PJ really needs to have higher allotment for fans.

TD-2243TD-2243 Posts: 103
edited July 2013 in The Porch
I know there have been threads like this, but I feel the need to make my own. I type this with a true devotion for this band. I am a long time fan and 15 year 10C member. I've bought tickets through the various means the 10C has tried over the decade plus. So, my 'whining' comes with a history of experience. The 10C is made up of people who are trying their best to manage what seems to be a jillion members these days.

These are some of my observations:

1) PJ clearly needs to allot more tickets at venues. It seems that at every show in the last few years, at least some members of the 10C are getting shut out. The 10C repeatedly says that there are more requests than there are tickets.

My question is WHY? Personally, I don't really care if any tickets make their way to the public. If EVERY ticket in a given venue goes to a 10C member, then the party will be amazing. Why not have the 10C be sale be open to the entire venue for a predetermined period of time? Whatever is left, goes to Ticketmaster.

This seems like a logical solution. If this is not allowed by Ticketmaster, the fans should know why not and the logistics behind why not.

2) The new lottery sucks. I truly feel for the people with higher seniority than me who were completely shut out. I feel extremely blessed to have "won" the tickets I did. I was shut out of the Dallas show, like many, many others. I joined in 1998 and am seeing members with 3 months of 'seniority' getting tickets. My friend, my wife and I had to buy three separate singles just to get into the show. There is something seriously wrong with this picture. We cannot afford Stubhub prices, so that isn't an option.

I don't want to be a whiny members without offering suggestions. Why not divvy up the tickets as so:

Step 1: Make a list of each show and every member requesting tickets to that show
Step 2: Arrange the list of members (for each show) by seniority
Step 3: Grant the ticket requests by going down the list until the allotment is gone

I realize that decisions are made by people and people do the best they can, but the lottery seems like a poor solution to a growing problem of people getting shut out of shows. I realize that with the steps I offered above, people with low seniority numbers won't get in, but that is why the allotment HAS to change. Period. The bottom line seems that the club is growing, but the number of seats up for grabs is not.

I don't work for the 10C and don't pretend to know the pressure that these tickets sales must have on the employees. I sincerely appreciate the work that the 10C employees do. But to be blunt, I wouldn't be in the 10C if it weren't for the ticket presales to member. That, ultimately, is what keeps me renewing. However, that becomes more aggravating with every tour.

I was lucky enough to live in NYC between 1998-2010, so I was thankfully able to see PJ in abundance during those years. Now I live in New Mexico (the South) and know that PJ will play here maybe every decade if I'm lucky. Dallas is a ten hour drive and even with 15 year seniority in the 10C, I still have to sit away from my wife to see the show. :x

Thanks for listening.

Daniel
501st Member: TD-2243
------------------------------------------------------------
Too many shows to even begin to remember.
Long live The Pearl Jams!
------------------------------------------------------------
Some of my music...
https://soundcloud.com/fingerchili
------------------------------------------------------------H
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    edited July 2013
    1. there are 200.000 active members,so the demand is crazy,especially when alot of them goes to multiple shows
    2. 10-pj dont own the venues so cant take the whole tickets,the companies own them will not just give all the profit from fees they get from selling tix to pj just to satisfy their fan club members
    3. non 10c members are fans too you know,they should have the right to see the band..no one is bigger fan cos pays 20$ per year than any other fan out there
    4.seniority Always has to do with seat location and not with scoring tix..ALWAYS was that way
    seniority counts AFTER and IF you score tix..
    if seniority has to do with score tix there is no point someone to become a member for first time or renew membership if become members the last years
    5.lottery has nothing to do with seniority same the previious system..old -new members shut out no matter the method they sell the tix,lottery has nothing to do with old members shut out..
    with any system you can score or shut out
    6.we pay membership PER YEAR..for 2013 we all must have the same chances...why seniority play it role to score tix??noone will become new member then
    2013..ALL current members same chances to score fan club tickets..easy-fair-logic-..have a good night
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    1. there are 200.000 active members,so the demand is crazy,especially when alot of them goes to multiple shows
    2. 10-pj dont own the venues so cant take the whole tickets,the companies own them will not just give all the profit from fees they get from selling tix to pj just to satisfy their fan club members
    3. non 10c members are fans too you know,they should have the right to see the band..no one is bigger fan cos pays 20$ per year than any other fan out there
    4.seniority Always has to do with seat location and not with scoring tix..ALWAYS was that way
    if seniority has to do with score tix there is no point someone to become a member for first time or renew membership if become members the last years

There is no way you read past the first sentence. You just know how the story ends, and answered appropriately (I assume). :lol:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • 1. there are 200.000 active members,so the demand is crazy,especially when alot of them goes to multiple shows

There is no way you read past the first sentence. You just know how the story ends, and answered appropriately (I assume). :lol:

I agree with everything stated here. Except, where are you getting this 200k "active" members from. Can I take this to the bank (as they say...) or is this an estimate? If so it could be way off. Not challenging you (as I wouldn't dare do) but more curious of where that figure came from. I know the 10c keeps this number so hush hush as if it were the Fed Reserve being asked about the prospect of interest rates.
    2008 - 6/28, 6/30
    2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
    2010 - 5/15, 5/17, 5/20, 5/21
    2011 - 9/3/11, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12, 9/14
    2012 - 9/2
    2013 - 7/19, 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/25
    2014 - 6/16. 6/17, 6/20, 10/1

EV solo 8.1.08, 6.8.09, 6.15.11, 6.16.11

I agree with everything stated here. Except, where are you getting this 200k "active" members from. Can I take this to the bank (as they say...) or is this an estimate? If so it could be way off. Not challenging you (as I wouldn't dare do) but more curious of where that figure came from. I know the 10c keeps this number so hush hush as if it were the Fed Reserve being asked about the prospect of interest rates.
    Tim,Manager of 10c said it at recent interview
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Tim,Manager of 10c said it at recent interview

Good to know. I remember him (or maybe it was Kelly Curtis, no clue as my memory fails me now) being asked on the xmradio show a while back and refused to even "ballpark" for us. Thanks for the info and sorry for highjacking the thread.
    2008 - 6/28, 6/30
    2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
    2012 - 9/2

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    #1: I'm fairly certain it's not up to 10c or Pearl Jam how many tickets 10c gets for each venue. They can request and do their best, but at the end of the day, the venues dictate what 10c gets. I think we are fortunate that we are getting 10c only GA sections. I've never been to any other concert where the GA section is for fan club members only (and I go to A LOT of concerts!).

#2: I don't like the lottery either and that's all I have to say about that.
  • Suziemay wrote:

:thumbup: :lol:
    2008 - 6/28, 6/30
    2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
    2012 - 9/2

Suziemay wrote:

that normal someone to say,and its ok by me and i get it....
    but the OP mixed all,lottery,seniority,old members,shut out,seniority has to do with selling tix..etc..
    dont like lottery is different than lottery isnt fair and its lottery fault old members shut out..
  • 1. there are 200.000 active members,so the demand is crazy,especially when alot of them goes to multiple shows
    5.lottery has nothing to do with seniority same the previious system..old -new members shut out no matter the method they sell the tix,lottery has nothing to do with old members shut out..
    6.we pay membership PER YEAR..for 2013 we all must have the same chances...why seniority play it role to score tix??noone will become new member then
    2013..ALL current members same chances to score fan club tickets..easy-fair-logic-..have a good night

NUMBER 4 NOT ENTIRELY TRUE.......Back in 2000 it was the block... if you scored tickets you were put in a block and it depended how early you got on line the better the seat. So some guy who could have a higher number then me got in earlier would have a better seat ....just saying. I went to 13 shows in 2000 and learned the hard way on this rule.

scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • J-Dawg76J-Dawg76 Posts: 44
    Suziemay wrote:

AGREED!!!!

NUMBER 4 NOT ENTIRELY TRUE.......Back in 2000 it was the block... if you scored tickets you were put in a block and it depended how early you got on line the better the seat. So some guy who could have a higher number then me got in earlier would have a better seat ....just saying. I went to 13 shows in 2000 and learned the hard way on this rule.

scott
    2000 the numbers of members was like 200xxx??now its 500xxx..
    the demand is 5 times up and pj plays 3 times less shows per year..all is different now!!
    lets say then the last 10 years is how senioruty works
    Suziemay wrote:

but the OP mixed all,lottery,seniority,old members,shut out,seniority has to do with selling tix..etc..
    dont like lottery is different than lottery isnt fair and its lottery fault old members shut out..
    I didn't get past "The new lottery sucks" so I'm not sure what OP said about the lottery and why he doesn't like it :lol::lol::lol:

All I know is don't like it. I understand the thought behind it but I don't like it.
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327

scott

Yes they used block seating BUT what dimi was saying is that seniority has nothing to do with actually obtaining your tickets... how they sat members in 2000 was done AFTER you got your tickets which had nothing to do w/ seniority.
    Suziemay wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:

I didn't get past "The new lottery sucks" so I'm not sure what OP said about the lottery and why he doesn't like it :lol::lol::lol:

All I know is don't like it. I understand the thought behind it but I don't like it.
    i know!!i dont like that pj will never come to Greece again,but i suck it.. :lol::lol:
    The lottery provides a fair shake across the board to anyone who wants to request tickets... the old system was a hassle at best and a nightmare at worst...

F5ing til tickets showed up in your cart F5ing again til checkout... either way people come back here to the forum to bitch.
  • 6.we pay membership PER YEAR..for 2013 we all must have the same chances...why seniority play it role to score tix??noone will become new member then

Definitely one of the best points made on this site. And as a "newer" member (at least in terms of the bands history) it makes complete sense. I would never have joined/renewed if tickets depended on seniority. :thumbup:
    2008 - 6/28, 6/30
    2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
    2012 - 9/2

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    but i suck it.. :lol::lol:
    muLX7.gif
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    but i suck it.. :lol::lol:
    muLX7.gif
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

epic\

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    It has to be hard to accommodate everyone but the lottery is a product of fan demand and nothing else... I liked the way 10c did things in the old days... you pick 1 show and that's it. You're on your own for every other show... I think they stopped because so many people complained that they wanted to go to multiple shows... that opened up the can of worms they've been dealing with ever since... you could then go to multiple shows but weren't guaranteed each show you picked... they implemented block seating, which wasn't bad... but lining up for tickets sucked big time. Again, more complaining.... which led to the F5 clusterfuckery on PJ.com which was attempting to handle ticket-master-esque numbers... they didn't have the servers for that... again... more complaining... which leads to the 10c ticket lottery... more complaining... what will happen next?
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    edited July 2013
    Holding the majority of tickets for 10 club and releasing the small remainder to the public would essentially be scalping. Your idea creates a market where the main way of getting a ticket is by first paying a $20.00 premium on the ticket.
    Post edited by mookeywrench on
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    what will happen next?
    No more 10c tix, we all have to fend for ourselves with Ticketmaster :o
    It has to be hard to accommodate everyone but the lottery is a product of fan demand and nothing else... I liked the way 10c did things in the old days... you pick 1 show and that's it. You're on your own for every other show... I think they stopped because so many people complained that they wanted to go to multiple shows... that opened up the can of worms they've been dealing with ever since... you could then go to multiple shows but weren't guaranteed each show you picked... they implemented block seating, which wasn't bad... but lining up for tickets sucked big time. Again, more complaining.... which led to the F5 clusterfuckery on PJ.com which was attempting to handle ticket-master-esque numbers... they didn't have the servers for that... again... more complaining... which leads to the 10c ticket lottery... more complaining... what will happen next?
    will throw tic from empire state building or Space Needle and fans try to grab them

oh wait..the south will still complainig!!!
  • It has to be hard to accommodate everyone but the lottery is a product of fan demand and nothing else... I liked the way 10c did things in the old days... you pick 1 show and that's it. You're on your own for every other show... I think they stopped because so many people complained that they wanted to go to multiple shows... that opened up the can of worms they've been dealing with ever since... you could then go to multiple shows but weren't guaranteed each show you picked... they implemented block seating, which wasn't bad... but lining up for tickets sucked big time. Again, more complaining.... which led to the F5 clusterfuckery on PJ.com which was attempting to handle ticket-master-esque numbers... they didn't have the servers for that... again... more complaining... which leads to the 10c ticket lottery... more complaining... what will happen next?
    will throw tic from empire state building or Space Needle and fans try to grab them

oh wait..the south will still complainig!!!

On fire tonight :lol: . Glad I stayed up late drinking and checking out the forums. :mrgreen:
    2008 - 6/28, 6/30
    2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
    2012 - 9/2

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    Also, ditching the lottery means investing more money in servers that can handle the customer surge which only happens about twice a year...

Is this really worth higher member dues when in the end, it still doesn't guarantee you a ticket?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    Also, ditching the lottery means investing more money in servers that can handle the customer surge which only happens about twice a year...

Is this really worth higher member dues when in the end, it still doesn't guarantee you a ticket?
    very smart comment!!

this right here.

I don't understand why people don't get that the lottery system is just a more organized version of the previous system we had. Sure you have less control over it... but I'm willing to give up that control if it means not having the hassle of dealing w/ that poor system.
  • LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    I have been in the fan club since 1995 so I have also seen all the different versions of ticketing. Supply and demand is what has changed and no system is going to fix that. The nomadic nature of Pearl Jam fans also adds to the problem because people are not just trying to get tickets to one show but often many shows. The lottery seems to be showing everyone else what it is like to be a fan in the south. You just do not get as many shows. I think a lot of fans got spoiled from big tours and need to recognize the real issues. What people are gonna start doing is having multiple accounts to have better chances for the lottery and I am sure 10club has no issue with taking that money.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • They should go all ticketless to prevent scalpers.

If Radiohead/atoms for peace and iron maiden can do most of the good seats to the whole arena ticketless then there is no reason Pearl Jam cant do this.

Last year the whole key arena was ticketless tickets for Radiohead.
  • The nomadic nature of Pearl Jam fans also adds to the problem because people are not just trying to get tickets to one show but often many shows.

Definitely the largest impact on being successful in the 10c ticketing system. Even if you think back to the "F5" system, people would just keep trying until they got tickets and then just travel to wherever they were successful (this has been exacerbated with the lottery system; trying for tickets everywhere and then just going to that place). If you get a band that has fans that are less faithful (uggghhh I know, so cliche but true) then you don't have this problem.

For example...my sister does DMB (I know, relax. I'm not making a PJ vs. DMB comparison) warehouse. And yes there are certainly DMB diehards. But she joined 4-5 years ago at best. And she literally gets tickets to EVERY show she's every requested for (which is like 8-9 shows over that time, including Fenway and a successful pit drawing). Why is that? Because DMB plays everyfuckingwhere. So everyone stays local and goes to the 2-3 shows near them and they're happy with that. Can't say any of those factors play a role in this band/fan club. But the exact things that make this frustrating, make it awesome. Wouldn't change it for the world.
    2008 - 6/28, 6/30
    2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
    2012 - 9/2

• I must say that it sucks for anyone to be shut out of a show they want to see. With that said I am greatful for the lottery cause without it I would not have been given this awesome gift to see my most favorite band in the universe. I was a member when I was 15 and I remember cutting an add out of the back of a magazine and mailing in with a check for $10. I had to ask my mom to write the check after saving my allowance for two weeks. In return I received a tiny little magazine in the mail dedicated to pearl jam. I cherished them. After doing this for three years I moved out and had to pay for college so I could no longer afford it, but my love and passion for our favorite band never died. They have touched so many of our lives in so many different ways and I am thankful for that.with that being said, I have faith that the 10c doesn't WANT to leave anyone out. You can't make everyone happy.
    My first show was Lollapalooza 92 ATLANTA with my mom:)