Black Box Society

NorthShoreBluesNorthShoreBlues Posts: 181
edited August 2013 in The Porch
Hello,

Ok, due to overwhelming PM's and talk among members, its time to announce that: Yes its TRUE, there is a Black Box Society. Founded in 2005, the Black Box Society is a group of PJ fans that own copies of a hard drive that houses All Recorded PJ shows (audio and video). Its not all the shows, because as we know, not all shows were recorded (i.e. 1991, 1992), but whatever is recorded the Black Box houses it for posterity . . .

The Black Box Society is an international group. The members are invited to join. Membership is approximately 152 strong as of July, 2013. The members meet once a year for a private party in a city that is determined, usually by a PJ tour, for updating the Black Box, voting on applications, and for a social/business mixer. The next meeting is in NYC- October 2013.

This information is posted for informational purposes only. Most members do not post in this forum. I usually receive many PMs regarding the Black Box Society, but please refrain from PM'ing me, because I cannot invite you to join. I am simply a 2nd degree member and I was instructed to post this, that's all the information I have.
1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Is it True that Dave Abbruzzese is part of that club?
  • Is it True that Dave Abbruzzese is part of that club?

Lol. Not sure. I have never seen him at any of the annual meetings. However, I think it was started by an insider (probably a tech or sound guy).
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Is it True that Dave Abbruzzese is part of that club?

Lol. Not sure. I have never seen him at any of the annual meetings. However, I think it was started by an insider (probably a tech or sound guy).

:lol: just breaking your onions, how funny would it be if he was? Sounds like a hell of a club, that's some real dedication.
  • MH79917MH79917 Posts: 22
    Hi,the shows in the black box are soundboard or audience?
    Mathieu Hamel
  • irkossairkossa Posts: 35
    Those guys are a strange breed. Trying to get into the Black Box Society is kinda like Flounder trying to get into Delta Tau Chi - even if you have a brother as a legacy it ain't a rubber stamp.
    Boston I '04
    Boston I, II, Milwaukee II '06
    Hartford, Mansfield I, II '08
    Hartford , Boston '10
    EV Boston, PJ Montreal '11
    Worcester I, II, Hartford '13
    Fenway I '16
    ToTD - MSG '16
    Wrigley II '18
    Fenway I, II '18
    Quebec City, Ottawa, MSG '22
  • pj illuminati
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • nalyd61nalyd61 Boston Posts: 698
    Hey i missed you guys @ wrigley. NYC night 2 pre show update?
  • JForte20JForte20 Posts: 52
    edited August 2013
    edit
    Post edited by JForte20 on
  • YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,377
    can I get a free T-shirt if I apply? Does any video of 1994 exist?

Will the Black Box Society newsletter come quicker than an issue of Deep?
  • MH79917 wrote:
    Hi,the shows in the black box are soundboard or audience?

Are you kidding me, those guys are bootleg snobs! There are only a handful of audience recording from the early days but everything else is soundboard. Each audience recording contains a txt file which explains why it is not soundboard (so and so erased it, so and so didn't plug in,etc) The shows after 2000 are not the professional mix, rather they are actual soundboards and there is no audience noise/cheering. Kinda strange at first to listen to.
  • can I get a free T-shirt if I apply? Does any video of 1994 exist?

Will the Black Box Society newsletter come quicker than an issue of Deep?

There are no newsletters, haha. You can spot members at shows because they do have t-shirts! And yes, a colleague of mine saw Regal Theater '94 in semi-pro shot. I have seen at one of their screenings of the Boston Garden 94 pro shot, entire show, not just the MTV edit. And no I have yet to hear anyone say anything about Atlanta. But I'm just a 2nd degree member, I do not have access to video/film of anything pre-1996.
  • OK let me get this straight. There is a black box floating around this planet that contains basically my version of the holy bible. I don't even know what to say but HOLY SHIT!!!!!
  • KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    I'd just love to know if any video was shot for Dallas 2003.
    To know it's out there waiting for me to find it would be very exciting as that was my first show! :)
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • im sorry but this ''black box society'' crap is utter bullshit. are people really holding this over other fan's heads as some sort of super fan leverage or another false sense of entitlement?

this is avail for FREE

...no need to get the old knee pads out. :nono:
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I want to know what happens at the meetings? Is it hot? sexy?

And I dont think you should refer to yourself as a 2nd degree member.. so degrading..

A member is a member, right? dont be so hard on yourself..

and please never ask me to be in your club.. I enjoy just being a fan that is friends with other fans.. This club and all of its degrees just sounds soooo fucked up..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    im sorry but this ''black box society'' crap is utter bullshit. are people really holding this over other fan's heads as some sort of super fan leverage or another false sense of entitlement?

this is avail for FREE

The whole BBS thing kinda freaked me out! First I'd heard of it!
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• im sorry but this ''black box society'' crap is utter bullshit. are people really holding this over other fan's heads as some sort of super fan leverage or another false sense of entitlement?

this is avail for FREE

as far as I know, your dallas 03 show has not been filmed. however new/old things (re)surface each and every day. Im not sure if the op was being completely serious or what. I just don't understand why anyone would say it exists, but please don't pm me about it. just another reason why certain super pj fans are complete a holes. I gotta believe that this has taken on a life of its own. now people are claiming that there are mixes of live shows w/o audience track. if so, its stolen. ok, fine. YOU ARE A SUPERFAN! "we're not worthy...!" :lol:
    PLEASE!!!

if anyone wants more info, just ask.
    edited August 2013
    im sorry but this ''black box society'' crap is utter bullshit. are people really holding this over other fan's heads as some sort of super fan leverage or another false sense of entitlement?

this is avail for FREE

as far as I know, your dallas 03 show has not been filmed. however new/old things (re)surface each and every day. Im not sure if the op was being completely serious or what. I just don't understand why anyone would say it exists, but please don't pm me about it. just another reason why certain super pj fans are complete a holes. I gotta believe that this has taken on a life of its own. now people are claiming that there are mixes of live shows w/o audience track. if so, its stolen. ok, fine. YOU ARE A SUPERFAN! "we're not worthy...!" :lol:
    PLEASE!!!

if anyone wants more info, just ask.

Thank you for that. I've been looking for years. Seems my search will continue....or not if it wasn't filmed!
    But I'd not bevwilling to kiss anyone's ass to get it, either.
    Post edited by Kimmiebyrom on
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    bunch of second degree members out there that feel dirty now :D:D

what a joke!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • you'd be surprised over the amount of kissing or sucking goes on around here... :roll:
  • Caveeze wrote:
    bunch of second degree members out there that feel dirty now :D:D

what a joke!

great avatar btw. I was just watching the last waltz. one of my favorite songs..."the shape im in!!!" I love to drive really fast to this one :)
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Hello,

Ok, due to overwhelming PM's and talk among members, its time to announce that: Yes its TRUE, there is a Black Box Society. Founded in 2005, the Black Box Society is a group of PJ fans that own copies of a hard drive that houses All Recorded PJ shows (audio and video). Its not all the shows, because as we know, not all shows were recorded (i.e. 1991, 1992), but whatever is recorded the Black Box houses it for posterity . . .

The Black Box Society is an international group. The members are invited to join. Membership is approximately 152 strong as of July, 2013. The members meet once a year for a private party in a city that is determined, usually by a PJ tour, for updating the Black Box, voting on applications, and for a social/business mixer. The next meeting is in NYC- October 2013.

This information is posted for informational purposes only. Most members do not post in this forum. I usually receive many PMs regarding the Black Box Society, but please refrain from PM'ing me, because I cannot invite you to join. I am simply a 2nd degree member and I was instructed to post this, that's all the information I have.

I am curious to know what other giant time wasters the group has come up with since PJ tours less now. Sorry, but this is the dumbest thing I have read on this board, and I read all my posts after I type them so that is saying a lot. You were "instructed" to post this? There are levels? Are we grown adults here? This has to be a joke. If so, I fell for it. If not, ridiculously stupid. Animal sounds the same as it did 10 years ago. They may play a lot of different songs but they play them the same way over and over.

I stopped collectin boots a long time ago. Check out Springsteen boots as you'll get numerous versions of his hits, instead of the same version of Alive that's been played since '91.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,340
    The first rule about the Black Box Society is: You do not talk about Black Box Society.
    The second rule about the Black Box Society is: You DO NOT talk about Black Boy Society ....
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    Hello,

Is this a joke?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Is this a joke?[/quote]

Yes, I'm still laughing!
  • Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 644
    If true...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• THE RITE AND RITUAL OF THE THIRD DEGREE OF THE BLACK BOX SOCIETY (BBS) OF THE MAMASANS:

The candidate is divested of all wearing apparel, except his shirt and drawers and pearl jam socks, and if he has not the latter, he is furnished with a pair by the brethren preparing him. The drawers are rolled up just above the candidate's knees, and both arms are taken out of his shirt-sleeves, leaving his legs and breast bare, and exposing his sacred Stick Man Tatoo. A rope, technically called, "That by which he Thumbs His Way", is wound around his body three times, and a bandage, or hoodwink, is tied very closely over his eyes. (See engraving.)

When the candidate is prepared, the Junior Deacon takes him by the left arm, leads him up to the door of the Lodge, and gives three loud, distinct knocks (the opening drum count to Evenflow).

The BBS-Senior Deacon, who has stationed himself at the inner door, at the right of the Senior Warden, on hearing these raps rises to his feet, makes the sign of a 10 of Clubs to the Master (see Fig. 6, p. 18), and says:
    "Worshipful Master, while engaged in the lawful pursuit of the Mamasans, there is an alarm at the inner door of our Lodge."

W. M.--You will attend to the alarm, and ascertain the cause.

BBS Deacon gives three loud knocks (• • •), which are responded to by one (•) from the parties outside. The Senior BBS Deacon then answers with one rap (•), and opens the door.
    CANDIDATE DULY AND TRULY PREPARED.
    CANDIDATE DULY AND TRULY PREPARED.
    (See Note J, Appendix.)

BBS. D.--Who comes here?

J. D.--Brother Gabe, who has been regularly initiated Entered Apprentice, passed to the Degree of Fellow Craft, and now wishes to receive further light in the BBS, by being raised to the sublime Degree of a Master Mamasan.

BBS. D.--Brother Gabe, is it of your own free-will and accord?

Candidate--It is.

BBS. D.--Brother Junior Deacon, is he worthy and well qualified, having attended the appropriate number of shows?

J. D.--He is.

BBS. D.--Duly and truly prepared? His hard drive checked for errors, and all files passed MD5 verification?

J. D--He is, and it has.

BBS. D.--Has he made suitable proficiency in the preceding degrees? He knows the lyrics to all songs, and the order of all songs on all albums, including fan club singles and unreleased tracks?

J. D.--He has.

BBS. D.--And properly vouched for within the 10 club?

J. D.--He is.

BBS. D.--Who vouches for him?

J. D.--A brother.

BBS. D.--By what further right or benefit does he expect to gain admission?

J. D.--By the benefit of a previously uncirculated bootleg from a 1991 Mookie Blaylock show.

BBS. D.--Has he the FLAC files?

J. D.--He has them not, but I have helped him encode the WAVs myself.

BBS. D.--Advance, and tell me.

Junior Deacon here steps forward and whispers in the Senior Deacon's ear, "R-C-K-N-D-Y 07/04/91"

BBS. D.--This is good; you will wait with patience until the Worshipful Master has verified the show and an answer returned.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    What kind of secret society announces the date and location of it's next meeting on a public message board?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• on2legs wrote:
    What kind of secret society announces the date and location of it's next meeting on a public message board?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTIP7CAtAak#at=21

oh...
    and
    http://www.cgmna.org/Conference.htm
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • I have a feeling the op is dead serious. I hate how certain pj fans, and yes there are entire groups if these mofos that show that they have something (that is so easily tradable), yet rub our noses in it by saying ''you cant have it''