Food while on tour......

124»

Comments

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    dankind wrote:
    Not for nothing but there's a really good BBQ joint blocks away from the Barclays Center. It's so good that you'll be saying Fuckin A, that is good BBQ.

Are you referring to The Smoke Joint?

Yes.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • ratmandoratmando Moss Beach, CA Posts: 344
    mca47 wrote:
    SENROCK wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    Phoenix:
    mca47's place. Awesome grub! It'll only cost you beer. :D

what will you serve?!!! :D
    I have a full menu but it'll likely be the nightly special. Good stuff!
    You 're now my best friend. :mrgreen:
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau
  • morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    In Seattle, 215 James St (between 2nd Ave & 3rd Ave); Pioneer Square area:

Chuck's Hole In the Wall BBQ.

And it really is a hole in the wall. It's really just a take-out counter, but there are a few seats in there. It's fucking amazing. They are only open weekdays, 11am - 3pm or earlier if they run out of food. They are only open for this short amount of time because they don't think that BBQ that is more than 4 hours old is worth serving. They take their BBQ seriously. Brisket (*drool*), pulled pork, and turkey if I remember correctly. Best BBQ I've ever had. So get there early to make sure you get some, and don't forget the beans - they are also amazing. :)
    Sounds great!!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Some decent places in Hartford and surrounding area's

The Corner Pug - West Hartford (Great Irish Pub)
    The Beachland Tavern - West Hartford
    The Half Door - Hartford (Irish Pub)
    Salute
    Trumbull Kitchen
    City Steam
    Vaughn's Publik House
    Franklin Giant Grinder
    O'Roarks - Middletown
    Sliders - Berlin, Plainville
    J. Timothy's - Plainville
    Pepe's - Manchester, New Haven
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    PJ_Soul wrote:

And it really is a hole in the wall. It's really just a take-out counter, but there are a few seats in there. It's fucking amazing. They are only open weekdays, 11am - 3pm or earlier if they run out of food. They are only open for this short amount of time because they don't think that BBQ that is more than 4 hours old is worth serving. They take their BBQ seriously. Brisket (*drool*), pulled pork, and turkey if I remember correctly. Best BBQ I've ever had. So get there early to make sure you get some, and don't forget the beans - they are also amazing. :)

We can agree to disagree on this one ;)

I've made it a personal challenge to find excellent BBQ in Seattle. It doesn't exist. :mrgreen:

There's a place in Lake City and in Sea-Tac that are pretty good, but those are both short drives.
    NERDS!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind wrote:
    Not for nothing but there's a really good BBQ joint blocks away from the Barclays Center. It's so good that you'll be saying Fuckin A, that is good BBQ.

Are you referring to The Smoke Joint?

Yes.

Good stuff, but I actually like the BBQ at Waterfront Ale House on Atlantic better. I think I'm alone on that one. There's a special place in my stomach for their mustard slaw and their homemade hot sauce (Sam's, I think). Nom!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Hey, if you drink enough and smoke enough weed, I am pretty sure there is a Taco Bell in every town..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul wrote:

We can agree to disagree on this one ;)

I've made it a personal challenge to find excellent BBQ in Seattle. It doesn't exist. :mrgreen:

There's a place in Lake City and in Sea-Tac that are pretty good, but those are both short drives.

:o Yes, let's agree to disagree. :lol: ..... Great reviews online too...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    PRL1JAM wrote:
    King Taco- Los Angeles

NO!!! I thought Paul would be the one to post that!!! haha

and hey, wasn't that guy at the sandwich shop named Rupert????? That was a GREAT sammich!!! It was in Union Square in SF!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    SENROCK wrote:
    PRL1JAM wrote:
    King Taco- Los Angeles

NO!!! I thought Paul would be the one to post that!!! haha

and hey, wasn't that guy at the sandwich shop named Rupert????? That was a GREAT sammich!!! It was in Union Square in SF!

hahaha! I think that was his name! Didn't have the best presentation in the shop. Sandwich sign needed some work, however, his sammiches were GREAT! :thumbup:
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    Good stuff, but I actually like the BBQ at Waterfront Ale House on Atlantic better. I think I'm alone on that one. There's a special place in my stomach for their mustard slaw and their homemade hot sauce (Sam's, I think). Nom![/quote]

I have not. Where on Atlantic is that?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • jodiemjodiem Posts: 133
    I don't want to sound ungrateful.... cos I actually think this is such an awesome thread.. :thumbup: :clap: .... but I am going to come back from this tour the size of a house :fp: :fp: All of the suggestions look amazing!!!

Any healthy restaurants/cafes?

Thanks muchly! ;)
    1995: Perth
    2006: Sydney x 2
    2009: Philly, Sydney
    2013: San Diego, LA1 & 2, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle

EV Solo - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney x 2
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind wrote:
    Good stuff, but I actually like the BBQ at Waterfront Ale House on Atlantic better. I think I'm alone on that one. There's a special place in my stomach for their mustard slaw and their homemade hot sauce (Sam's, I think). Nom!

I have not. Where on Atlantic is that?

Between Clinton and Henry.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    jodiem wrote:
    I don't want to sound ungrateful.... cos I actually think this is such an awesome thread.. :thumbup: :clap: .... but I am going to come back from this tour the size of a house :fp: :fp: All of the suggestions look amazing!!!

Thanks muchly! ;)

What cities are you seeing shows in? Maybe we can get some direct info for where you are going if its not listed. There are a bunch of healthy ones in the Los Angeles section in the first post. :)

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

edited August 2013
    jodiem wrote:

Thanks muchly! ;)
    Vancouver is loaded with Sushi and health food places. There are more sushi restaurants than Starbucks. Just stand on a street and turn around once, and you'll probably see one. :lol: Most are super cheap and tasty fresh. Commercial Drive between Broadway and Parker is a good place to go for unique independent places, vegetarian, ethiopian, authentic Mexican, and tapas.... there is also a good record store there. :) ... And if you want to buy weed, you'll probably find some there... If you have a prescription for medical marijuana, or simply want to buy a new bong, there is a medical dealer shop there too. Something for everyone on that strip! :P
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Great idea. I'm a vegetarian so these are all places that have great veggie/vegan food.

Seattle
    Araya's ---> Vegan Thai. In the U-district. AMAZING!
    Bamboo Garden ---> Vegan/Kosher Chinese. A couple blocks from the Key Arena (try the "chicken" balls!)
    Georgetown Liqour Company ----> Veggie/Vegan american. In Georgetown (southern end of Seattle). Sandwiches include the Picard and Darth Ruben. They have a nice brunch on the weekends. (open late)
    Meanders ----> Brunch/lunch, Veggie friendly. In the White Center neighborhood of West Seattle. Terrific breakfast items... highly recommend the biscuts and gravy. (closes at 3pm, but does have late nights on friday and saturday)
    Easy Street cafe ---> Brunch/lunch, veggie friendly. West Seattle, cafe inside the record store... great food and the largest mimosas you will ever see! (open 7am-ish to 3pm)

Vancouver
    Hun's Wun Tun House ----> Asain, with separate veggie and meat kitchens.
    Cafe' Crepe ---> several around town... great crepes and even better drink prices!
    Great idea. I'm a vegetarian so these are all places that have great veggie/vegan food.

Seattle
    Araya's ---> Vegan Thai. In the U-district. AMAZING!
    Bamboo Garden ---> Vegan/Kosher Chinese. A couple blocks from the Key Arena (try the "chicken" balls!)
    Georgetown Liqour Company ----> Veggie/Vegan american. In Georgetown (southern end of Seattle). Sandwiches include the Picard and Darth Ruben. They have a nice brunch on the weekends. (open late)
    Meanders ----> Brunch/lunch, Veggie friendly. In the White Center neighborhood of West Seattle. Terrific breakfast items... highly recommend the biscuts and gravy. (closes at 3pm, but does have late nights on friday and saturday)
    Easy Street cafe ---> Brunch/lunch, veggie friendly. West Seattle, cafe inside the record store... great food and the largest mimosas you will ever see! (open 7am-ish to 3pm)

Vancouver
    Hun's Wun Tun House ----> Asain, with separate veggie and meat kitchens.
    Cafe' Crepe ---> several around town... great crepes and even better drink prices!
    Ooo, Cafe Crepe really does have good crepes! Yum!
  • Overrated Food:
    Seattle:
    Dick's
    Crab Pot
    Wasabi Bistro

Portland:
    Henry's Tavern
    Most Food Carts

Portland:
    Voodoo Donuts
    Gorge
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Overrated Food:
    Seattle:
    Dick's
    Crab Pot
    Wasabi Bistro

Portland:
    Henry's Tavern
    Most Food Carts

Portland:
    Voodoo Donuts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq5dY_LOM0g

i gotta try the Blazing Blunt and Memphis Mafia
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    rssesq wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:
    food is for wimps ;) Beer and cigarettes are all you need ;)

D'oh! I don't do beer & cigarettes. :(

Any local Greek restaurants from Portland to Seattle tour you would recommend to check out?

in america greek restaurants are called Diners and they are everywhere.
    "Scramble three medium with cheese, well done bacon and well done home fries and dry rye toast please." ;)

I did not know of this. :shock:

Loved the Mad Greek joint @ Baker, CA while driving to Las Vegas. Even though everyone working behind the counter that day didn't speak a word of Greek, the food was great!
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,905
    Another decent place in California... Long Beach loction is fun with a nice patio and not too far from the waterfront... http://georgesgreekcafe.com/
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • jodiemjodiem Posts: 133
    edited August 2013
    SENROCK wrote:
    jodiem wrote:

Thanks muchly! ;)

What cities are you seeing shows in? Maybe we can get some direct info for where you are going if its not listed. There are a bunch of healthy ones in the Los Angeles section in the first post. :)

Sorry, probably should have specified that... :)

I'm doing the San Diego to Seattle leg.. I have seen some of the LA selections and the newly posted Vegetarian ones help heaps too... I'm definitely not that healthy, but can't have a burger every day... or can I??? :angel: :think:
    Post edited by jodiem on
    1995: Perth
    2006: Sydney x 2
    2009: Philly, Sydney
    2013: San Diego, LA1 & 2, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle

EV Solo - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney x 2
    rssesq wrote:
    Overrated Food:
    Seattle:
    Dick's
    Crab Pot
    Wasabi Bistro

Portland:
    Henry's Tavern
    Most Food Carts

Portland:
    Voodoo Donuts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq5dY_LOM0g

i gotta try the Blazing Blunt and Memphis Mafia

True . . . But if you go to Voodoo II on the East side, you will only wait in line for a few minutes vs. potentially an hour.

Skip the Blazing Blunt, it's not that tasty.
    NERDS!
    jodiem wrote:

Thanks muchly! ;)
    Chaco Canyon in Seattle. There's one in West Seattle or by UW.
    NERDS!
  • a few off the top for CHARLOTTE:

Practially Famous Fried Chicken: (don't expect gourmet, this place is streeeeet)

Price's Chicken Coop
    1614 Camden Rd, Charlotte, NC ‎
    (704) 333-9866

Best Hipster Diner In Town:

Pinky's Westside Grille
    1600 W Morehead St, Charlotte, NC ‎
    (704) 332-0402

Lotta people from Charlotte have this place on boycott cuz of ownership horseshit,
    but it made it to that TV Show "Dives and Dine-Ins" or whatever. Pinky's is better,
    and half of their staff moved over there. But give it a try if you must:

The Penguin Drive-In
    1921 Commonwealth Ave, Charlotte, NC ‎
    (704) 375-1925

This place has been my fav since highschool.
    Order at the counter. The "chicken and black bean combo" is fucking where its at.
    Get extra beans as your side item. Add a shit load more onions from the condiment bar,
    and get an extra cup of the jaco sauce, smother it. and chow down. nom nom nom.

The Roasting Company
    1601 Montford Dr, Charlotte, NC ‎
    (704) 521-8188

A great place to hang out and get beer, burgers, and bar food, its hugely popular, and bound to be packed day of show:
    Philosopher's Stone Tavern
    1958 E 7th St, Charlotte, NC ‎
    (704) 350-1331

Up the street a bit from the P-Stone -- a general store, great place to grab bottled beer, or draft beer, and you can drink on premise, and they have "hippie food" at a deli counter ... great place to find dread heads, and hipsters alike (2 locations, and going to either will put you in an area smack dab in the center of hipsters, youth culture, food, bars, etc)
    The Common Market
    2007 Commonwealth Ave, Charlotte, NC ‎
    (704) 334-6209

"new" second location:
    The Common Market
    1515 S Tryon St, Charlotte, NC ‎
    (704) 332-7782

around the corner from Common Market on Commonwealth:
    Great place to hear a DJ, see upscale hipsters, and eat fusion small plates:
    Soul Gastrolounge
    1500 Central Ave Charlotte, NC 28205
    (704) 348-1848

Good art bar with great beer on tap directly underneath Soul (above entry) [no food]
    Art Twenty-Two
    1500 Central Ave Charlotte, NC 28205
    (704) 334-0122

On my personal boycott list since the half owner (a good friend of a friend) got fucked, but the place is still pretty great, and also right in the same cross street section of town as Common Market

Zada Jane's Corner Cafe
    1601 Central Ave, Charlotte, NC ‎
    (704) 332-3663

down the street a block the other way from Common Market, and if you are stupid hungry or just want to fuck with yourself, get try eating their "Diamond Challenge" or whatever its called. The biggest fucking club sandwich ever for like $20 ... straight up around 3lbs of meat on it or some horseshit:
    Diamond Restaurant
    1901 Commonwealth Ave, Charlotte, NC ‎
    (704) 375-8959

down the street from the common market area:
    This place is twice as crazy as the name, owned (now formerly owned?) by charlotte-area infamous pedophile "KC", the evil-mad-genius behind the long-gone (and fabulous) "Fat City" in "North Davidson" before it became "NoDa". Place is like asian-fucked-in-the-face-mexican-fusion (i don't know?) large portions (some items) crazy ass decorations (half of them made by children), strong margaritas, and (for me at least) memories of being offered "a nap on my couch" by the owner, who would serve underage kids in the hopes of getting in their pants (i mean his pad was the top floor of Fat City -- "hey go upstairs, smoke some weed, and lie down, its cool" -- doh. no its not.)
    TRY THE FUCKING BLACK EYED PEA SALAD (the only thing on the menu from the former joint, Fat City, it is THA BOMB)

Krazy Fish
    2501 Central Ave, Charlotte, NC ‎
    (704) 332-1004
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    jodiem wrote:
    Sorry, probably should have specified that... :)

I'm doing the San Diego to Seattle leg.. I have seen some of the LA selections and the newly posted Vegetarian ones help heaps too... I'm definitely not that healthy, but can't have a burger every day... or can I??? :angel: :think:

:lol: there are other places that are not burger joints too! :D But at most places in L.A, burger places sell a variety of food and usually have lots to choose from. We will find something for you! :D

We need food suggestions for the Worcester area!!!

• rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    where are the good foodie spots in Spokane?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I just want to give Bakery Nouveau a shout out...one in Capitol Hill and one just a few doors down from Easy Street.

Easy Street serves up a great breakfast-good place to people watch too ;)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I just want to give Bakery Nouveau a shout out...one in Capitol Hill and one just a few doors down from Easy Street.

Easy Street serves up a great breakfast-good place to people watch too ;)
    I could eat their Macaroons for every meal :lol::lol:
    NERDS!