn't be about the monetary value of the item. It should be about the memories and/or happiness the poster/item brings to the collector.

I've probably gotten off track and don't really know where I'm going with all of this. I just hope that everyone who wants a poster can get it at a reasonable price. I think the fan club does the best it can with their efforts. Like everything, there is unfortunately no perfect system.

- Uncle Snuffy
    Soldier Field - Jul 11, 1995, Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14, 1997,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    SD48277 wrote:

+1
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    klusterfuk wrote:
    SD48277 wrote:

+1
    Again, what about the second poster for the second ticket??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    [
    Again, what about the second poster for the second ticket??
    thats why i think the best way to go is this
    the day after the show..
    open a week period to preorder the poster..as many a member want..or up to two..what ever
    after a week..close preorders.print as many poster members as the orders..and thats all..
    the one miss it,its their fault..all will know can get the poster..and u kill the secondary market..
    and as for that idea with check at a box during ticket sale ,well i dont agree.cos.you cant order something before u aee how it looks and maybe alot want the poster but will not be at the show.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    This thread is getting out of control now. Maybe PJ should just put up a PDF file for every show and everyone can go home and print out as many as they want? Do that instead of printing thousands of posters.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    This thread is getting out of control now. Maybe PJ should just put up a PDF file for every show and everyone can go home and print out as many as they want? Do that instead of printing thousands of posters.
    cool idea..after they sell here the poster and its sold out,they can do that!! ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    cool idea..after they sell here the poster and its sold out,they can do that!! ;)

I meant it more in sarcasm. Instead of posters, all you get to buy is is a PDF of it. No posters will be sold, pre-sale, at show, post show. PDF only. Print at home.

It is getting out of control, they can't have unlimited everything.
  • Options
    [/quote]
    Again, what about the second poster for the second ticket??[/quote]

No...imo 1 poster for the 10C member purchasing the ticket.

no need to make this difficult
  • Options

I meant it more in sarcasm. Instead of posters, all you get to buy is is a PDF of it. No posters will be sold, pre-sale, at show, post show. PDF only. Print at home.

It is getting out of control, they can't have unlimited everything.
    I think Pearl Jam might actually kind of like the thousands upon thousands of dollars that they make from selling the posters, so I doubt that would seem like a good idea to them. :lol:;) I'm sure they don't give a flying fuck if the buyers/collectors are going nuts and spending way too much on their posters after the fact. Not their problem. They have nothing to do with that.