Options

I got scammed buying PJ Seattle tix off Craigslist

slingsling Posts: 169
edited August 2013 in The Porch
:cry:

Yes, I was taken in! I was dumb enough to Western Union someone money for PJ tix!

I got shut out by 10C and Ticketmaster for the PJ Seattle tix and was so excited to see some for below face on Craigslist, that I lost all my reason & wired money. The guy was very convincing about how he got his Paypal account frozen because someone else had tried to send him money through it with a stolen credit card. Now I haven't heard back from him since he picked up the cash. I had even written him that I would send him a bootleg of last year's Missoula concert for his trouble! GRRRRR.

I've never been scammed before and it burns me that somebody would use my love of PJ to do it! I probably would never have trusted buying tix from out of state if it weren't for PJ ... We all know they have plenty of people who travel for their shows, & this guy had said he was planning to do a father/son trip out & had to cancel... It all sounded very believable.

Just curious if anyone else has ever had this happen to them... and also, I'm still looking for Seattle tix... anyone have extras they're willing to sell? :cry:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 645
    Lesson learned: never wire money to anyone...ever!
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, I saw that on Craigslist after I got back to my regular computer at home. :( (after wiring the money) I was too quick to do everything on my smartphone "before the tickets were sold to someone else" to see the reminder!

P.S. Also, while I was wiring the money with Western Union, I actually asked them if there was a way to get a refund if I was being scammed. They told me yes! Of course, they didn't say that when I called them after the fact...
    Post edited by sling on
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Sorry for your loss, can you report it to anyone?
  • Options
    You can't fix stupid ! :o
  • Options
    sling wrote:
    was so excited to see some for below face on Craigslist

You saw tickets out there for BELOW face value and thought it wasn't a scam? :nono: First mistake. And you second (as you already know) is not going through Paypal. If it seems to good to be true, that's because it is.

Who would resell tickets and lose money to a show like Seattle where the worst seat in the house resells for at least face value...
    2008 - 6/28, 6/30
    2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
    2010 - 5/15, 5/17, 5/20, 5/21
    2011 - 9/3/11, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12, 9/14
    2012 - 9/2
    2013 - 7/19, 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/25
    2014 - 6/16. 6/17, 6/20, 10/1

EV solo 8.1.08, 6.8.09, 6.15.11, 6.16.11
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    sling wrote:
    was so excited to see some for below face on Craigslist

You saw tickets out there for BELOW face value and thought it wasn't a scam? :nono: First mistake. And you second (as you already know) is not going through Paypal. If it seems to good to be true, that's because it is.

Who would resell tickets and lose money to a show like Seattle where the worst seat in the house resells for at least face value...

Well, I've actually gotten that kind of deal off Craigslist MANY times in the past, for even high-demand shows... and they were legit! (But in person) Once I even got a free ticket and enjoyed a great Beck concert! I've sold good deals myself on there as well...

The tickets they were supposed to be selling (there was a picture included) were actually for the very last row in the arena. (but not behind the stage) I figured a scammer would have advertised something at least a little bit better than that!
    You can't fix stupid ! :o

Hey, thanks a lot, buddy! You can't fix somebody who loves to add insult to injury! :?
    Sorry for your loss, can you report it to anyone?

Thanks! Western Union's writing up a report for me to give to law enforcement! Not sure if they'll really do anything!
    Post edited by sling on
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Who I Am wrote:
    Lesson learned: never wire money to anyone...ever!

Very true.. :oops:
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,410
    Come on...seriously?

PayPal bro...NEVER wire the money... :nono: :fp:
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    I'd Stubhub before craigslist
  • Options
    I see everyone has already lectured you on how to go about buying from 3rd parties, so I will not pass any further scolding. But I will pass on a story that may make you feel better, or at least not alone.

I too got scammed once, for $300. I wanted to see mumford and sons but tix sold out. Stubhub was way too pricey and I was desperate for a GA. So I turned to craigslist and found a pair of GA for $150 each. While it was double face value I was desperate and they were far cheaper than stubhub.

So long story short I contacted the seller, met him at a mall, and exchanged cash for hard tix. Now I must say I was far more weary of scamming than you, as I did not hand him the cash until I thoroughly checked out the tix. But for all I could tell they were real, so we exchanged and parted ways.

Now, in hindsight, I'd totally know it was a scam. The guy was wearing a hat, large overcoat, and sunglasses. All I knew was he was African American and about 6'2. I was so excited we got them, but then day of show I go to venue around 11am to be first in line for GA. I'm curious so I go to checker and ask them to verify if my tix are real because they were purchased third party. She examines them: "sure look real. But let me double check for ya hun". She disappears for a minute. Cones back with a grim look on her face:

"I'm so sorry, these are fake".

Yup, these tix were so realistic even She couldn't tell. Turns out all ticketmaster tickets glow blue when put up to a bright light. Obviously mine did not. Since then I have taken Every precaution when dealing with craigslist. If the person seems a little off, there's likely something fishy going on. And above all: make sure the ticket glows!! Haha

Oh and another thing: F*#%! all scammers. Be careful fellow jammers!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    For peace of mind I always use stubhub when in need. Would never do craigslist.

You pay a little extra, but its worth it for the dependability
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    MayDay10 wrote:
    For peace of mind I always use stubhub when in need. Would never do craigslist.

You pay a little extra, but its worth it for the dependability

What I did for the Buffalo show!!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Agreed. I don't wire anything to a stranger. I tend to trust folks here, but outside of the forum, no way. I doubt you will see it again. Does Western Union differentiate between a purchase and sending money to just anyone? If they don't I think you're out of luck. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and try not to dwell on it. If you paid below face hopefully you're not out a bunch of money.

That's too bad, I think you just really wanted it to be true so you convinced yourself. I've been in those situations before, not with tickets but with shitty people that I let into my life :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    I wouldn't announce who did it. Wait and see if they try to pull it again.

EDIT: I just searched and can see the post for sale.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    So sorry to hear about your Mumford & Sons counterfeiting experience, jakesbluskyhome! I guess I should be glad that I already know right now that I've been scammed instead of after driving up to Seattle and being excited for the show for months!
    Suziemay wrote:
    Agreed. I don't wire anything to a stranger. I tend to trust folks here, but outside of the forum, no way. I doubt you will see it again. Does Western Union differentiate between a purchase and sending money to just anyone? If they don't I think you're out of luck. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and try not to dwell on it. If you paid below face hopefully you're not out a bunch of money.

That's too bad, I think you just really wanted it to be true so you convinced yourself. I've been in those situations before, not with tickets but with shitty people that I let into my life :lol::lol::lol:

Yep, that's what I was thinking; that I think I wanted it to be true so much that I got blinded. On the positive side, I've never been scammed so far on who I've let in my life. :) So I guess I can't complain too much!
  • Options
    Waco77Waco77 Posts: 42
    That sucks sling.....I learned my lesson buying tickets off Craigslist....I went that route for MSG2 in 2010...saw a good deal for $100 each ticket in the 100's section...the dude seemed so legit...took the LIRR from Long Island into manhattan to meet this dude at the universal records building...he told me he worked for the record company and they had extras...the douchebag even showed me a pic on his cellphone showing me how he was at a PJ Robin Hood benefit show a few years back...he totally got me...I felt like such a sucker...the section didn't even match the gate entrance on the ticket...and then I had to go on stubhub last minute and buy tix in the 1st row of the 400's for $150 each...so I paid $500 for nosebleeds....epic show though...I remember chatting with some guys at a bar during the pre-party for one of eddies shows at the beacon, and they got scammed by the same guy...Karma's a bitch, I hope that guys I sittin in rikers right now washing his cellmates fruit of the looms......
    Philly 10/31/2009, MSG2 05/21/2010, EV NYC 06/21/2011, Philly 09/02/2012
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I'm not sure about Western Union. I'm assuming you wired from your bank account not in person with cash, so you should contact your bank and see what kind of policy they have for fraudulent purchases. They might give you your money back. If you paid with cash at the window..... I think you might be SOL.

You should report the posting to Craigslist. Even though it probably won't do you any good, cuz THEY aren't gonna give you your money back and they have warnings on their site not to wire money to anyone, but at least they will delete the post and/or delete the scammer's account.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    How much money did you lose? I would agree with you that it was a pretty bonehead thing you did, but maybe all doesn't have to be lost..

Is this financial loss going to severely hurt your ability to be able to try and buy tickets from someone who isn't a complete low-life, blood sucking piece of shit?

If this has really (and be honest) set you back, maybe we can take a pool? I would have 5 on it.. Paypal, of course :)
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    That sucks man I'm really sorry. I'd be fuming... Especially as a pretty broke college kid.

Just a heads up for others out there... I looked into craigslist shit at first and EVERYONE was sketchy so I stopped... Went on facebook and found some groups like "official pj fall tour 2013 ticket trade/purchase page" full of all actual pj fans offering what they have or asking etc... Got a sweet pair of tickets for 2 shows at face value that way. wired them money and they sent me tix and communication was simple and could tell they were 10c or at least big pj fans. Then I got a pair of tix for myself through the forum here, as well as a pair for my friends through the forum here. These are your best routes unless you want to pay more to a scalper. But craigslist or ebay... i just don't trust that shit.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that some arsehole took advantage of you. Some risks pay off sometimes but there just seems to be so many evil bastards out there now. Really sorry mate.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    sling wrote:
    :cry:

Yes, I was taken in! I was dumb enough to Western Union someone money for PJ tix!

I got shut out by 10C and Ticketmaster for the PJ Seattle tix and was so excited to see some for below face on Craigslist, that I lost all my reason & wired money. The guy was very convincing about how he got his Paypal account frozen because someone else had tried to send him money through it with a stolen credit card. Now I haven't heard back from him since he picked up the cash. I had even written him that I would send him a bootleg of last year's Missoula concert for his trouble! GRRRRR.

I've never been scammed before and it burns me that somebody would use my love of PJ to do it! I probably would never have trusted buying tix from out of state if it weren't for PJ ... We all know they have plenty of people who travel for their shows, & this guy had said he was planning to do a father/son trip out & had to cancel... It all sounded very believable.

Just curious if anyone else has ever had this happen to them... and also, I'm still looking for Seattle tix... anyone have extras they're willing to sell? :cry:

:roll: bad decisions make for terrible consequences. :fp:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    Man I am hoping you don't hear from any former Nigerian Prince's who need you take care of $120,000,000 worth of gold for them . . .
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:
    How much money did you lose? I would agree with you that it was a pretty bonehead thing you did, but maybe all doesn't have to be lost..

Is this financial loss going to severely hurt your ability to be able to try and buy tickets from someone who isn't a complete low-life, blood sucking piece of shit?

If this has really (and be honest) set you back, maybe we can take a pool? I would have 5 on it.. Paypal, of course :)

That is so sweet! But no worries; I'll be OK! I actually did get tickets from 10C for the Portland show.

I'm out $132 for the tix including Western Union fees, but will still try to go to the Seattle one if I can get tickets for around face value... I'm 40 and pretty solidly middle class, so this is really a case of "first world problems". :) (I'm more in the "putting things in perspective" phase now instead of the "pissed as hell" one :))

Waco77: I really feel your pain! Terrible story!
  • Options
    P.S. Stubhub having 1450 tickets available for the show is FUCKED UP.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,518
    Some of my rules:

1) don't buy off of CL unless the person accompanies you to the door or the box office to verify the tix are real.
    2) Never trust someone who is selling something online but won't use pay pal (so never wire money!!).
    3) never send money on Paypal as a gift unless you really trust the person or people can vouch for him - add the 1.9% fee if they aren't willing to pay the seller's fee.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    "NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is likely a scammer."

That is the 2nd rule on Craigslist's to avoid scams. Passion is a hard emotion to suppress when PJ tix are involved. This guy has a couple of pairs of tix. SpokenJeremy. Good luck.
    BC69
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Why would anyone buy tickets from craigslist and on top of that use Western Union??? When I think of Western Union I think of Nigerian scams.

10 Club, Ticketmaster, or Stubhub. That's the only three I would ever use.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,160
    sling wrote:
    I was dumb enough to Western Union someone money for PJ tix!
    :fp:
  • Options
    ratmandoratmando Moss Beach, CA Posts: 344
    Please post to Craiglist as well..they have a tag that allows you to get listings removed for these exact reasons. It's up in the right hand corner.. flag the post, and also NOTE the number of the post, and post yourself saying "POST XYZ for tickets to PJ on..... " SCAM... the sooner you get the word out on the list itself the sooner you'll save another person heart break.
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,123
    Your are nuts to go this route IMO.... Pay the extra whatever to have piece of mind

It's really risk management.... The potential bad outweighs saving a few bucks.

Its not worth the headaches to use shady ass Craigslist, or even eBay when it comes to tickets. Also way way way too early to not lookout for a ticket drop and ask around with other 10c, pj fans.

It's like toilet paper... Never go cheap on it, like tickets. Save $ elsewhere.