Jack Johnson Sells 100% of Tickets

guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
edited August 2013 in The Porch
just thought it was interesting and really cool that jack johnson has managed to control 100% (apparently anyway) of the ticket sales through his own website/lottery system for his upcoming tour. Its on a smaller scale than a PJ tour, but he's playing some of the same venues eddie has. I wonder how his team managed to pull this off.
2005-9-12 London, ON
2006-5-09 Toronto
2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    guitar101 wrote:
    just thought it was interesting and really cool that jack johnson has managed to control 100% (apparently anyway) of the ticket sales through his own website/lottery system for his upcoming tour. Its on a smaller scale than a PJ tour, but he's playing some of the same venues eddie has. I wonder how his team managed to pull this off.
    Maybe they're not as money hungry :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    I'd be willing to bet that the venues he is playing are not Live Nation/Ticket Master venues.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    I'd be willing to bet that the venues he is playing are not Live Nation/Ticket Master venues.

Was thinking the same thing. But many places offer Club Seat Leasing & not just places operated by Live Nation / Ticketmaster. Ticket Atlantic pretty much takes care of events happening @ the Halifax Metro Centre, but they offer Club Seating, reserved seats to their paying members. http://www.halifaxmetrocentre.com/en/ho ... seats.aspx
  • guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    some of these are ticketmaster venues. not sure about live nation though.
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Then why are tickets for his shows being sold on ticketmaster/livenation?

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/search?tm_li ... ck+johnson
  • BMF2004BMF2004 Posts: 129
    I am so stoked to see Jack in Durham this October. The lottery system worked well this time in my opinion. There was a lot of complaining at first (and scalpers will always find a way) but passwords are still being sent out to purchase tickets. I actually received one last night and hooked a fan up!
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    If he effectively buys all the tickets up front, doesn't he control them?

My guess is he's flipped the model. He pays TM what they want. Pays the venue what they want. Then, takes the net proceeds of ticket sales as his income.

I'm sure the bigger you get, the tougher this would get to do. And you'd have to have a fairly competent staff that know what they are doing.

I'm sure PJ did similar to get a pit and a larger chunk of tix for this tour. And if true, they are probably in the right ball park. Why bother with the last row? Let TM deal with that. It's easy to sell the first 20 rows.

More folks out skinnin' cats.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Zod wrote:
    Then why are tickets for his shows being sold on ticketmaster/livenation?

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/search?tm_li ... ck+johnson

Because he couldn't sell them all on his tiny site.

TM does actually provide a service despite what some long haireds would have you think.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    He's doing a tour of small venues and knows there will be high ticket demand, so he used a lottery system and the only way you can buy tickets is to have your name chosen through the lottery. If your name is chosen you get a code, the code works just like a presale password and you purchase your tickets on ticketmaster. So far I have seen a very
    low number (like 1%) of tickets for his Vancouver show in the hands of scalpers.

It's cool if your name gets drawn but of course he is being criticized by people that wern't fortunate enough to get tickets.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Yeah my girlfriends sister won the Seattle lottery. I got the ticket email confirmation today. The lucky lottery seats are dead center 5 rows from the top of the balcony near the ceiling :lol::lol:

I'll stick with the Pearl Jam lottery if you don't mind.
    NERDS!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Was it the last tour that he gave 100% of all proceeds to charity? That is very f'n cool!
    Then again, doesn't PJ give $2 for every ticket sold to some charity too? :fp: :lol:
    However he does his tickets, PJ should take note.

Sucks that he's not playing in Phoenix this year. Last tour he stopped here and it was a blast! :thumbup:
  • Jack Johnson has sucked for 10 years... He should stick to surfing and stop making teenage girls music -
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Jack Johnson has sucked for 10 years... He should stick to surfing and stop making teenage girls music -
    :roll: :fp:
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    Didn't Ed do a similar thing on the solo tour?

From what I remember he played two nights in four cities in Florida. The first night was 10c only and the 2nd night was a ticketmaster sale.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Pottsy199Pottsy199 Posts: 138
    JJ did the lottery system for many of the "prime" seats but the Indy show where I live was open to the public today at 10am.
  • Bump.

A friend of mine asked me if I could track down tickets for her to the Chicago date, so I had a couple questions to figure out if it's even possible to get in at this point.

1) Is it will call only or some manner of paperless?
    2) How many tickets could you purchase if you won in the lottery?
    3) Anyone have an extra? :D
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    I don't see how the jack johnson method is any better. I was fortunate enough to win the lottery in Vancouver, but I know several friends who usually have no problem getting tickets who got shut out. The sales were through ticket master, it's not like Jack controls the tickets, the lottery just gave you a unique single use password to buy tickets. Once you have the code, it's just like buying any normal tickets, they're not paperless, nor do you have to show ID at the door. The Jack Johnson system, while novel, just adds the hurdle of having to win by registering your email address. This means for the average fan who has one or maybe two email addresses they can enter the lottery once or twice. But for the no good scalper, who makes his or her business off of tickets, they can sit there all day setting up various email accounts and entering literally 100's of times. When you really think of it, the average fan is actually screwed more by that system than just a normal onsale.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    HIs concerts have gone down hill since 2004. They were better when it was just a trio.
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Off topic:

In 2005 I went to 7 concerts in 10 days. 6 Pearl Jam, 1 Jack Johnson.

I was so tired at the Jack show (Toronto) I feel asleep in general admission. The joint didn't help.

But before I passed out, I remember wanting to get nice and close... but there were a bunch of teeny bopper girls that sort of ruined the experience for me.

I still love Jack... always will. He makes quality albums. Easy listening :)
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • DS107374DS107374 Posts: 92
    guitar101 wrote:

Money hungry? C'mon. If you think they're selling too much merchandise, don't buy it. I don't get the reality that you people live in, EVERYTHING has gotten more expensive over the course of the past few years yet the ticket prices are still extremely reasonable. Record sales don't happen anymore, practically all of the money they make comes from merchandise and ticket sales and yet people bitch. Should the tickets be $26.50 again? Should they only sell one type of shirt? Seriously, almost 1/2 the posts I see on this board are negative pertaining to how money hungry these guys have become and it's tiring.

We obviously know after Wrigley that there is someone directly tied to this band that monitors the message boards let's be a little more cognizant of that when we want to say they've become so greedy. It works both ways, they don't just see the "Help, Help" requests. And frankly, I hope they don't see that one.

I would bet that it's a lot less expensive for Jack Johnson to tour. I would bet that there are a lot less people working for him that need to get paid.

I can guarantee you that if as many people actually cared about Jack Johnson as Pearl Jam he'd be doing it differently. To compare Jack Johnson, or even Eddie solo to a Pearl Jam show is not the same thing.
    Randall's Island, NY 9/29/96; Camden, NJ 9/2/00; Philadelphia, PA 10/3/05; East Rutherford, NJ 6/1/06; Virginia Beach, VA 6/17/08; Camden, NJ 6/19/08; Philadelphia, PA 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
  • DS107374 wrote:
    Money hungry? C'mon. If you think they're selling too much merchandise, don't buy it. I don't get the reality that you people live in, EVERYTHING has gotten more expensive over the course of the past few years yet the ticket prices are still extremely reasonable. Record sales don't happen anymore, practically all of the money they make comes from merchandise and ticket sales and yet people bitch. Should the tickets be $26.50 again? Should they only sell one type of shirt? Seriously, almost 1/2 the posts I see on this board are negative pertaining to how money hungry these guys have become and it's tiring.

We obviously know after Wrigley that there is someone directly tied to this band that monitors the message boards let's be a little more cognizant of that when we want to say they've become so greedy. It works both ways, they don't just see the "Help, Help" requests. And frankly, I hope they don't see that one.

I would bet that it's a lot less expensive for Jack Johnson to tour. I would bet that there are a lot less people working for him that need to get paid.

I can guarantee you that if as many people actually cared about Jack Johnson as Pearl Jam he'd be doing it differently. To compare Jack Johnson, or even Eddie solo to a Pearl Jam show is not the same thing.
    +1
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Edved007Edved007 Milwaukee, WI Posts: 1,020
    In a slightly related note, Mumford & Sons (regardless of yoru opinion of their music) does make a very good effort to keep tickets in fans hands too. You have to register your email address on their stie when a show is announced, then when tickets go on sale, they pull emails at random and send you your invitation with a password to go buy them at TM.com. They do this in rounds to control the traffic on the site, and keep doing it until A. all the tickets are gone or B. all the people that registereed emails had a chance to buy tickets, then anything that's left goes to public sale (which is usually nothing). Then, if it's possible at the venue, your tickets are totally paperless. You show your credit card when you go to the show and they scan it and print you a receipt with your seats on it in case you need to show an usher or something.

There are obviously pros and cons to this system too, but it's a good start. Every system is able to to be taken advantage of in some way, and every stystem has it's draw backs, but it's decent start and if nothing else it keeps the ticket sites from crashing, so that's at least one less thing to worry about. Personally, I registered every email address I could think of including my dogs! That way I had more shots at getting pulled early for good seats. Also nice you don't have to pay to be in a club or anything like that just for a chance at tickets, just put your name in the hat and hope for the best.
    95' - 7/9
    98' - 6/26, 6/27, 6/29, 8/26, 9/22
    03' - 4/25
    06' - 6/29, 6/30
    07' - 8/05
    09' - 8/23
    11' - 9/03, 9/04
    12' - 9/30
    13' - 7/16, 7/19, 10/21, 10/22, 11/15, 11/16, 12/06
    14' - 06/28, 06/29, 10/1, 10/03, 10/16, 10/17, 10/20, 10/22
    15' - 11/20, 11/22
    16' - 4/21, 4/26, 4/28, 4/29, 5/1, 5/2, 7/9, 8/5, 8/7, 8/20, 8/22
    17' - 4/7
    18' - 7/1, 7/3, 7/5, 8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20, 9/4
    21' - 10/1, 10/2
    22' - 7/12, 7/14, 9/6, 9/8
  • GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    You cant be serious......

mca47 wrote:
    Jack Johnson has sucked for 10 years... He should stick to surfing and stop making teenage girls music -
    :roll: :fp:
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    Dude, Jack is a pretty big deal.... GLOABLLY!
    DS107374 wrote:
    guitar101 wrote:

"thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • mikerlmikerl Posts: 580

While i dont necessarily disagree about his music, i understand that its just my own opinion. Many people (certainly not myself, as i am a freak like the rest of you) would say the same about pearl jam.. most people, that aren't big fans, pretty much think pearl jam has sucked for the last 15 years...
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mikerl wrote:

While i dont necessarily disagree about his music, i understand that its just my own opinion. Many people (certainly not myself, as i am a freak like the rest of you) would say the same about pearl jam.. most people, that aren't big fans, pretty much think pearl jam has sucked for the last 15 years...
    I feel like that about his earlier music, like the Curious George days, but he has really matured in the past 5 years or so. I used to hate his music, but now I like him quite a bit. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    He sure did. I also do not have tickets for Jack Johnson at the Ryman, after having five entries in the lottery among my family members. However, I am seeing Pearl Jam in Philadephia both nights. So who's really taking care of their fans?
    "It's all happening"