Options

Backpacks & Flags

calvo17calvo17 Posts: 440
edited August 2013 in The Porch
Will attend NY 1 & 2, Philly 1 & 2 and Hartford. I'm coming from Costa Rica and wanted to ask if there is any restriction as far as taking backpacks and/or flags inside the venues, any advice? My backpack is one of those where you can put your laptop (not that I'm bringing it with me, just to give an idea of the size) and other stuff you would normally take with you for a tourist walk around the city. Thanks!!!
If I knew where it was, I would take you there.
11/20/11 San Jose, Costa Rica
10/18/13 Brooklyn 1
10/19/13 Brooklyn 2
10/21/13 Philly 1
10/22/13 Philly 2 (BREATH!!)
10/25/13 Hartford
10/22/14 Denver (BREATH!!!)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pretty certain both will be forbidden.

that flag shit is obnoxious to those standing behind you.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I don't understand why people want to take flags to concerts. It's not a sporting event or a war and it bothers bunches of people near you.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    know1 wrote:
    I don't understand why people want to take flags to concerts. It's not a sporting event or a war and it bothers bunches of people near you.

Well, the band does seem to encourage it ...
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

its the internationals that do the flag thing... Americans dont do it. If your flag gets in my way, its coming down guaranteed!
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Hold the flag up briefly here and there during the show? cool.

Hold it up for extended periods throughout the whole show? that's just fucking rude.
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    JTH wrote:

Hold it up for extended periods throughout the whole show? that's just fucking rude.

I agree. No one is going to bother a flag-waver if it's up between songs or when noticed by the band for ten seconds. I have no issue with someone representing their area (US or International).
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Wow you guys. Welcome to US FUCKING A I guess. Some of you are assuming that OP will be holding up the flag for the entire duration of the show! I agree with NAUjackfan and JTH, I have no issues with flags and signs in the air briefly but if it's up for an extended amount of time I will probably be tapping you on the shoulder, anywhere in the world :)

OP: I would check with each venue on their policies. Most won't allow backpacks and if that's the case, I would suggest traveling light. You should be able to bring in a small bag but will be subject to security search.

I'm not sure about flags, they may or may not allow it but truthfully I don't think they are looking out for it. What they are looking for are food and beverages because they want you to buy from their vendors inside.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    never had pro with my flag.never someone didnt allow it....it goes out of the pocket only if they play keep on rockin in the fuckin world
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Suziemay wrote:
    I agree with NAUjackfan and JTH, I have no issues with flags and signs in the air briefly
    yeah..that the normal thing to do...is the same with cameras,phones or those drunks hold up their beers and scream "play leash!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    flags get in the way of other people's view; I applaud your enthusiasm but leave it at home.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,688
    calvo17 wrote:
    Will attend NY 1 & 2, Philly 1 & 2 and Hartford. I'm coming from Costa Rica and wanted to ask if there is any restriction as far as taking backpacks and/or flags inside the venues, any advice? My backpack is one of those where you can put your laptop (not that I'm bringing it with me, just to give an idea of the size) and other stuff you would normally take with you for a tourist walk around the city. Thanks!!!

an alternative if you really want people to know you traveled so far.. where it like a cape... :lol: but seriously wont get in the way of views
    EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
    London,ON - 2013
    Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2018
  • Options
    We actually do flags some places in the US of A. At Jazzfest in New Orleans (and now smaller festivals, too), people put identifying flags on tall poles so friends know how to find each other. They're pretty much high enough that they don't bother people around them, and they're fun to look at. :)
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    Flags at concerts are dumb. Annoying and dumb and if it's near me, I may light it on fire. So do yourself and the fans around you a favor and keep it in your back pack if you are in Philly. :mrgreen:
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
    JV130312 wrote:
    Flags at concerts are dumb. Annoying and dumb and if it's near me, I may light it on fire. So do yourself and the fans around you a favor and keep it in your back pack if you are in Philly. :mrgreen:

Now that right there is some of that famous Philly hospitality!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Flags are okay... I like them and all of their colors and stuff... as long as it is in those big, open environments... like on the lawn at the Shoreline Ampitheater.
    But, they should not always be up and waving during the show... it show utter disregard for those fans seated behind you. Wave them as the band enters and leaves and when Eddie is talking or something... but, take them down when the music is playing.
    Dance during that time.
    Courtesy to fellow humans should take priority over nationalism.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    JV130312 wrote:

Now that right there is some of that famous Philly hospitality!
    That's funny... what you said... not the part about a large sheet of burning nylon fabric waving over the heads of hundreds of people... launching balls of flaming toxic Napalm that sticks to the heads of unsuspecting female fans, causing the 3.5 pints of dried Aquanet in their hair to burst into flames.
    That latter part... not so funny.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JV130312 wrote:
    I hope for everyone's sake that Rick Monday is at that show.

RICKMONDAYBOBBLEHEAD.jpg
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    JV130312 wrote:

RICKMONDAYBOBBLEHEAD.jpg

WELL PLAYED SIR! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    Shoes...Shoes for my friends!
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    JV130312 wrote:

RICKMONDAYBOBBLEHEAD.jpg
    That bobble head would be good... the only problem... Rick Monday should be wearing a Dodgers uniform. That situation occurred when Monday was playing center field for the Dodgers.
    But, yeah... no flag burning, please.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    calvo17calvo17 Posts: 440
    Thanks for all the info. Obviously, I don’t intend to hold the flag up in the air the whole show, not even for extended periods of time.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there.
    11/20/11 San Jose, Costa Rica
    10/18/13 Brooklyn 1
    10/19/13 Brooklyn 2
    10/21/13 Philly 1
    10/22/13 Philly 2 (BREATH!!)
    10/25/13 Hartford
    10/22/14 Denver (BREATH!!!)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    flags get in the way of other people's view; I applaud your enthusiasm but leave it at home.
    +1

(All it is, is egoistic and with lack of empathy for fellow concert goers. If used - use them BRIEFLY.)

(And it's :roll: to wave around nationalistic symbols)

(And the same with huge backpacks which too many 10c members on the European tour wears.)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    That bobble head would be good... the only problem... Rick Monday should be wearing a Dodgers uniform. That situation occurred when Monday was playing center field for the Dodgers.
    But, yeah... no flag burning, please.
    Nope. It happened at Dodger Stadium, but in 1976, when Monday was still a Cub. The Dodgers are giving those bobbles away when the Cubs come to town in a few weeks.

7dmsrPqJ.jpg
  • Options
    lowlight79lowlight79 Posts: 205
    Yeah, not to be rude, but if you got a flag in front of where I sit on this tour, I will make sure it goes down.
    "Only curfews can keep us down"
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    JTH wrote:

ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018