Even Flow - move to encore Yes or No?

pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
edited August 2013 in The Porch
So in the Even Flow thread a few of us said maybe move this song to the encore. Maybe as far back as replacing RITFW. I know some say they've heard it enough but I think it would re-energize the song, especially since it still rocks. What do people think, more it to the encore, yes or no?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    I think Even Flow should be retired. Ed's vocals can't handle it anymore and Mike's solos have turned into jam sessions. It hasn't sounded good since 2000 and it gets worse every year.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    As long as they bring back Matt's solo alongside the "Wah"! intro, I don't mind where it will be placed.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    in love it as opener,as last sond,in the main set,in the encore

should play it at every show
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 579
    Too many bladders won't make it to the encore :roll:

I was fortunate to hear this song as an opener and it was crazy. Very unexpected and fun. Pittsburgh 2003 maybe?
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    They should open with it sometime, like the Pittsburgh 2000 version
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    no...too high energy of a song to close with imo. Crowd fav that should be in the middle after a slower song to kick the crowd in the nuts and get going again.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    It could definitely be in the encore, and I don't really see why it couldn't.

Far as how they play it....
    EV does struggle with it at times and I've never thought it was a particularly taxing song on the vox. It's also missing the groove and heaviness that makes it such a great song.

It's easy to see the problem with it...it's way too fast. Slow it back down so Ed can catch his breath and magically the groove will return.

Regardless of setlist placement, keep the drumo solo out of it. It's tacky and forced in a place it doesn't fit.
  • pbultimate wrote:
    Too many bladders won't make it to the encore :roll:

I was fortunate to hear this song as an opener and it was crazy. Very unexpected and fun. Pittsburgh 2003 maybe?

i believe that was Pitt 2000. The same show where they brought the "Wash Girl" on stage.

Also Even Flow was in the encore slot during the '96 tour and it ruled!
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    i agree with dimitri
    those who have a comment/complaint about evenflow....know your role, get over yourselves...
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    law21 wrote:
    those who have a comment/complaint about evenflow....know your role, get over yourselves...

Rock is that you? :lol:
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Nami wrote:
    law21 wrote:

Rock is that you? :lol:

:lol:

I'm free to express my opinion so long as I keep it respectful. You're free to think that PJ does no wrong.
    how many times have you seen evenflow dewie???......IT DOESNT MATTER HOW MANY TIMES.....KNOW YOUR ROLE AND_____________!!!!!!

IF YA SMELL.........
  • I agree with Dimitri also.

Just hoping that they slow Even Flow down back to where it started tempo-wise...
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Yeah sure. Alternate between it and Alive, or have it replace RITFW. Could be a great way to end everything before YL.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    I've seen Even Flow as an encore twice and I thought both times were pretty cool.

I saw them start Encore 2 with it at Cardiff in 2000 (followed by Smile and Yellow Ledbetter) and close Encore 1 with it at the Newcastle show in 2006 (after Crown of Thorns and Alone). I like it better as the beginning of an encore; it really gets everyone pumped again.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Pap wrote:
    As long as they bring back Matt's solo alongside the "Wah"! intro, I don't mind where it will be placed.
    :clap:
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    when they play this version of Even Flow they can put it anywhere and it will be great
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07OeTiPSc8Y
  • YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    With what Dewie said earlier - regardless of where it's played in the set list, it's how they play it that could change the most. It definitely misses that more heavy and groovy feel these days and is played way too damn fast. Although many still complain about it, it still is a great live song.....but definitely could help my slowing it down a bit and capturing more of that heavy groove it once had.

I think it actually sits pretty well earlier in the set in the number 2 or 3 spot in the set. Especially after a slower opener. Sort of like how they did it in the SA shows earlier this year. I think it could fit well opening or closing an encore here or there, or even closing the main set once in a while - give RVM and Porch a rest in those spots for a change from time to time.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    when they play this version of Even Flow they can put it anywhere and it will be great
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07OeTiPSc8Y

Now, that's what I'm talking about! :D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484

Wow, you nailed it with your forum name. I wish they name an album like Jumbojet, some day.
    And those who laugh at me, please dont, if Where's the sponge can be a songname, Jumbojet can make it too.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • DevonPearlDevonPearl Posts: 284
    Move it into the third encore with Alive :D
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    I hope some new arrangements to setlists are on the way.

- Songs way often played, can take a rest. Especially some songs from Yield.

- Could insert Of the earth as a jamsong to close main sets and retire good old RVM and Porch.

- Play either Even Flow or Alive per one show.

- Retire all the covers, they were necessary at the initial phase, now they arent needed anymore.

- Introduce more Lost Dogs, Binaural and Riot Act and all the songs hiden in the shelves that we even dont know about.

- Introduce some EV, Stone solo or other side project songs as covers instead. Let's see what the band can do with them.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • UmikoUmiko Buenos Aires, Argentina Posts: 38
    I love Even Flow and specially when I see it live. I don't care in which part of the show it's played ( opener, main set, encore ) I only hope they continue playing it.

One of the best moments of my life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1c2ELoorQc
  • YLed2 wrote:
    With what Dewie said earlier - regardless of where it's played in the set list, it's how they play it that could change the most. It definitely misses that more heavy and groovy feel these days and is played way too damn fast. Although many still complain about it, it still is a great live song.....but definitely could help my slowing it down a bit and capturing more of that heavy groove it once had.

I think it actually sits pretty well earlier in the set in the number 2 or 3 spot in the set. Especially after a slower opener. Sort of like how they did it in the SA shows earlier this year. I think it could fit well opening or closing an encore here or there, or even closing the main set once in a while - give RVM and Porch a rest in those spots for a change from time to time.

Yes. I agree, SLOW IT DOWN, for Christ sakes! It hasn't had that nice chilling grove since the mid-90's. I used to love it in the 2nd slot. Release > Even Flow . . . ahhh the good old days, but I know its not 1995 anymore.

I agree with the OP, stick it in the Encores, imagine a show that doesn't end with RIFW, YL, Indifference, Baba, seems like the closer is a bit predictable nowadays. Again- harking back to older days, I think a wonderful show was in Hawaii '98 closing the show with State of love and trust, now that's variety! That's ballsy! That's what used to turn me on to this band so much!
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • nc_jammer1nc_jammer1 Posts: 484
    There's always newbie / casual fans at shows, and Even Flow is BIG for them.

The version at the outdoor show in Calgary 2009 was the best I've seen,...the tempo was decent. Great vibe that evening.
    Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thqFmBqhK8g
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    jumbojet wrote:

- Play either Even Flow or Alive per one show.
    A few people have said it, but THIS would be a big improvement.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC