Options

*I Am Mine* in NY/Philly for my GF who died age 25 this year

Erik1977Erik1977 Heerlen Posts: 140
edited October 2013 in The Porch
Last February 19th my girlfriend Lisa died at the age of 25 as a result of metastatic breast cancer. We have been together for almost 10 years and one thing we shared and had in common was our love and passion for Pearl Jam. We went to 17 shows together all over Europe and saw EV twice together. One of our dreams was to see PJ perform live in the US. This would now definitely have been the case if Lisa was still with us and still healthy. Although it will be very emotional and difficult shows for me I decided to travel to both Brooklyn and Philadelphia shows by myself from the Netherlands. It feels like something I just have to do now, no matter how hard and emotional it will be.
A lot of PJ songs had a very special meaning to Lisa and she got a lot of strength from the lyrics. One of the songs that became like her own soundtrack for life and had a very special meaning to her was 'I am mine'. Last year she even had the line 'the in between is mine...I am mine' tattooed on her arm where the chemo therapy went though. The song was also played at her cremation along with live versions of some of her favorite PJ songs from shows we've been to. That's why I would like to request for I AM MINE to be played at one of the Brooklyn or Philly shows where I'll be at. For Lisa. I miss her.

Erik
2000 Pinkpop
2006 Arnhem, Antwerp
2007 Düsseldorf, Nijmegen
2009 Rotterdam, London
2010 London, Nijmegen, Berlin, Arras, Werchter
2012 Manchester I, Amsterdam I + II, Werchter, Berlin I + II, Stockholm
2013 Brooklyn I + II, Philly I + II
2014 Amsterdam I + II, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Werchter, Leeds
2016 Fenway I + II
2018 Amsterdam I + II, Pinkpop, London I + II, Padova, Kraków, Barcelona, Seattle I + II
2022 Pinkpop, Zürich, Frankfurt, London I + II, Prague , Amsterdam I, Amsterdam II
2023 Austin I + II

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    Erik, that is a very sad story. I am sorry for your loss.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Erik1977 wrote:
    Last February 19th my girlfriend Lisa died at the age of 25 as a result of metastatic breast cancer. We have been together for almost 10 years and one thing we shared and had in common was our love and passion for Pearl Jam. We went to 17 shows together all over Europe and saw EV twice together. One of our dreams was to see PJ perform live in the US. This would now definitely have been the case if Lisa was still with us and still healthy. Although it will be very emotional and difficult shows for me I decided to travel to both Brooklyn and Philadelphia shows by myself from the Netherlands. It feels like something I just have to do now, no matter how hard and emotional it will be.
    A lot of PJ songs had a very special meaning to Lisa and she got a lot of strength from the lyrics. One of the songs that became like her own soundtrack for life and had a very special meaning to her was 'I am mine'. Last year she even had the line 'the in between is mine...I am mine' tattooed on her arm where the chemo therapy went though. The song was also played at her cremation along with live versions of some of her favorite PJ songs from shows we've been to. That's why I would like to request for I AM MINE to be played at one of the Brooklyn or Philly shows where I'll be at. For Lisa. I miss her.

Erik

I feel your pain

in 2011 I also lost my girlfriend/fiancee to cancer. She was 33 years old.

Since then the community has been amazing towards me and my story.

Every time i hear long road it makes me think of her, and my brother who passed at 21.. So little time in this life and we have to utilize every second of it..

Bump for you and i hope you get your song. Stay positive... it will get easier

Steve
  • Options
    GirlLovesPJGirlLovesPJ New Jersey Posts: 1,001
    edited August 2013
    Good God... only 25 years old. My thoughts and prayers are with you Erik.

PJ please play "I am Mine" for Lisa.
    2012: Philadelphia, Atlanta
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Chicago, Worcester 1 & 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Philadelphia 1 & 2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Oslo, Gdynia, Leeds, Cincinnati, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2015: New York City, Mexico City
    2016: Miami, Columbia, New York City 2, Quebec City, Chicago 2
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2
    2022: New York City 2, Camden
    2023: St. Paul 1 & 2, Chicago 2, Austin 1 & 2
  • Options
    [/quote]

I feel your pain

in 2011 I also lost my girlfriend/fiancee to cancer. She was 33 years old.

Since then the community has been amazing towards me and my story.

Every time i hear long road it makes me think of her, and my brother who passed at 21.. So little time in this life and we have to utilize every second of it..

Bump for you and i hope you get your song. Stay positive... it will get easier

Steve[/quote]

Thanks for sharing your story Steve! I completely agree with you that we have so little little time in this life and we have to utilize every second of it. "No time to be void or save up on life, you've got to spend it all" just says it all for me.
    One of the things I admired (and still do of course) a lot with Lisa was that no matter how small her world eventually became because of her illness and no matter how much sacrfices she had to make in daily life, she always tried to enjoy the smallest things in life, no matter if it were the sunrays, flowers that came out in our garden, being amongst friends, etc.

Once again thanks Steve and all the best!
    2000 Pinkpop
    2006 Arnhem, Antwerp
    2009 Rotterdam, London
    2016 Fenway I + II
    2018 Amsterdam I + II, Pinkpop, London I + II, Padova, Kraków, Barcelona, Seattle I + II
    2022 Pinkpop, Zürich, Frankfurt, London I + II, Prague , Amsterdam I, Amsterdam II
    2023 Austin I + II

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    I am sorry for your loss

please play it for Lisa
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I am sorry for your loss

please play it for Lisa

oh Erik...i just realise who are you and Lisa.,..we was together at Berlin 10 show..sit next to eachother..

saw the picture we had together..

oh..im so sorry man..oh..im really sorry
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    :( so sorry about your loss. I hope you get your request. It's a very powerful song, and it has a great message, which is why I chose it for my tattoo as well.
  • Options
    Erik,

I am so sorry for your loss and I hope you get your wish to hear this song which is of such significance.

Please play this in Lisa's memory.
  • Options
    KC70033KC70033 Posts: 84
    Erik!!! Lets get this song played...I applaud u for being brave and traveling to these shows... She will be with u in one form or another...

Best,
    Kev
    Kevin frank
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    sorry for you, man. good luck with this and everything, brother.
  • Options
    Erik, I am so sorry for your loss. I am hoping and praying that "I am Mine " is played for Lisa. She sounded like a very special person, and I am hoping you find comfort in your memories, and in PJ's music. I am glad you will be there at the shows, and I hope to meet you, in either Philly or NY.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    Erik, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my GF on Feb. 19th as well. She was a huge EV fan, and the one PJ show I took her to in Vancouver wsa the best concert experience she ever had.

I hope that the band will play I am Mine for you and Lisa. Best of luck with everything my Brother!!

Cheers and be well,
    Brian
    Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
  • Options
    Thanks all for the kind replies and nice words! It means a lot to me!
    2000 Pinkpop
    2006 Arnhem, Antwerp
    2009 Rotterdam, London
    2016 Fenway I + II
    2023 Austin I + II

• Options
    don smithdon smith Posts: 833
    you need both! girls are hard to come by!
    peace
    06/12/03,06/13/03
    10-05-04 09-09-05
    05-16-06-5-17-06-5-19-06,06-26-06-06-27-06 05-03-10 09-04-11
    07/19/13 11-15-13
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I'm very sorry for your loss.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    To the top!
  • Options
    bramnieskensbramnieskens The Netherlands Posts: 101
    I have countless wishes of PJ playing my favorite songs but reading these kind of stories make me just realize some people deserve it more than others.
    Please PJ listen to them as you did at Wrigley...
    Make them feel stronger..

I'm sorry for your loss Erik..

2007: Nijmegen
    2010: Nijmegen
    2012: Amsterdam 1
    2013: Los Angeles 1 & 2
    2014: Gold Coast
    2018: Amsterdam 1 & 2, Prague, Krakow, Berlin

• Options
    For Lisa
  • Options
    Erik, I am so sorry for your loss. I am hoping and praying that "I am Mine " is played for Lisa. She sounded like a very special person, and I am hoping you find comfort in your memories, and in PJ's music. I am glad you will be there at the shows, and I hope to meet you, in either Philly or NY.

Thanks! I hope we can meet too. I'm always looking forward to meet other Jammers from all over the world. I'm also planning to go to one or more Wishlist preparties in Brooklyn and Philly, so if anyone wants to hang out at one of those parties, feel free to hit me up!
    2000 Pinkpop
    2006 Arnhem, Antwerp
    2009 Rotterdam, London
    2016 Fenway I + II
    2023 Austin I + II

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,711
    Heartbreaking story...so sorry for your loss....
  • Options
    For Lisa
  • Options
    Please play "I Am Mine" for Erik and Lisa in NY or Philly.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    sorry for your loss :cry: this needs to happen, also I wished PJ played I Am Mine more often, awesome song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkgv3LoQY2o
  • Options
    alexross42alexross42 Posts: 359
    Sorry for your loss, I hope this gets played for you - as others have said, it is a great song and doesn't get played enough.
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    Aw man, I always get a lump in my throat reading posts like this.
    I´m very sorry for your loss and life sometimes seems totally unfair and meaningless.
    The cards we´ve been dealt.....

I wish you much happiness in life. I´m sure you will find comfort in friends and this great band. I hope it will get played for you and I think it´s the right thing for you to go to the states. I hope you will have a great time at the shows!

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    bump. Tragic loss, I'm so sorry.

PLAY IT.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss.

PJ, please play "I Am Mine" for both Erik and Lisa in NY and/or Philly.
  • Options
    Bump for a great guy!
  • Options
    Bump this up to the top!

So so sorry for your loss; I will be thinking of you in NY and Philly!!!!
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Bump, make this happen!